You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turkey vs ROI-- 23rd March

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 12:38pm
———-— Randolph
Coleman - Duffy - Rice - Ward
——- Hendrick —- Arter
Maguire —Browne — McClean
—————Hogan

I’d like to see Liam Kelly, Matt Doherty, Kevin Long and Conor Hourihane make appearances in the second half.

We want to put out a strong enough team to win this game, the last thing we need is another comprehensive defeat against a side who we should be well able to beat.

Potentially lose against Turkey, then an almost guaranteed loss in Paris, would mean our game against the USA is the last chance we have to gather some momentum ahead of the Wales game.

It’s an awful pity that O’Dowda isn’t fit for these friendlies, I think he’ll become a mainstay in this campaign.

When you combine some of our fresher options, I.e Maguire, Hogan, O’Dowda, Hourihane, Browne and Rice, with our mainstays like Coleman, Duffy, Brady, Hendrick (When on form), McClean and Randolph, we have the makings of a half decent team.

A central midfielder of decent ability is all that is eluding us, I’d be quietly optimistic that between our wingers, and Hogan / Maguire, we’ll find goals.
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

In other words, you're talking sh*te cos you don't have an answer. Thumbs Up

Glad we've cleared that up.
Have an answer to what? Was it a question? To respond, I first need to be able to understand it!
max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 11:17am
I wonder will MON bother naming his customary initial squad greater than the population of Leitrim or narrow it down as its the first stand alone game since Poland at home almost exactly three years ago. 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 11:26am
Originally posted by max max wrote:

I wonder will MON bother naming his customary initial squad greater than the population of Leitrim or narrow it down as its the first stand alone game since Poland at home almost exactly three years ago. 

Well the fact that there's a training camp in the few days prior to the game in Antalya he will need to bring 24 or 25 players anyway just to have 11 v 11 training games while a few will sit them out due to knocks etc..
I'd have no problem him naming a provisional 40 man squad, there will be a few withdrawls, bringing the amount traveling to about 30.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 4:03pm
I hear the FAI is shelling out the €6.40 for tickets for away fans - some gesture. 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 4:06pm
For 200 odd fans, that's well over a grand.

There are LOI fans who'd say that's a waste of FAI money.

They can't win. What do you want them to do? Charter a plane from Superfans airline?

Edited by SuperDave84 - 07 Mar 2018 at 4:07pm
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

For 200 odd fans, that's well over a grand.

There are LOI fans who'd say that's a waste of FAI money.

They can't win. What do you want them to do? Charter a plane from Superfans airline?

He posted this in the cost of football thread in the other section to which I replied as below. Some people never happy.

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Reildogg Reildogg wrote:

Rumours that the FAI will be paying for tickets for Irish fans travelling to Turkey. If true, covering 1% of the cost of the trip is some gesture.  
Its not rumour, its fact and has been discussed elsewhere in relevant threads. Also, on your 1% cost of the trip being covered remark, it certainly reads as a sarcastic comment. If it is indeed sarcastic as I suspect, what would you like them to do? Pay for yours and everyone elses flights and accom? Maybe throw in a full Irish/Turkish every morning, a nice lunch and steak dinner each day with a nice bottle of red?

Now while I know it wont cost them very much to cover the cost (P&P incl) of these tickets for the few heading over, they still didnt have to give them for free. Thats a few times now to far flung places I and others will have benefitted from freebies and as a well known supermarkets slogan goes.... every little helps.

Now if I read your comment wrong and you werent being sarcastic, I apologise profusely and like your good self welcome the “some gesture”.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:20pm
Kieran O'Hara, Declan Rice, Enda Stevens, Darragh Lenihan and Derrick Williams named in Republic of Ireland squad to play Turkey
 Liam Kelly, Alan Judge, Greg Cunningham also included.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:22pm
So O'Neill or Keane have definitely been to watch Blackburn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:24pm
Shane Long is the only outfield player over the age of 30 in the squad
Hogan and Maguire are the other strikers named
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:25pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:25pm
That squad has alot more competition and very few (if any) passengers and I'm a fan.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:25pm
It's not exactly a squad overhaul, but it's a decent start. My one major gripe would be that I'm not sure why we'd need 4 goalkeepers, yet only 3 strikers, very strange..
We're decent enough..
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:26pm
No Glenn Whelan

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:27pm
No McGeeady, no Richard Keogh.

Who else is gone, aside from the retirees?
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:28pm
Ward and Whelan both omitted, must be retired or O'Neill making that decision for them.

I reckon Christie, Williams, Pearce, O'Hara and Lenihan be left out.

Just noticed Randolph not there either, wonder what the crack is there.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

No McGeeady, no Richard Keogh.

Who else is gone, aside from the retirees?

O'Shea, Whelan, Randolph, 
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:29pm
No O'Shea or Randolph. He knows what both can do, and it must be the end of O'Shea at this stage.
The dark side.. And the light
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>
  Share Topic