Poll Question: Yes or No
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
49 [39.20%]
76 [60.80%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

No hope.

Need to rebuild from now. We may be better off planning for the long term particularly in midfield and attack. Defensively we're in good shape.

Play molumby, connolly and cullen as first choice. They still may not be as experienced as whelan and Hendrick but they will improve where as whelan, hendrick, mcclean are only going to get worse.

Mick has one or two games left, to get us to the euros. Then he's gone. If there is ever a time for a complete rebuild in international football (I'm not sure many teams do it), it is not in a playoff scenario.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Sponsored Links

cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Depends on who we get and if we are home in final or not.
If this moving to A works out, then potentially we would have Bulgaria at home in semi and Iceland at home in final
. Iceland we know are tough but at home it’s at least a 50/50 chance
Would iceland be at home?
Jimmykeno View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmykeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:35pm
Unfortunately  we have no chance really. We've  had two decent away wins in my lifetime, doubt we'll get 2 in the space of 4 days. Yes I know theres a chance the final could be at home if we get that far, but even that is highly unlikely 
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Jimmykeno Jimmykeno wrote:

Unfortunately  we have no chance really. We've  had two decent away wins in my lifetime, doubt we'll get 2 in the space of 4 days. Yes I know theres a chance the final could be at home if we get that far, but even that is highly unlikely 

We have had more good away wins than we have had away defeats in the last three years (bet Wales and Austria away, Switzerland was the only away defeat in a competitive game?).

I don't know if I fancy us to qualify or not. A lot will boil down to who we draw and whether the second leg is home or away. It's a big ask winning two away games back to back, but on the other hand most teams will probably struggle to beat us. We have lost games to Switzerland, Austria and Serbia in the last couple of years but I don't think we will come up against teams as good as them.

Slovakia and Northern Ireland would struggle to beat us, Bosnia might be a bit more capable but they don't seem like the Bosnia of 2015 who we drew with and bet. Wales would be the one to avoid.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

If this moving to A works out, then potentially we would have Bulgaria at home in semi and Iceland at home in final

It’s not yet clear what way UEFA are setting up the play off. 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Originally posted by Jimmykeno Jimmykeno wrote:

We have had more good away wins than we have had away defeats in the last three years (bet Wales and Austria away, Switzerland was the only away defeat in a competitive game?).

I don't know if I fancy us to qualify or not. A lot will boil down to who we draw and whether the second leg is home or away. It's a big ask winning two away games back to back, but on the other hand most teams will probably struggle to beat us. We have lost games to Switzerland, Austria and Serbia in the last couple of years but I don't think we will come up against teams as good as them.

Slovakia and Northern Ireland would struggle to beat us, Bosnia might be a bit more capable but they don't seem like the Bosnia of 2015 who we drew with and bet. Wales would be the one to avoid.

100%.

People think we're losing game left right and centre away from home our record since 2014 in competitive games is played 18 lost 4 Scotland in Glasgow, Poland in Warsaw, Wales in Cardiff during the Nations League and Switzerland away in this campaign

We have won 6 Gibraltar twice really but I've included it doesn't count in the 6, Moldova probably the same, but we've beaten Austria, Wales and Georgia in those last 4 years which were big results.

That leaves 8 draws against - Denmark 3 times, Bosnia,Serbia, Georgia twice and Germany.

As much as people don't like the way we play and think we should play better football we are a bloody tough team to play against.

The four teams listed above won't want to play us.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:50pm
Cant see really if i am honest 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:50pm
whoever we play weren’t good enough to qualify directly and have lost more games than we have in the qualifiers- that’s enough to have some confidence we can qualify.
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 8:06pm

Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

It’s not yet clear what way UEFA are setting up the play off. 
The media seem to think we can't go to Pot A. I can't understand why. If there's 5 pot B teams, it could be an even draw, if we're picked we go to Pot A and Hungary to Pot B? 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 8:34pm
If we get Slovakia/ Bosnia away and a home final I would rate our chances at less than 50%....

We may need to win 2 matches on Peno’s after two draws. 

gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 8:41pm
I think we can win the draws 0:0 or 1:1
Crosby87 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crosby87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

At all? They're asking if you think Ireland will make the playoffs. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Crosby87 Crosby87 wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

At all? They're asking if you think Ireland will make the playoffs. 

A cheap shot Crosby but it did make me laugh 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:58pm
Our last ten competitive away games against similar opposition:
Switzerland 0-2
Denmark 1-1
Denmark 0-0
Wales 1-4
Denmark 0-0
Wales 1-0
Austria 1-0
Serbia 2-2
Bosnia 1-1
Poland 1-2

2 wins, 5 draws, 3 losses. That's marginally below 50/50, which is about fair.

Our home games are actually worse (1 win, 6 draws, 3 losses).

Edited by SuperDave84 - 20 Nov 2019 at 12:05am
Cliftonville7Ireland View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliftonville7Ireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:07am
As many have said above think having knowledge that there isthe home final is important, especially going into the semi final
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 7:28am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Our last ten competitive away games against similar opposition:
Switzerland 0-2
Denmark 1-1
Denmark 0-0
Wales 1-4
Denmark 0-0
Wales 1-0
Austria 1-0
Serbia 2-2
Bosnia 1-1
Poland 1-2

2 wins, 5 draws, 3 losses. That's marginally below 50/50, which is about fair.

Our home games are actually worse (1 win, 6 draws, 3 losses).
2 wins in 10 is marginally below 50%? Do you work for the Tories?
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 8:14am
We don't have to "win" in 90 minutes though, we just have to avoid losing, which the above would suggest we're reasonably good at.
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 8:19am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

We don't have to "win" in 90 minutes though, we just have to avoid losing, which the above would suggest we're reasonably good at.
Firstly, that doesn’t make the figure any more accurate. Secondly, I can’t see us winning a penalty shootout. We do not have the mentality needed and I certainly don’t subscribe to the ‘lottery ‘ theory.
If we get to penalties and lose, Mick will talk about it as a great performance and all the rest of it. The players know that and will fall back on it. I imagine he subscribes to the lottery theory too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic