You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Qualification Group D Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 190>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Austria 
 I'd Expect us to take 2 points out of 6 If we're lucky,they dismantled us in the last campaign and made a decent well organised Swedish side look average in this current campaign. 

Wales 
4 points out of 6 at the least it's hard to know how this group of players will look after the Euros if Wales don't perform well at the summer like their expecting we could see a very different side to what's being shown now. Bale and Ramsay seem passionate and willing to play for and perform for Wales, something Giggs and to a lesser extent Bellamy, we don't play them till March 2017 so a lot will depend on how the trips to Belgrade and Vienna go.

Serbia. 
4 points out of 6 Belgrade will be a tough place to go, as mentioned we haven't had a big away win still under MON can't see it happening next September,but here's an unfortunate positive situation in their past two groups the Serbians have been docked points could easily happen again given their history and their fans. 

Georgia
I'll go for 6 out of 6 but not certain, the unfortunate time about playing these is the fixture dates away in September 2017 around the same time they put the Scots out of the group, mark my words these will takes points of either ourselfs, Austria or Serbia,Wales a very tough place to go. 

Moldova 
6 out of 6 straight forward.

Did they though? Drew 2-2 in Dublin with a 93rd minute equaliser and had to wait until the 84th minute to beat us 1-0 in the return leg in Vienna and that was in a campaign where we weren't even playing well.

The Away game may be disregarded as we needed to beat Sweden a few days previous and didn't we never looked like dangering them though. I believe in the first leg they tore us a part we played some okay football to get back into the game and take the lead, and Long missed a great chance that night too if I remember, but at the same time early periods of the game and the late stages of the match they destroyed us and we're far more technical considering having a similar pool of players as we did back then.
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Sponsored Links

GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:11am

Austria 
 I'd Expect us to take 2 points out of 6 If we're lucky,they dismantled us in the last campaign and made a decent well organised Swedish side look average in this current campaign. 

Wales 
4 points out of 6 at the least it's hard to know how this group of players will look after the Euros if Wales don't perform well at the summer like their expecting we could see a very different side to what's being shown now. Bale and Ramsay seem passionate and willing to play for and perform for Wales, something Giggs and to a lesser extent Bellamy, we don't play them till March 2017 so a lot will depend on how the trips to Belgrade and Vienna go.

Serbia. 
4 points out of 6 <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Belgrade will be a tough place to go, as mentioned we haven't had a big away win still under MON can't see it happening next September,but here's an unfortunate positive situation in their past two groups the </span>Serbians have been docked points could easily happen again given their history and their fans. 

Georgia
I'll go for 6 out of 6 but not certain, the unfortunate time about playing these is the fixture dates away in September 2017 around the same time they put the Scots out of the group, mark my words these will takes points of either ourselfs, Austria or Serbia,Wales a very tough place to go. 

Moldova 

Did they though? Drew 2-2 in Dublin with a 93rd minute equaliser and had to wait until the 84th minute to beat us 1-0 in the return leg in Vienna and that was in a campaign where we weren't even playing well.
We were severely outplayed in Vienna, can't remember the home game too well mind in terms of how they game went but as you said they only managed a draw with the last kick of the game.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:38am
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Austria 

Wales 

Serbia. 
4 points out of 6 <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Belgrade will be a tough place to go, as mentioned we haven't had a big away win still under MON can't see it happening next September,but here's an unfortunate positive situation in their past two groups the </span>Serbians have been docked points could easily happen again given their history and their fans. 

Georgia

Moldova 

We were severely outplayed in Vienna, can't remember the home game too well mind in terms of how they game went but as you said they only managed a draw with the last kick of the game.

I remember the home game well. We played way too deep for the last half hour or so and conceded possession and territory to them, making us look like the away side and them look like Brazil. It was a disgraceful way for a home side to play against a team of similar ability.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:45am
I just remember Conor Sammon coming on for Long in the second half. And us sitting back inviting them on. It was depressing stuff.

It's fair to say we're a different team to the 2013 team. In fairness so are Austria.

I wouldn't look too much into what happened in 2013 or in 1995 for that matter.

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:53am

Austria 

Wales 

Serbia. 
4 points out of 6 Belgrade will be a tough place to go, as mentioned we haven't had a big away win still under MON can't see it happening next September,but here's an unfortunate positive situation in their past two groups the Serbians have been docked points could easily happen again given their history and their fans. 

Georgia

Moldova 

Austria - also wouldn't have said they destroyed us last time. We should have beat them in Dublin and got at least a draw in Vienna. They've improved since then so would happily take 2 draws against them.

Georgia - arguably the toughest and most awkward team we could have got from Pot 6 - just ask Scotland! WinkLOL
Joking aside though, look at the hard work we made of beating them in both games, we needed a touch of magic from McGeady to win it in Tblisi and some neat footwork by Hendrick to set up the winner in Dublin. Taking nothing for granted and will happily take 1-0 wins from both games.

Moldova - 6 points, don't think there's much discussion needed there.

So Wales and Serbia will be the key games, hard to know how those games will go tbh, and that's before you even factor in the behaviour of Serbia's fans who I wouldn't be surprised to see costing their side priceless points again with their antics. Let's assume, just for now, their fans don't do anything stupid to drop their team in it again. If the Serbian team take their Euro 2016 form into these qualifiers I would fancy our chances of beating them in Dublin (I'd take a draw over there). Otherwise, with the young talent coming through from the U-20 World Cup that a few others have mentioned here, they could be the bogey side that trips us up. Meanwhile I wouldn't actually be surprised if we draw both games against Wales assuming Bale is fit and on form.

To sum up I think we should still have enough about us to at least make the play-offs. But, as we know, things can easily change between now and next September eg form depending on performances at the Euros, injuries to key players etc. After all, there are quite a few assumptions I've been making here.

The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:58am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

I just remember Conor Sammon coming on for Long in the second half. And us sitting back inviting them on. It was depressing stuff.

It's fair to say we're a different team to the 2013 team. In fairness so are Austria.

And another interesting stat is we met Austria both times just before our manager was fired and when our team was in decline. Hard to get a handle on how good Austria are at the moment. The 4-1 win in Sweden may have been a freak and misleading result, bearing in mind they won many of their other qualifiers 1-0 (and only drew with the Swedes at home).
Guest View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 1:09am
I expect a lot of draws.

Serbia v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - D
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Georgia - W
Moldova v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - W
Austria v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND  - D
 REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Wales - D
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Austria - D
Georgia v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - W
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Serbia - D
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Moldova - W
Wales v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - D

So 18 points and possibly 2nd place depending on GD.

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 1:14am
More draws than a John Wayne western
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 1:29am
If we perform to a good standard in  Euro 2016, keeping in mind we haven't lost at the Aviva under MON in a competitive game and the potential players we have to step up.

Serbia v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - D
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Georgia - W
Moldova v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - W
Austria v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND  - D
 REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Wales - W
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Austria - W
Georgia v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - D
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Serbia - W
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Moldova - W
Wales v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - D

Us v Wales and Austria right after are the defining factors for me. Expecting 6 points, this Serbia side.. may have won an u20 but they're not key senior players currently nor will they be in September. Poorer side then Bosnia, we're taking about 2 one team players in Wales and Austria also Bale and Alaba. This is our best opportunity in 13 years to make it to a WC, I've this before MON will be our 'new' Jack Charlton and deliver when it matters.  As for Austria the some folk thought Bosnia would kill us, we're simply too organised under MON Alaba won't be given the time/ nor space and their key players other then Alaba are the wrong side of 29.. If we get something from Belgrade which is what i feat the most then onwards anyone could top this group. 

RANDOLPH 

Coleman         Keogh           Clark      Christie 

Hendrick      Whelan        McCarthy    Brady 

Arter 
                            Long 

Dream team

Elliot

Coleman       Keogh    Clark     Christie 

Nathan Redmond  Arter McCarthy   Brady 

Alan Judge 
                       Shane Long/ Joe Mason/ 'Paddy' Bamford

Whelan will still be 31 come September, come the end of the campaign Arter to slip back into midfield with Alan Judge dropping into the Number 10.
Patrick Bamford to get the papers changed, due to our lack of striking options and Englands abundance he's bound to fancy it. He'd be a complete idiot not to, could offer us a real option with Long and Mason and our striker problem is solved. Arter plays 10 for Bournemouth can't see a transitional change there with a green jersey. 

