Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

West Ham

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 87>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 11:30am
He’d be a victim of his own ‘success’, so to speak. Successive Top 7 finishes and the Europa League Semi Final was as good as it’s been since the last year at Upton Park, and before that the Cup Final Season, and before that 1999. What’s happening at the moment is what most WH are used to, and I think the Conference League is covering for the poor performances in the League and now in the Cup.

WH also struggle with big name signings, and in many ways getting the likes of Tarkowski, Lingard and Borja might have had a significantly greater impact than Kehrer, Scammaca and Cornet.
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Do the WHU fans on here feel that Moyes deserves the sack?

Obviously I''m not a WHU fan (thank God), but I would say that Moyes is doing a pretty good job despite everything he has to face.

In particular, I would sympathise with anyone who has to work for the absolute scum who own the club.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Obviously I''m not a WHU fan (thank God)

Aren’t you a Spurs fan? It’s not like you won the lotto when it came to the team you support, either.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Obviously I''m not a WHU fan (thank God)

Aren’t you a Spurs fan? It’s not like you won the lotto when it came to the team you support, either.
If it were a question of supporting WHU, I think I'd nearly rather be an Arsenal fa....

Nope, sorry, can't complete that sentence.

Anyhow, my point was that whatever you think of WHU as a club, their present owners are vile individuals who, even if they are/were competent, are only interested in what owning the club can do for them, not what they can do for the club.

Meanwhile, I'm quite happy to follow Spurs. I mean, as someone who's also an NI fan, it's not as if I'm a Glory Huntier, is it? Wink
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 8:08am

Moyes job in doubt now it's five defeats on the trot ?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 3:31pm
Moyes out if the Amers lose to Everton? 

The Rafa Benitez rumours appear to be just that - rumours? 

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Gianluca Scamacca he is a 35million striker? Is he not a flop....I know it's too early to be writing any player off but...

God no, the lad looks magic. Wouldn't swap him for Darwin at this stage. Involved in the link up play, and scoring some cracking goals. Begging to build a great combination with Paqueta. Only question at the moment is how long WH can keep him.

Is he a flop yet? 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 10:20am

Gianluca Scamacca he is a 35million striker? Is he not a flop....I know it's too early to be writing any player off but...

God no, the lad looks magic. Wouldn't swap him for Darwin at this stage. Involved in the link up play, and scoring some cracking goals. Begging to build a great combination with Paqueta. Only question at the moment is how long WH can keep him.

Is he a flop yet? 
He's been injury prone more than a flop, they haven't been able to get him fit at all, sent for another scan last eek, sounds like they can't figure out what's wrong with the chap
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 10:34am
Not a flop, but apart from his injury woes, he is also a player that Moyes’ system is unsuited to. WH have bought a few ‘lucky bags’ in the past when it comes to multiple signings, but this year each signing should have been an upgrade and so far none of them are having a noticable impact. To me, this has more to do with the system, as opposed to the players being poor.

In terms of Moyes himself, I think he’s in the final days of his reign. The results across 2022 were generally poor, and they have really nosedived since Halloween. Any result against Everton is likely to be a ‘last sting.’ 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 11:07am

Is he a flop yet? 
Was at WHU vs Brentford a couple of weeks back (Bees won 2-0 at a canter.) Anyhow, I know it's only one game etc, but that evening at least, Scamacca looked like 6' 6" of pure dung.

Tbf, he was hardly alone in that in a crap WHU team, although Declan Rice oozed class, even as his team was outplayed from start to finish.

Should WHU get relegated, Rice will certainly leave (probably will anyway) and with WHU's record in the transfer market, you wouldn't fancy them to reinvest his £80m+ ttransfer fee.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 6:36pm
Moyes getting a vote of confidence from the board not usually a good sign!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 6:41am
David Sullivan not impressed by the the government white paper to reform British football with a regulator being introduced saying it will be a waste of money.

DS describes the current government as the worst government ever.( I'm with him on that)  stating that we pay the highest taxes ever and the country is in a mess because of their incompetence.
The government are doing this purely as a PR exercise in his view.

The whole thing could take 18 months to implement when hopefully there will be a new government in office.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

David Sullivan not impressed by the the government white paper to reform British football with a regulator being introduced saying it will be a waste of money.

DS describes the current government as the worst government ever.( I'm with him on that)  stating that we pay the highest taxes ever and the country is in a mess because of their incompetence.
The government are doing this purely as a PR exercise in his view.

The whole thing could take 18 months to implement when hopefully there will be a new government in office.

I'm sure he was eyeing up selling the club to whoever he liked for the biggest pot of cash he can get at some point - This might impact that so not surprised he isn't in favour.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 10:07am
West Ham look like they are going down. The players they’ve brought in aren’t cutting it and the ones who did so well last season are not responding to Moyes. Young “Up The Ra” Rice will leave for one of the big clubs no matter what. A change of manager is probably overdue.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 11:47am
Probably due a rebuild alright, Scamacca/Paqueta are taking far longer to settle that I'd have liked, feels like Haller/Felipe Anderson part 2. Cornet out injured all year has been brutal, Aguerd has looked superb at the back. Kehrer has been moved around too much to allow to settle.

Last few years players like Antonio/Bowen really overachieved, that wasn't gonna last forever.

Main thing at the moment is to stay up, massive wages if they go down (sub keeper is on €120k/week), I'm 50/50 as to whether Moyes stays or goes, I'd do it if we had a solid replacement lined up (If Rafa took it I'd make the move, maybe Pochetino, not for the others mentioned - Lampard, Nuno, Carrick etc).

Rice needs to be sold in the off season either way, no point in keeping him for a relegation battle and lose him on a free next season.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 11:54am
Unfortunately for Moyes, old problems are coming back to haunt him. His biggest challenge seems to be managing large changes in a squad. Think Everton in 2005, or even Sunderland in 2016. He also seems to struggle to arrest a slide, and that happened at Man United, during his second season at Sociedad, and during his time at Sunderland.

From reading the Liverpool thread, it seems some fans are seeing similar patterns to Klopp's final years with other clubs. History is repeating itself a bit with Moyes, and I'm firmly of the view he should be moved on. He is currently running on fumes, and has been secured by a win against Everton, a couple of draws against Newcastle and Chelsea, and wins in the cup. League form has been a problem dating back to last season.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 11:55am
I read in yesterday's paper that In 23 matches (69 points) against the 'Big Six', Moyes' West Ham have taken 3 points.

Now I actually think Moyes is a decent-enough manager, or at least as good as WHU are likely to get. But if the evidence of WHU's games against Spurs is anything to go by, I can only think his strategy against the top sides is to defend at all costs, to try to sneak a draw.

Which strategy is fine so long as you don't concede, but the minute you do, then your players suddenly have to adjust to a different mindset, and dfifferent tactics etc. And when those same players don't usually score many even in the best of circumstances, that is hard even against weaker teams, never mind the best ones..

Meaning that with their record, Moyes might as well set up his team to "go for it", at home at least, on the basis that even a good few three or four goal defeats would surely be outweighed by the very occasional 2-0 or 2-1 victory.

Or is that too simplistic?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 12:05pm

I read in yesterday's paper that In 23 matches (69 points) against the 'Big Six', Moyes' West Ham have taken 3 points.

Now I actually think Moyes is a decent-enough manager, or at least as good as WHU are likely to get. But if the evidence of WHU's games against Spurs is anything to go by, I can only think his strategy against the top sides is to defend at all costs, to try to sneak a draw.

Which strategy is fine so long as you don't concede, but the minute you do, then your players suddenly have to adjust to a different mindset, and dfifferent tactics etc. And when those same players don't usually score many even in the best of circumstances, that is hard even against weaker teams, never mind the best ones..

Meaning that with their record, Moyes might as well set up his team to "go for it", at home at least, on the basis that even a good few three or four goal defeats would surely be outweighed by the very occasional 2-0 or 2-1 victory.

Or is that too simplistic?

I think there is a lot of accuracy there. It hasn't surprised me that WH have struggled to implement the likes of Paqueta into the team. Its not the first time a top name has been signed, for big money, and been out of place at West Ham. It started with Alou Diarra in 2012, and we have seen the likes of Antonio Nocherino, Alex Song, Andre Ayew, Javier Hernandez, Anderson, Haller roll in an out of the club without making the mark they ought to have.

But, Moyes continues to revert back to the likes of Bowen, Antonio, Cresswell, Ogbonna, and Soucek who are either running on empty or ageing out. He's had a lot of success with these players (some of the are exceptionally over-worked), but its now run its course, and people have figured out the game-plan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 87>
  Share Topic