You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is our best team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is our best team
    Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 12:46pm
One of Stephen Kenny's biggest issues in my opinion has been his inability to nail down his best eleven. The switch to 3 at the back was a bit of pragmatism at the time. However it hasn't really worked. What do we think is our best 11 and best formation going into the future. For instance if we do hire a new manager who do you see a) being the stalwarts and b) should be given a chance to nail down a place in the team.

For me the incoming manager should build the team around Bazunu, Egan, Duffy, Cullen, Ogbene and Ferguson. I think those who should get an opportunity include Ebosele, Smallbone, Johnston. Maybe going forward we look something like this:

Bazunu

Ebosele
Egan
Duffy
Doherty

Cullen
Smallbone
Molumby

Ogbene
Ferguson
Johnston

What are others thoughts? Stay with a back 3? Go two up front? We have a better team than we gave been showing. I will probably be slaughtered for the team above but I am just putting out ideas.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Sponsored Links

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 12:53pm
I would say Ebosele and Doherty as full backs is asking for trouble. In general we have an issue with full backs/wing backs who are quite poor defensively, which almost forces us into sticking with 3 CBs. If I had to pick an XI it would probably be something along the lines of

Bazunu
O'Shea Egan Scales
Ebosele Cullen ? Doherty
Ogbene Ferguson Moran

Really not sure who I'd stick alongside Cullen. We're desperate for a midfielder who can pull the strings from a bit deeper whilst still offering enough defensively. Not sure if Azaz fits that criteria necessarily.

Edited by SeaSharp - 21 Nov 2023 at 1:07pm
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

One of Stephen Kenny's biggest issues in my opinion has been his inability to nail down his best eleven. The switch to 3 at the back was a bit of pragmatism at the time. However it hasn't really worked. What do we think is our best 11 and best formation going into the future. For instance if we do hire a new manager who do you see a) being the stalwarts and b) should be given a chance to nail down a place in the team.

For me the incoming manager should build the team around Bazunu, Egan, Duffy, Cullen, Ogbene and Ferguson. I think those who should get an opportunity include Ebosele, Smallbone, Johnston. Maybe going forward we look something like this:

Bazunu

Ebosele
Egan
Duffy
Doherty

Cullen
Smallbone
Molumby

Ogbene
Ferguson
Johnston

What are others thoughts? Stay with a back 3? Go two up front? We have a better team than we gave been showing. I will probably be slaughtered for the team above but I am just putting out ideas.
Back 4 is so so slow, would be destroyed against pace...Molumby from what I've seen hasn't got a creative bone in his body, perfect example of midfield player who had been brain washed by coaches into being risk averse and who  runs around all day, looking as if he's doing something but actually isn't impacting on the match. Same criticism of Molumby goes for all our midfield players except maybe Browne who at least tries to get forward. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 1:08pm
The midfield has had insufficient evolution during the last three years. In short, is it any more effective than the preferred five man midfield that MM played with Whelan holding behind Hourihane, Hendrick, McClean and Robinson (with Browne as an option). It’s an area that a future regime would need to focus heavily on.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 1:18pm
I should have clarified that the team I suggested was a 4-2-3-1 so two sitting midfielders who would be Cullen and Molumby with Smallbone slightly ahead 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 1:19pm
Back 3 is probably fine, they can be much more tactically different and successful than recently for us. Doherty is no full back, and neither is Ebosele at this point and suits our mass of CBs and Ebosele's attacking talents are more use to use higher up the pitch. Issue for me is probably LWB back though, Scales should only be a CB for me. So unless we can convince Cirkin to get on board or a youngster like Adaramola/Roughan can develop dramatically we don't anyone convincing in that role. So probably Doherty at LWB lol.

I don't even mind our attacking options right now but weakness is midfield not the players in themselves but too many similar profiles and not enough balance.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 1:24pm
Bazunu
Doherty Collins Egan O'Shea
Ogbene Knight Cullen Ebosele
Moran
Ferguson

The likes of Coleman, Omobamidele, Johnston, Azaz, Molumby, Obafemi etc would all be marginal calls could be inserted in depending on form and opposition.
We're decent enough..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 1:27pm
Moran the new Smallbone!
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 1:31pm
Fist thing the coach has to do is decide on what his philosophy is with regards to tactics and approach to the game based on the players at his disposal.   Most managers have a style of play that they are comfortable coaching.  This talk of pragmatism and adjusting your style of play based on the players doesn’t really happen.  Those coaches just become more defensive as they get older.  If we play with a high line, that rules Duffy out in my view and it means we need at least two fast defenders.  Also with a high line we would then need to press from the front.  If we play a deep line then we can’t press high as the gap between midfield and defence will be too big and we will get picked off.   

I would go with a 4 2 3 1  

Bazunu

Ebosele
Collins 
Egan/Omobamidele
O’Shea 

Cullen
Molumby 

Ogbene
Moran
Johnston

Ferguson 

For weaker teams I wold take Molumby out and replace him with Knight and push Ogbene and Johnston on. 

Edited by Baldrick - 21 Nov 2023 at 1:34pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 1:50pm
Bazunu 
Collins, Omobamidele, O'Shea, Egan
Ogbene, Cullen, Moran, (?)
Ferguson, (?)

Players which I'd like to see the team built around and certainly not around the likes of Duffy. Still not sure on a few positions. Depends on how a new manager sees us setting up. Kenny tried at least 6/7 players in a wingback position that didn't work and clearly showed we are incapable of playing that system. Hopefully a new manager could have us playing attacking football while getting results. Or, just getting results. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 2:08pm
Would still have Coleman in our best team

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Would still have Coleman in our best team

We have friendlies in March and June and the nations league in September and qualifiers in march 2025.  

