Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57101
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 5:43pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Top 5 gigs
Posted By: Paulie
Subject: Top 5 gigs
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 3:32pm
As per the thread title, what are your top 5 gigs? Much like picking your favourite songs or albums, a list like this can change depending on the day of the week, or whatever, although there will usually be certain entrants that are a constant. Anyway, in no particular order, my top 5 gigs (for today anyway) are:

Pulp at Féile 1996 – Even though it was Féile, this gig was actually played at the Point. They were touring Different Class and were really in their prime. Pretty much every song from the album got an airing so they gave the people what they wanted.

Rage Against The Machine at the Point in 2010 – I’d been waiting years to see them and they didn’t disappoint. They walked out to their traditional siren and then it was just carnage for 90 minutes.

U2 at Croker in 2017 – What a setlist. I’ve nothing more to add.

Pearl Jam at Mad Cool Festival in 2018 – This is another band that I’d wanted to see for years, and they didn’t disappoint. I travelled over on my own and friends were joining me on day two so I was free to do as I wanted without having to consider what other people thought. Fantastic! Pearl Jam were on the opening day of the festival and things had not been going well up until the evening, due to dehydration (I was standing in a queue for hours to get in, in +30 degree heat with no shade or water, so was eventually taken away in an ambulance to the medicare area behind the main stage in order to hook me up to an IV so they could get some fluids into me…….and I hadn’t even had a beer at this point!). Anyway, I got out of there about an hour before they came on stage so I got a beer and found my spot. I was still feeling a bit stressed about what happened earlier but literally about 20 seconds into the first song, “Release”, all the bullsh*t and tension from earlier went away. They were just superb.

Depeche Mode at Mad Cool Festival in 2018 – I’ve see DM countless times and they always put on a great show. This was the first time though that I’d seen them at a festival, so the setlist was adjusted to suit the audience as a lot of them would not be familiar with their album tracks. Every single song was a belter and the crowd were well up for it. As for Dave Gahan, what a front man!

An honourable mention goes to The Pogues Christmas gigs that used to be held at the Point every year. Mental, but great fun.

So, anyone care to share theirs?

Replies:
Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 3:33pm
1. Rhodri
2. Ryan
3. Their Da
4. Ryan's wife
5. Rhodri's wife

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 3:39pm
I'll have to come back to this. But worst gig, The Police, Croke Park 2007. They did not want to be there. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 3:48pm
I was at that RATM gig too, f*cking unreal. Gogol Bordello were class as the support act too.

Slipknot back in 2015 has to be the best I've been to, absolutely sensational set. Looks like they're coming back next year too, can't wait.

Queens of the Stone Age at Open'er in 2013 was up there too. Came out of it with busted ribs, but still a brilliant show.

Hard to pick which of The Prodigy gigs I was at was the best, but I'll go for 2014 in the Marquee because of MDMA.

I'll give a mention to Republic of Loose too. Saw them in Waterford City about 10 years ago, low key gig but they were some band back in the day.

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

1. Rhodri
2. Ryan
3. Their Da
4. Ryan's wife
5. Rhodri's wife

The Da is a Wilson.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 4:00pm
Hard to pick a favourite Metallica gig out of the numerous I’ve attended. Twickenham recently was amazing. Their setlist at Wembley in 2007 was near perfection. “The Big Four” show at Knebworth in 2011 was serious. And seeing them play Master of Puppets and The Black Album in their entirety was special

I was at the RATM gig in 2010. No frills, just loud and brilliant. delighted to have seen them.

Earlier this decade Anthrax and Slayer made a habit of playing the Academy which was always an absolute blast. Ditto the occasions where they played “Among The Living” and “Reign in Blood” in their entirety.

Arcade Fire were superb in the 02 in 2010, and I got the offer of
A ticket out of the blue, which I accepted.

I also saw Mudvayne in the TBMC not long after they won a VMA, which was interesting, even if I generally wouldn’t listen to them anymore.

New Order at Forbidden Fruit 2012 was excellent

Seen numerous other bands which I really enjoyed and would go to see them again.

