Will EIRE qualify via the playoffs?

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: International
Forum Name: Republic Of Ireland
Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57269
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 12:16am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Will EIRE qualify via the playoffs?
Posted By: Trap junior
Subject: Will EIRE qualify via the playoffs?
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:29pm
Can see us maybe and thats a big maybe winning one away game. If we have two away games I give us 0% chance.

I would probably bet the house on us not getting through tbh

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Replies:
Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Can see us maybe and thats a big maybe winning one away game. If we have two away games I give us 0% chance.

I would probably bet the house on us not getting through tbh

We don't have to win both games technically speaking Wink

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:34pm
A lot of time to go before these games happen.

Injuries etc will impact us, as will the form of players like Brady, Clark and McCarthy.

Posted By: Bham_McDermott
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

A lot of time to go before these games happen.

Injuries etc will impact us, as will the form of players like Brady, Clark and McCarthy.
There's more chance of us being at the Euros next summer than McCarthy making himself available for March's games

-------------
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:39pm
No matter the opposition, it will be complete non football again as we have something to hold onto. That 0-0 starting point in a one off semi final is what every team should aspire to hold onto, and by God we will do everything to hold onto that precious 0-0 scoreline. Into our shells we go again, and we'll probably end up losing by the odd goal in a forgetful display as the icing on the cake of a truly grim campaign.

I do find it funny the reaction to last nights performance being something to build on going forward, as if it's a given. The absolute denial some people are in about the current Irish setup is a sight to behold.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:50pm
Heroic failure awaits us!

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:50pm
Even on a purely statistical basis it is unlikely - winning two 50/50ish games back-to-back. When you then factor in that we would probably be one of the weaker sides of the grouping on paper and have to also win at least one game away from home then the probability falls even lower still.

I think most people accepted last night was our one real chance of qualifying.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:58pm
We'll qualify on penalties...

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: inlikeflynn
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Even on a purely statistical basis it is unlikely - winning two 50/50ish games back-to-back. When you then factor in that we would probably be one of the weaker sides of the grouping on paper and have to also win at least one game away from home then the probability falls even lower still.

I think most people accepted last night was our one real chance of qualifying.

I see what you’re getting at, but games are never 100:0. Even we can beat Germany on our day.

To win, we need to be 55:45. Even statistically speaking, I’d be delighted with two 51:49 matches in our favour. Which I think we are capable of. 

Posted By: greenscene
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:11pm
Given that Wales spanked us not so long ago, I would really like to avoid them. I dont rate them in the slightest, but it will essentially be a form of grudge derby. They also feel they will 'owe' us one. 
We would have nothing to fear in Slovakia. Yes, being away will be tough. 
Bosnia at home would be a delight. Prefer to avoid the North for obvious reasons. 
Unfortunately we might end up reading to much into our performance from last night. Denmark played very much like a team who lost two of their better players, and who knew a draw would do them.  

-------------
WWW.GREENSCENE.ME

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by greenscene greenscene wrote:

Given that Wales spanked us not so long ago, I would really like to avoid them. I dont rate them in the slightest, but it will essentially be a form of grudge derby. They also feel they will 'owe' us one. 
We would have nothing to fear in Slovakia. Yes, being away will be tough. 
Bosnia at home would be a delight. Prefer to avoid the North for obvious reasons. 
Unfortunately we might end up reading to much into our performance from last night. Denmark played very much like a team who lost two of their better players, and who knew a draw would do them.  

Wouldn’t judge the nations league game against Wales - MON had lost the dressing room at that stage. 

If we played Wales it would be 1-0 either way, 1-1 or 0-0. They’re very poor at the back at the moment. 

Posted By: mandrake
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:37pm
i would say we've as good a chance as any of the teams, they came 3rd as well remember so they aint great shakes,, in fact were as good\bad away as we are at home..

-------------
Come on Irelind

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:57pm
We had close to a 50/50 chance last night to qualify (or factoring in a draw maybe a 35%-40% chance). We now need to go on the road and get a win and then face Bosnia or the North in what will be a difficult game. Odds probably around 20% chance. 

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:01pm
Our chance has gone I think now

Home advantage is massive. We struggle to beat anyone bar minnows, and all of our possible opponents are of a reasonable enough standard.

Don't give us much hope now of getting past two such teams. Think it would take at least one penalty shoot out win.

Posted By: Crosby87
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:02pm
The end is nigh.

Posted By: SunlunBhoy
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:31pm
Have to be positive, we're capable of beating all the teams we could meet in the Play Offs.

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:06pm
No hope.

Need to rebuild from now. We may be better off planning for the long term particularly in midfield and attack. Defensively we're in good shape.

Play molumby, connolly and cullen as first choice. They still may not be as experienced as whelan and Hendrick but they will improve where as whelan, hendrick, mcclean are only going to get worse.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:10pm
Depends on who we get and if we are home in final or not.
If this moving to A works out, then potentially we would have Bulgaria at home in semi and Iceland at home in final
. Iceland we know are tough but at home it’s at least a 50/50 chance

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

No hope.

Need to rebuild from now. We may be better off planning for the long term particularly in midfield and attack. Defensively we're in good shape.

Play molumby, connolly and cullen as first choice. They still may not be as experienced as whelan and Hendrick but they will improve where as whelan, hendrick, mcclean are only going to get worse.

Mick has one or two games left, to get us to the euros. Then he's gone. If there is ever a time for a complete rebuild in international football (I'm not sure many teams do it), it is not in a playoff scenario.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

If this moving to A works out, then potentially we would have Bulgaria at home in semi and Iceland at home in final
Would iceland be at home?

Posted By: Jimmykeno
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:35pm
Unfortunately  we have no chance really. We've  had two decent away wins in my lifetime, doubt we'll get 2 in the space of 4 days. Yes I know theres a chance the final could be at home if we get that far, but even that is highly unlikely 

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Jimmykeno Jimmykeno wrote:

Unfortunately  we have no chance really. We've  had two decent away wins in my lifetime, doubt we'll get 2 in the space of 4 days. Yes I know theres a chance the final could be at home if we get that far, but even that is highly unlikely 

We have had more good away wins than we have had away defeats in the last three years (bet Wales and Austria away, Switzerland was the only away defeat in a competitive game?).

I don't know if I fancy us to qualify or not. A lot will boil down to who we draw and whether the second leg is home or away. It's a big ask winning two away games back to back, but on the other hand most teams will probably struggle to beat us. We have lost games to Switzerland, Austria and Serbia in the last couple of years but I don't think we will come up against teams as good as them.

Slovakia and Northern Ireland would struggle to beat us, Bosnia might be a bit more capable but they don't seem like the Bosnia of 2015 who we drew with and bet. Wales would be the one to avoid.

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

It’s not yet clear what way UEFA are setting up the play off. 

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Originally posted by Jimmykeno Jimmykeno wrote:

We have had more good away wins than we have had away defeats in the last three years (bet Wales and Austria away, Switzerland was the only away defeat in a competitive game?).

I don't know if I fancy us to qualify or not. A lot will boil down to who we draw and whether the second leg is home or away. It's a big ask winning two away games back to back, but on the other hand most teams will probably struggle to beat us. We have lost games to Switzerland, Austria and Serbia in the last couple of years but I don't think we will come up against teams as good as them.

Slovakia and Northern Ireland would struggle to beat us, Bosnia might be a bit more capable but they don't seem like the Bosnia of 2015 who we drew with and bet. Wales would be the one to avoid.

100%.

People think we're losing game left right and centre away from home our record since 2014 in competitive games is played 18 lost 4 Scotland in Glasgow, Poland in Warsaw, Wales in Cardiff during the Nations League and Switzerland away in this campaign

We have won 6 Gibraltar twice really but I've included it doesn't count in the 6, Moldova probably the same, but we've beaten Austria, Wales and Georgia in those last 4 years which were big results.

That leaves 8 draws against - Denmark 3 times, Bosnia,Serbia, Georgia twice and Germany.

As much as people don't like the way we play and think we should play better football we are a bloody tough team to play against.

The four teams listed above won't want to play us.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:50pm
Cant see really if i am honest 

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:50pm
whoever we play weren’t good enough to qualify directly and have lost more games than we have in the qualifiers- that’s enough to have some confidence we can qualify.

Posted By: xRedmanLFCx
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 8:06pm

Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

It’s not yet clear what way UEFA are setting up the play off. 
The media seem to think we can't go to Pot A. I can't understand why. If there's 5 pot B teams, it could be an even draw, if we're picked we go to Pot A and Hungary to Pot B? 

-------------
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 8:34pm
If we get Slovakia/ Bosnia away and a home final I would rate our chances at less than 50%....

We may need to win 2 matches on Peno’s after two draws. 

-------------

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 8:41pm
I think we can win the draws 0:0 or 1:1

Posted By: Crosby87
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

At all? They're asking if you think Ireland will make the playoffs. 

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Crosby87 Crosby87 wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

At all? They're asking if you think Ireland will make the playoffs. 

A cheap shot Crosby but it did make me laugh 

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:58pm
Our last ten competitive away games against similar opposition:
Switzerland 0-2
Denmark 1-1
Denmark 0-0
Wales 1-4
Denmark 0-0
Wales 1-0
Austria 1-0
Serbia 2-2
Bosnia 1-1
Poland 1-2

2 wins, 5 draws, 3 losses. That's marginally below 50/50, which is about fair.

Our home games are actually worse (1 win, 6 draws, 3 losses).

-------------

Posted By: Cliftonville7Ireland
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:07am
As many have said above think having knowledge that there isthe home final is important, especially going into the semi final

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 7:28am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Switzerland 0-2
Denmark 1-1
Denmark 0-0
Wales 1-4
Denmark 0-0
Wales 1-0
Austria 1-0
Serbia 2-2
Bosnia 1-1
Poland 1-2

2 wins in 10 is marginally below 50%? Do you work for the Tories?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 8:14am
We don't have to "win" in 90 minutes though, we just have to avoid losing, which the above would suggest we're reasonably good at.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 8:19am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

We don't have to "win" in 90 minutes though, we just have to avoid losing, which the above would suggest we're reasonably good at.
Firstly, that doesn’t make the figure any more accurate. Secondly, I can’t see us winning a penalty shootout. We do not have the mentality needed and I certainly don’t subscribe to the ‘lottery ‘ theory.
If we get to penalties and lose, Mick will talk about it as a great performance and all the rest of it. The players know that and will fall back on it. I imagine he subscribes to the lottery theory too.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Gabrieléire
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 8:20am
I do believe that if we get past Slovakia and have a home draw we will qualify regardless of the North or Bosnia. I think two away games would be too much  

Posted By: aviva8
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 8:25am
If we are not able to beat Slovakia and either north ireland/Bosnia well we have no business going to the euros anyway  in my opinion

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 8:27am
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

If we are not able to beat Slovakia and either north ireland/Bosnia well we have no business going to the euros anyway  in my opinion
We have beaten Georgia and Gibraltar in twelve games, the fact we have a playoff at all demeans the history of the competition. Not just us either. 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 9:15am
TE have been affected by MON taking the Stoke job imo.  The way its panning out looks a bit more do-able than 24 hrs ago.

I still wouldn't fancy us though.  We just are afraid to try and win games. We were afraid to fo for it against Georgia.  Embarrassing.

As Del Boy says ''he who dares wins''.

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 9:28am
I'd be more inclined to look at how we played away to Georgia and Switzerland then the match the other night. 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

I'd be more inclined to look at how we played away to Georgia and Switzerland then the match the other night. 

You are probably right in that we will be set up to play for a draw. Saying that, I'm optimistic that we have enough to do it 

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 9:36am
Mick wouldn't be much good on Who Wants to be a Millionaire.
He'd be afraid to lose the £1 from the first question and cash out. 

''If you had have offered me a pound before the quiz started I'd have taken it. I'm a pound richer and I'm delighted.''

-------------

Posted By: Rodneytrotter
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 9:36am

TE have been affected by MON taking the Stoke job imo.  The way its panning out looks a bit more do-able than 24 hrs ago.

I still wouldn't fancy us though.  We just are afraid to try and win games. We were afraid to fo for it against Georgia.  Embarrassing.

Very true, Mick will be saying

“he who sticks his nose in a beehive, will get more than a nostril full of honey” 

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Rodneytrotter Rodneytrotter wrote:

“he who sticks his nose in a beehive, will get more than a nostril full of honey” 

There is none so blind as them that what won;t listen

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 9:47am

Mick will be telling them how cold it gets there , cause the last time he went there the  flame on his lighter froze 

Posted By: fochie
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 9:55am
I think writing us off prematurely is a pessimistic view that has a lot to do with us not qualifying
a mere 2 days ago,the disappointment is still fresh.
Player availability and form will be key in March.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 10:48am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Firstly, that doesn’t make the figure any more accurate. Secondly, I can’t see us winning a penalty shootout. We do not have the mentality needed and I certainly don’t subscribe to the ‘lottery ‘ theory.
If we get to penalties and lose, Mick will talk about it as a great performance and all the rest of it. The players know that and will fall back on it. I imagine he subscribes to the lottery theory too.

0-0 will be considered a win going into this one. That will be drilled into the players. Can see either a 0-1 defeat or a 0-0 and a penalty shootout defeat which as PM says will be described as a lottery and a victory to get to that stage itself.

Some of the lads on here frothing at the mouth a couple of days ago, screaming at other Irish fans about how brilliant McCarthy is and how good the display against Denmark was, they are going to get an awful shock watching our display away in Slovakia next March.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 10:56am
Slovakia are not as good as Denmark or Switzerland. If we play to our best, we can win this game. Whether we will or not is another matter entirely, as fear and "pragmatism" will probably guide our approach to the game

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 11:09am
If it is Slovakia away, I am confident we would be able to hold them out and potentially nick a goal. As draw specialists, we should also be spending a lot of time on our penalties in the week before the game. Jack Byrne will make his competitive debut in the 119 minute

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:27pm

Mick will be telling them how cold it gets there , cause the last time he went there the  flame on his lighter froze 

LOL

-------------

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:34pm
I'd be worried that we are not capable of winning two such knockout matches.

Having said that, I don't think Slovakia and the other two sides are particularly strong and capable of beating us either.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:38pm
A potential final at home would give the players an even bigger incentive to beat Slovakia. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Having said that, I don't think Slovakia and the other two sides are particularly strong and capable of beating us either.
But you don't think any team we ever play are strong.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

A potential final at home would give the players an even bigger incentive to beat Slovakia. 

Alternatively, a bigger addition to the ‘ so near and yet so far’ narrative

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:44pm
Slovakia are at a low ebb, having had a poor campaign and played to a half empty (and small) stadium against Azerbaijan last night when qualification was still theoretically in the balance. They have some decent players - Skriniar is a standout in Serie A, and Hamsik while past his best is still better than what we have. Overall though, i'd fancy us in a game against them. 

Obviously don't look beyond your next game and all that, but over the other side of the draw, Bosnia had an even worse campaign, losing to Greece, Finland, Italy, shipping 4 goals to Armenia and so on. If they come through their semi-final and we were to play them in a final, they're also significantly weaker than Denmark or Switzerland.

The team i'd hope not to face is our Northern brethren. If they were to beat us in any final, we would never, ever hear the end of it. And they could do it. They play out of their skin regularly and play well against better teams than ourselves, and it'd be Michael O'Neills last game. We could do without those narratives.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

France, Belgium, Portugal, Spain, Germany, NL, England, Italy etc are the strong sides and miles better than us.

Every time we play even second tier teams, the doom and gloom section of the Irish fans have it down as 'mission impossible' and us needing a miracle to beat them.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:46pm
We really shouldn’t be fearing anybody at this stage. Either a big name has underperformed, or the team isn’t that good. Honestly, if we can’t beat Slovakia or Bosnia, we shouldn’t be there.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:48pm
I think N.I. will beat Bosnia this time. 

Our tie with Slovakia is a 50/50 match up at best. I don't think form will matter too much given how far away the games are. 

If we do play N.I. in the final I think it's vital we're at home as they'd be favourites in Belfast imo. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:48pm
Obviously Fridays draw is big in terms of a home final, but right now I'd fancy the North to qualify. Bosnia were the side to get in these playoffs. as OnTheOneRoad points out above, their form is nothing short of horrible. I would even fancy us to win in normal time against Bosnia if we had drawn them.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:49pm
Billy Bingham would come back to whip up the crowd with his royal wave

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:51pm

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

France, Belgium, Portugal, Spain, Germany, NL, England, Italy etc are the strong sides and miles better than us.

Every time we play even second tier teams, the doom and gloom section of the Irish fans have it down as 'mission impossible' and us needing a miracle to beat them.
We've beaten Gibraltar twice (1-0 & 2-0) and Georgia once in the past 2 years. We do need a miracle to beat a tier two nation. We're scraping wins against utterly terrible teams now. 

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:53pm
I hate the whole home advantage nonsense. These are professional players who play in at least twenty different stadia per year. 

Their home, cars, wives and kids are in England. They’re staying in a hotel whether it is in Dublin or Sarajevo. 

They should perform in any country, anywhere. 

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

I hate the whole home advantage nonsense. These are professional players who play in at least twenty different stadia per year. 

Their home, cars, wives and kids are in England. They’re staying in a hotel whether it is in Dublin or Sarajevo. 

They should perform in any country, anywhere. 

True it’s not like they’re playing in some huge intimidating stadium either.

Whenever we play Slovakia it’s in some second rate half full stadium. 

Posted By: d13dave
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:56pm
I think we will do it if our attitude is right and that sits with Mick. 

The keep it tight for 45 mins nonsense and have a go after the hour mark stuff must stop. I would rather we had 60 minutes to score two goals than 20 thanks very much.

We have a decent keeper and good defenders playing regularly in the premiership. The next 4 months will hopefully see McCarthy retain form and interest in playing and see the continued progress of Connolly, Cullen, Molumby, Parrott, OConnor etc

I would hope we try 352 in friendlies. It is a far better fit for the available players and will give stephens and doherty more space not to mention give McGoldrick some much needed support. The concern again would be the lack of a dominant central midfielder but still think its a better bet than 451. 

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

The team i'd hope not to face is our Northern brethren. If they were to beat us in any final, we would never, ever hear the end of it. And they could do it. They play out of their skin regularly and play well against better teams than ourselves, and it'd be Michael O'Neills last game. We could do without those narratives.

I have a bad feeling about this. 

And they would be playing in Dublin. 

-------------

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

I have a bad feeling about this. 

And they would be playing in Dublin. 

Wouldn’t fancy us against them tbh. 

I’m more looking forward to the kenny regime now than any playoff tbh. 

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: VanBosch
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:08pm
Michael O’Neill is gone tho is he? Or is he hanging on for playoffs too? Would be strange to do playoffs and not Tournament and doubt Stoke would want that.

I that the qualifiers were is last games?

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:15pm
Who will our penalty takers be?

Whelan
Stevens
Doherty
Hourihane
McColdrick

The I can't look at this lads :
McClean
Jeffrey
Connolly (too young for that pressure?)
Maguire (looks like even he'd be surprised not to miss)
Duffy (unless he can take them with his head)

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Michael O’Neill is gone tho is he? Or is he hanging on for playoffs too? Would be strange to do playoffs and not Tournament and doubt Stoke would want that.

No, he's still the manager in fact and will be if they qualify. His contract only ends when their involvement in Euro 2020 ends.

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:33pm

No, he's still the manager in fact and will be if they qualify. His contract only ends when their involvement in Euro 2020 ends.
that plan could change between now and March despite intentions of all involved.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:34pm

Will he be in charge for friendlies as well?

It’s an admission that nothing is going to change until March at the earliest. Surely he would have been doing something else with his time between now and March if the Stoke job hadn’t been available. 

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:35pm
Imagine Martin 0-Nil took the job before the playoff with EIRE

-------------

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:38pm
[QUOTE=d13dave] I think we will do it if our attitude is right and that sits with Mick. 

The keep it tight for 45 mins nonsense and have a go after the hour mark stuff must stop. I would rather we had 60 minutes to score two goals than 20 thanks very much.

We have a decent keeper and good defenders playing regularly in the premiership. The next 4 months will hopefully see McCarthy retain form and interest in playing and see the continued progress of Connolly, Cullen, Molumby, Parrott, OConnor etc

I would hope we try 352 in friendlies. It is a far better fit for the available players and will give stephens and doherty more space not to mention give McGoldrick some much needed support. The concern again would be the lack of a dominant central midfielder but still think its a better bet than 451. 

Don’t think there are any friendlies before the playoffs?

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:39pm

You can say what you want about MON, but he got us to the playoffs again.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:42pm

Touche

-------------

Posted By: d13dave
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:43pm
Christ the thought of a Duffy sudden death penalty. Having cold sweats in work thinking about it. 

If there are no friendlies before it will be a little strange going in cold to such a massive game. That being said i would still ensure the team accounts for form.

I reckon we would batter the North, their half decent players are getting on now. 

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:44pm

And Tony O’ D trying to interview him before and after 

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:46pm

It would be the only time he tells us how good EIRE are and how tough it will be for TE.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

Will he be in charge for friendlies as well?

It’s an admission that nothing is going to change until March at the earliest. Surely he would have been doing something else with his time between now and March if the Stoke job hadn’t been available. 

One would imagine so, as even friendlies have an international window / break.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:48pm

And he will qualify us if he takes the TE job!

-------------

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:59pm
[QUOTE=d13dave] I think we will do it if our attitude is right and that sits with Mick. 

Don’t think there are any friendlies before the playoffs?

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

I reckon we would batter the North, their half decent players are getting on now. 

Most sensible people would view how both teams respective groups panned out. On that alone, the only battering done would be on sausages before the game 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 2:12pm

It would be the only time he tells us how good EIRE are and how tough it will be for TE.

are you two a duet now? 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 2:12pm
If you're at this stage of qualifying, you are by definition not very good - as a general rule of thumb.

We came 3rd, we were the 3rd best team in that group in the strength of our squad and the reality on the pitch bore that out. Denmark and Switzerland were two decent sides, by no means elite but they did enough for us and would account for any of the four teams in our path.

Slovakia finished behind a Wales side that took a long time to find their feet, and croatia who would hammer all of us. From the look of their campaign they had a very similar one to us. Lost and drew against Wales who are the calibre of the top 2 in our group, lost both to Croatia who are better than anyone was in our group. This will be a tight game. I think we have the edge in quality, but it will be tight.

Bosnia had a sh*t campaign as covered above. I'd be very surprised if they're in the final.

The exception to the rule in my first sentence is Northern Ireland. There is not a single international team in world football who, if put into their position in that group, would be totally confident of qualification. Even the likes of England, Spain, Belgium etc would be looking nervous if they were drawn into a group with Germany and the Netherlands. And the north gave it a right go. We look at their players and they are sh*te. But when they play for their statelet they get an extra level and play superbly. I am not sure we would have it in us to beat them at this moment.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 2:27pm
Two playoff games in which we need to win, albeit even through penalties to qualify.

Not too dissimilar to the need in winning one of the swiss or denmark games...but now we need to win 2.

We barely pulled off 2 wins against Gibraltar... 

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 2:29pm

Two playoff games in which we need to win, albeit even through penalties to qualify.

Not too dissimilar to the need in winning one of the swiss or denmark games...but now we need to win 2.

We barely pulled off 2 wins against Gibraltar... 

We dont need to win any games - 2 wins on pens will do.

-------------

Posted By: mully_85
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

I'm fairly confident we can get through the play offs, our performances under Mick have been decent. Some good results v Swiss and the Danes twice and an excellent performance this week. Slovakia aren't exactly world beaters themselves and Hamsik is no longer the spring chicken he once was.

how the feck have our performances under Mick been "decent" Dead

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 3:19pm
By decent, do you mean sh*te? 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 3:45pm

I mean not losing, a result is a result. You can only do so much with what you have, I think folks forget sometimes our talent pool isn't exactly overflowing.
It’s absolutely sh*te, but the performances have been on par for that, occasionally even below their capabilities. Results are means to an end, he was brought into qualify us and won’t, wasting two years.

-------------

Posted By: PaddyDaCulchie
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 3:48pm

I mean not losing, a result is a result. You can only do so much with what you have, I think folks forget sometimes our talent pool isn't exactly overflowing.
It’s absolutely sh*te, but the performances have been on par for that, occasionally even below their capabilities. Results are means to an end, he was brought into qualify us and won’t, wasting two years.

