Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56170
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 1:29am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Turkey vs ROI-- 23rd March
Posted By: Healy52003
Subject: Turkey vs ROI-- 23rd March
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 11:59am
Irish squad to be named Thursday, hopefully a lot of new players will be brought in for the game and we kickstart a badly needed new era

think the game kicks offs at 19.30 our time ?? Prob on Eir Sport

Replies:
Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 12:06pm
5:30 our time 7:30 Turkish time afaik

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 12:11pm
I'll give up all hope in progressing under O'Neill if Rice, Browne, Maguire and Hogan don't play at least 45 minutes in this one.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

I'll give up all hope in progressing under O'Neill if Rice, Browne, Maguire and Hogan don't play at least 45 minutes in this one.

I'd go as far to say it's the most important squad selection of the O'Neill era. He's lost a large proportion of the fan base and if there happens to be little to no new faces then those fans will stay lost.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 12:49pm
Will he be naming his 45 man squad or the real squad?

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 12:49pm
There will not be a lot of changes.

He will pick the usual players, without Hoolahan and Murphy and a couple of additions like Rice and maybe a couple more.

Ultimately he will be picking the best players available to him.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:10pm
John O'Shea, Glenn Whelan and Aiden McGeady haven't seem to have found the sense to retire as of yet.... I hope MON has the balls to make the decision for them

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:22pm
What the fans want - about 8 new faces with 4 new caps

What the fans will get - about 4 new faces with 2 new caps

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

John O'Shea, Glenn Whelan and Aiden McGeady haven't seem to have found the sense to retire as of yet.... I hope MON has the balls to make the decision for them

Basically, the players you don't like?

You could add Long, Walters, Westwood, McShane, Randolph, and Ward to your list while you are at it.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:26pm

It may seem like sense for them to retire,in your opinion, but, despite their limitations, who is better than them, or even potentially better than them, that can be selected?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:35pm
ROI section can be as bad the ROTW section at times.

Dont you dare criticise my favourite players craic

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:48pm
Tbf to O'Shea, I'm not sure there's a need for him to even announce his retirement. McGeady easily has one, and possibly even two, campaigns left to give; and Whelan may be kept around as back-up.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:54pm
Whelan deserves his place in the squad but we will learn absolutely nothing by having him on the pitch in Antalya. John O'Shea on the other hand well I'm not sure if he still can offer anything at this stage of his career and if the rumour of his move to Waterford shortly that should seal his international retirement.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:12pm

Whelan deserves his place in the squad but we will learn absolutely nothing by having him on the pitch in Antalya. John O'Shea on the other hand well I'm not sure if he still can offer anything at this stage of his career and if the rumour of his move to Waterford shortly that should seal his international retirement.
Not specifically Whelan, but we will learn even less by throwing a rookie team out there and they will learn even less again.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:16pm
I'm not saying a rookie team. Hogan and Maguire 45 mins each, Rice and Browne 45 mins each. That will do nicely. I'm sure there will be withdrawal's from the squad anyway.

-------------

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:22pm

Being honest, I don't think there is any need for them to retire. Either they should be selected on merit, or left out to prove themselves worthy of a place in the team. Whelan has been out of a high functioning Villa team, while O'Shea and McGeady have been in a dysfunctional Sunderland team. That doesn't speak well for any of them, but that shouldn't mean they have to retire.

Notwithstanding, I would like to see a number of new faces in the friendly matches. Rice has been playing regular PL football, Doherty has been integral to a very good Wolverhampton team, Hogan and Maguire have been scoring in the Championship, Hourihane has been important in Villa's revival. Browne has been very impressive in a strong PNE team, and I would like to see more of him. Equally, as Alan Judge gets stronger, I would like to see him given a chance to impress.

But that doesn't mean that we should toss the spine of the team. I appreciate that Walters, Brady, and McCarthy are injured, but with luck they will return quickly. Randolph is best placed to continue as keeper. Shane Long isn't scoring to the extent we would like, but he has contributed to Southampton's cause in other ways, and perhaps will be able to rediscover his form.

I think this is an important period for the team, and these games should be used to develop the most balanced and capable squad we have.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Not specifically Whelan, but we will learn even less by throwing a rookie team out there and they will learn even less again.

Totally agree. The 5-1 defeat to Denmark is not our level. That result is not a reason to toss a wholesale amount of players. We need to incrementally develop new players, within the context of established players.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:24pm

I'm not saying a rookie team. Hogan and Maguire 45 mins each, Rice and Browne 45 mins each. That will do nicely. I'm sure there will be withdrawal's from the squad anyway.
I'm not sure that deciding substitutions be for the game begins is helpful either, although regularly done with international friendlies; a large part of what has made them so meaningless. I think we will learn more from players getting a real chance to stake a claim for the future.

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Totally agree. The 5-1 defeat to Denmark is not our level. That result is not a reason to toss a wholesale amount of players. We need to incrementally develop new players, within the context of established players.

+1

I also wouldn't start anymore than 3/4 maximum of new players in the starting line up as it would be just as pointless fielding an entire new team (that would never start a competitive game) as fielding the established one with a couple of cameo roles.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:37pm
Yes. You put out a realistic team with maybe 3 new starters and bring on 1 or 2 more as subs.  If Maguire doesn't start it will be a joke. 

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

+1

I also wouldn't start anymore than 3/4 maximum of new players in the starting line up as it would be just as pointless fielding an entire new team (that would never start a competitive game) as fielding the established one with a couple of cameo roles.

The games against Mexico and Iceland last year are in my mind. It gives little or no context to start and experimental eleven for the sake of it. If all players were available, I would think that it would be beneficial to start 7/8 experienced players, with the rest as new players. For example, i would have no problem starting Hogan and Maguire together, Rice and Doherty in the defence, and Hourihane in the midfield. But the rest of the team should include the likes of Randolph, Coleman, Duffy, McClean etc. And not only that, I would avoid the cameo style appearances, which can tell little or nothing about a player, or in a game which may not suit them. I would also avoid, swapping out experienced heads for new caps.

I agree that a forward looking approach is key, but it has to be done sensibly. My concern is that MON may not be interested in necessary overhaul, and with Wes and Murphy being the only retirements there is little tangible need to change hugely, in spite of that fact that some change is necessary. 

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:52pm

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

+1

The games against Mexico and Iceland last year are in my mind. It gives little or no context to start and experimental eleven for the sake of it. If all players were available, I would think that it would be beneficial to start 7/8 experienced players, with the rest as new players. For example, i would have no problem starting Hogan and Maguire together, Rice and Doherty in the defence, and Hourihane in the midfield. But the rest of the team should include the likes of Randolph, Coleman, Duffy, McClean etc. And not only that, I would avoid the cameo style appearances, which can tell little or nothing about a player, or in a game which may not suit them. I would also avoid, swapping out experienced heads for new caps.

I agree that a forward looking approach is key, but it has to be done sensibly. My concern is that MON may not be interested in necessary overhaul, and with Wes and Murphy being the only retirements there is little tangible need to change hugely, in spite of that fact that some change is necessary. 
Yeah, that is how I would see it. The result may ultimately not matter here but it needs to be treated somewhat competitively by the management team. Maguire deserves to start, if fully fit, as does Rice and possibly one of Hourihane or Browne, surrounded by the better experienced players who will still make up the backbone of the team.

-------------

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

5:30 our time 7:30 Turkish time afaik

hope so I'm going to a Christy Moore show that nignt at 8pm, be nice to catch the match in a pub before hand

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 6:46pm

Being honest, I don't think there is any need for them to retire. Either they should be selected on merit, or left out to prove themselves worthy of a place in the team.

Which has been a key issue of the National team for a good 2-3 campaigns now, there's far too many passengers in the squad getting called up without merit and just for the absolute sake of it.

Shamtheram isn't wrong suggesting the players shouldn't be there - They're all so badly out of form and/or playing at a very poor standard of football atm they shouldn't be even remotely close, and add McShane to the list.
And when you have the likes of Maguire, Browne, Doherty, Hogan, Horgan all still waiting for an appearance if the former are still getting call-ups before the new breed of players, it'd be an absolute disgrace.

No one has said the latter list of players should be immediately starting games, I do agree with what people have said about starting Maguire and 1/2 others and then implementing the others via substitutions etc.
But what I fear the most is the likelihood of MON changing up his system in order to suit the new players coming in is very low - For Maguire/Hogan to work I do think we need them both on the pitch at the same time, Maguire is definitely not a long-ball type of Striker, and I even think Long would benefit from having someone else beside him.

Posted By: garretjoseph
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 5:29am
I’m all for bringing in new blood but playing a lot of players together
for the first time on the road could get ugly fast... think 0-6 or 1-5
After what the Danes did to us do we really want another hammering?

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 7:32am
Originally posted by garretjoseph garretjoseph wrote:

If your not going to play new faces in games like this when are you going to play them? Not much point going over to Turkey for a week's training camp and a friendly to name 8 or 9 regulars in the starting 11

Only way we going to know if these lads are ready is if we play them and oneil needs to start doing so in the friendlies (it's not like the usual starting 11 have been doing great in the friendlies last few years anyway)

I don't think should start 8 or 9 new faces but definitely room for between 4 to 6 new faces to start and get a good 50/60 minutes

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Posted By: wicklowrunner
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 9:59am

It may seem like sense for them to retire,in your opinion, but, despite their limitations, who is better than them, or even potentially better than them, that can be selected?
I think it's great that they dont retire...nothing worse in hearing "I'm retiring to prolong my club career".
"Killer" never retired, they just stopped picking him ...I have the utmost respect for him because of that,,,

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 10:08am
If I was good enough to play for my country, I would not retire from international football, ever. I think a lot of us here would be the same. If you are good enough, you'd want to play.

You have to trust the manager to do what is in the best interests of the country, both in the short term and the longer term, and if that means selecting players who are older, so be it. If all things are equal, it makes sense to have a blend of experience and youth; it is preferable if the players don't take that option away from him.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 10:23am
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

If your not going to play new faces in games like this when are you going to play them? Not much point going over to Turkey for a week's training camp and a friendly to name 8 or 9 regulars in the starting 11

Only way we going to know if these lads are ready is if we play them and oneil needs to start doing so in the friendlies (it's not like the usual starting 11 have been doing great in the friendlies last few years anyway)

I don't think should start 8 or 9 new faces but definitely room for between 4 to 6 new faces to start and get a good 50/60 minutes
Because if we do this nobody will lead anything. Can anybody tell me what we learned from Portugal or Mexico?
A strong eleven with a couple of the lads who have played their way into contention getting a further chance to bed in. I also hope there is no more than 3/4 subs,maximum, or else this whole thing will be yet another pointless exercise.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 12:13pm
----------Randolph------------

----Coleman--Duffy---Rice---Doherty------

--Hendrick----Arter----Hourihane--McClean

---------------Hogan------Maguire---------

I'd be happy with a team like this. Not necessarily in the 4-4-2 formation, or with precisely the same people in the lineup. I also feel it is not helped by injuries to Brady, Walters, and McCarthy, as clarity is lost.

The type of subs I would like to see would be Rob Elliott, Kevin Long, Ciaran Clark, Shane Long, Alan Browne, and Greg Cunningham.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 12:18pm
Making that many subs will completely defeat the purpose. Also, well Doherty started out as a left- back, he has made his case for selection on the opposite side and should really be given his chance there. I also feel that MON doesn't like him.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 12:27pm

Making that many subs will completely defeat the purpose. Also, well Doherty started out as a left- back, he has made his case for selection on the opposite side and should really be given his chance there. I also feel that MON doesn't like him.

Fair point on Doherty. It would be a shame if there was a personal issue which interfered with him getting into the team. He has been very well regarded this term, and on merit should be in front of Christie at the moment. I would agree about not making too many subs at the same time, but those are the players I feel need to be used during the friendly matches.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 12:29pm

Because if we do this nobody will lead anything. Can anybody tell me what we learned from Portugal or Mexico?

Why are the 2 worst examples being used when O'Neill reverted to an all out attack 4 up front  and only 2 in midfield formation in the 2nd half in both matches.

I'm glad you remember those 2 matches because it's the only times where O'Neill wanted to attack teams, even if it was kamikaze and completely overzealous. We were tragic at it but atleast we were entertaining to watch tragic LOL

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 12:34pm

Fair point on Doherty. It would be a shame if there was a personal issue which interfered with him getting into the team. He has been very well regarded this term, and on merit should be in front of Christie at the moment.
I agree. I'm not sure if it is a personal issue, whether MON just doesn't see him as his type of player or, and this is just my own gut instinct, that the player himself isn't overly excited by international football.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Why are the 2 worst examples being used when O'Neill reverted to an all out attack 4 up front  and only 2 in midfield formation in the 2nd half in both matches.

I'm glad you remember those 2 matches because it's the only times where O'Neill wanted to attack teams, even if it was kamikaze and completely overzealous. We were tragic at it but atleast we were entertaining to watch tragic LOL
Genuinely not being smart here, but I have read this a few times now and I haven't a notion what it is about!

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 12:37pm
In other words, you're talking sh*te cos you don't have an answer. Thumbs Up

Glad we've cleared that up.

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 12:38pm
———-— Randolph
Coleman - Duffy - Rice - Ward
——- Hendrick —- Arter
Maguire —Browne — McClean
—————Hogan

I’d like to see Liam Kelly, Matt Doherty, Kevin Long and Conor Hourihane make appearances in the second half.

We want to put out a strong enough team to win this game, the last thing we need is another comprehensive defeat against a side who we should be well able to beat.

Potentially lose against Turkey, then an almost guaranteed loss in Paris, would mean our game against the USA is the last chance we have to gather some momentum ahead of the Wales game.

It’s an awful pity that O’Dowda isn’t fit for these friendlies, I think he’ll become a mainstay in this campaign.

When you combine some of our fresher options, I.e Maguire, Hogan, O’Dowda, Hourihane, Browne and Rice, with our mainstays like Coleman, Duffy, Brady, Hendrick (When on form), McClean and Randolph, we have the makings of a half decent team.

A central midfielder of decent ability is all that is eluding us, I’d be quietly optimistic that between our wingers, and Hogan / Maguire, we’ll find goals.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 12:43pm

In other words, you're talking sh*te cos you don't have an answer. Thumbs Up

Glad we've cleared that up.
Have an answer to what? Was it a question? To respond, I first need to be able to understand it!

-------------

Posted By: max
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 11:17am
I wonder will MON bother naming his customary initial squad greater than the population of Leitrim or narrow it down as its the first stand alone game since Poland at home almost exactly three years ago. 

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 11:26am
Originally posted by max max wrote:

I wonder will MON bother naming his customary initial squad greater than the population of Leitrim or narrow it down as its the first stand alone game since Poland at home almost exactly three years ago. 

Well the fact that there's a training camp in the few days prior to the game in Antalya he will need to bring 24 or 25 players anyway just to have 11 v 11 training games while a few will sit them out due to knocks etc..
I'd have no problem him naming a provisional 40 man squad, there will be a few withdrawls, bringing the amount traveling to about 30.

-------------

Posted By: Reildogg
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 4:03pm
I hear the FAI is shelling out the €6.40 for tickets for away fans - some gesture. 

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 4:06pm
For 200 odd fans, that's well over a grand.

There are LOI fans who'd say that's a waste of FAI money.

They can't win. What do you want them to do? Charter a plane from Superfans airline?

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

For 200 odd fans, that's well over a grand.

There are LOI fans who'd say that's a waste of FAI money.

They can't win. What do you want them to do? Charter a plane from Superfans airline?

He posted this in the cost of football thread in the other section to which I replied as below. Some people never happy.

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Reildogg Reildogg wrote:

Rumours that the FAI will be paying for tickets for Irish fans travelling to Turkey. If true, covering 1% of the cost of the trip is some gesture.  
Its not rumour, its fact and has been discussed elsewhere in relevant threads. Also, on your 1% cost of the trip being covered remark, it certainly reads as a sarcastic comment. If it is indeed sarcastic as I suspect, what would you like them to do? Pay for yours and everyone elses flights and accom? Maybe throw in a full Irish/Turkish every morning, a nice lunch and steak dinner each day with a nice bottle of red?

Now while I know it wont cost them very much to cover the cost (P&P incl) of these tickets for the few heading over, they still didnt have to give them for free. Thats a few times now to far flung places I and others will have benefitted from freebies and as a well known supermarkets slogan goes.... every little helps.

Now if I read your comment wrong and you werent being sarcastic, I apologise profusely and like your good self welcome the “some gesture”.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:20pm
Kieran O'Hara, Declan Rice, Enda Stevens, Darragh Lenihan and Derrick Williams named in Republic of Ireland squad to play Turkey
 Liam Kelly, Alan Judge, Greg Cunningham also included.

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:22pm
So O'Neill or Keane have definitely been to watch Blackburn

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:24pm
Shane Long is the only outfield player over the age of 30 in the squad
Hogan and Maguire are the other strikers named

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:25pm

That squad has alot more competition and very few (if any) passengers and I'm a fan.

It's not exactly a squad overhaul, but it's a decent start. My one major gripe would be that I'm not sure why we'd need 4 goalkeepers, yet only 3 strikers, very strange..

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:26pm
No Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:27pm
No McGeeady, no Richard Keogh.

Who else is gone, aside from the retirees?

Posted By: dubstep
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:28pm
Ward and Whelan both omitted, must be retired or O'Neill making that decision for them.

I reckon Christie, Williams, Pearce, O'Hara and Lenihan be left out.

Just noticed Randolph not there either, wonder what the crack is there.

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

No McGeeady, no Richard Keogh.

Who else is gone, aside from the retirees?

O'Shea, Whelan, Randolph, 

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:29pm
No O'Shea or Randolph. He knows what both can do, and it must be the end of O'Shea at this stage.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:30pm
Why didn't they give the Christian names of the defenders?
It's bugging me

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

Ward and Whelan both omitted, must be retired or O'Neill making that decision for them.

He's been very poor that's what the crack is.

He was shocking against Sunderland a few weeks ago and the week before that against another team, people being dropped because of poor form is a thing I'm a fan of personally.

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:32pm
Be interesting to hear what O'Neill has to say at the press conference about the status of those not included.

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:33pm
He's going to try new faces so there is no need to bring a senior player all the way to Turkey just to sit on the bench.

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

It's not exactly a squad overhaul, but it's a decent start. My one major gripe would be that I'm not sure why we'd need 4 goalkeepers, yet only 3 strikers, very strange..

What more would you have done?

Posted By: dubstep
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:37pm
Lack of height with the 3 strikers is a concern. Absoloutley no reason he couldnt pick Sheridan as a plan b .

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:39pm
Happy with that squad tbh.

Good to see him bringing the likes of O'Hara into the squad

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:42pm
Happy enough with that squad, No O'Shea, Whelan or Mageady which means we are looking to the future. Aiden O'Brien will have to prove himself a bit more but his day will come.

-------------

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:44pm

I’m sure he’ll cut one of the keepers anyhow, but yeah strange not to see 4 strikers named.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: tetsujin1979

Happy enough with that squad, No O'Shea, Whelan or Mageady which means we are looking to the future. Aiden O'Brien will have to prove himself a bit more but his day will come.
O'Brien's recovering from injury at the moment. He's expected back soon, but won't get a lot of gametime between now and the friendly

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Lack of height with the 3 strikers is a concern. Absoloutley no reason he couldnt pick Sheridan as a plan b .

I see it as the opposite. Lack of height means we can’t lump it long.

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

What about the aptly named Shane Long who started nearly every game upfront on his own for us last campaign?

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:46pm
For Nations League, add Brady, O’Dowda, O’Brien, Randolph, McCarthy and that is a very young and competitive sqaud.

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:48pm
Delighted to see Enda Stevens included

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 1:03pm

I highly doubt any of Ward, Randolph, McGeady, Keogh, or Whelan has retired; I'd imagine O'Neill is simply giving others a chance to impress.

O'Shea is the only notable absentee who probably is gone.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 1:03pm
Credit where it’s due, it’s a decent, young squad full of potential. And it’s exactly what we need for these friendlies

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 1:04pm

Long as always been adept at winning aerial battles, and Maguire is deceptively good at it too despite only being 5'9; so I wouldn't count our chickens just yet..

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 1:09pm
Predicting he’ll go with the usual setup but with Maguire in the Walters role on the right.

Would like to see Browne and Conor in the centre of midfield with Hendrick as the #10

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 1:10pm
Happy with the squad, perhaps replace a keeper with a striker but apart from that its good to see a few new faces.

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 1:14pm
Interesting to see how many of the new call ups are adapt in a back three/ wing back system

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 1:22pm
Interesting selection of players.

Any obvious omissions? (excluding the regulars who have been ommitted).

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 1:24pm

It's bugging me
Some of them had protestant names.

-------------

Posted By: max
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 1:24pm
Very happy with that squad Clap

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 1:25pm

Wouldn't be too surprised with the 3 of them being left out. Can't see Christie dropping out though.

No chance Ward is retiring. No need for him on the trip, especially as he's just back in the Burnley XI after injury.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 1:33pm

That's an encouraging squad. If MON wanted to pick a RELATIVELY new starting XI comprised entirely of debutantes or players who only have a handful of caps:

O'Hara/ Elliott

Doherty   Rice  Egan Cunningham/Stevens

Horgan Kelly  Browne  Judge

Maguire Hogan

**Disclaimer** I'm not advocating this team selection. I'm just pointing out there are a lot of new options available to us.  The above XI wouldn't have a huge number of aggregated minutes of international football. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: PaddyDaCulchie
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:04pm
Alex Pearce????? Has barely played in 2years. He is nearly 30. He is not the present and certainly not the future. What's the point in that? Better off calling up likes Ryan Sweeney or Ryan Delaney for the experience if we are calling up other league one players like Williams and Lenihan. Least they may become feasible option if they continue progressing but Pearce, its just pointless calling him up.

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:05pm

It's bugging me

Yeah I suppose. I mean there aren't many Derricks around anymore.

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Interesting selection of players.

Any obvious omissions? (excluding the regulars who have been ommitted).

Trying to think of that myself. Any players doing well in the championship who weren't included?

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:09pm

It's bugging me

Yeah I suppose. I mean there aren't many Derricks around anymore.

Not since the shipyards closed.

-------------

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:11pm
If Darragh Lenihan plays he'll be the 1st ever Irish international representing County Meath

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:15pm
Lenihan rated very highly, £5m price tag on his head last August, expected to sell him and wanted same as they got for Duffy but he injured his knee.

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

If Darragh Lenihan plays he'll be the 1st ever Irish international representing County Meath
That is pretty mad! I thought all the counties of Dublin would have been represented by now.

-------------

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Credit where it’s due, it’s a decent, young squad full of potential. And it’s exactly what we need for these friendlies

Agreed. It's nice to have even the smallest of lifts after the crushing disappointment that was last year. Hopefully a good few of the newer faces get game time.

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:35pm

Long as always been adept at winning aerial battles, and Maguire is deceptively good at it too despite only being 5'9; so I wouldn't count our chickens just yet..
I'd hope it's also a conscious decision to move away from hoofball...I'm personally surprised he has brought in so many fresh faces but happy he has done so

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:36pm
Perhaps some won't agree, but I'd rather see Kieran O'Hara make an appearance over the likes of Westwood, Elliot and Doyle. 

None of those three 'keepers are long term options, and even as short term options they aren't great.

An international cap might even increase O'Hara's chances of appearing in a league cup game for United next season, and will definitely increase his chances of going out on loan to a half-decent side.

From what I've seen of him for our under-21's he is a very decent goalkeeper.

And on a side note, he is English born - cap him now and get him integrated into the side. While it's quite unlikely he'll make it at Man United, a dazzling display in a League Cup / Cup game, and the English press would be wondering why this talented young Man United goalkeeper wasn't in their squad.  

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

Lenihan rated very highly, £5m price tag on his head last August, expected to sell him and wanted same as they got for Duffy but he injured his knee.
A lad I work with is a Blackburn ST holder and speaks very highly of Lenihan. Slightly less enthusiastic about Williams although he said he has improved a hell of a lot recently

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:42pm

Predicting he’ll go with the usual setup but with Maguire in the Walters role on the right.

Would like to see Browne and Conor in the centre of midfield with Hendrick as the #10

Browne has played very well for PNE as a #10. Wouldn't mind trying that out.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:49pm
William's a bit of surprise. Think is best position is left-side of back-three. I wonder if O'Neill is gonna try 3 at the back? Otherwise don't think Williams will make cut unless something happens Cunningham or Stevens

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:53pm
Great to see a lot of new faces in the squad for this one. I think there is a fair chance of a 3-5-2 formation being deployed here. Long and Maguire up top. Coleman back is a huge plus, he has the legs and quality to play as a wing back. Hopefully Rice gets a run out as part of a back 3 and maybe see Browne, Hogan and Doherty getting a run out at some stage as well. Keeper will be interesting without Randolph. Hourihane hopefully in line for a start as well.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

I'd hope it's also a conscious decision to move away from hoofball...I'm personally surprised he has brought in so many fresh faces but happy he has done so

Even if we keep the ball on the grass and play well and win, I fully expect that when the games with something at stake come around, we will once again be playing hoof ball. We’ve been to enough friendlies under O’Neill where we’ve played some really good stuff only to revert back to long ball rubbish in the next game where something is at stake. Trap used to do the same thing. So frustrating.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

A lad I work with is a Blackburn ST holder and speaks very highly of Lenihan. Slightly less enthusiastic about Williams although he said he has improved a hell of a lot recently

Looked good in game I watched at the weekend, one lovely no nonsense crunching tackle, commentators were loving it, saying it wasn't hard to see why Roy Keane was his favourite player.

Happy with the squad but you'd have to be a bit worried that we are dipping down to L1

Posted By: shanemuc
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 3:08pm
I agreed with you 100% on this. You just know its going to the art of football with out playing football.

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 3:11pm
I think it is good that we are looking outside the usual places for players. Our player pool isn't large enough for us to have our squad and team decided by a player's club's position. In this instance I'm not sure if Lenihan is good enough but he may prove me wrong.
I would like us to go 4-3-3 with McClean and Maguire either side of Hogan. I would like to see Stevens and Rice start too, the big debate with the latter is in what position. I'm not a fan of a player being moved about too much at a young age.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 3:23pm

I think it is good that we are looking outside the usual places for players. Our player pool isn't large enough for us to have our squad and team decided by a player's club's position. In this instance I'm not sure if Lenihan is good enough but he may prove me wrong.
I would like us to go 4-3-3 with McClean and Maguire either side of Hogan. I would like to see Stevens and Rice start too, the big debate with the latter is in what position. I'm not a fan of a player being moved about too much at a young age.

I'd much prefer to see promising League 1 players in the squad over tried and tested Championship players like Keogh, O'Shea etc.

It works for Northern Ireland, Iceland and Wales, no reason why we can't see similar results with these type of players.

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 3:31pm

That is pretty mad! I thought all the counties of Dublin would have been represented by now.

Meath, Offaly, Carlow, Tyrone and Leitrim, it seems. Over 50% of all players have been from Dublin (not sure where the ex pats come into it, though).

There have been a few from Drogheda, of course, but it is the wrong side of the border. Some of the newer estates are in Meath but mostly it's Louth.

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 3:34pm

Dunboyne, Dublin 15's finest Clap

Sheffield United bid for him three times in the summer but Blackburn wouldn't sell. Great time for him to come back from injury.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net