Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liverpool FC thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13271328132913301331 1455>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 5:11pm
GLOATers*

*Greatest Liverpoolteam Of All Time (hat tip J. Wilson)

Edited by sid waddell - 18 Jan 2020 at 5:11pm
Sponsored Links

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

City dropping points on purpose to fuel the agenda against Liverpool fans is a particularly unsporting move IMO.

That's one of the most pathetic posts I've seen on here in a while.

I think Manchester City deliberately drew because they wanted to spread the narrative on the INTERNET that its a poor league and thus Liverpool's title will be devalued 

That's really piss Liverpool supporters off no end, it'll completely destroy them, yeah
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 5:16pm
Everybody needs to calm down and remember that Newcastle blew the title in 1996 when they were in the EXACT SAME SITUATION as Liverpool are in now

The EXACT SAME SITUATION
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 5:28pm
the bookies pay out already?

Edited by t_rAndy - 18 Jan 2020 at 5:28pm
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

City dropping points on purpose to fuel the agenda against Liverpool fans is a particularly unsporting move IMO.

That's one of the most pathetic posts I've seen on here in a while.

ah HorseLOL

I'm taking it as a compliment, I've been on the Glenn Whelan thread!
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 4:40pm
This will be the famous day when Liverpool's collapse starts
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 4:47pm
The collapse has started
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 4:48pm
Any decent links ?
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Any decent links ?

hesgoal.com usually has the gaems on daithi

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 4:53pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 4:57pm
VARchester United
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 5:45pm
Thumbs Up thks lads

Edited by daithi - 19 Jan 2020 at 5:46pm
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 6:22pm
That nervy last 15 mins shows why Liverpool won't win the title

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 6:23pm
Liverpool bottling it again I see Wink

Their supporters really are some deluded idiots aren't they Big smile
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 1:57pm
The last 6 fixtures were tricky for Liverpool and incredibly they won them all. Wolves up next but that's the end of them then for a while. 
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

The last 6 fixtures were tricky for Liverpool and incredibly they won them all. Wolves up next but that's the end of them then for a while. 

Nothing incredible about Liverpool winning all of those fixtures tbf. There will always be the odd day that they will drop points, but in general they are in a place now where they expect to win every single PL fixture they play in. They really are that far ahead of every team in the PL this season.

Last year in the PL they lost 1 game, but they drew a few. I think the realisation dawned over the summer that there was to be no game from now on where this team should see a drawn game as a good result. If it happens, it happens, but you don't go out onto the pitch aiming not to lose instead of pushing for the win, or with half an hour left in a match settling for a draw. 

In one way it's a pity Liverpool have the CL games coming up, as it wouldn't be a surprise to me at all if they ended the PL season unbeaten with only 1/2 draw otherwise and an obliteration of all league records. The CL complicates things greatly if they go to around the semi final stage, as Liverpool will no doubt hugely rotate their starting 11 in 5/6  PL fixtures if they do go deep in the CL. Even at that though,  Liverpool will finish on 100 plus points in the PL.

The real goal now is back to back CL titles. Keeping everyone fit and ready to go at full tilt for those massive games is now the name of the game. If they do keep everyone fit and in form, I think they'll be very hard to stop.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 20 Jan 2020 at 2:59pm
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 3:29pm
Do Not Shoot The Messenger!

I was listening to "More or Less", a BBC Radio programme on Statistics the other day, which included a piece on LFC's season:
(Not sure if available outside UK?)

Anyhow, they had Jake Osgathorpe on, an analyst with https://infogol.net

He/his firm studies sports statistics, in this case LFC's season to date. They collated their statistics for Expected Goals, up to and including their 21st game of the season, a 1-0 win away to Spurs.

After 10k simulations of the goals and statistics from LFC's games, they were "completely unable to land on any which gave them 61 points after 21 games".

The best which could be expected statistically gave up 18 wins and 3 draws - and that was a once in 800 season event!

How to explain? There are lots of positive variants where LFC exceeded expectations eg 10 wins by a single goal, which is very high. To take a recent example, it was accepted even by LFC fans that they were somewhat lucky to get away with that 1-0 win at Spurs, where Lo Celso missed the easiest chance of the game ("expected goal" or what?). In fact, their biggest wins have been a 4-0, a 4-1 and a 5-2 - imo hardly reflective of a team which is otherwise so obviously the best in the league.

More interestingly, analysed purely on Expected Goals, Man City would actually be ahead of LFC and so are "really unfortunate" to be 14 points back (at that stage). Statistically speaking, they should be "a lot closer", leading to a "real title challenge".

Meanwhile by another measure, the effect of VAR on games this season, I can't find the most recent figures I saw, but by this analysis to 31 Dec 2019, without VAR, LFC would have had 5 points fewer at that stage, whereas M.City would have had 3 points more (i.e. 6 points behind in the title race):
(Which is not to say that all those VAR decisions were wrong, indeed it may be that the decisions were actually more reliable than those of the referees)

Anyhow, it will be interesting to note whether these statistical anomalies are repeated during the second half of the season, not that it would make any difference to the eventual outcome - after 21 games, Osgathorpe calaculated the title as being 98% LFC and 2% M.City, with the 22nd round surely closing the door firmly shut (barring only a Saracens-type fall by LFC!)

But as I said, Do Not Shoot The Messenger!

Edited by Territorial - 20 Jan 2020 at 3:32pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:44pm
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Senor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13271328132913301331 1455>
  Share Topic