You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 11:48pm
 I think it will end 0-0 with us showing no ambition to win in a snoozefest of a game.
The only way is up
Sponsored Links

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:00am
Think winning in Cardiff is a step too far but you never know and it will be some night in the history of Irish football if we can win and get too a playoff or the very very slim outside chance of automatic qualification

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:06am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I'd give us more of a chance if Wales only needed a draw and they played with caution and we nicked a goal. The fact that they know they need to win to a) give them an outside chance of topping the group or b) get the last play-off place, I think them needing to win will mean we may get a bit of a battering and Wales can attack. We may be able to hold them off and even get a goal of our own, but they will keep coming the whole game. It kinda has the feeling to me that we are starting from -1 if that makes any sense

I'd love to think we could do it but I think as much as people do not like to admit it, Wales are a better side than us, not as big of a gap without Bale but still a small level up and they are the home side.

Turkey are a far better side than Iceland on paper. Look what happened tonight. It's all about attitude. If we're giving up against a strike force of Hal Robson Kanu and Sam Vokes before a ball is kicked, then what's the point in going to a World Cup?
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:06am
Have to agree with others, its a huge ask to win in Cardiff. They are the form team winning their last 3 games conceding none. But in football you never know but I think its more hope than expectation.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Have to agree with others, its a huge ask to win in Cardiff. They are the form team winning their last 3 games conceding none. But in football you never know but I think its more hope than expectation.

The absence of Bale certainly might be a factor and could make it far more of a 50-50 game.
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:09am
If Murphy plays then we'r going long ball and that will suit Wales....mop it up and hit us on the break.....there's just no goals in this Ireland team and that will be our undoing.. A awful draw or Wales 1-0.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:10am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

If Murphy plays then we'r going long ball and that will suit Wales....mop it up and hit us on the break.....there's just no goals in this Ireland team and that will be our undoing.. A awful draw or Wales 1-0.
were going long ball no matter who plays. Thats our only gameplan right now. long ball and duffy to score from a set piece.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:11am
0-0 for me. i think the two sides cancel each other out and it's a brutal game. Hope i'm wrong
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

I'd give us more of a chance if Wales only needed a draw and they played with caution and we nicked a goal. The fact that they know they need to win to a) give them an outside chance of topping the group or b) get the last play-off place, I think them needing to win will mean we may get a bit of a battering and Wales can attack. We may be able to hold them off and even get a goal of our own, but they will keep coming the whole game. It kinda has the feeling to me that we are starting from -1 if that makes any sense

I'd love to think we could do it but I think as much as people do not like to admit it, Wales are a better side than us, not as big of a gap without Bale but still a small level up and they are the home side.

Turkey are a far better side than Iceland on paper. Look what happened tonight. It's all about attitude. If we're giving up against a strike force of Hal Robson Kanu and Sam Vokes before a ball is kicked, then what's the point in going to a World Cup?

Iceland outside of the obvious big guns, are possibly the most well oil machine in European football right now. They pick off teams at will, I think you're giving them a bit of discredit there. Turkey are still turning to Emre at 37!!!! 

We're going into facing Wales with a strike force of Shane Long and Daryl Murphy though so pot kettle....

Edited by Green Devil - 07 Oct 2017 at 12:13am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:15am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

We're going into facing Wales with a strike force of Shane Long and Daryl Murphy though. 

Yeah, exactly. Wales will fancy their chances and behind the scenes I'd imagine our players very much fancy their own.

We're going over to play Wales in the Cardiff City Staduim, not Germany in the Berlin Olympic Arena.

It's literally two teams who have a mix of poor premier league players, and decent championship players facing off - we shouldn't feel any inferiority.
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:17am
Wales can mix there game up though....we have a team (and manager) that play one type of hoofball....that'll be the diffence on Monday
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:18am
For sure we shouldn't feel any inferiority towards Wales but I like many others am struggling to see where this performance of ours is going to come from after what can only be described as a horrendous 2017 for this Irish team. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:18am

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

We're going into facing Wales with a strike force of Shane Long and Daryl Murphy though. 

Yeah, exactly. Wales will fancy their chances and behind the scenes I'd imagine our players very much fancy their own.

We're going over to play Wales in the Cardiff City Staduim, not Germany in the Berlin Olympic Arena.

It's literally two teams who have a mix of poor premier league players, and decent championship players facing off - we shouldn't feel any inferiority.

I wouldn't pay much attention to form either given that it is a local derby. Probably the team with most bottle on the night will win it, aided by a little luck
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:18am

The players shouldn't give up and I am sure they won't but I just feel that Wales will create a lot of chances and our defence is not that good. On the flip side, we've been making very hard work of scoring latelly too.

Iceland are surprising everyone, I went through their team today and it's crazy that they are able to pull off so many great results with players not playing at a massively high level.

It's football, anything can happen. Wales are not Spain or Germany either. But i just feel it's too big of an ask with our current lot, I'd give us about a 20% of actually going and getting a win there.

Edited by t_rAndy - 07 Oct 2017 at 12:20am
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:19am

Wales can mix there game up though....we have a team (and manager) that play one type of hoofball....that'll be the diffence on Monday

Negativity on here is crazy. We won in Vienna, a far more intimidating place to go than a cat championship staduim in Cardiff.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:20am

Negativity on here is crazy. We won in Vienna, a far more intimidating place to go than a cat championship staduim in Cardiff.
ehh no
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:25am
Not negative just realistic. Wales got to the semi of the Euros, beating a very good Belgian side. They started this campaign poorly (a lot of nations who have a good tournament this often happens, it's like a come down) but they have really got their act together and I am a bit fearful of them now. Again, not germany or spain so we have a chance but it's very small
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:26am
I'm not particularly worried about what Wales might do to us at all. I'm confident we can limit their opportunities on goal and so on - the worry i have is that they are a very organised, very solid defensive unit and we suffer from a chronic lack of goals. If we had to get a draw out there i'd be fairly confident we'd do it without much hassle. I don't think we have it in us to break down their defence though.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>
  Share Topic