You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Smallbone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 41>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 6:55pm
Named on the bench for the league cup game against Chelsea tonight.
Sponsored Links

Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 9:39pm
looked very lively in a 20 minute run out. Game gone to pens now
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 9:46pm
Missed a penalty in the shoot out
Blazed it over
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 9:48pm
Awful penalty 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 9:51pm
On a positive note, Shane Long tucked his away with confidence
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

On a positive note, Shane Long tucked his away with confidence

Too soon to bring back the song you reckon? 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 12:59pm
what kind of a player is Smallbone? Defensive, attacking midfield? Ball player, tough tackler? Goal scorer?
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

what kind of a player is Smallbone? Defensive, attacking midfield? Ball player, tough tackler? Goal scorer?

The clue is in his name: Willy Smallbone.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 1:02pm

Attacking midfielder. Central. Creative. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Attacking midfielder. Central. Creative. 

I see him the same as banjaxed, he's the type of player that will link midfield to attack. He'll pop up with the odd goal but he's more a creative type. He plays central and is the type of player ireland are crying out for. 

Let's hope he kicks on after his injury because he could be great for us.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 1:33pm
He's very much a forward thinking player that would be occupying the role Horgan and Robinson against AZR the 2 behind the striker. Knight McGrath Ogbene can play that too. No harm to have an extra option as tbh Horgan long term is not it. Molumby Kilkenny Taylor Knight and the likes of Coventry or Doyle Hayes if they can progress are all options that can play the Hendrick and Cullen roles then.

Nice to see him get over 45 mins of football last night. Awful penalty but any lad can miss a penalty. Hopefully he can get regular minutes throughout the season off the bench with the odd start and stay fit.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 1:43pm
From what I've seen of him he's very technical, moves the ball quickly and can pick a good pass. 

I think he'll be far better than horgan and ogbene (who I see more on the wing) 

Mcgrath looks good I must say but I see his level to be a very good Championship player (which is great for us) but I think smallbone has premier league quality written all over him. 

I'm trying to be modest in my appraisal of him but I think he's that good. He will be getting starts for Southampton before the end of this year.

Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 1:50pm
I have to agree with everything Left foot said there and I really think if he stays injury free he can be a huge player for us . Even on his first appearance last night after a long serious injury absence he looked really good
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 2:10pm
Hassenhuttl very much agrees has a big opinion of him. He had a bad injury and young players don't always bounce back from that. 

I just want to see him stay fit even if he only comes off the bench sparingly mixed with some U23 games to keep building his fitness in the coming months it's paramount now stays fit. Like Obafemi it will be worrying if he continues to pick up injuries. 

He has ability and agreed would probably be close to regularly playing for them only for that bad injury. Hopefully he is doing similar at the end of this season. Definitely a prospect for us.

As for Horgan and Ogbene agreed ideally Smallbone Knight and Parrott have much higher ceilings then both and possibly McGrath too and hopefully they can hit those in time. Parrott is a long term project just needs to play and learn his trade. Smallbone likewise needs to get a run and stay fit.

Edited by kevin100 - 27 Oct 2021 at 2:10pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 3:18pm

Hasenhuttl has talked about him playing as a 10 or a 6 and that he prefers playing as the 6 himself.

In the current set up could see him playing in that midfield two and receiving the ball from defence and bringing it into midfield to start attacking moves, or playing behind the striker and receiving the ball higher up the pitch looking to create goal scoring chances.

Touch wood that he can stay injury free. His first two seasons in senior football have been ruined by injuries. Especially last year doing his ACL a month after coming back from a hamstring injury. The lads had terrible luck with injuries.
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 3:42pm
he seems to have filled out a bit since the injury
It's not me it's you:-)
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 3:47pm
Great to see him back. ACL is a tough one to get back from - especially when he hasn't had a pre-season. Hopefully he can get first team minutes here and there over the course of the season and then really go for a first team place (or a loan if needed) next year off the back of a full pre season.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 4:50pm
I know that alopecia has forced his new hairstyle, but I hope he's a success. He currently has a look that would be iconic. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 41>
  Share Topic