You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

' we'll see where they are when it implodes?'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by dunloybhoy dunloybhoy wrote:

the leagues piss poor. lets be honest, outside of the top 5/6 teams would you actually pay to watch stoke v villa or WBA v Newcastle unless you were a fan of the teams.
But that's all they're aiming for. Stoke etc are never going to be a "day out" for a tourist.

As long as they contiune to attract the locals they'll be grand.

I work here with a Brighton fan and a Norwich fan, I'm never gonna watch those games, but to the guys who grew up watching them they'll never leave.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by ZinedineKibane ZinedineKibane wrote:

I can see a push for less league games and more European games in the future. The top Leagues will prob drop to 16-18 teams and more European matches. 

But imagine if there was a Top 20 European Super league ..... some games each week!

Week 1

Man u v Barca
Real v Inter Milan
Al Madrid v Liverpool
Porto v Bayern Mun
Chelsea v AC Milan
Man City v Benfica
Lyon v Juve
Bor Dortmd v Anderlecht
Galatasaray v Roma
Ajax v Celtic

There were more European matches between 1999 and 2003 when there was a second group stage. Teams had to play 17 matches rather than 13 to win the Champions League. It was sh*t and people got bored of it. 

A European league like that above would be boring. 
Yeah that fixture lineup above would be awfully dull. You'll have 4/5 teams in with a chance of winning the league, probably down to a two horse race by this time of the year, then depending on relegation a few more teams involved, and a whole lot of mid-table uselessness.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 1:38pm
I expect there to be huge problems in the next 20 years.A huge amount of young people haven't grown up with regularly going games due to cost .If the older fans aren't replaced teams/leagues will suffer.
I also don't think there will ever be as big a TV deal as was just signed.IPTV/streaming is going to have a huge negative effect on football finance's.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 1:38pm
Yeah, the current structure works better than a superleague ever would.

I know the NFL is massive in the States but there are a still lot of dead rubber games near the end of the season. A system with the team with most points winning would only make that worse. A superleague would only work if there were playoffs. A league with between 20 and 32 teams (possibly with some geographic separation, like the NFL) and then playoffs at the end of the year. It would result in more frequent matchups between Real and Barca, Bayern and Dortmund, United and Arsenal, Juve and Milan, etc etc, but with playoffs at seasons end to keep things interesting.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 1:39pm

the leagues piss poor. lets be honest, outside of the top 5/6 teams would you actually pay to watch stoke v villa or WBA v Newcastle unless you were a fan of the teams.

i went to everton v villa a few seasons back (fan of neither team) expecting this great game. my first EPL game. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz bored senseless through it. I actally laughed at my mate who turned to me and said "jesus this is as bad as that celtic v motherwell game you took me to!" 

Look the german league is producing better players and doing it for cheaper. whereas the premier league is producing poorer players (english) and spending millions.

Falco for example is here for the $, nothing more. he will play crap (as hes doing) and make a fortune and leave. Thats all the EPL is.

Could say the same with all top leagues

The German league is an uncompetitive procession with Bayern having the monopoly of all the best players in it. 

I could laugh at these people who always say the EPL is sh*t and German league is a lot better, yet they never miss a MOTD or Super Sunday and haven't watched a Bundesliga game in their lives. (I'm not getting at you here by the way)

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 27 Feb 2015 at 1:43pm
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

But that's all they're aiming for. Stoke etc are never going to be a "day out" for a tourist.

As long as they contiune to attract the locals they'll be grand.

I work here with a Brighton fan and a Norwich fan, I'm never gonna watch those games, but to the guys who grew up watching them they'll never leave.
England has a wonderful and unique system in that there has always been a culture of regularly supporting local teams right down to non-league. Other countries don't have that and fill lower divisions with pointless reserve teams. That depth of interest down the levels is why England has the best football culture in the world. The Football League Show on Saturday nights is always good to watch. 

Money is beginning to erode things though, and in the Premier League more than in lower divisions. Newcastle were mentioned earlier and it's that constant mid-table pointlessness that must really be the most depressing thing for a football supporter. Newcastle will probably still be bobbing around pointlessly in mid-table in 20 or 40 years' time. 

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I know the NFL is massive in the States but there are a still lot of dead rubber games near the end of the season. A system with the team with most points winning would only make that worse. A superleague would only work if there were playoffs. A league with between 20 and 32 teams (possibly with some geographic separation, like the NFL) and then playoffs at the end of the year. It would result in more frequent matchups between Real and Barca, Bayern and Dortmund, United and Arsenal, Juve and Milan, etc etc, but with playoffs at seasons end to keep things interesting.
US sports have a different culture where leagues are closed shops based on franchising. 

Football is based on a pyramid system where, in theory anyway, Accrington Stanley can progress up the divisions and win the league or the European Cup.

You can't impose that US-style system on football and expect it to meet with anything other than complete opposition, and rightly so.

Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 1:49pm

I would like to a 32 team Super League with a play-off system. Pretty much all sports have moved to a Play-off/Grand Final System. Football is still stuck in the round robin format that was devised nealy 150 years ago and hasnt change. I would like to see us move more towards the Grand Final system. Seeing football leagues being decided in slow motion is a bit tedious.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 2:11pm

US sports have a different culture where leagues are closed shops based on franchising. 

Football is based on a pyramid system where, in theory anyway, Accrington Stanley can progress up the divisions and win the league or the European Cup.

You can't impose that US-style system on football and expect it to meet with anything other than complete opposition, and rightly so.

I know that. I'm just saying that if a Superleague format comes in, it would have to incorporate a playoff system. It couldn't just run on a round robin with nothing else added.

The question of whether or not a superleague could work with relegation is another matter entirely. It's hard to think it could work or that the clubs would be interested in setting up a league like that. I mean, if you had a 32 team league, you'd have something like 6 British clubs (5 English and 1 Scottish), 4 Spanish, 3 French, 2 Portuguese, 5 Italians, 2 Dutch, 4 Germans, 2 Turkish, then maybe one each from Greece, Switzerland, Belgium and Russia to spread the interest. Having one team from every country relegated each year would be unacceptable to the clubs setting it up, or even having the bottom few clubs relegated, regardless of where they come from, and it would be clubs not UEFA setting it up. The lack of certainty would kill clubs.

If you think the drop off from the Premier League to the Championship is steep in terms of TV money, imagine what this would be like. Just look at the countries where tv rights are sold individually. Barca and Real take in something like 80% of Spanish tv money. They go and the rest are goners. And that's only domestic money. The money currently spent on Champions League rights would be added to this too. What is currently Champions League money plus the majority of domestic money would go to the Superleague. The remaining domestic leagues would suffer massively. I cannot see that clubs setting up a superleague would be prepared to take the risk of relegation and the drop in income that would entail. The big clubs at the minute make most money domestically and they are happy with that. A superleague with relegation would put that all at risk.

It would probably have to be a franchise system without relegation, from the point of view of tv money distribution. That is true. That would hard to justify to fans as well, I accept that. All my initial point concerned was that you'd need playoffs to keep it interesting. I don't think you could have relegation.

There are many reasons fans wouldn't be interested in a Superleague and the fact there couldn't be relegation (because the founder clubs would not allow it) is just one of them.

Plus, I imagine players' unions would be opposed. You'd go from a system at the minute where there are 20 clubs in England with players all making pretty good money. The same is true to a lesser extent in the rest of Europe (bottom level Serie A and La Liga players make a fair bit less). Tv money is to thank for that. If you remove sizeable Tv money from all but the Superleague (which is what would happen) then professional players outside the Superleague would make a hell of a lot less money. It would be the lucky few who make big bucks. Even the hit Championship level players would take would be big because there would be no parachute payments, no solidarity payments, no owners spending big in the hope of reaching the promised land. It would lead to a small cohort of very elite players making the real money while the likes of Jon Walters, Lee Catermole and Phil Jagielka will be making a hell of a lot less than they are at the minute. The PFA would not be likely to go for that.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 27 Feb 2015 at 2:16pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 3:06pm

Originally posted by ZinedineKibane ZinedineKibane wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

A european league was talked about 15 or 20 years ago
i would say its even further away today
not going to happen IMO

I can see a push for less league games and more European games in the future. The top Leagues will prob drop to 16-18 teams and more European matches. 

But imagine if there was a Top 20 European Super league ..... some games each week!

Week 1

Man u v Barca
Real v Inter Milan
Al Madrid v Liverpool
Porto v Bayern Mun
Chelsea v AC Milan
Man City v Benfica
Lyon v Juve
Bor Dortmd v Anderlecht
Galatasaray v Roma
Ajax v Celtic

There were more European matches between 1999 and 2003 when there was a second group stage. Teams had to play 17 matches rather than 13 to win the Champions League. It was sh*t and people got bored of it. 

A European league like that above would be boring. 

Variety is essential in sport and a European league would kill that completely, not that it's great at the moment, because it isn't, but a European league would make it worse. 

The Europa League is a far more interesting competition than the Champions League this year in my view because there's a bit of variety in it. The Champions League has been muck over the last few years, dull and predictable, largely dull and predictable even with Dortmund and Atletico Madrid reaching the final.

yeah I agree, this format didn't work but I do think the money men will come back and try something else. A mini-league on top of a mini-league is no good. 

d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 3:19pm
Since they started dragging the arse out of the Champions league it has technically become a European Super league anyway with the UEFA cup acting as a championship. Amazed that teams who are regularly in the group stages get great away followings from the off. Surely the novelty of an away trip to Europe for Arsenal fans must be waning especially in the knowledge that they will make a pigs ear of the quarter finals and exit in the same way.

Domestic leagues will never be dissolved. They have their flaws and are of differing quality but they are the bread and butter for fans all over Europe and long may it continue. The whole inter country rivalry with other clubs/towns and cities is what make them interesting.

Would be nice for the armchair fan or fans who do not really support a team.

d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 3:26pm
i do think the premiership is suffering from a lack of characters at the moment. No real rivalry these days on the pitch. Man Utd and Arsenal players all pally with each other before matches in the tunnel. Keano, Vieira and Neville would not stand for it. Only set of players who despise each other i think is Chelsea v Liverpool. Hence good games with lots of needle but never dull

Not supporting a premiership team i only rarely watch it these days. Tune in for the top 6 clashes but they really flatter to deceive at times particularly early in the season when their is relatively little at stake and they can be cagey affairs. The battle for 4th does my head in. Not as if they ever do anything in the Champions league.

Love the latter stages of the Champions league though

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 3:48pm
I hate this system they've had for the Champions League last 16 for the last few years where the matches are spread out over different weeks. 3 weeks between legs which kills momentum and interest and you get sh*t matches on a lot of the nights being covered live eg Schalke v Real Madrid last week.

Same with the international qualifiers being spread out over a week. Boring. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 3:53pm
Ah the Internationals works a bit.

It would work a hell of a lot better if the matches in each group were spread out but they can't do that because of the need to play return legs. I mean, we have more interest in this country in how Poland and Germany get on than, say, the French do, because they are in our group.

On the breaks with only one game, they should spread the games in each group out.
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 4:05pm
i like the pairs of international games but should be Friday night followed by Wednesday night.

Still cannot believe the Poland game is on a Sunday. What would Christ think

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

i like the pairs of international games but should be Friday night followed by Wednesday night.

Still cannot believe the Poland game is on a Sunday. What would Christ think

who are Israel playing?
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 4:41pm
tbh i used to follow english football even tho i didnt support anyone but over this past number of years i dont watch it at all. 

I honestly lost interest in it. Each year its the same thing. Man City, chelsea, arsenal, man u all are favs to win it. Spurs are talked about each time as 'they need to do somehting', liverpool and their glory years. The rest just make up numbers.

I know i follow scottish football and its just poor compared to the championship in england but when teams like stoke, west brom etc have more money than my own team with stadiums of only 26k and they dont fill it every week it makes me depressed.

With the amount of money these teams have they should all be far better than they are. Better grounds and facilities but they dont. The mid table teams sole purpose is to stay in the EPL and exist with a one off cup run. Its, just pointless imo.

Again dont get me wrong celtic win the league, again, its boring but at least we try to do something in europe. we find decent players, improve them and sell at a profit whilst being sucessfull and punching above our weight in Europe. All the while we maintain a wages structure and make profit.

The EPL was a good product untill the likes of roman abramovich at Chelsea and Sheikh Mansour at Man city riuned it and made it untouchable for the smaller clubs.
put em under pressure!
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 4:57pm

tbh i used to follow english football even tho i didnt support anyone but over this past number of years i dont watch it at all. 

I honestly lost interest in it. Each year its the same thing. Man City, chelsea, arsenal, man u all are favs to win it. Spurs are talked about each time as 'they need to do somehting', liverpool and their glory years. The rest just make up numbers.

I know i follow scottish football and its just poor compared to the championship in england but when teams like stoke, west brom etc have more money than my own team with stadiums of only 26k and they dont fill it every week it makes me depressed.

With the amount of money these teams have they should all be far better than they are. Better grounds and facilities but they dont. The mid table teams sole purpose is to stay in the EPL and exist with a one off cup run. Its, just pointless imo.

Again dont get me wrong celtic win the league, again, its boring but at least we try to do something in europe. we find decent players, improve them and sell at a profit whilst being sucessfull and punching above our weight in Europe. All the while we maintain a wages structure and make profit.

The EPL was a good product untill the likes of roman abramovich at Chelsea and Sheikh Mansour at Man city riuned it and made it untouchable for the smaller clubs.

EPL each year is the same thing? Man City are only recent interlopers. I do agree that it's become a bit staid but you've only got to look at the past few seasons to see Man U failing that it's not written in stone.

The duopoly of the Scottish league is not? Holy f**k, it's gotten worse since the Rangers imploded. 
Of course the Celts try and do something in Europe as they sure as f**k need something to aim for as they only have to turn up to win their own league or as was the case - better Rangers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic