Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=52956
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 6:57pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: World Cup Qualification Group D Thread
Posted By: rolo
Subject: World Cup Qualification Group D Thread
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 3:37pm
Its that time again, after a campaign has finished when we usually have to look ahead to the start of the next campaign.
Obviously we have the welcome situation where we we have qualified and so we dont have to spend the next ten months on here looking ahead to the future and hoping things will be better next time.
But it is still worth looking ahead. And actually we do have to hope things will be better next time. 3rd place wont cut it.

The main hope has to be that the team head to Serbia in September with the current high spirits and resolve unbroken having avoided another ignominious showing at the European Championships.

We still have to achieve that elusive 'big' away win. On the face of it, Serbia offers our best hope of that. They're in a bad place at the moment. A trashing by Czech Republic in a friendly last week followed a qualification campaign which at one stage saw their points total hit negative figures. There are whispers of player unrest and threats of retirements.

The first game of the campaign could be an opportune moment to play them. As we saw last week, and indeed against Germany, when there is a discernible difference in commitment from the two sides, however slight, it can negate any advantage our opponents have in terms of technical ability or having so-called star players in their ranks. It can tilt the balance in our favour.

Of course, Serbia will probably introduce some members of their recent U-20 World Cup winning side to their squad over the coming months, and they will look to get back to winning ways, but they have maybe four friendly games between now and September to get their house in order. With Georgia at home and Moldova away to follow in October, we have a great chance of heading to Austria with seven or even nine points on the board.

Austria look to be the strongest team in the group. And no matter what anyone says, Wales will be tough opponents too. This group will be a battle between four teams for two places. Although some teams qualified for the 2014 World Cup play-offs with as little as 15 or 16 points, the target has to be 18 or 19 points as a minimum. 19 points would have been enough for us to pip Poland to second last month on head-to-head (had we drawn 2-2).

To achieve a sufficient number of points to secure a play-off we'll need to pick up 12 from 12 in the four games with Georgia and Moldova, and at least one victory from our six games against the top three teams in the group.

There'll be some changes to the squad. Given is going to retire after Euro 2016, and will most likely be followed by Keane and O'Shea. Lots of names are being thrown about as to who will come into the frame but we have shown that we can deal with the loss of these players. We have a squad of players capable of beating Serbia and capable of taking points off Wales and Austria.

That said, there are deficiencies in our team which will leave us with frayed nerves in the next campaign. We seem incapable of holding onto the ball for prolonged periods. We were caught out on our left side repeatedly in the away play-off. Our central defensive partnership still doesnt inspire complete confidence. There is a lack of goals in the side, and we lack any kind of threat from dead balls. We persist with putting two men up to take a corner kick every time - a ploy which almost cost us dearly in Bosnia when we lost possession from a corner and should have been punished on the counter. Our manager still makes some questionable decisions up front and in midfield.

However, the last six games has seen a renewed spirit in the team. There is a new-found confidence, and a desire to overcome any perceived deficiencies and give everything they have to get the required result. They're going to need this and a lot more to get over the line in the next campaign.

We are in a group that gives us a real chance of qualifying. We have a real opportunity, but its not going to be straightforward. It never is with Ireland.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Replies:
Posted By: tobymcclure
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 3:42pm
we will stumble over the line........... losing unexpected points and taking unexpected points, but we will make it............ just about! Smile

-------------
Row F, bird with the viking hat- check out the size of her b**bs            

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 3:47pm
I certainly don't fear Wales. Think we will beat them in Dublin for sure.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 3:51pm
Will be a really tight competitive group again with ourselves, Austria and Wales looking to finish in the top 2 at least, wouldn't be surprised if we need to go through the play-offs again to qualify. It won't be dull, like England's Euro 2016 qualifying group was.

Main thing is, we have a chance with this group. Thumbs Up

Just imagine if we had been landed with group A, with France, Holland (who surely can't be as bad as they have been in the Euro 2016 qualifiers) and Sweden for company. Ouch

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:00pm
Yeah we were really blessed with the group. It's almost as bad as NI's Euros qualifying group! As Trap has said would really fancy beating Wales in Dublin and wouldn't be intimidated by the trip to Cardiff at all. Serbia are also a team on the slide and although the away fixture will be tough again I'd fancy us cause them all sorts of problems in Dublin. Austria are a team heading in the right direction for sure, but they are still very beatable. It's definitely something to look forward to as soon as the Euros dream ends!

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:26pm
In with a great chance IMO. Wales although no pushovers are no Germany,Spain etc... Austrians seem to be a good side but no world beaters.Serbians are decent but beatable. Moldovans and Georgians should be beaten at home. I see no reason why we can't win all our home games. It'll come down to the final game in Cardiff but I think we can top the group

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

In with a great chance IMO. Wales although no pushovers are no Germany,Spain etc... Austrians seem to be a good side but no world beaters.Serbians are decent but beatable. Moldovans and Georgians should be beaten at home. I see no reason why we can't win all our home games. It'll come down to the final game in Cardiff but I think we can top the group

While I think topping the group is definitely up for grabs I think our mentality means we will always settle for the playoffs and that is where I think we will finish with Austria winning the group with a few points to spare.

-------------

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:32pm
I think a lot will depend on whether Serbia improve or not. Wales in Bale have a player who can win a game on his own. Austria looked very impressive in the Euro Qualifiers. Really open group. I'd say the top 4 will be separated by 3 points or less. 

I expect us to finish 2nd with Austria topping the group.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:46pm
It's impossible to answer this one as I'd expect a massive swathe of retirements after the Euros. At the moment we've a very top heavy over 30 squad. If even one of the following group stays on/maintains their current form for the WC Qualifiers we'd probably be doing well.
Wes, Keane, O'Shea, Murphy, Walters and Whelan.
Bar Keane those are all integral first teamers. I'd struggle to name 6 players to replace them.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: BradyBaby
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:51pm
As mentioned a lot depends on the Serbian situation I feel . They are going through a horrible spell which wont last forever. They have a talented squad, and if they get the coaching set up correct and include a few of their talented youngsters they may get back on track.

A big plus for us is playing them so early in the campaign hopefully when they are still in the losing 4-1 to Czech republic mood Big smile

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:53pm
Walters will stay on. Keane isn't a massive loss as he's only able for the last 15/20 mins. O'Shea isn't a massive loss as shown in the Bosnia games IMO. Murphy isn't a massive loss either.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:00pm
The biggest problem there's only 2 spots up for grabs rather than the 3 we just had in the EURO's.

I don't fear Wales at all. They're a team running on confidence. A few bad results in the EURO's and the games before us may plant the seed of doubt in their heads and become the Wales they were before.
Austria are the biggest threat, 2 campagins ago they completely relied on Alaba but their last campaign all of their key players were queuing up to score goals.
Serbia are a team who probably should be doing better than they currently are - They have great players in the team, Mitrovic, Matic and Ivanovic, it just isn't working out for them.
Georgia as we all know by now has a different problem - They're a bastard to play against as they only play for a draw playing 10 men behind the ball, they'll be a concern for all teams.

Moldova we should be hammering.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

It's impossible to answer this one as I'd expect a massive swathe of retirements after the Euros. At the moment we've a very top heavy over 30 squad. If even one of the following group stays on/maintains their current form for the WC Qualifiers we'd probably be doing well.
Bar Keane those are all integral first teamers. I'd struggle to name 6 players to replace them.

I wouldn't say Murphy is an integral first teamer. While we might lose Murphy, Walters and Keane, Shane Long will still be around, and I imagine Walters will hang on for at least another World Cup campaign (whatever about Keane calling it a day after the Euros). Walters does not rely on pace the way Long does (much and all as he relies on fitness) so I am not overly concerned about him.

I wouldn't be overly pessimistic about midfield, either. With McCarthy, Hendrick, Artur, McClean and Brady all the right side of 26, we don't have a huge amount to be worried about, provided they can keep fit and avoid injuries. Wes leaving would cause a loss of imagination, perhaps, but I think we have a few other skillful and creative players. I haven't even mentioned Darron Gibson, although obviously he has his injury troubles.

Defensively, Clark looks a different player in green to when he plays for Villa. Clark, Wilson, Coleman and Keogh are all under 30 and good for another four years.

While retirements could very well lead to a loss of experienced players, if we can keep our current players injury free, we will still be pretty strong in the World Cup qualifiers.

I reckon we will put up a strong fight for second, anyway. Wales are a Gareth Bale injury away from disaster, Austria close to (but not quite) the same with Alaba. If either of them were to miss one international window of two games, they could easily drop points anywhere, with the likely exception of the home games to Moldova and Georgia.

-------------

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Walters will stay on. Keane isn't a massive loss as he's only able for the last 15/20 mins. O'Shea isn't a massive loss as shown in the Bosnia games IMO. Murphy isn't a massive loss either.

We'll get by without Whelan too I'm sure

-------------
The only way is up

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I wouldn't be overly pessimistic about midfield, either. With McCarthy, Hendrick, Artur, McClean and Brady all the right side of 26, we don't have a huge amount to be worried about, provided they can keep fit and avoid injuries. Wes leaving would cause a loss of imagination, perhaps, but I think we have a few other skillful and creative players. I haven't even mentioned Darron Gibson, although obviously he has his injury troubles.

Add Judge (27) to that list, I think he'll be in the squad next campaign. Jack Byrne too will be integrated into the set-up, he turns 20 in April and if he continues his development at the current rate he'll be in and around the squad in ten months time.

As far as the group goes, we'll never have a better chance of making it to a World Cup.

-------------

Posted By: Guest
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:34pm
Don't rule Serbia out yet, a year is a long way away. No point in feeling confident against Wales either after what happened with Scotland. MON will have to learn from his mistakes after the campaign we had but i doubt he will. The likes of Whelan will still be around whom he'll have first on the team sheet.

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:21pm
Serbia look a decent team on paper but as you say with maybe 4-5 friendlies to get their house in order playing them 1st game could work out well. If we had 9 points heading to Austria anything is possible but again much like the euro campaign we should aim to beat Georgia and Moldova away, try and get something from the games away to Austria, Wales and Serbia- then at the Aviva win 4 of the 5 games. I think we could be formidable at home under O'Neil much like his Celtic team.

Beating Moldova and Georgia away, winning 4 of the 5 home games would give us 18points with 3 away games to try and gain a few extra points- between 3 and 6 realistically. That would see us over the line I imagine.

I would imagine Keane, O'Shea and Given as rolo says will be retired so big chance for Ciaran clark, marc Wilson, Richard Keogh and probably shane duffy to stake their claim. It could well be Keogh and Wilson. Randolph should be number 1 if he keeps up this form and Shane Long probably number 1 striker. Then the likes of Arter, Judge and maybe a few others to come into the squad. With young lads like coleman, brady, hendrick, McCarthy, arter and a few experienced heads in Whelan, Long, McGeady, Wilson and Hoolahan the future is very bright I feel.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:25pm
Gonna be another cracker of a group. It'll go all the way to the last round of matches.

-------------
Touts Out!

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:28pm
I think people will underestimate the group.

It's 4 teams of similar quality battling it out for just 2 spots.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:30pm
There's 4 teams in that could top the group. I wouldn't be getting carried away that we'll walk it or anything like it.
If Bale stays fit he has the talent to turn game son his own.
Serbia have been hindered by outside factors, mostly their fans behaviour meaning they've lost home advantage by playing behind closed doors or points.
Austria are a strong side too.
The thing that would worry me is Austria/Wales are a similar standard to Poland right now. I'd expect Serbia to get up to that level too.
There's no doubt we are in the melting pot but people comparing this to the group Northern Ireland got are well of the mark. Wales Austria and Serbia are on the up. All the teams NI got were declining.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:36pm

There's 4 teams in that could top the group. I wouldn't be getting carried away that we'll walk it or anything like it.
If Bale stays fit he has the talent to turn game son his own.
Serbia have been hindered by outside factors, mostly their fans behaviour meaning they've lost home advantage by playing behind closed doors or points.
Austria are a strong side too.
The thing that would worry me is Austria/Wales are a similar standard to Poland right now. I'd expect Serbia to get up to that level too.
There's no doubt we are in the melting pot but people comparing this to the group Northern Ireland got are well of the mark. Wales Austria and Serbia are on the up. All the teams NI got were declining.

If Serbia are on the up then its from a very low starting point indeed.

In fact, there is very little evidence to suggest that they are even on the up.

Wales and Austria I feel are underestimated by many. But they are still exactly what they say on the tin: Wales and Austria.

-------------

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:41pm
I feel Serbia and Austria are in and around the same standard as Bosnia. Particularly Serbia who i personally feel are weaker then Bosnia..
Austria and Serbia bought have a few key players the wrong side of 30 i.e. I could see this being Marc Jankos last campaign with Austria. 

Wales, are the best top seeds we'd of hoped for. 4 points of Wales for us is a real target, 4 points of all those teams should be our minimum. With MON we've build a fortress at Landsdowne Road, I'd fear a trip to Belgrade a lot more then a trip to Vienna. I feel with the likes of Arter likely to come in long with McCarthy we can only improve. Walters will stick around i'd imagine, Keane and O'Shea will possibly move aside.. I'd be confident in a Clark Keogh partnership. 

