You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 183184185186187 329>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 10:37am
Originally posted by delgado delgado wrote:

That chap from rovers that went to QPR.Armstrong should surely make that list 

I was looking for lads who are playing first team football at a good level already. There are a lot of really decent prospects playing u23 or youth football but many won't make it. 
El Puto Amo
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 10:48am
Yep, that's a good roundup all right of the most likely players in the near-term.

There's layers of lads below/behind those and some of those will excite even more in the coming years.
But for now, we will have to use what we have with a hopeful sprinkling of new talent if it can step up in the coming months.

Edited by Fozz - 18 Jan 2021 at 10:48am
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 10:50am
Lads like Gavin Kilkenny and Will Ferry who are ton fhe verge of a breakthrough, Kilkenny looked v good in his FA Cup appearance for Bournmouth.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Bazunu
    Mcnamara O'shea Collins  O'Conner 

Molumby 
                 Knight Smallbone 

Idah Parrott Connolly  

Subs
Kelleher
Odubeko
Masterson
Taylor
Hodge
Connell 

The potential of that lineup and subs is mouth-watering.
It is great how far Ireland has come when men can admit to salivating over young lads in shorts. 
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 11:11am
It’s great to see and very encouraging that so many of the younger players are out getting game time as opposed to being happy to sit on the bench of a bigger club. Some people are being very critical of our team at the minute the same old “we have no player and there nothing coming through either” the typical lazy argument. 
Just for comparison the most recent u21 group Connolly, Idah, Parrot, O Shea, Knight, Molumby, Travers, O Connor have been capped already. I’d expect Collins, Taylor and possibly Smallbone to be capped at some stage too. 
From the previous u21 group to that under Noel King the players that recieved caps were Rice, Curtis, Cullen and OHara.
A lot more to be optimistic about in the next few years
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 12:00pm
The “next generation” of players as such the U19s are really starting to kick on too McGuinness Collins Bazunu Omobamidele Cassidy Odubeko on the verge of a breakthrough too. 

Even more encouraging then the 21s. Just shows that they weren’t a “freak bunch” and that we have a conveyor belt of talent again now. All of the above bar one I think was born in Ireland.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 12:26pm
You would wonder how much covid will impact the development of younger players. U13 to U16 age bracket that havn't kicked a ball in almost a year you would feel are the most effected.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 12:49pm
Will definitely have an impact for sure. No doubt they will catch up though they will just be a bit more backward then the average 18,19,20 kid for example. It would be double the reason to preach patience with that age group. 

You will get kids aged 13,14 now that will get moves to England aged 16 and they will be very green going over though. Would be the biggest worry.

It is crazy the way we have stopped life for kids that age when you think about it.

Edited by kevin100 - 18 Jan 2021 at 12:51pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 1:10pm
@CillDara's analysis looks pretty spot on. The foundations of a new team are starting to come through. 

There seems to be a worrying gap between senior players like Duffy, Randolph and Mcclean starting to lose form and get first team football regularly and the younger players establishing themselves. Especially going into March games.

The form of Hendrick and hourihane also a worry.

Robinson and Brady playing Premier league football of late is a positive.

I still think it'll be around 2 years before we see some real progress. We all want parrott to hit the ground running and I dont think he's to blame for Millwall poor form but he's not solving that problem yet either. 

If there was a game this week the team would probably look -

Randolph
  Coleman Oshea Egan Stevens

knight McCarthy hendrick 

Robinson Connolly Brady

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 2:27pm
You'd worry about the form of entire senior first 11(and those frequently used). Right through the team, nobody's performing above average at best.

Anyone above average is from the younger ranks. Not many of those either. 

avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

@CillDara's analysis looks pretty spot on. The foundations of a new team are starting to come through. 

There seems to be a worrying gap between senior players like Duffy, Randolph and Mcclean starting to lose form and get first team football regularly and the younger players establishing themselves. Especially going into March games.

The form of Hendrick and hourihane also a worry.

Robinson and Brady playing Premier league football of late is a positive.

I still think it'll be around 2 years before we see some real progress. We all want parrott to hit the ground running and I dont think he's to blame for Millwall poor form but he's not solving that problem yet either. 

If there was a game this week the team would probably look -

Randolph
  Coleman Oshea Egan Stevens

knight McCarthy hendrick 

Robinson Connolly Brady

That's actuly a decent 11.excdpt I wouldn't have Connolly playing Central. He's better cutting in from left. I'd put Brady LB. Connolly wide left. 

As to who plays at 9?? That's my main concern. I'd like to see TP at 9 or as 10.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 3:16pm
Are the calls to play Kelleher ahead of Randolph wild? I think he has to consider Kelleher he would give Kenny another dimension with his ability on the ball it is elite. Also he’s nearly played more than Randolph this year so the game time argument doesn’t wash either. 

Randolph has made mistakes also against  Finland. I love Randolph nothing against him but it’s just very Irish in that we show no foresight and often are too “loyal” to certain players. 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 3:34pm
Randolph doesn’t deserve to be dropped and Kelleher while good still has next to nothing played.
I really think Clark should be in the team
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Are the calls to play Kelleher ahead of Randolph wild? I think he has to consider Kelleher he would give Kenny another dimension with his ability on the ball it is elite. Also he’s nearly played more than Randolph this year so the game time argument doesn’t wash either. 

Randolph has made mistakes also against  Finland. I love Randolph nothing against him but it’s just very Irish in that we show no foresight and often are too “loyal” to certain players. 

Its a good shout and the situation is typical throughout the squad in all positions.

But focusing on GK. 

Randolph has very rarely let us down and even pulled off some worldies.but its obvious he's winding down his career and accepted a final pay day to play second to fabianski. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

We also have three keepers with very good potential in Kelleher, Travers and Buzunu. 
But all are just establishing themselves in the men's game. 

So do you go tried and tested but not playing or long term solution but not tried and tested.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 3:46pm
When you look at almost the whole squad we have available to us right now there really isn't much in it for most positions. Whether that is due to experienced players being off form or young players not quite being there yet. Kelleher and Randolph is one example, I would probably lean towards Randolph for now though.

At centre half any of Duffy, Egan, Clark, O'Shea, Long could probably do a decent job for us without any of them being a standout candidate. On form you'd maybe have O'Shea in there with Egan but I don't think Duffy will be dropped.

Central midfield take your pick between Hendrick, Hourihane, McCarthy, Browne, Cullen, Molumby, Knight.. I don't think there is much between any of them in terms of current ability. This is the area we have to get right though as we have been awful in Central midfield for a good while now with games just passing our midfielders by. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 4:47pm
My factors are 
1. The way Kenny wants to play Kelleher would be the man that is no contest. 
2. Randolph isn’t playing regularly at the moment either Kelleher will nearly wind up with more games played then him and at a higher level nearly.
3. Randolph has been shaky in the Nations League cost us against Finland big time.

Yes football existed before the Natons League/Kenny took over and Randolph has been exceptional for us. 
Just the combination of the 3 factors above makes me think we have to go with Kelleher. Look he could play the Cup game agaisnt United this weekend and have a shocker and I will be laughed at. Things can change. 

If only 2 of the 3 arguments could be made I’d say Randolph no hesitation but those 3 above combined I think the argument for Kelleher is overwhelming.

Edited by kevin100 - 18 Jan 2021 at 4:51pm
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 5:08pm
Kelleher 

Coleman O'Shea Clark Brady

Knight McCarthy Hendrick 

Robinson Troy Connolly
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 5:09pm
Randolph starts vs Serbia, Kelleher at home vs Luxembourg.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 183184185186187 329>
  Share Topic