We need to have a settled team by March 2025 with a few caps under their belt.  Hard to see Coleman still around in march 2025 so we need alternatives to him and Doherty before then that are needed in.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 3:47pm
We have a deficiency in midfield, I think we should look to overload the midfield to counter the fact that matching teams man for man there we are going to lose out. This is expecting most of the sides we face to play a form of the modern 4-3-3, or 4-2-3-1

So a 3-4-2-1 with wing backs providing the width (or 5-4-1 without the ball)

perm any 2 from the 4 centre mids named

GK (I wouldn't be averse to trying one of the other lads)

Egan
Collins
Scales

Ogbene
Cullen/Browne
Smallbone/Knight
Doherty

Moran
Szmodics Embarrassed

Ferguson

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Bazunu

Ebosele
Egan
Duffy
Doherty

Cullen
Smallbone
Molumby

Ogbene
Ferguson
Johnston

Our best XI & best formation depend entirely on the opposition we're playing. We're a mid-tier team & aren't good enough to have one way of playing vs everybody.

Duffy's has been a great servant, at points he was our most important player, but he's clearly in decline & is pretty much finished playing at international level. Still has a role around the squad as an experienced head.

Egan looks to be out injured long term, possibly for the season. But Sheff Utd fans seem to think he's clearly in decline too, so who knows what he looks like when he comes back. Similar to Duffy, he still has a role around the squad, but I think he'll be taking a step back from playing.

The 2 of them will be 33-34 for the World Cup cycle, so we definitely shouldn't be looking to build around them now.

Scales, Collins & O'Shea are all on the up & playing at a higher level. Omobamidele will likely get a loan in January, O'Brien will hopefully keep his place in OL, & then McGuinness & McNally are both doing well in the Championship.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 5:18pm
A lot of interesting teams and good suggestions here in fairness. I think our "best team" needs to be different based on who we are playing, I wouldn't play the same eleven against a Gibraltar/Andorra type as I would against England or France. But breaking it down by position I'd say something like this 

GK: it's Bazunu's jersey until Kelleher gives us a reason for it not to be, which it doesn't look like he'll be doing this season at least. Travers is a great shot stopper but doesn't command his area or look confident enough on the ball to get the number 1 spot.

Centre backs: Unless the next manager wants us to play deep and direct this needs to be the end for Duffy. Great lad but the game has moved on. Collins in a better structured defensive setup should be better than he has been. Egan gets the other spot for now but McGuinness should be pushing hard if given a chance and Omobamidele once he gets back playing will come into contention. O'Shea as well of course, but he also needs to be considered for a full back position against better opposition given our issues at left back.

Full backs: Doherty on the right for now, Festy as a bench option. Coleman will be closing in on 36 by the time the Nations League starts so a bench option at best I'd say, assuming he wants to stay involved.

Left back is probably our biggest problem. I don't think any of our left backs are good enough at the moment. My suggestions in the short term would be to either play O'Shea over there, he's quick for a centre back and better defensively than our other options. Alternatively, the man for all seasons/positions, Jason Knight, I'd say would fill the hole there better than any of our actual left backs can.

Midfield: Cullen/Knight(Molumby)/Browne/Smallbone remains our best option in the short term. (Molumby in there only if Knight gets moved elsewhere). It's not brilliant but it is what it is. Who knows what level any of Moran, Azaz or McAteer might be at a year from now to give us a more technical option going forward. 

Ogbene supporting Ferguson is the obvious attacking setup right now. The Ogbene part of that could change depending on how the likes of Idah, Connolly, Obafemi, Szmodics and countless others get on in the next 12 months. Obviously a fit Ferguson always starts.

So basically, against decent opposition, I'd go 4-2-3-1 and play:

Bazunu
Doherty Collins Egan O'Shea
              Cullen Browne 
   Ogbene Smallbone Knight
                  Ferguson 

But, more importantly, I'd set the team up with two of those central midfielders staying deep most of the time to protect the centre backs. If Knight goes forward, Smallbone drops back to help Cullen in case an attack breaks down etc. Ogbene would be dropping a lot deeper at times also, with the view that he can start counter attacks from deep, with Ebosele doing similar coming off the bench. For me that's the kind of pragmatism we've been badly missing for the last three years.

Edited by You Tell Me - 22 Nov 2023 at 12:19am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 5:42pm
And, just to add to that, we need to stop trying to methodically pass the ball through midfield when it's so clearly, blatantly obvious that we don't have midfielders with the technical ability to do that with any degree of success. We do need to move it forward more quickly and directly (without resorting to complete hoofball of course). But realistically, improvement needs to be built around being tight and compact out of possession, restricting space to opponents at the back, and being quicker and more direct in attack, looking for opportunities to get the ball in the box early, getting it to Ferguson and generating crosses and set pieces. Because, realistically, that will continue to be our best route to goal.

That will hit the possession stats of course, but it's long past time to say f**k the possession stats. If we're compact and sensible with our defensive setup and stop throwing so many players forward when we're in possession, we can deal with losing it more often as a result of not being afraid to try an earlier ball into the opposition box.
Linzark View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linzark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 4:06pm
Bazunu

Ebosele
Omobamidele
Collins
Manning

Knight
Cullen
McGrath

Ogbene
Ferguson
Johnston
Linzark
Linzark View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linzark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 4:21pm
This is what I hope our rough squad will look like for the Nations League next September

Gavin Bazunu
Caoimhin Kelleher
Mark Travers

Festy Ebosele
Matt Doherty
Andrew Omobamidele
Nathan Collins
Dara O'Shea
Liam Scales
Jake O'Brien
Ryan Manning

Josh Cullen