Hopefully Derby make a push for the PL so Christie and Hendrick,keogh get to play at that level which only benefit them!

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 7:48pm
This is how I expect the games to go
Serbia v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND -  D
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Georgia - W
Moldova v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND W
Austria v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND  - L
 REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Wales - W
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Austria - D
Georgia v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - W
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Serbia - D
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Moldova - W
Wales v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND  -D

That would have us finish on 19 points which should be enough to get 2nd place at least

As you mention we will have a few retirements after Euros expect our team to look something similar to below

------- ---------Randolph------------
--Coleman--Clark------Keogh-- Kavanagh*
------------------Whelan---------------
Walters----Hendrick--McCarthy---Brady--
--------------------Long----------------

*would like to see Kavanagh given a go perhaps in the friendlies in March or as part of the extended squad  at least

i've stuck with Whelan in holding mid role  with both Hendrick and McCarthy ahead of him with both given more licence to get forward.

Would also like to see likes of Jack Byrne given a role in team. 

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 7:50pm
Serbia will be a different animal next year lads in their own place, new campaign as well.

I hope they don't catch us cold. It'll be a tough game and none of the other teams will have it easy there imo.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

If Serbia are on the up then its from a very low starting point indeed.

In fact, there is very little evidence to suggest that they are even on the up.

Wales and Austria I feel are underestimated by many. But they are still exactly what they say on the tin: Wales and Austria.

They are reigning u20 world champions and have a serious conveyor belt of talent coming through comparable to the players that elevated Belgium from a comparable low Base and built their current success on. As I said the behaviour of their fans has done untold damage to their fortunes.

I fully expect Serbia to step up. There is no way Belgrade will be a handy trip and I'd say when it comes around we'll be more than happy to take a draw.

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 8:03pm
Will be very like the group for 2006 world cup

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 8:35pm
One point i would like to make about playing Austria , i think it's 53 years since we last beat them , now i could be wrong but sure i read that somewhere . 

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

One point i would like to make about playing Austria , i think it's 53 years since we last beat them , now i could be wrong but sure i read that somewhere . 

The auld boy's first Ireland game he went to in the early 60s was at home to Austria in Dalymount. I think they lost 3-2 (without googling it). They lost it anyway I think.

I'm open to correction on this

-------------

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 8:42pm
Think Austrians will top group and perhaps go unbeaten

Posted By: Ruel Fox
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 9:11pm
Austria are streets ahead of us to win 9 and draw 1 in a group with Russia and Sweden is some achievement. Especially going to Russia and Sweden and winning.We will never  do as good in any group ever. We will be in the mix for 2nd id say!

Posted By: Jerryfromkerry
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 9:25pm
Can see us lining out like

...... Randolph
Coleman Clark Keogh Brady
.........McCarthy
Hendrick Arter McGeady
.....Walters
.........Long

Good chance of a playoff.

-------------
No man has the right to fix the boundary to the march of a nation. No man has the right to say to his country “thus far shalt thou go and no further"

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 9:29pm
Austria are something of a bogey team for us all right, a bit like Wales, they have one world class player who can (& did in the last group) make the difference in winning & losing a match. Dont think there is anyone to fear in there either though, it could well be a similar effort to this one, in that there are multiple dropped points in games with & between Serbia, Austria, Wales & ourselves. Saying all that, would be disappointed not to get to final game V Wales with at least 2nd place to play for. 

The Euros will have a bearing on the start, we saw a very sluggish performance in Kazachstan after the last one, lucky to get away with the win when we shouldn't have, and bar Sweden away, we more or less played like that for the entire campaign. I think to be fair, the players had lost belief in the manager & his system during the Euros & never really recovered from that, instead of late goals being scored in this campaign under MON, we were conceding them in that campaign under Trap, no worse example than Austria at home. We then played like the beaten dockets we were V Sweden home (once they got the equaliser, all belief drained from the team), Austria away & Germany away. 

Not sure about the mass retirements, other than the obvious.  Keane, Given , O'Shea will call it a day, the likes of Forde might as well, Whelan retiring is probably wishful thinking by his army of detractors, but he is one of the most committed players we have, be surprised if he did meself. Hoolahan may have the age profile to retire, but given his late international career, may wish to get a bit more out of it, Walters much the same to a degree, Murphy would probably call quits on it alright, he was close to doing so last year. 

Bar the lads over 32/33 (as opposed to everyone over 30) I think most of the current squad will still be about in September 16, I don't think there will be mass changes for the sake of it, and with our small playing pool, MON certainly won't want too many to retire after the Euros either. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 10:22pm
Austria 
 I'd Expect us to take 2 points out of 6 If we're lucky,they dismantled us in the last campaign and made a decent well organised Swedish side look average in this current campaign. 

Wales 
4 points out of 6 at the least it's hard to know how this group of players will look after the Euros if Wales don't perform well at the summer like their expecting we could see a very different side to what's being shown now. Bale and Ramsay seem passionate and willing to play for and perform for Wales, something Giggs and to a lesser extent Bellamy, we don't play them till March 2017 so a lot will depend on how the trips to Belgrade and Vienna go.

Serbia. 
4 points out of 6 Belgrade will be a tough place to go, as mentioned we haven't had a big away win still under MON can't see it happening next September,but here's an unfortunate positive situation in their past two groups the Serbians have been docked points could easily happen again given their history and their fans. 

Georgia
I'll go for 6 out of 6 but not certain, the unfortunate time about playing these is the fixture dates away in September 2017 around the same time they put the Scots out of the group, mark my words these will takes points of either ourselfs, Austria or Serbia,Wales a very tough place to go. 

Moldova 
6 out of 6 straight forward.

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

They're definitely something of a bogey team for us over the years. Having said that, we've only met them four times since 1971. We've always seem to have run into them when we were going through a really bad spell of form : 1995 and 2013, and they failed to qualify themselves both times they met us.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Not sure about the mass retirements, other than the obvious.  Keane, Given , O'Shea will call it a day, the likes of Forde might as well, Whelan retiring is probably wishful thinking by his army of detractors, but he is one of the most committed players we have, be surprised if he did meself. Hoolahan may have the age profile to retire, but given his late international career, may wish to get a bit more out of it, Walters much the same to a degree, Murphy would probably call quits on it alright, he was close to doing so last year. 