You cant justify results and performances by saying the talent pool is sh*t when he hasn't maximised what little talent he has, 2 or 3 more talented players would make f**k all difference when our style and set up is anti-football

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

Watched their game against Netherlands at the weekend, they played very well. Wonder what happens with Michael O'Neill tho, he's Stoke manager now isn't he?

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

You cant justify results and performances by saying the talent pool is sh*t when he hasn't maximised what little talent he has, 2 or 3 more talented players would make f**k all difference when our style and set up is anti-football
His job was to get us to the Euros, by hook or by crook. I always felt it was a near impossible job, that hasn’t changed, but if he had done it he would have deserved huge plaudits. Despite not having the ramifications it could have had, not going all out for the win in Tbilisi is where it all went wrong. Until that point we were getting results and that was it he was brought in to do, even if the performances were turgid. He could argue about the talent then, but  when you turn your nose up at an extra two points in Georgia, to make sure of one, it shows that the malaise isn’t just with the players. Given we had the play-offs anyway it feels like a waste of a year, not least because those mistakes are very likely to be repeated, possibly as a result of the mentality that a draw will always do, even in games they should at least think that they can win.

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 5:34pm

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Switzerland 0-2
Denmark 1-1
Denmark 0-0
Wales 1-4
Denmark 0-0
Wales 1-0
Austria 1-0
Serbia 2-2
Bosnia 1-1
Poland 1-2

2 wins in 10 is marginally below 50%? Do you work for the Tories?

If we won 2, drew 6 and lost 2, that would represent a 50/50 chance of success - because you are willfully ignoring the fact that draws do not eliminate us. I never said that 2/10 represented a 50% success rate - you ignore the context of the playoffs and the fact of extra time and penalties. The figures posted above basically represent a 45% chance of progress, counting draws as giving us a 50% chance of progress on extra time and penalties, which is a fair rule of thumb. The fact you believe we don't have the mentality to win penalty shoot outs is neither here nor there; it also ignores entirely any analysis of the mentality of the opposition in a penalty shoot out. Similarly, it ignores the fact that any team we face on penalties will, of necessity, be of a similar level to us: they will be League B nations league teams who failed to qualify automatically. That is worth more than a vague assertion that we lack mentality.

2 wins, 5 draws, 3 losses; assuming we replicate our performances in the last ten games against similar opposition, that represents approximately a 45% chance of progress from each game.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 5:36pm
Just how  long has this conservatism been going on with Ireland managers ? Kerr , Trap ,MoN and Mick . I don’t count Stan . Is it back to Micks first reign !

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 5:37pm
Even taking that into account, our mindset would make me think we have about a 1/4 chance in a shootout.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 5:41pm

Results are one thing, we haven't lost many games which is a good thing.

Performance is different. Our performances have been awful. Our midfield has been shockingly poor and have struggled to string 3 passes together. This has gone on for years. 

Posted By: Fitz
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 5:48pm

Performance is different. Our performances have been awful. Our midfield has been shockingly poor and have struggled to string 3 passes together. This has gone on for years. 

Yep, and even worse is that fact that we’ve shown we can do at least somewhat better than that - when we’re not being overly-conservative/negative/fearful! 

-------------

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 5:50pm

Results are one thing, we haven't lost many games which is a good thing.

We didn’t lose many games with O Neill either the difference between him and Mick is he threw a few big wins into the mix also.

Which were decent results ok we played poor but we got big results.

And to date Mick has not so as of today Mick’s tenure has been a failure simple as that

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 6:13pm

I don’t think we have been compete anti football with mick. He is trying to figure things out still though it seems, we have played differently in each game. We played a fairly decent style on Monday. I think we just need to upgrade the players and i think we already (or at least potentially) have the players in and around the squad. I think micks biggest flaw is his loyalty to players putting in ‘ decent shifts’ rather than players with more flair/creativity. It’s conservative but not anti-football.
That said, I am looking forward to Kenny coming in. But for now I still think Mick can get the job done. We may need a penalty shootout to get there though!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net