You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What book are you reading at the moment ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 75>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 11:56am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I am afraid that most of my visits to Glasgow have neglected all higher culture completely, something I aim to put right later on this year. My first trip to Glasgow, at 17,  involved knocking on the window of Bairds at 8 in the morning and stayed remarkably consistent after that. Even when I lived there for about four months in 2003. 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186534-d9599226-Reviews-Voltaire_Rousseau-Glasgow_Scotland.html

You will love Voltaire & Rousseau, I've taken friedns of mine there having told them about "the craziest bookshop you'll ever see" and their jaws just hit the floor when they walk in. LOL

It's located in Otago Lane in the West End. In fact it's one of a trio of great second hand bookshops in the immediate area.

Just get the Subway out to Kelvinbridge and your only a two minute walk away over the auld bridge ! 

As I say you'll have V&R on Otago Lane but just a hop, skip and jump round the corner is also Thistle Books on Otago Street, follow the signs as it's round a side entrance.

Thistle Books is a bloody brilliant secondhand bookshop and the old boy who looks after the place is a genuinely lovely guy too with an amazing knowledge of literature.

And round the corner from that on the Great Western Road is Caledonia Books. A bit more upmarket than V&R and Thistle Books but a great selection of books too. The owners will quite casually tell you about amazing antique books they've found or pull down a first edition work by Charles Dickens to show you.

Oh and the Transport Museum is a must. Though I must admit I preferred it much better when it was at Kelvin Hall. Love those auld trams and trains and the beautiful model ships Big smile I think you would also really enjoy the social history that the People's Palace caters for.

Don't forget to indulge in some "people watching" at George Sq on the nice sunny days Cool I do it and I am not in the slightest bit ashamed of it because I am a nosey bastard !Tongue

Few people who come to Glasgow ever visit it but up at Robroyston is a small monument you might like to visit. 

A monument commemorating that on or near that site on August 5th 1305, the greatest Scot of all - Sir William Wallace - was betrayed to an English patrol by John de Mentieth and taken to London for trial, whose authority he refused to recognise, and to suffer a horrific, slow, brutal execution. There are usually some flowers that people have left always lying at it.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 12:36pm
Sound man! Looking forward to a trip back up the road now!
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 5:15pm

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Starting the below today looking forward to it

Related image 
Let me know if it is any good. 

Finished today. Really interesting insight into Richeys life up to his  disappearance. It contains a lot of first person accounts of his actions and without ruining it too much questions whether he  had planned his disappearance for years before,  how he was obsessed with the notion of living in exile and also the possibility of whether he was helped by others or if there was any foul play involved.

A must read for Manics and Richey fans

I'll also point out how incompetent the police come across in the investigation, the same can be said for the NHS and treatment for mental illness too seems terrible

Edited by lassassinblanc - 05 Apr 2019 at 5:19pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:06pm
Nice one! I will trust you enough to order a copy!
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 3:51am
'The Biggest Game in Town' by Al Alvarez. 

I really enjoyed it. Its considered as a poker book but it is some much more. It details the life of poker players and gambling in general in Las Vegas in 1983. Its written before poker became the global success but gives you an idea of the money and madness that Las Vegas is all about. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 9:14am
Red Card - "Fifa and the downfall of the most powerful men in sports".

Reading this at the moment. About 100 pages in and it has mainly focused on Chuck Blazer, Septic, and Jack Warner so far. Didn't have a great deal of knowledge about the levels of corruption within Fifa before reading this, and the timing of our own associations financial irregularities have made this a more interesting read. Warner is shown up to be a complete and utter cowboy in the way he rose to power and how he conducted his dealing with other associations.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 9:39am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Red Card - "Fifa and the downfall of the most powerful men in sports".

Reading this at the moment. About 100 pages in and it has mainly focused on Chuck Blazer, Septic, and Jack Warner so far. Didn't have a great deal of knowledge about the levels of corruption within Fifa before reading this, and the timing of our own associations financial irregularities have made this a more interesting read. Warner is shown up to be a complete and utter cowboy in the way he rose to power and how he conducted his dealing with other associations.

Its very good,the TV deals/scams in South America would make even our man blush.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 10:52am
Just finished the part about the meeting Warner organised for Bin Hammam to secure votes for the presidency. "Don't forget the gifts" - Warner giving envelopes of $40k to every representative. So brazen about it, and didn't even try to disguise that they were bribes. It's that shocking it's almost funny.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 3:03pm
Is that the same man who wrote "Foul"? The English journalist, formerly of the Daily Mail I think, though the book is nonetheless good. Andrew something. I think Blatter ultimately tried to ban him from press conferences and the like.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Is that the same man who wrote "Foul"? The English journalist, formerly of the Daily Mail I think, though the book is nonetheless good. Andrew something. I think Blatter ultimately tried to ban him from press conferences and the like.
Andrew Jennings. A really eccentric journalist who was great entertainment. Sepp did not like him! I think this is book is by an American.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 7:17pm

Written by a fella called Ken Bensinger SD.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 7:51pm

What's the SD for? Is it like Magnum PI? Bensinger Super Detective!
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 8:05pm
I think it's cos he was replying to me PM.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 8:09pm

I think it's cos he was replying to me PM.
I know, but that didn't amuse me.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 11:21pm

Just finished this....bloody hell.....Sepp and Warner.....actually taking the piss
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 2:47am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Just finished this....bloody hell.....Sepp and Warner.....actually taking the piss
God knows JD has been having a damn good go at doing so himself! Clown
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 4:50am

Andrew Jennings. A really eccentric journalist who was great entertainment. Sepp did not like him! I think this is book is by an American.

There's a section on Jennings in the book and his investigation in to Blazer's financial irregularities. Seems like Blazer had the same view of him as Blatter did.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 6:36am

Just read a tweet from Bensigner about the FIFA case;

"Chilling new details - defendants & potential witnesses received anonymous death threats, threatened with extortion, had offices burglarized after meeting prosecutors, and one even found their family dog with its throat slashed - all to discourage cooperation".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 75>
  Share Topic