You're getting a bit too hung up on the word retirement I also said "maintain their current level". That's the big question. It doesn't matter what you're game is be it pace or strength players in their mid 30s need game time managed.
Take Walters as an example. It was probably a blessing that he was suspended for the first leg of the play off. He was fresh as a daisy and ready to make a big impact. I've no doubt only playing one game had a big impact on his performance.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Austria 
 I'd Expect us to take 2 points out of 6 If we're lucky,they dismantled us in the last campaign and made a decent well organised Swedish side look average in this current campaign. 

Wales 
4 points out of 6 at the least it's hard to know how this group of players will look after the Euros if Wales don't perform well at the summer like their expecting we could see a very different side to what's being shown now. Bale and Ramsay seem passionate and willing to play for and perform for Wales, something Giggs and to a lesser extent Bellamy, we don't play them till March 2017 so a lot will depend on how the trips to Belgrade and Vienna go.

Serbia. 
4 points out of 6 Belgrade will be a tough place to go, as mentioned we haven't had a big away win still under MON can't see it happening next September,but here's an unfortunate positive situation in their past two groups the Serbians have been docked points could easily happen again given their history and their fans. 

Georgia
I'll go for 6 out of 6 but not certain, the unfortunate time about playing these is the fixture dates away in September 2017 around the same time they put the Scots out of the group, mark my words these will takes points of either ourselfs, Austria or Serbia,Wales a very tough place to go. 

Moldova 

Did they though? Drew 2-2 in Dublin with a 93rd minute equaliser and had to wait until the 84th minute to beat us 1-0 in the return leg in Vienna and that was in a campaign where we weren't even playing well.

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Austria 

Wales 

Serbia. 

Georgia

Moldova 

Did they though? Drew 2-2 in Dublin with a 93rd minute equaliser and had to wait until the 84th minute to beat us 1-0 in the return leg in Vienna and that was in a campaign where we weren't even playing well.

The Away game may be disregarded as we needed to beat Sweden a few days previous and didn't we never looked like dangering them though. I believe in the first leg they tore us a part we played some okay football to get back into the game and take the lead, and Long missed a great chance that night too if I remember, but at the same time early periods of the game and the late stages of the match they destroyed us and we're far more technical considering having a similar pool of players as we did back then.

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:11am

Austria 

Wales 

Serbia. 
4 points out of 6 <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Belgrade will be a tough place to go, as mentioned we haven't had a big away win still under MON can't see it happening next September,but here's an unfortunate positive situation in their past two groups the </span>Serbians have been docked points could easily happen again given their history and their fans. 

Georgia

Moldova 

We were severely outplayed in Vienna, can't remember the home game too well mind in terms of how they game went but as you said they only managed a draw with the last kick of the game.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:38am
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Austria 

Wales 

Serbia. 
4 points out of 6 <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Belgrade will be a tough place to go, as mentioned we haven't had a big away win still under MON can't see it happening next September,but here's an unfortunate positive situation in their past two groups the </span>Serbians have been docked points could easily happen again given their history and their fans. 

Georgia

Moldova 

We were severely outplayed in Vienna, can't remember the home game too well mind in terms of how they game went but as you said they only managed a draw with the last kick of the game.

I remember the home game well. We played way too deep for the last half hour or so and conceded possession and territory to them, making us look like the away side and them look like Brazil. It was a disgraceful way for a home side to play against a team of similar ability.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:45am
I just remember Conor Sammon coming on for Long in the second half. And us sitting back inviting them on. It was depressing stuff.

It's fair to say we're a different team to the 2013 team. In fairness so are Austria.

I wouldn't look too much into what happened in 2013 or in 1995 for that matter.

-------------

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:53am

Austria 

Wales 

Serbia. 

Georgia

Moldova 

Austria - also wouldn't have said they destroyed us last time. We should have beat them in Dublin and got at least a draw in Vienna. They've improved since then so would happily take 2 draws against them.

Georgia - arguably the toughest and most awkward team we could have got from Pot 6 - just ask Scotland! WinkLOL
Joking aside though, look at the hard work we made of beating them in both games, we needed a touch of magic from McGeady to win it in Tblisi and some neat footwork by Hendrick to set up the winner in Dublin. Taking nothing for granted and will happily take 1-0 wins from both games.

Moldova - 6 points, don't think there's much discussion needed there.

So Wales and Serbia will be the key games, hard to know how those games will go tbh, and that's before you even factor in the behaviour of Serbia's fans who I wouldn't be surprised to see costing their side priceless points again with their antics. Let's assume, just for now, their fans don't do anything stupid to drop their team in it again. If the Serbian team take their Euro 2016 form into these qualifiers I would fancy our chances of beating them in Dublin (I'd take a draw over there). Otherwise, with the young talent coming through from the U-20 World Cup that a few others have mentioned here, they could be the bogey side that trips us up. Meanwhile I wouldn't actually be surprised if we draw both games against Wales assuming Bale is fit and on form.

To sum up I think we should still have enough about us to at least make the play-offs. But, as we know, things can easily change between now and next September eg form depending on performances at the Euros, injuries to key players etc. After all, there are quite a few assumptions I've been making here.

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:58am

I just remember Conor Sammon coming on for Long in the second half. And us sitting back inviting them on. It was depressing stuff.

It's fair to say we're a different team to the 2013 team. In fairness so are Austria.

And another interesting stat is we met Austria both times just before our manager was fired and when our team was in decline. Hard to get a handle on how good Austria are at the moment. The 4-1 win in Sweden may have been a freak and misleading result, bearing in mind they won many of their other qualifiers 1-0 (and only drew with the Swedes at home).

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 1:09am
I expect a lot of draws.

Serbia v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - D
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Georgia - W
Moldova v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - W
Austria v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND  - D
 REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Wales - D
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Austria - D
Georgia v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - W
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Serbia - D
Wales v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - D

So 18 points and possibly 2nd place depending on GD.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 1:14am
More draws than a John Wayne western

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 1:29am
If we perform to a good standard in  Euro 2016, keeping in mind we haven't lost at the Aviva under MON in a competitive game and the potential players we have to step up.

Serbia v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - D
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Georgia - W
Moldova v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - W
Austria v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND  - D
 REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Wales - W
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Austria - W
Georgia v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - D
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Serbia - W
Wales v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - D

Us v Wales and Austria right after are the defining factors for me. Expecting 6 points, this Serbia side.. may have won an u20 but they're not key senior players currently nor will they be in September. Poorer side then Bosnia, we're taking about 2 one team players in Wales and Austria also Bale and Alaba. This is our best opportunity in 13 years to make it to a WC, I've this before MON will be our 'new' Jack Charlton and deliver when it matters.  As for Austria the some folk thought Bosnia would kill us, we're simply too organised under MON Alaba won't be given the time/ nor space and their key players other then Alaba are the wrong side of 29.. If we get something from Belgrade which is what i feat the most then onwards anyone could top this group. 

RANDOLPH 

Coleman         Keogh           Clark      Christie 

Hendrick      Whelan        McCarthy    Brady 

Arter 
                            Long 

Dream team

Elliot

Coleman       Keogh    Clark     Christie 

Nathan Redmond  Arter McCarthy   Brady 

Alan Judge 
                       Shane Long/ Joe Mason/ 'Paddy' Bamford

Whelan will still be 31 come September, come the end of the campaign Arter to slip back into midfield with Alan Judge dropping into the Number 10.
Patrick Bamford to get the papers changed, due to our lack of striking options and Englands abundance he's bound to fancy it. He'd be a complete idiot not to, could offer us a real option with Long and Mason and our striker problem is solved. Arter plays 10 for Bournemouth can't see a transitional change there with a green jersey. 

As for Redmond, he said after the u21 he'd consider his options openly mentioning us and tweeting support for us, so why not! #Daretodream

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 1:35am
Jaysus Byrner. We haven't turned into Spain!

O'Neills tactics mean we are more inclined to win at home but more likely to lose away.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 1:39am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Jaysus Byrner. We haven't turned into Spain!

O'Neills tactics mean we are more inclined to win at home but more likely to lose away.

4 points of Germany TJ! If we can get 4 of Germany and Bosnia, we can certainly get 4 of Wales and Austria thats for sure! Wales struggled to break down Andorra at home for large spells, and I'm simply not buying the Austria buzz. 84th min away and a wonder strike from Alaba in added time... they hardly battered us. Are Austria better then Poland? I'd defiantly argue they're not.

Keep in mind before MON germany beat us 6-1, 3-0... crowded WC  under MON while Germany are WC 1-0 and 1-1... That speaks huge volumes for me.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 1:47am
"potential players we have to step up"
Follows that up by putting in arter, in place of wes and Nathan Redmond
Haha ah SByrne!
Nathan Redmond? Really? the current English U21 player and someone who has played all the way through their age grade, not once opting for Ireland.

-------------

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 1:50am

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

You're getting a bit too hung up on the word retirement I also said "maintain their current level". That's the big question. It doesn't matter what you're game is be it pace or strength players in their mid 30s need game time managed.
Take Walters as an example. It was probably a blessing that he was suspended for the first leg of the play off. He was fresh as a daisy and ready to make a big impact. I've no doubt only playing one game had a big impact on his performance.

I'm not really too hung up on anything, your exact words were ;

I don't think there will be, as pointed out above.

As regards yer point about lads maintaining form, that is a very valid one as players get older, but MON has gone the opposite of his NI counterpart in this campaign (the North's MON was praising the fact he had a settled team as opposed to the last campaign), our version has gone for the horses for courses approach and changed the team frequently, albeit some of that forced by injury/suspension. Would agree that some lads may have to be managed, but not a lot ya can do about that given the relative lack of choice we have. 

Think it will be more of the same for the next campaign, there may not be a direct replacement for each player mentioned, but there is a choice of a few lads to come in & do a job in a specific game. 

Brady could possibly replace Wes, if we find a left back (that isn't Ward, he is a possible retirement come to think of it)

Keane- We are more or less nearly getting by without him these days, there isn't going to be another like him that we can currently see, but will have to make do with what is left out of Long/Walters and the fringe fellas like possibly Mason. We could be very short here after Euros if Doyle & Murphy go the same way as Keane surely will. Can nobody mention Cox or Stokes thanks, that would be great. 

O'Shea- Still have a choice of Clark/Keogh/Wilson available, the likes of Duffy could step up to at least a squad place. McShane & Pearce will probably be hanging about in the background for another while too, even if they are themselves getting on. 

Whelan- Probably won't go just yet, but still have McCarthy & Hendrick, Arter might step up, Gibson might get a late injury free bit of his career & nail down a place, Meyler will still be about too. Mind you Gibson must be touch & go for the squad at this stage & if he doesn't make it, may well feck off in a huff, wouldn't be the first time. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 1:57am

"potential players we have to step up"
Follows that up by putting in arter, in place of wes and Nathan Redmond
Haha ah SByrne!
Nathan Redmond? Really? the current English U21 player and someone who has played all the way through their age grade, not once opting for Ireland.

Wes is 33, he'll be 35 come the end of the qualifying. We've lads moaning about Robbie at the minute, same lads will be moaning. Arter is our future 10 with Judge we have to look to the forward.
He's played u21? Ciaran Clark played with England to u20.. Infact he captained them all his youth. Redmond has openly admitting an interest..

I qualify to play for the Republic of Ireland seniors, too.

"So when the time hopefully comes to play international football, I’ll have to decide [between England, and the Republic of Ireland]. But right now I just want to focus on having a strong Premier League season."

Now, let's scout his Twitter.

@NathanRedmond22: Good luck ROI 💪🏽

Now, we've fcuking hope with him. Woy would rather have Jesse Lingaard and hopefully Grealish is in the championship getting hammered and mon can go well Nathan look at Grealish who could be on an international stage but look at him now.

We have to look to the future. I love Wes.. But Wes is the wrong side of 33.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 3:40am

None of that was my point SByrne!

It's ridiculous to say that we have lots of options to replace 100+ cap players and then name a lad that regularly pulls out of squads with injuries and another that's in England's international set up and has shown zero interest to the contrary.
As for Twitter I can show you 101 tweets from Jack grealish with shamrocks that's everyone on here was convinced meant he was only going to choose Ireland! The first 200 pages of his thread on here is packed with messages like that.
If I tweet about Scarlett Joahansen does that mean I'm shagging her? By your logic it does!
I can tell you right now what will happen with Redmond. He'll finish up with the u21s, if he's not relegated inside the next couple of seasons he'll dream of an England cap and when/if it doesn't materialise we might and only might cross his mind then when he's in his mid 20s and he realises he's at the back of a long que.

-------------

Posted By: Pubes
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 8:05am
Serbia (a) September 5, 2016
Biggest game of the group I believe - we win we are the team to beat and chase. But I'm thinking it'll be a DRAW with a possible victory
Georgia (h) October 6
Our first double header and it couldn't be better. We have beat Georgia over and over again and an away trip to Moldova next means we can play our full strength team vs Georgia and WIN
Moldova (a) October 9
A WIN and maybe a chance for players to break into the team with couple changes
Austria (a) November 12
Toughest game we will face in the group. A result here and we will surely stay in the top 2 - we are capable of a DRAW
Wales (h) March 24, 2017
Massive game again-if playing Scotland is anything to go by we don't fare well against those teams close to us and players we know all too well..but at home we should WIN
Austria (h) June 11
If we were to win this we would top the group but I can't see it - DRAW
Georgia (a) September 2
Our toughest double header this time, which still isn't too bad! I have to go for the WIN as we have done it before and we are a better team!
Serbia (h) September 5
Home WIN -boom
Moldova (h) October 6
Easy WIN - celebrations begin- were going to the World Cup with a point against Wales
Wales (a) October
A chance to go a campaign unbeaten just like 2002 campaign and the glory days are back, we get a DRAW and we're going to win the World Cup!

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 10:17am

Wes -> Judge, Artur
Keane -> Long, O'Brien
O'Shea -> Clark, Duffy
Murphy -> Mason (heck, anyone for that matter!)
Whelan -> Byrne, Meyler, Gibson

I Think Walters is the only one irreplaceable at the moment

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 10:21am

Long rarely played 90 minutes due to an ongoing hip\back injury and Sammonn was the highest scorer of any Irish player at that time.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 10:24am
It will be a very tight group you would imagine. Matic's comments about the soul of their team is a bit heartening for us, hopefully they don't turn it around. And I don't usually wish injuries on players but if bale and alaba are out when we play them that will make a big difference

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 10:51am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Long rarely played 90 minutes due to an ongoing hip\back injury and Sammonn was the highest scorer of any Irish player at that time.

Which proves my point: things are very different now.

-------------

Posted By: Fanny MaGee
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:16am
I reckon it's between us and Austria for top spot. Wales have lost the plot since they beat Belgium in June and they are definitely there for the taking. Denmark and Portugal both took 6 points off Serbia in the qualifiers. 12 points off Moldova and Georgia is the key as Georgia will definitely take points off our rivals. Austria scare me though, they absolutely romped through their group, took 6 point off Russia and murdered Sweden in Stockholm. Very interested to see how they get on in France.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:18am

Are they?
We are still struggling with a decent goal scorer in the absence of Keane.

Swap Sammonn for Adam Rooney and we are in the same situation.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:37am

Are they?
We are still struggling with a decent goal scorer in the absence of Keane.

Swap Sammonn for Adam Rooney and we are in the same situation.

Hardly.

Rooney hasnt been capped ffs.

Sammon won every one of his 9 caps in 2013. I told a lie btw: he actually started against Austria at home, I had said he came off the bench.
He did come off the bench against Austria away (while Brady and Hoolahan remained on the bench).

Daryl Murphy is a questionable call but his inclusion has never led to widespread derision in the way Sammon's did.

There is no comparison between the two, and certainly no comparison between Rooney's situation and Sammon's.

Also this is a winning Irish side, the 2013 team was hopeless - things are very different.
Thats a fact, not opinion.
Be helpful if you accepted my factually-based post and not bring things back to a discussion of Trap and his 2013 team.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:43am
eh it was you who brought up the 2013 team and I responded.

You'd swear it was the Brazil side of 72 the way you are going on

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:14pm

eh it was you who brought up the 2013 team and I responded.

You'd swear it was the Brazil side of 72 the way you are going on

If you read my opening post, one of the last paragraphs, you'll see I dont think we're Brazil 72. Im not deluded.

I think things have moved on from a couple of years ago. Thats it.

And I think I mentioned 2013 in response to a poster who brought up the 2013 games.

Anyway, I was thinking yesterday that we've a real opportunity to top a group for the first time in ages.

But not as hopeful now. Austria will be very, very tough. Its not as open a group as I thought it was.

-------------

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 1:22pm
I fully expect it to be an extremely tight group with the 4 teams taking points off eachother.  We will need to win 2 of our home games against our rivals and avoid defeat in the others IMO.  12 points off Georgia and Moldova is an absolute must.  any points on the road in Belgrade, Vienna and Cardiff will be welcome also.  I could see any of us, Austria, Serbia or Wales topping the group or indeed finishing 4th.

I fully expect Serbia to be back in line come next September however i am certainly glad we have them first.  Bales are very average IMO and tend to struggle away from home against the minnows.  They got out of jail in Andorra in the Euro campaign and in the previous campaign lost away to Macedonia IIRC.  Can definitely see them dropping points in Tbilisi.  Looking at it today Austria are definitely the form team and will be favorites to top the group.  

The retirements would not worry me too much and i am hopeful we can continue our good home form going forward and continue to prove difficult to break down and score against.

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 2:29pm
I see not many are predicting us to lose some games against our main rivals, Austria, Wales and Serbia. Given the way the EURO qualifying went we probably will, however, if we can keep up the resurgent home form we should win some too.

There's no doubting that this group gives us a fantastic chance of winning a group, given there's no traditional top seed and averagely weighted seeds. But equally, it'll likely be very tight between the top 4 and we could easily finish outside of the top 2, with one defeat and a bundle of draws, not dissimilar to WC 2006 qualifying.

Momentum could be key. Should we beat Serbia away in the opener and then follow that up with defeating Georgia at home and Moldova away, we will go into one of the key crunch games in the group, in great form.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 2:55pm
The group will be very, very tight.

Frankly, there are no guaranteed wins for anyone, anywhere. Moldova didn't concede more than two in *any* game in the euro qualifiers, drew in Moscow and only lost 2-1 at home to Austria (although, that said, they didn't keep a single clean sheet, even twice against Liechtenstein). Georgia were very hard to break down as well. Anyone could drop points either home or away to those two.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by El_nino El_nino wrote:

I fully expect it to be an extremely tight group with the 4 teams taking points off eachother.  We will need to win 2 of our home games against our rivals and avoid defeat in the others IMO.  12 points off Georgia and Moldova is an absolute must.  any points on the road in Belgrade, Vienna and Cardiff will be welcome also.  I could see any of us, Austria, Serbia or Wales topping the group or indeed finishing 4th.

I fully expect Serbia to be back in line come next September however i am certainly glad we have them first.  Bales are very average IMO and tend to struggle away from home against the minnows.  They got out of jail in Andorra in the Euro campaign and in the previous campaign lost away to Macedonia IIRC.  Can definitely see them dropping points in Tbilisi.  Looking at it today Austria are definitely the form team and will be favorites to top the group.  

The retirements would not worry me too much and i am hopeful we can continue our good home form going forward and continue to prove difficult to break down and score against.

I'd like to actually see Austria in action at Euro 2016 before coming to a conclusion about them. In their six games against Russia, Sweden and Montenegro, they recorded four 1-0 wins, a 1-1 draw plus the easy win in Sweden. They're clearly a very consistent side with a tight defence but it will be revealing to see how they cope with the big boys of European football, not second or third tier teams as they've been doing up to now.

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 3:15pm

I'd like to actually see Austria in action at Euro 2016 before coming to a conclusion about them. In their six games against Russia, Sweden and Montenegro, they recorded four 1-0 wins, a 1-1 draw plus the easy win in Sweden. They're clearly a very consistent side with a tight defence but it will be revealing to see how they cope with the big boys of European football, not second or third tier teams as they've been doing up to now.

You may well be correct regarding Austria coming up short v the big teams however where exactly do you rate us? 

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 3:15pm
Moldova is the only gimme team, the rest will take points off each other, we need to win as many home games as possible, try not to get bet away and hope that the other guns take each other out in a way that benefits is us a la Armenia v Slovakia and a la Georgia v Scotland .

A good euros could see us flying to Belgrade in great shape and with great spirit

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 4:29pm

Your last point is daft.

The only thing that should be relevant is how they do against second and third tier teams, as that is what they'll face in the qualifying campaign.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 4:40pm

Your last point is daft.

The only thing that should be relevant is how they do against second and third tier teams, as that is what they'll face in the qualifying campaign.

You're saying that how they do in Euro 2016 will have no bearing on how they do in the WC qualifiers? We saw that Bosnia being eliminated in the group stages in Brazil in 2014 had a direct knock on effect and they lost both confidence and form in the Euro qualifiers.

Posted By: Just saying like
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Moldova is the only gimme team, the rest will take points off each other, we need to win as many home games as possible, try not to get bet away and hope that the other guns take each other out in a way that benefits is us a la Armenia v Slovakia and a la Georgia v Scotland .

A good euros could see us flying to Belgrade in great shape and with great spirit

Fcuk me Milla but that is a unique approach.  Have you shared it with MonRoy?  Give one of them a bell straight away in case one of the other teams think of this strategy and get in before us. 

-------------
I don't know what more we can do in terms of being open and transparent - John Delaney

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Just saying like Just saying like wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Fcuk me Milla but that is a unique approach.  Have you shared it with MonRoy?  Give one of them a bell straight away in case one of the other teams think of this strategy and get in before us. 

In fairness sometimes watching these lads you'd wonder

But I suppose what I meant is we can beat them all at home but sadly away against Austria for sure and perhaps the rest we will be blessed if we come out with a point

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 6:18pm
For the lads that are getting a bit too ahead of themselves you have to remember we took 2 points out of a possible 12 against Poland and Scotland who are more or less similar teams to Austria, Serbia and Wales.

Our win over Germany isn't representative of what would usually happen so in some ways it was as important to beat a team like Bosnia who are of similar ability to ourselves (3rd tier European team) as we hadn't beaten teams like that since McCarthy.

It'll be a very tough group but we've a good chance for a playoff spot anyway.

-------------

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 6:27pm
If someone offered me first right now I'd probably take it

Posted By: Pubes
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

If someone offered me first right now I'd probably take it

LOLLOLLOLClap

Posted By: 085immersive
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 9:40pm
I would put Austria as slight favourites to top the group. Wales obviously just had a great campaign but I still feel we should be looking to beat them. It is Wales! They have a good defence just like ourselves and their standout players come to the fore on the counter attack. If Bale and Ramsey can be contained I think we will beat them both home and away. Hard to know about Serbia. Will they improve for the next campaign? Its a wide open group. You might think its great, no big team like Germany but we just took four out of six points off Germany and one out of 6 off of Scotland so can you really predict. I am quietly confident as always and right now would put us second.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by 085immersive 085immersive wrote:

I would put Austria as slight favourites to top the group. Wales obviously just had a great campaign but I still feel we should be looking to beat them. It is Wales! They have a good defence just like ourselves and their standout players come to the fore on the counter attack. If Bale and Ramsey can be contained I think we will beat them both home and away. Hard to know about Serbia. Will they improve for the next campaign? Its a wide open group. You might think its great, no big team like Germany but we just took four out of six points off Germany and one out of 6 off of Scotland so can you really predict. I am quietly confident as always and right now would put us second.

The Austrians have a good defence too. We might see a good few tight games and draws what with the Welsh, the Austrians and ourselves not conceding many goals.

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:56pm
I'd back us to beat any of those teams in the group at home if we play like we can do. Biggest threat in the group is the Austrians by some distance, getting a draw out of Vienna would be a fantastic result, they really are a very good side. Let's hope the Serbs don't get their house in order and we can go out there and beat them, if they do manage to get themselves sorted that's a big headache because they can be a good side. I wouldn't be losing too much sleep over Wales to be honest and think we can take 4 points from them.

Bottom line, short of getting the easy draw against the Germans again, we've done as well as we could have hoped for getting this group, and particularly Wales as a pot 1 team. The issue is that you've four teams looking at the group and thinking they can win it. We simply have to be better on the road in the next campaign. Although with the way that group looks, i doubt one terrible result would be fatal when each team has 6 games you could call close six-pointers.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: S12345
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 12:59am
I think Serbia have the strongest group of players but their campaign for Euro 2016 was disappointing. Don't get the hype about Austria, okay they qualified from their group with ease but I think we can get 4 points from them. Wales on the same level as ourselves but of course they have Gareth Bale and to a lesser extent Ramsey.

Could easily finish fourth, could easily finish first..its just one of those groups. Should be exciting.

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 1:13am
Originally posted by S12345 S12345 wrote:

I think Serbia have the strongest group of players but their campaign for Euro 2016 was disappointing. Don't get the hype about Austria, okay they qualified from their group with ease but I think we can get 4 points from them. Wales on the same level as ourselves but of course they have Gareth Bale and to a lesser extent Ramsey.

Could easily finish fourth, could easily finish first..its just one of those groups. Should be exciting.

sums up how I see it too. It's going be tight and ugly and there'll be a few losing in Glasgow moments. At least we didn't end up in the Italy-Spain group where we'd be out before it ever started.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 1:18am

sums up how I see it too. It's going be tight and ugly and there'll be a few losing in Glasgow moments. At least we didn't end up in the Italy-Spain group where we'd be out before it ever started.

Dont say that less than 3 weeks before another draw!

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 1:40am

The fact that Austria finished up with 28 points in their group makes me suspect that a) it was a weak group or b) the two main teams beneath them underperformed. I cannot really see how they could have improved beyond all recognition from the WC qualifiers when they've had the same coach since 2011 and the same bunch of players.

Agree that we could finish anywhere in this one.....I wouldn't like to call the 1, 2, 3, 4 at all.

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 1:46am
I really hope O Neill doesn't go into it with the mentality of finishing for a play off spot. This must be the best chance we've had in a long time of finishing first and auto qualifying.

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 1:51am

The fact that Austria finished up with 28 points in their group makes me suspect that a) it was a weak group or b) the two main teams beneath them underperformed. I cannot really see how they could have improved beyond all recognition from the WC qualifiers when they've had the same coach since 2011 and the same bunch of players.

Agree that we could finish anywhere in this one.....I wouldn't like to call the 1, 2, 3, 4 at all.

It wasnt the strongest group you've seen but they beat Russia home and away and absolutely thumped Sweden. They're a handy side. They've a genuine world class player in Alaba who can run the game for them, and another in Dragovic who will be deemed world class when he moves to one of Europe's superclubs. They have some other very good players like Arnautovic and Junuzovic, and crucially they look to be playing out of their skins for whatever reason. They'll be a formidable outfit to get past and i think they'll surprise a few people at these Euros

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 2:45am

It's called progress. One of the main things that leads to progress and success is continuity. Does the fact that they have the same coach and players for a long time not make you think they were building towards qualifying for the Euros?

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 1:48pm

It's called progress. One of the main things that leads to progress and success is continuity. Does the fact that they have the same coach and players for a long time not make you think they were building towards qualifying for the Euros?

For sure they have improved and grown in confidence and are now harder to beat, but normally a team getting 28 points in their group would be something one of the elite sides in Europe would be doing. I'm putting down their 4-1 win in Sweden as a freak result, bearing in mind the Austrians were averaging only a goal a game against the other sides. It will be very interesting to see how they get on at the Euros and how far they can progress.

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 4:08pm

For sure they have improved and grown in confidence and are now harder to beat, but normally a team getting 28 points in their group would be something one of the elite sides in Europe would be doing. I'm putting down their 4-1 win in Sweden as a freak result, bearing in mind the Austrians were averaging only a goal a game against the other sides. It will be very interesting to see how they get on at the Euros and how far they can progress.

Spain won a world cup and 2 Euros mostly beating sides 1-0. I don't think anyone is suggesting Austria are elite but they are probably somewhere on a par with England. A higher 2nd tier nation. Austria topped a far tougher group than England.
We'll be up against it against them the same we were in the last WC Qualifiers. They also have a magic player in Alaba.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 4:33pm

Spain won a world cup and 2 Euros mostly beating sides 1-0. I don't think anyone is suggesting Austria are elite but they are probably somewhere on a par with England. A higher 2nd tier nation. Austria topped a far tougher group than England.
We'll be up against it against them the same we were in the last WC Qualifiers. They also have a magic player in Alaba.

A higher second tier team sounds about right for them. Seeing as they only won most of their game 1-0 though, even their two home games against Montenegro and Moldova, I would have thought they would be a perfectly manageable team for us, we could easily end up with two draws or a 1-0 win and defeat.

Posted By: BriMurt
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 12:25pm
I think so much of Ireland's World Cup qualification prospects depend on how they do at the Euros. Last time, they came home with a shattered morale and struggled to pick up the pieces over the campaign. The team needs to come out of that tournament believing in itself. This is why I disagree with people who believe it's simply enough to get to a big tournament even if they get hockeyed, as it promotes a cycle of short-term gain, long-term failure. 

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by BriMurt BriMurt wrote:

I think so much of Ireland's World Cup qualification prospects depend on how they do at the Euros. Last time, they came home with a shattered morale and struggled to pick up the pieces over the campaign. The team needs to come out of that tournament believing in itself. This is why I disagree with people who believe it's simply enough to get to a big tournament even if they get hockeyed, as it promotes a cycle of short-term gain, long-term failure. 

The same thing happened to Bosnia in fact. Qualified for the World Cup in 2014 with 25 points in their group and then went and lost their two opening games at the tournament and were already out before they knew it. It's clear that their Euro qualifying problems started in Brazil.

Should be very interesting to see how Ireland, Wales and Austria get on at the Euros and we may have a much better idea of how things stand when the tournament is over.

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by BriMurt BriMurt wrote:

The whole purpose of trying to win qualifying rounds is to play at major tournaments.

It could be 10 years or more before we make another one. We may not even get to play at the one in our own country in 2020. Excepting Denmark's peculiar route to glory in 1992, for small countries like ourselves, it will never be more than short term gains.

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 8:56pm
Looking at the main Welsh forum, they are very worried about Serbia.
They played them in the last world cup qualifiers, and lost 6-1 away and 0-3 at home.
They feel that gives Serbia a huge psychological advantage over them.

It could work our well if Serbia bring that advantage to the games with Wales, but implode for most of the rest of the group, as they often seem to. 

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Looking at the main Welsh forum, they are very worried about Serbia.
They played them in the last world cup qualifiers, and lost 6-1 away and 0-3 at home.
They feel that gives Serbia a huge psychological advantage over them.

It could work our well if Serbia bring that advantage to the games with Wales, but implode for most of the rest of the group, as they often seem to. 

Funnily enough, Wales have a terrible record against teams from the Balkans whilst we have an excellent one. 

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 9:21pm
Really?

Serbia beat us at home recently and we always struggled against Macedonia (until Trap came along ).

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 9:26pm
Anyone a link for the main welsh forum?

Every time i google other nation forums at least two or three pop up.

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 9:36pm

Really?

Serbia beat us at home recently and we always struggled against Macedonia (until Trap came along ).

True. Our form against Balkan teams is mixed.
We've two wins and a draw from 3 games against Bosnia.
But Serbia and Montenegro have caused us problems. Croatia too (altho that win in 98 was special).

I really think that the first game is a great time to play Serbia away.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Guest Guest wrote:

http://apostlewelshfootie.proboards.com/board/1/welsh-footie

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 10:40pm

Really?

Serbia's win in a friendly in March 2014 was the first by a Balkan nation on Irish soil in 50 years. It's true that our away record in the Balkans over the years is less impressive, but overall the record is really solid against teams from the region.

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 11:10pm
Solid, but not "excellent"

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 12:06am

Originally posted by Guest Guest wrote:

http://apostlewelshfootie.proboards.com/board/1/welsh-footie

They had an interesting thread on that forum recently : Republic of Ireland - how many of them would get in our team?

http://apostlewelshfootie.proboards.com/thread/4815/republic-ireland-players-get-team

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 12:18am

They had an interesting thread on that forum recently : Republic of Ireland - how many of them would get in our team?

http://apostlewelshfootie.proboards.com/thread/4815/republic-ireland-players-get-team

Cheers Thumbs Up

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net