Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What happened in Saipan?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

The whole episode was never anything to do with the facilities or the lack of gear or even McCarthy. Yes they were factors in it but the bottom line was Keane was on the verge of a breakdown for a while if the stories are to be believed. How many of the squad said that Keane turned up at the airport in Dublin in bad form and looked like a fella on edge? If the meltdown didn’t happen in Saipan then it would have happened when they got to Japan and it would have derailed the whole thing. 
That seems about right to me.

But if he was just a "bomb waiting to explode" even from before they left the airport, who or what was it which loaded the Semtex onto him in the first place?

Perhaps there might have been some personal reason which was winding him up.

But unless/until we're told what it was, then my guess is that as he came to realise he was putting intolerable demands on  himself (i.e. implying he could lead the team to win it), the pressure just built and built, so that Saipan was just the spark which finally detonated him.

A bit like Roberto Duran's "No Mas" moment i.e. f**king off completely when he realised he couldn't beat Leonard.

You are absolutely delusional if you believe that. I know it might suit your general narrative to try and paint this as some sort of "stupid Paddy had unrealistic notions, and then didn't even have the gumption to follow through!" situation, but that simply is not based in any kind of reality. No one, and I literally mean no one, expected Roy Keane to drag Ireland to World Cup victory. Suggesting that Keane downed tools because it "suddenly dawned on him" that he could not fulfil this unrealistic goal (which absolutely no one expected of him in the first place) is nothing short of farcical.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 11:40pm
I don’t believe for a second that Keane had expectations of winning a World Cup and succumbed to the pressure. This is a fella who 6 months earlier put captaining Man United in a league match in November over captaining Ireland in a match to get to the World Cup. Am I correct in saying that in one if his books Keane spoke about going back to play for Ireland and how much of a pain in the arse it was to do it - or am I imagining that he said that?

Keane is your typical sociopath & when I was bored in work earlier today I looked through photos of the squad in the airport heading for Saipan and he looked ready to fight someone in Terminal 2. Whatever happened in the few days leading up to the infamous blow out, he just snapped. If the squad was together for a month and he lost the head then I’d say something but they were only together a few days. At the Euros in 2012, the squad were all pissed off and hated the sight of each other by the time the tournament even kicked off. They had been together 3 weeks by the time they played Croatia. We had a few pints with one of the lads from the 2012 squad one night in Dublin and he said by the time they got to Poland they were wrecked. They had been training in Dublin, then went to Italy, then played Hungary then had a week in Poland. If this had of been the case in 2002 I could justify a meltdown but not after 2/3 days of light training like they had in Saipan.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 11:56pm
Keane was off the gargle and was having serious problems coming to terms with it and as Saipan was for rnr the players went on the lash.

The Training facilities in Saipan were fantastic got to go there a couple of times and one other thing that was brilliant there the late Noel O’Reilly was coaching Japanese young players on an adjoining pitch. Dunphy and jd’s role In the whole sh*tshow ruined any chance of getting it sorted.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 12:16am

I don’t believe for a second that Keane had expectations of winning a World Cup and succumbed to the pressure. This is a fella who 6 months earlier put captaining Man United in a league match in November over captaining Ireland in a match to get to the World Cup. Am I correct in saying that in one if his books Keane spoke about going back to play for Ireland and how much of a pain in the arse it was to do it - or am I imagining that he said that?

Keane is your typical sociopath & when I was bored in work earlier today I looked through photos of the squad in the airport heading for Saipan and he looked ready to fight someone in Terminal 2. Whatever happened in the few days leading up to the infamous blow out, he just snapped. If the squad was together for a month and he lost the head then I’d say something but they were only together a few days. At the Euros in 2012, the squad were all pissed off and hated the sight of each other by the time the tournament even kicked off. They had been together 3 weeks by the time they played Croatia. We had a few pints with one of the lads from the 2012 squad one night in Dublin and he said by the time they got to Poland they were wrecked. They had been training in Dublin, then went to Italy, then played Hungary then had a week in Poland. If this had of been the case in 2002 I could justify a meltdown but not after 2/3 days of light training like they had in Saipan.
Ahead of his time there seeing as construction of T2 didn’t commence until 2007.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 12:36am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Ahead of his time there seeing as construction of T2 didn’t commence until 2007.
That mention of T2 at Dublin Airport in the early 00's certainly had me raising an eyebrow seeing as I used DUB to go on a few holidays that year and there was certainly no fancy spage-age terminal at that time. LOL

Edited by ConorMac77 - 27 May 2020 at 12:37am
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:01am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

So the person in charge of logistics in Saipan said it wasn’t anything to do with logistics but clit was due to Roy having a case of bad DTs. :). Sure he is a sound lad 

Are we moving into the erotic now..

Damn predictive text, cant believe it found it considering I have never seen one. 

LOL
LOLLOLLOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:44am

So the person in charge of logistics in Saipan said it wasn’t anything to do with logistics but it was due to Roy having a case of bad DTs. :). Sure he is a sound lad. Sounds like.a lad trying to deflect the blame on to someone else. 

Regardless of keanes mood, the logistics were a shambles. Does that keane the excuse to undermine the manager in public,no it doesnt.  But the fai trying to deflect blame on to keane giving up the booze to cover for their amateur preparations is disgraceful.

ClapClap
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:48am
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Keane was off the gargle and was having serious problems coming to terms with it and as Saipan was for rnr the players went on the lash.

The Training facilities in Saipan were fantastic got to go there a couple of times and one other thing that was brilliant there the late Noel O’Reilly was coaching Japanese young players on an adjoining pitch. Dunphy and jd’s role In the whole sh*tshow ruined any chance of getting it sorted.

Ladies and gentlemen i present to you the first man in the history of the Irish state and the inhabitants of the island of Saipan to call the said facilities "fantastic" LOLLOLLOLLOL 
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen i present to you the first man in the history of the Irish state and the inhabitants of the island of Saipan to call the said facilities "fantastic" LOLLOLLOLLOL 

I suspect gufct means the training camp used during the World Cup (in Chiba IIRC).  I doubt if too many fans have ever been to Saipan.  
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:37am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I suspect gufct means the training camp used during the World Cup (in Chiba IIRC).  I doubt if too many fans have ever been to Saipan.  

Was just about to type that. Chiba was fantastic but the way it was spun by Kennedy and RK incorporated was that Saipan was the training camp rather than a short r&r stopover. All the talk of no balls  and training gear etc was bullsh*t. One skip load  of shew stuff was delayed for a day due to a problem at DHL's end but everyone had gear to wear and balls to train with.

Did the guts of a month in Japan and Korea for 2002. Incredible trip. Ended up out with the team trying to get over the disappointment of the Spain defeat. General opinion was that Roy didn't want to be there and it was a more effective camp without him. 

Have always believed that had Man U won a trophy that season Roy would have been more content but seeing Arsenal win the double and losing to Leverkussen in the Champions League semi final was eating him up. He should have skipped Saipan and gone straight but there's no guarantee he wouldn't have kicked off in Japan. Have to laugh at some of the comments saying McCarthy should have been treating Roy differently to the rest when he'd been doing exactly that for years. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:38am
Anyone been to Saipan or even know where it is ?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I think Roy Keane and Mick McCarthy went there way back. 😉 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:48am

I presume the people that live there have been? Surprised you haven't Murph!
I think the Northern Mariana Islands are half way between Japan and Papua New Guinea, very roughly Thumbs Up
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Was just about to type that. Chiba was fantastic but the way it was spun by Kennedy and RK incorporated was that Saipan was the training camp rather than a short r&r stopover. All the talk of no balls  and training gear etc was bullsh*t. One skip load  of shew stuff was delayed for a day due to a problem at DHL's end but everyone had gear to wear and balls to train with.

Did the guts of a month in Japan and Korea for 2002. Incredible trip. Ended up out with the team trying to get over the disappointment of the Spain defeat. General opinion was that Roy didn't want to be there and it was a more effective camp without him. 

Have always believed that had Man U won a trophy that season Roy would have been more content but seeing Arsenal win the double and losing to Leverkussen in the Champions League semi final was eating him up. He should have skipped Saipan and gone straight but there's no guarantee he wouldn't have kicked off in Japan. Have to laugh at some of the comments saying McCarthy should have been treating Roy differently to the rest when he'd been doing exactly that for years

One argument I heard put forward by Keane supporters during the tournament was that the FAI should have flown Denis Irwin to the tournament, so that Roy would have a room-mate and someone to keep him company.LOL

Keane's relationship with Irish football was very much on his own terms. In the calendar years of 1995 and 1996, he won a total of 4 caps at a time when he was almost ever-present for United. As already referred to on this thread, he missed the second leg in Iran on a Thursday evening, yet was fit to play 90 minutes for United less than 48 hours later. He then played a mid-week match in Europe and a subsequent match against Arsenal. Three 90-minute appearances in the 9 days that followed the Iran play-off. By comparison, Niall Quinn was carrying an injury and made the trip to Tehran to ensure that he was giving his backing to the squad.

In some respects, it might have been a blessing in disguise that Keane combusted in Saipan, rather than him throwing a tantrum in Japan and ruining the tournament. We'll never know how the squad might have fared with him in it, but it could be argued that his absence liberated the players at that tournament and that they were a happier squad as a result.

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:20am
Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

In some respects, it might have been a blessing in disguise that Keane combusted in Saipan, rather than him throwing a tantrum in Japan and ruining the tournament. We'll never know how the squad might have fared with him in it, but it could be argued that his absence liberated the players at that tournament and that they were a happier squad as a result.

True. Although it could also be argued that his presence, as our one true world class player at the time, could have propelled us to our best ever finish at what was in truth a pretty average world cup. That German team was gash and they managed to scrape all the way through to the final. As you say we'll never know.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:37am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I presume the people that live there have been? Surprised you haven't Murph!
I think the Northern Mariana Islands are half way between Japan and Papua New Guinea, very roughly Thumbs Up
Hummmmm lots of Islands down that way . Was shocked when i found out that the Philipines has 7,700 islands .
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:49am
Is the population of Saipan mostly septics now?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

True. Although it could also be argued that his presence, as our one true world class player at the time, could have propelled us to our best ever finish at what was in truth a pretty average world cup. That German team was gash and they managed to scrape all the way through to the final. As you say we'll never know.

It's impossible to say and it could certainly have been argued alright. That said, we played far better without Keane against Germany and Spain in the tournament than with him against Holland in the Lansdowne game, for example.

Bit harsh calling that German team gash, there were a very good side with world class players the calibre of Khan, Ballack and Klose and plenty others just under that level. They put 8 past the Saudis and beat Cameroon 2-0 with only ten men after Ramelow was sent off early on. Did what they had to do in the knock outs. Always feel that Germany team is talked down over here as it suited the narrative to suggest we would have beaten them with RK in the team and played Paraguay in the last 16 rather than Spain on our way to the final. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic