You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 5 gigs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Used to love Blood Sugar Sex Magic
I still like sex, I can take or leave the rest.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Used to love Blood Sugar Sex Magic
I still like sex, I can take or leave the rest.
LOL
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 11:48pm
Simple Minds - Croke Park - 1986
The Jam - Royal Court, Liverpool - 1982
Echo and the Bunnymen, McGonagles - 1982
The Blades - Stables, Greystones - 1982
Tir na nOg - Mother Redcaps - 1991

Edited by Mulvanystrasse - 19 Jul 2019 at 11:50pm
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 3:54am
The Red Hot Chili Peppers are getting a lot of stick, and a bit unfairly so. I'm no fan, but "By The Way" is a cracking album. To be fair though, I think the reason I like the album is because it is a point of reference to a happy time in my life. That is the beauty of music. Without sounding too corny, it can take you elsewhere.

Also, the Black Keys gig at the Point was sh*te

Edited by Paulie - 20 Jul 2019 at 3:56am
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 9:13am
HI was being as fair as possible. I know music is subjective and there are some songs and artists that I know are talentless knobs that I enjoy because of the above reason, but this is a bridge too far.
I’ll put it this way; how many bands have heard these ****s and been inspired to try and make music? They are like the reverse Clash. Their only redeeming feature is Flea being in The Big Lebowski. Christ, even his name is f**king annoying! 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 10:29am
One of the things I always heard about the RHCP is that their live performances are inconsistent and that even die hard fans are easily able to select a best and worst gig they have attended. I have never actively considered paying to see them live, even though I wouldn’t be as critical as some here.

But I do remember that gig they played with The Pixies 15 years ago and the amount of people who attended exclusively for Pixies, and how there was a consensus amongst a large portion of the attendees that the order of the bill was reversed.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 11:14am
Tough again no particular order 

Prince - Malahide Castle - I remember being devastated when he cancelled the Croke Park gig. Was first in the queue for tickets for this and what a phenomenal gig this was. Glad to have seen him before he died. 

The cure - Hyde Park - start to finish this was epic. All I can say. 

Simon and garfunkel-rds - another act I'm glad to have seen, the ambience at it was amazing you could hear a pin drop as they captivated everyone. 

Muse-Dublin Castle - I've seen muse many times but this was the first time I seen them and one I've always remembered. 

Manics-holy bible Olympia-Another band I've seen numerous times but the Holy Bible from start to finish was just special. 

Other notable mentions, placebo have never disappointed, Strokes put on a good show

Edited by lassassinblanc - 20 Jul 2019 at 11:17am
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Tough again no particular order 

Prince - Malahide Castle - I remember being devastated when he cancelled the Croke Park gig. Was first in the queue for tickets for this and what a phenomenal gig this was. Glad to have seen him before he died. 

The cure - Hyde Park - start to finish this was epic. All I can say. 

Simon and garfunkel-rds - another act I'm glad to have seen, the ambience at it was amazing you could hear a pin drop as they captivated everyone. 

Muse-Dublin Castle - I've seen muse many times but this was the first time I seen them and one I've always remembered. 

Manics-holy bible Olympia-Another band I've seen numerous times but the Holy Bible from start to finish was just special. 

Other notable mentions, placebo have never disappointed, Strokes put on a good show

You have a couple of beauts in there. I'll always regret never seeing Prince live and that Cure gig at Hyde Park was supposed to be special alright.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 12:45pm

HI was being as fair as possible. I know music is subjective and there are some songs and artists that I know are talentless knobs that I enjoy because of the above reason, but this is a bridge too far.
I’ll put it this way; how many bands have heard these ****s and been inspired to try and make music? They are like the reverse Clash. Their only redeeming feature is Flea being in The Big Lebowski. Christ, even his name is f**king annoying! 

Considering 95% of their songs are about California, surely they inspired somebody there to play!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Considering 95% of their songs are about California, surely they inspired somebody there to move!
Fixed.

Joking aside, you can judge how good they are musically by how other musicians view them. I am sure you can find a link to someone, somewhere admiring them, but must of the comments I have read from talented musicians seem to suggest that Nick Cave's view dominates.

Edited by pre Madonna - 20 Jul 2019 at 3:14pm
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 3:33pm

Considering 95% of their songs are about California, surely they inspired somebody there to move!

Fixed.

Joking aside, you can judge how good they are musically by how other musicians view them. I am sure you can find a link to someone, somewhere admiring them, but must of the comments I have read from talented musicians seem to suggest that Nick Cave's view dominates.

I had to check up the Nick Cave quote as I hadn't heard it before. Funny.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 4:02pm

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are getting a lot of stick, and a bit unfairly so. I'm no fan, but "By The Way" is a cracking album. To be fair though, I think the reason I like the album is because it is a point of reference to a happy time in my life. That is the beauty of music. Without sounding too corny, it can take you elsewhere.

Also, the Black Keys gig at the Point was sh*te

I was a big fan of them when I was 14/15 but I don't think their music has aged well. Kiedis' book is worth a read though.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 4:55pm
The Nick Cave insult is pretty funny.

Looking it up actually got me reading about Freddie Mercury, whose wit was amazing and cutting!
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 6:06pm
1. RATM at the point 2010
2. Nick Cave Manchester Arena 2017 (2nd gig there after the bombing)
3. Alice in Chains this year in the Olympia
4. Metallica RDS 2004
5. Arcade Fire Manchester 2017.

Best day of music was Slane 03 which was also my first gig. RHCP, Foos, QOTSA, PJ Harvey, Feeder. All bands in their prime
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 6:14pm
Yeah Freddie was a sharp one alright!
Personally I like both the chilliest and nick cave so that’s ok then.
Best 5 gigs, Ian Dury twice first in the late 70s/early80s in the Olympic ballroom in Camden st then in vicar st about 2000 I think.REM at slane were ok,therapy?in Prague in an old Art Deco hotel which was also showing the 94 World Cup in a beer room, deadly.same week Vaclav Havel and his jazz combo in an old Russian nuclear bunker. Also honourable mention to the one and only Chuck Berry, onstage at the Boys of Ballisodare folk festival in Sligo many moons ago, weird but enjoyable!!
Then the big Dalymount gigs, Lizzy, Bob Marley,real good days out. f**k I’m old
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

4. Metallica RDS 2004

Best day of music was Slane 03 which was also my first gig. RHCP, Foos, QOTSA, PJ Harvey, Feeder. All bands in their prime

I'll be seeing The Foos for the first time next month and I have hight hopes. Dave Grohl can be a bit shouty as a lead singer, but if they are anything like they were at Glastonbury a couple of years ago, I'll be well happy.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

4. Metallica RDS 2004

Those Metallica gigs at the RDS were amazing m. The 2004 setlist was really diverse.
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 9:23am
Public Enemy, SFX 1995. They'd played the Trinity Ball the time previously they'd played Dublin, so were more than happy to be slumming it in the SFX with actual fans. Ended up on stage with Chuck D and Flava Flav. RIP to the SFX. Saw some great bands there over the years.

Dropkick Murphys, Slattery's, Capel St, March '99. When they used to be good, before the real diddley-eye sh*te. Their first ever Irish gig. 150 people squashed in to a venue allowed to hold 86. Support from US Bombs and a load of the cream of Irish punk at the time. It's up on YouTube somewhere now, had a vhs copy of it too.

Metallica, The Point, 1996. Back when they were just about still good, but by jaysus were they good back in the day. Opened with 'So What' by ANL. Still touring with the stage in the centre of the arena. Do they still do that now?

The Prodigy, New Year Eve 95 and December 96. Words can't do these gigs justice. Probably saw them live 10 or 12 times but these stand out for being so formative for me.

NOFX, The Olympia 2009. Seen them live a good few times, but this was the only time I saw them play The Decline. 

For some reason I have no recollection of the RATM gig in 2010, which is slightly scary.

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic