Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 35>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aaron Connolly
    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 6:10pm
"I would make an exception for Connolly" your words.

Whether it was OTT or not, you had no problem pre Switzerland game for him to get called up and play.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

isnt it a serious spot we find ourselves in that it takes this sort of performance from one of our stand out young talents that our national manager cant spot the talent and cant include him in our very very limited squad? 

Scott Hogan anyone????? 'Judgey"??? Confused

He has three games to try and qualify us in and prefers to have players with plenty of senior and international experience in ahead of someone who hadn't started a league game before this afternoon. You'd swear he was ignoring someone who's been tearing up the league for the last couple of years the way some are young on
In fact, he's positively referencing him and said he'd consider promoting him if he started starting games. He may well give him the nod now. 

This desire for instant gratification in this day and age is bizarre. 

absolutely crazy stuff to have Hogan ahead of him, no matter what. complete bullsh*t from Mick

Football is full of players who made a big splash when they started and never kicked on. There was never a generation of fans who were outraged when those players weren't instantly fast tracked into the senior squad until the permanently outraged appeared.

Connolly's made a big step today. That may change things. Personally, in the long term, I think letting Kenny develop these lads in the 21s is better for their development but I'd be making an exception for Connolly after today. 

"Despite a ridiculously OTT clamour for him"

Funny that only a few months ago how you've suddenly backtracked and changed your tune to fit your agenda.

Wow. LOL

How have I changed my tune? There was a totally OTT clamour for him to included. There was some ridiculous articles published. There was ridiculous pressure put on him to perform. Personally, I'd have started him in Georgia rather than Switzerland.

If Parrott got minutes every week between now and the end of March and bagged a couple of goals I'd certainly have him in the squad and in contention. Same with Idah. I doubt that'll be the case though. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 5:54pm

isnt it a serious spot we find ourselves in that it takes this sort of performance from one of our stand out young talents that our national manager cant spot the talent and cant include him in our very very limited squad? 

Scott Hogan anyone????? 'Judgey"??? Confused

He has three games to try and qualify us in and prefers to have players with plenty of senior and international experience in ahead of someone who hadn't started a league game before this afternoon. You'd swear he was ignoring someone who's been tearing up the league for the last couple of years the way some are young on
In fact, he's positively referencing him and said he'd consider promoting him if he started starting games. He may well give him the nod now. 

This desire for instant gratification in this day and age is bizarre. 

absolutely crazy stuff to have Hogan ahead of him, no matter what. complete bullsh*t from Mick

Football is full of players who made a big splash when they started and never kicked on. There was never a generation of fans who were outraged when those players weren't instantly fast tracked into the senior squad until the permanently outraged appeared.

Connolly's made a big step today. That may change things. Personally, in the long term, I think letting Kenny develop these lads in the 21s is better for their development but I'd be making an exception for Connolly after today. 

"Despite a ridiculously OTT clamour for him"

Funny that only a few months ago how you've suddenly backtracked and changed your tune to fit your agenda.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 3:31am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Is he the new Stephen Elliott?

Don't be putting pressure on the lad. If he has half the career Elliot had..
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
www.revolut.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 3:13am
Is he the new Stephen Elliott?

Crap senior is my full time stalker. Mr. Brick (Jumbo Mills -the Loudmouth Aussie) is now my 2nd full time stalker. One more and I keep the match ball.

See Jumbo's post below
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 3:10am
I hope the does well and it is fantastic that he has made so many appearances for them this season.

I had concerns about him much earlier than most on here purely based on a terrific start that petered out very quickly. The time on the bench might give him an opportunity to reset and go again (think you are right about him being a winger and would be good to see him in his best position). 

Hope he isn't one of those players that excels as a teenager and underage to have a very ordinary career.
Mr Brick View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Brick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 2:56am
Originally posted by eddiebro eddiebro wrote:

Barring injury Connolly has all the attributes to be a better player than Shane Long (fingers crossed). Only thing stopping him now is the service at Brighton isn’t good enough and there was plenty to be seen of him in Toulon to know he can be quite effective on the left. Certainly can’t see Kenny playing him as a flat 9 when he takes over given his excellent performances with the u21s on the left and it would be surprising if McClean is a guaranteed started by then

I agree to a certain degree. He's a good prospect but he's no certainty. In the few Brighton games I've seen he's played as a central striker - and he's struggled. In fact his best contributions were hitting the deck in search of the whistle. Maybe he would be better on a wing, as suggested by some posters here. The Brighton fans' forum has cooled on him considerably. Despite a few sympathetic "give him time" posts, criticism has ramped up considerably, with suggestions he's simply not EPL material. The moderates were hoping he'd be loaned a Championship club. He may not have to move for that.

You can bring a horse to water but a pencil must be led.
eddiebro View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 8:00pm
Barring injury Connolly has all the attributes to be a better player than Shane Long (fingers crossed). Only thing stopping him now is the service at Brighton isn’t good enough and there was plenty to be seen of him in Toulon to know he can be quite effective on the left. Certainly can’t see Kenny playing him as a flat 9 when he takes over given his excellent performances with the u21s on the left and it would be surprising if McClean is a guaranteed started by then
Left foot View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 3:19pm
He's made fantastic progress this season.

If you'd had said he will see this much first team action just before the season started you would have been ridiculed.

Yes I would like to have seen him add to his goals vs Tottenham and I dont think he's been amazing in some games but he will get better.
Nialler View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN wrote:

Seems to be not getting the same chances as before at Brighton, 36yr old Murray starts and scores ahead of him, shame as could do very well with a decent run in side injury free. Long has to be ahead of him come March

In fairness that is Murray's first start of the season and he didnt bring on either Connolly or Maupay which is the first time that happened. As an aside they have only lost 2 games where Aaron has started. Brighton is a long term project for potter. Has a 6 year deal and they with be quite a new look team next year if they stay up. Ben White,Alzate, Aaron,Trossard and Tariq Lamptey will all be starters. Next year will tell alot. And Aaron imo will be bought if they go down. He really hasn't done alot wrong and at 20 people will take a chance on him. There is a manager at a top team somewhere looking at him and seeing how to use him. I really think his future is at a club bigger than Brighton.
SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 1:57pm
Seems to be not getting the same chances as before at Brighton, 36yr old Murray starts and scores ahead of him, shame as could do very well with a decent run in side injury free. Long has to be ahead of him come March
Left foot View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

He's made his name and forced his way in to the Brighton first team based mainly on scoring goals as a striker for the Under-21 squad  and I'm sure he's always played there for our youth teams. I've never seen him as a winger.

I've seen him for the u21 playing on the left but I totally agree, Connolly should be playing through the middle. 

Not a time to write the guy off, this season is a massive learning experience for him, I think he'll get some more goals this season 
aviva8 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 9:47pm
How in god name is shane duffy not in that team
Conan View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 9:34pm
He's made his name and forced his way in to the Brighton first team based mainly on scoring goals as a striker for the Under-21 squad  and I'm sure he's always played there for our youth teams. I've never seen him as a winger.
Andrew00 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 9:15pm
It's baffling no wonder the poor lad is lacking confidence.

Can't understand why Potter won't play him in his best position out wide 
Fozz View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 9:14pm
Watching Connolly again here...why oh why is he playing down the middle?
All his good play for the 21's was out on the left where he terrorised defenders.
In the centre he isn't getting any ball or any opportunity to run at anyone and get them turned around...it seems a hopeless position for him.

Left foot View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Andrew00 Andrew00 wrote:

Some of the replies to this are madness. "He's absolutely dreadful".. "Should never start for us again"

Wonder who the brighton fans are going to blame after the game this time...
Andrew00 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by engpad engpad wrote:

Really think the best position for Connolly is off the left of a front 3 like he played for the 21s. His directness, pace and overall workrate make him perfect for that role. 

Completely agree. He seems to excel down the left flank anytime he's played there. When Brighton play him as a Right centre forward he seems to struggle. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 35>
  Share Topic