As for Redmond, he said after the u21 he'd consider his options openly mentioning us and tweeting support for us, so why not! #Daretodream

Edited by SByrne24 - 26 Nov 2015 at 1:33am
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 1:35am
Jaysus Byrner. We haven't turned into Spain!

O'Neills tactics mean we are more inclined to win at home but more likely to lose away.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 1:39am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Jaysus Byrner. We haven't turned into Spain!

O'Neills tactics mean we are more inclined to win at home but more likely to lose away.

4 points of Germany TJ! If we can get 4 of Germany and Bosnia, we can certainly get 4 of Wales and Austria thats for sure! Wales struggled to break down Andorra at home for large spells, and I'm simply not buying the Austria buzz. 84th min away and a wonder strike from Alaba in added time... they hardly battered us. Are Austria better then Poland? I'd defiantly argue they're not.

Keep in mind before MON germany beat us 6-1, 3-0... crowded WC  under MON while Germany are WC 1-0 and 1-1... That speaks huge volumes for me.

Edited by SByrne24 - 26 Nov 2015 at 1:39am
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 1:47am
"potential players we have to step up"
Follows that up by putting in arter, in place of wes and Nathan Redmond
Haha ah SByrne!
Nathan Redmond? Really? the current English U21 player and someone who has played all the way through their age grade, not once opting for Ireland.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Not sure about the mass retirements, other than the obvious.  Keane, Given , O'Shea will call it a day, the likes of Forde might as well, Whelan retiring is probably wishful thinking by his army of detractors, but he is one of the most committed players we have, be surprised if he did meself. Hoolahan may have the age profile to retire, but given his late international career, may wish to get a bit more out of it, Walters much the same to a degree, Murphy would probably call quits on it alright, he was close to doing so last year. 

You're getting a bit too hung up on the word retirement I also said "maintain their current level". That's the big question. It doesn't matter what you're game is be it pace or strength players in their mid 30s need game time managed.
Take Walters as an example. It was probably a blessing that he was suspended for the first leg of the play off. He was fresh as a daisy and ready to make a big impact. I've no doubt only playing one game had a big impact on his performance.

I'm not really too hung up on anything, your exact words were ;

It's impossible to answer this one as I'd expect a massive swathe of retirements after the Euros. At the moment we've a very top heavy over 30 squad. If even one of the following group stays on/maintains their current form for the WC Qualifiers we'd probably be doing well. 
Wes, Keane, O'Shea, Murphy, Walters and Whelan. 
Bar Keane those are all integral first teamers. I'd struggle to name 6 players to replace them.

I don't think there will be, as pointed out above.

As regards yer point about lads maintaining form, that is a very valid one as players get older, but MON has gone the opposite of his NI counterpart in this campaign (the North's MON was praising the fact he had a settled team as opposed to the last campaign), our version has gone for the horses for courses approach and changed the team frequently, albeit some of that forced by injury/suspension. Would agree that some lads may have to be managed, but not a lot ya can do about that given the relative lack of choice we have. 

Think it will be more of the same for the next campaign, there may not be a direct replacement for each player mentioned, but there is a choice of a few lads to come in & do a job in a specific game. 

Brady could possibly replace Wes, if we find a left back (that isn't Ward, he is a possible retirement come to think of it)

Keane- We are more or less nearly getting by without him these days, there isn't going to be another like him that we can currently see, but will have to make do with what is left out of Long/Walters and the fringe fellas like possibly Mason. We could be very short here after Euros if Doyle & Murphy go the same way as Keane surely will. Can nobody mention Cox or Stokes thanks, that would be great. 

O'Shea- Still have a choice of Clark/Keogh/Wilson available, the likes of Duffy could step up to at least a squad place. McShane & Pearce will probably be hanging about in the background for another while too, even if they are themselves getting on. 

Whelan- Probably won't go just yet, but still have McCarthy & Hendrick, Arter might step up, Gibson might get a late injury free bit of his career & nail down a place, Meyler will still be about too. Mind you Gibson must be touch & go for the squad at this stage & if he doesn't make it, may well feck off in a huff, wouldn't be the first time. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 1:57am

"potential players we have to step up"
Follows that up by putting in arter, in place of wes and Nathan Redmond
Haha ah SByrne!
Nathan Redmond? Really? the current English U21 player and someone who has played all the way through their age grade, not once opting for Ireland.

Wes is 33, he'll be 35 come the end of the qualifying. We've lads moaning about Robbie at the minute, same lads will be moaning. Arter is our future 10 with Judge we have to look to the forward.
He's played u21? Ciaran Clark played with England to u20.. Infact he captained them all his youth. Redmond has openly admitting an interest..

I qualify to play for the Republic of Ireland seniors, too.

"So when the time hopefully comes to play international football, I’ll have to decide [between England, and the Republic of Ireland]. But right now I just want to focus on having a strong Premier League season."

Now, let's scout his Twitter.

@NathanRedmond22: Good luck ROI 💪🏽

Now, we've fcuking hope with him. Woy would rather have Jesse Lingaard and hopefully Grealish is in the championship getting hammered and mon can go well Nathan look at Grealish who could be on an international stage but look at him now.

We have to look to the future. I love Wes.. But Wes is the wrong side of 33.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 3:40am

None of that was my point SByrne!

It's ridiculous to say that we have lots of options to replace 100+ cap players and then name a lad that regularly pulls out of squads with injuries and another that's in England's international set up and has shown zero interest to the contrary.
As for Twitter I can show you 101 tweets from Jack grealish with shamrocks that's everyone on here was convinced meant he was only going to choose Ireland! The first 200 pages of his thread on here is packed with messages like that.
If I tweet about Scarlett Joahansen does that mean I'm shagging her? By your logic it does!
I can tell you right now what will happen with Redmond. He'll finish up with the u21s, if he's not relegated inside the next couple of seasons he'll dream of an England cap and when/if it doesn't materialise we might and only might cross his mind then when he's in his mid 20s and he realises he's at the back of a long que.

Edited by Bitored - 26 Nov 2015 at 3:45am
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Pubes View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 8:05am
Serbia (a) September 5, 2016
Biggest game of the group I believe - we win we are the team to beat and chase. But I'm thinking it'll be a DRAW with a possible victory
Georgia (h) October 6
Our first double header and it couldn't be better. We have beat Georgia over and over again and an away trip to Moldova next means we can play our full strength team vs Georgia and WIN
Moldova (a) October 9
A WIN and maybe a chance for players to break into the team with couple changes
Austria (a) November 12
Toughest game we will face in the group. A result here and we will surely stay in the top 2 - we are capable of a DRAW
Wales (h) March 24, 2017
Massive game again-if playing Scotland is anything to go by we don't fare well against those teams close to us and players we know all too well..but at home we should WIN
Austria (h) June 11
If we were to win this we would top the group but I can't see it - DRAW
Georgia (a) September 2
Our toughest double header this time, which still isn't too bad! I have to go for the WIN as we have done it before and we are a better team!
Serbia (h) September 5
Home WIN -boom
Moldova (h) October 6
Easy WIN - celebrations begin- were going to the World Cup with a point against Wales
Wales (a) October
A chance to go a campaign unbeaten just like 2002 campaign and the glory days are back, we get a DRAW and we're going to win the World Cup!
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 10:17am

It's impossible to answer this one as I'd expect a massive swathe of retirements after the Euros. At the moment we've a very top heavy over 30 squad. If even one of the following group stays on/maintains their current form for the WC Qualifiers we'd probably be doing well.
Wes, Keane, O'Shea, Murphy, Walters and Whelan.
Bar Keane those are all integral first teamers. I'd struggle to name 6 players to replace them.

Wes -> Judge, Artur
Keane -> Long, O'Brien
O'Shea -> Clark, Duffy
Murphy -> Mason (heck, anyone for that matter!)
Whelan -> Byrne, Meyler, Gibson

I Think Walters is the only one irreplaceable at the moment

Edited by Stimpy - 26 Nov 2015 at 10:18am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 10:21am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Long rarely played 90 minutes due to an ongoing hip\back injury and Sammonn was the highest scorer of any Irish player at that time.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 190>
  Share Topic