Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Decline of the EPL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 54>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 10:55pm
The reason they’re so far clear is that they’re having a dream season, absolutely incredible stuff. 
Meanwhile all their would-be rivals have regressed. 

They’ll go unbeaten I think and hit somewhere around 105 points.
No one in the league is capable of getting points off them. 
Sponsored Links

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 10:57pm
When the league is wrapped up and if they’re still in Europe, they’ll start to rest players and will drop points. It’s so hard to maintain that level. They’ll end up with a couple of losses and a couple of draws.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 8:10am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

When the league is wrapped up and if they’re still in Europe, they’ll start to rest players and will drop points. It’s so hard to maintain that level. They’ll end up with a couple of losses and a couple of draws.

Quite possibly but I can still see them winning the league by 10/12 points.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 8:42am
one horse race uncompetitive league, even the SPL is more competitive which says something

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 8:50am
Overall if you look at the CL the last few years the English teams have been strong on average. Nearly all the English teams have made the knock out stages (wasn’t there 5 a few years in the CL) and been getting to a few finals recently.

They haven’t won many but I think they will dominate more in the next 3-5 years.

The EL will be the same. Man U and Chelsea have won recently. I suspect English teams will dominate more with the champions league place at stake. 

The league has serious amounts of money. I believe West Ham are in the top 20 richest European clubs.

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

one horse race uncompetitive league, even the SPL is more competitive which says something

In the past 10 years only one team has won B2B titles.
Winners - ManU, Chelsea, City, Lesta and now Liverpool.

Compare that to Italy (Juve have won 8 in a row)
Germany (Bayern 7 in a row)
France (PSG 6/7)
Spain (Split between Barca & Real, only AM managed to win one in the last 15 years)

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

With Liverpool sixteen points clear of Man city with a game in hand is this  just a reflection on how much of a quality team Liverpool are or have the others declined so badly that Liverpool could dominate the EPL for years to come?
Liverpool are dominating Europe this season and last, plus the World Club Championships. They're having a great season, lets leave it at that
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

With Liverpool sixteen points clear of Man city with a game in hand is this  just a reflection on how much of a quality team Liverpool are or have the others declined so badly that Liverpool could dominate the EPL for years to come?
Liverpool are dominating Europe this season and last, plus the World Club Championships. They're having a great season, lets leave it at that

It has certainly been one of the poorest seasons quality wise in recent memory, the standard of any would-be challengers has been exceptionally low. I don't however think that means Liverpool will dominate the league for years to come - other teams have the financial resources that they do and have maximised them in different years, or have come to the top of their cycle, Liverpool are doing it this year just as City did last. Tough to look beyond those two for next year, though it would be great if Rodgers could continue to progress Leicester

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 20 Jan 2020 at 9:37am
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 11:59am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

It has certainly been one of the poorest seasons quality wise in recent memory, the standard of any would-be challengers has been exceptionally low. I don't however think that means Liverpool will dominate the league for years to come - other teams have the financial resources that they do and have maximised them in different years, or have come to the top of their cycle, Liverpool are doing it this year just as City did last. Tough to look beyond those two for next year, though it would be great if Rodgers could continue to progress Leicester
Be interesting to see what happens to Liverpool squad tho, will Barcelona/Real come knocking for VVD, Salah, Mane, TAA? There's no "one-man-team" to take like Suarez, Hazard etc of English teams. If they can hold them together for another 3/4 years they will definitely stay competing with City or whoever
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 12:05pm
Of all their star players I could only see Salah possibly moving in the next few years.
Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 12:56pm
Guardiola and Klopp have brought the Premier League up to a new level, it is now up to the other clubs to try and raise their standards to try and challenge.Before Guardiola and Klopp arrived in England the Premier League was considered a bit of a joke in Europe.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 3:03pm

If Liverpool were in the SPL, La Liga, Serie A, Budesliga or the AUL, they would most likely be unbeaten in their domestic league at this stage. That's where they are now. It's funny that people talk about the strength of the league to downplay a team that are not far off going down as one of the all time great club sides.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

If Liverpool were in the SPL, La Liga, Serie A, Budesliga or the AUL, they would most likely be unbeaten in their domestic league at this stage. That's where they are now. It's funny that people talk about the strength of the league to downplay a team that are not far off going down as one of the all time great club sides.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Liverpool can be one of the all time great sides and it can be, apart from them, one of the poorest league seasons quality-wise in living memory - which it is. 
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 3:29pm
People say that, but at the same time Man City are favs for the CL. Most of the English sides in the Europa are considered to be in with a great chance if winning it. 

Btw I'm not saying the PL is full of top quality teams, but it's always been that way, as has most leagues. I mean if the PL is really falling away standard wise, what is the actual standard like comparatively in these other top European leagues? I believe if Man City were in Serie A, they'd win it comfortably. Bundesliga the same. Ligue 1 the same. They'd win La Liga also, where there has been a massive decline in the big sides in comparison to 3/4 years ago.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

The reason they’re so far clear is that they’re having a dream season, absolutely incredible stuff.

See my post just now on the Liverpool thread:
https://forum.ybig.ie/liverpool-fc-thread_topic31817_page1329.html

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

They’ll go unbeaten I think and hit somewhere around 105 points.
No one in the league is capable of getting points off them. 

I wouldn't bet against it, but football is such a random game that there must still be a decent chance of a totally unexpected result or two somewhere during the remaining 16 games - esp if they get tangled up in the CL and FA Cup.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 3:40pm
How do people feel the current Liverpool team compares to the unbeaten Arsenal one?

I suppose different eras so difficult to compare.

Edited by Double Maxim - 20 Jan 2020 at 3:47pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

It has certainly been one of the poorest seasons quality wise in recent memory, the standard of any would-be challengers has been exceptionally low.
If that is correct, then you would expect the "exception" to revert to the mean, in the same way as eg Leicester's title-winning season was unable to be repeated.

In other words, it may be that it's as much LFC's season which has been "exceptional" as the others.

More generally, we'll maybe know better whether you're correct about the overall quality by how PL clubs do in Europe.

So far, they're doing well.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 3:55pm

How do people feel the current Liverpool team compares to the unbeaten Arsenal one?

I suppose different eras so difficult to compare.

That Arsenal team were brilliant but I think they lacked the squad depth to do what Liverpool are doing, which is properly challenging on domestic and European fronts. Them not winning the '04 CL was a big let down in the end. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 54>
  Share Topic