Two concerts stick out in my mind as being poor. I saw Deftones in 2006 and found the whole experience very underwhelming. I also thought Soundgarden in 2013 in Dublin were just downright poor, and the word had been that it wasn’t much of a step up from the 1995 show at Dalymount Park. Axl Rose having a meltdown in Dublin in 2010 wasn’t great either

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Rage Against The Machine at the Point in 2010 – I’d been waiting years to see them and they didn’t disappoint. They walked out to their traditional siren and then it was just carnage for 90 minutes.

The above my favourite gig I've been to, the crowd were unreal and band were flawless as always!

Green Day at the Ambassador in 2004 was excellent, to see them in such a small venue before they exploded into the mainstream (and subsequently went sh*t) was a real treat!

Pixies in the Olympia in 2013, amazing band and again seeing them in such a small venue was superb.

ACDC in Landsdowne was a great gig in 2015, i was a lot more sober than the time they played in Punchestown in '09 so I remember a lot more of the more recent one, they put on a great show!

The best band (music and sound wise) that I have seen are Muse, their gig in 2016 with the stage in the centre was quality and it was my first and only time seeing them indoors.

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:40pm
1. U2 at Sane - my favorite album so loved the setlist (ashamed on one hand to admit that I was there when McAteer put it in the dutch net). The first one indoor at the Three a few years back was excellent too for the novelty of the big screen

2. Muse (saw them at the Three recently but their gig in Cork about 99 supporting Ash was a coming of age gig for my generation, their Oxegen show was great too)

3. Green Day American Idiot tour

For festivals, MGMT at Oxegen was emmense, tent was far too packed, people swinging from the rafters.

Then foreign wise, the year I was in Boston we got to see Stereophonics, Coldplay, Killers, Kings of Leon, Arcade fire in this very small venue.

More recently, the Foals at Olympia were very good.

My big regret is the Coldplay gig in Croker 2 years back, looked fantastic.

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:46pm
1, Leonard cohen in kilmainham, front and centre 2012...great set, great venue, great seats, never forget it.

2, pogues in brixton academy,  xmas 00 or 01, great buzz on the tube going over great night, vanished after with a norwegian lass

3, waterboys in the bord gais theatre 2012-13 i think, played two sets the first was music based on w.b yeats poetry second was the greatest hits, great band.

4, alabama 3 in mandela hall, pilled off my nut, was great.

5, justice for the 96 tour 2011 i think, got to see mick jones and paul simeonon?? Do there clash stuff,, supported by the farm, puked up outside due to too much bouncing, and pints.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:07pm
Really hard to pick. NiN last year was pretty special. It was in the Southbank Centre which is a tiny venue, it made it even better.

Seeing the Pixies in Dublin years ago was unbelievable, even if they were supporting the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the world’s blandest drug addicts.

The Flaming Lips were immense in the Marquee in Cork years back. Planning to go and see them again this year. Pills required for ‘Race for the Prize’.

Massive Attack in the same place was also special. Coming up to ‘Angel’ was a spiritual experience.

I have seen the Manics thirty odd times and never been disappointed yet! The first time was special in the Point. Especially as they were supported by the SFAs, who are another brilliant live band. It was special seeing them in Cardiff too as the crowd knew the score. Hearing ‘The Holy Bible’ live and in full was class too. Never thought I would hear ‘Intense Humming of Evil’ live. JJ72 were class when I saw them support them too, a shame they never hung about.

Everybody should see The Boss live once. A true legend. I got soaked at the RDS but was well worth it.

Plenty others worth a mention, Placebo in particular, but the best gig I was at was The Sultans and The Franks at the Savoy in Cork in 2005. The whole thing was unreal. The Barracka leading them in, the Franks doing an unreal set that was then totally blown away by The Sultans with Niall in full lunacy mode.

Completely forgot about The Prodigy at Millstreet. Mental. 

Forgot about seeing Johnny Marr in a small venue in Bath too. Surreal. An absolute genius. Came in pants at the guitar solo in ‘Getting Away With It’, came again to ‘How Soon is Now’.

No way I could pick five!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

1. U2 at Sane - my favorite album so loved the setlist (ashamed on one hand to admit that I was there when McAteer put it in the dutch net). The first one indoor at the Three a few years back was excellent too for the novelty of the big screen

2. Muse (saw them at the Three recently but their gig in Cork about 99 supporting Ash was a coming of age gig for my generation, their Oxegen show was great too)

3. Green Day American Idiot tour

For festivals, MGMT at Oxegen was emmense, tent was far too packed, people swinging from the rafters.

Then foreign wise, the year I was in Boston we got to see Stereophonics, Coldplay, Killers, Kings of Leon, Arcade fire in this very small venue.

More recently, the Foals at Olympia were very good.

My big regret is the Coldplay gig in Croker 2 years back, looked fantastic.
I am not joking or trying to be funny when I say this, but Coldplay existing is one of my biggest regrets, even if I liked the first album. They have to take a lot of blame for the blandness of music today.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Really hard to pick. NiN last year was pretty special. It was in the Southbank Centre which is a tiny venue, it made it even better.

Seeing the Pixies in Dublin years ago was unbelievable, even if they were supporting the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the world’s blandest drug addicts.

The Flaming Lips were immense in the Marquee in Cork years back. Planning to go and see them again this year. Pills required for ‘Race for the Prize’.

Massive Attack in the same place was also special. Coming up to ‘Angel’ was a spiritual experience.

I have seen the Manics thirty odd times and never been disappointed yet! The first time was special in the Point. Especially as they were supported by the SFAs, who are another brilliant live band. It was special seeing them in Cardiff too as the crowd knew the score. Hearing ‘The Holy Bible’ live and in full was class too. Never thought I would hear ‘Intense Humming of Evil’ live. JJ72 were class when I saw them support them too, a shame they never hung about.

Everybody should see The Boss live once. A true legend. I got soaked at the RDS but was well worth it.

Plenty others worth a mention, Placebo in particular, but the best gig I was at was The Sultans and The Franks at the Savoy in Cork in 2005. The whole thing was unreal. The Barracka leading them in, the Franks doing an unreal set that was then totally blown away by The Sultans with Niall in full lunacy mode.

Forgot about seeing Johnny Marr in a small venue in Bath too. Surreal. An absolute genius. Came in pants at the guitar solo in ‘Getting Away With It’, came again to ‘How Soon is Now’.

I believe the lead singer from 'Keane' holds the solo title. The coke obviously did f*ck all for him given how sh*te the music was.

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:28pm
Pearl Jam, Berlin 2008 - an outdoor gig, around 3 days after seeing them in the new Point. The atmosphere was so different. Sun belting down in a phenomenal venue. I can't remember what it was called but it was like the Colleseum! Saying that, the gig in Dublin was excellent and that was the day I decided I am sitting down where possible at any gig going forward. Far more enjoyable. 

Muse, The Point, 2007. Wonderful live. Great performers and a great show.

Manics, Ambassador, 2009. I remember this was the day before we flew out to Sofia. They are fantastic live and the atmosphere in a small venue made it even better. Bradfield's voice as good live as any recording.

Eddie Vedder, The Point, 2018. Was never a huge fan of his solo stuff but I enjoyed this show way more than I ever expected to. He had a string quartet from Holland with him and they did the most spine tingling version of Jeremy which I'll never forget. Top class. Saw him again this year, another great show but omitted a couple of classics from the set list which was disappointing.

Jerron Paxton. Saw this guy in Edinburgh last year, he was doing a few gigs and we went to one by accident. Had never heard of him but immediately after the gig went and bought tickets for the following night. Went to see him in the sugar club last month and I think it was my favourite ever performance from possibly my favourite ever performer. An absolute master of his craft and a brilliant showman as well. Plays piano, banjo, guitar, harmonica and others. Mostly blues. Can't wait to see him again and would recommend him to anybody. 

Honourable mention to Metallica who I saw in the RDS in 03 and 04 if I recall. Was great craic and my first ever concerts. No idea if they were actually really good or it's my teenage memory! But super memories all the same 

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:35pm
Springsteen at Croker ,River tour. 
Oasis in Cork 96/97
Stevie Wonder 09ish
Eagles RDS,year?
Rod Stewart,RDS year?

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

I believe the lead singer from 'Keane' holds the solo title. The coke obviously did f*ck all for him given how sh*te the music was.
Hardly an addict though, is he? Just a typical posh ****. A few lines to make the blandness bearable. Maybe a needle or two could have livened them up. Kiedis must be the only well known musician to shoot up and produce absolute dross.

-------------

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:54pm

Hardly an addict though, is he? Just a typical posh ****. A few lines to make the blandness bearable. Maybe a needle or two could have livened them up. Kiedis must be the only well known musician to shoot up and produce absolute dross.
Absolutely loath the chili peppers, i really cant stand flea, all his basslines are fundamentally the same, overblown gimp like the rest of them.

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

Absolutely loath the chili peppers, i really cant stand flea, all his basslines are fundamentally the same, overblown gimp like the rest of them.
Clap
One of the few bands that make me genuinely angry. Westlife has more talent and I’m full sure one of them was a better drummer! That lad keeps time like Southern Rail!

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 8:38pm
Used to love Blood Sugar Sex Magic

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

I still like sex, I can take or leave the rest.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 9:01pm

I still like sex, I can take or leave the rest.
LOL

-------------

Posted By: Mulvanystrasse
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 11:48pm
Simple Minds - Croke Park - 1986
The Jam - Royal Court, Liverpool - 1982
Echo and the Bunnymen, McGonagles - 1982
The Blades - Stables, Greystones - 1982
Tir na nOg - Mother Redcaps - 1991

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 3:54am
The Red Hot Chili Peppers are getting a lot of stick, and a bit unfairly so. I'm no fan, but "By The Way" is a cracking album. To be fair though, I think the reason I like the album is because it is a point of reference to a happy time in my life. That is the beauty of music. Without sounding too corny, it can take you elsewhere.

Also, the Black Keys gig at the Point was sh*te

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 9:13am
HI was being as fair as possible. I know music is subjective and there are some songs and artists that I know are talentless knobs that I enjoy because of the above reason, but this is a bridge too far.
I’ll put it this way; how many bands have heard these ****s and been inspired to try and make music? They are like the reverse Clash. Their only redeeming feature is Flea being in The Big Lebowski. Christ, even his name is f**king annoying! 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 10:29am
One of the things I always heard about the RHCP is that their live performances are inconsistent and that even die hard fans are easily able to select a best and worst gig they have attended. I have never actively considered paying to see them live, even though I wouldn’t be as critical as some here.

But I do remember that gig they played with The Pixies 15 years ago and the amount of people who attended exclusively for Pixies, and how there was a consensus amongst a large portion of the attendees that the order of the bill was reversed.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 11:14am
Tough again no particular order 

Prince - Malahide Castle - I remember being devastated when he cancelled the Croke Park gig. Was first in the queue for tickets for this and what a phenomenal gig this was. Glad to have seen him before he died. 

The cure - Hyde Park - start to finish this was epic. All I can say. 

Simon and garfunkel-rds - another act I'm glad to have seen, the ambience at it was amazing you could hear a pin drop as they captivated everyone. 

Muse-Dublin Castle - I've seen muse many times but this was the first time I seen them and one I've always remembered. 

Manics-holy bible Olympia-Another band I've seen numerous times but the Holy Bible from start to finish was just special. 

Other notable mentions, placebo have never disappointed, Strokes put on a good show

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Tough again no particular order 

Prince - Malahide Castle - I remember being devastated when he cancelled the Croke Park gig. Was first in the queue for tickets for this and what a phenomenal gig this was. Glad to have seen him before he died. 

The cure - Hyde Park - start to finish this was epic. All I can say. 

Simon and garfunkel-rds - another act I'm glad to have seen, the ambience at it was amazing you could hear a pin drop as they captivated everyone. 

Muse-Dublin Castle - I've seen muse many times but this was the first time I seen them and one I've always remembered. 

Manics-holy bible Olympia-Another band I've seen numerous times but the Holy Bible from start to finish was just special. 

Other notable mentions, placebo have never disappointed, Strokes put on a good show

You have a couple of beauts in there. I'll always regret never seeing Prince live and that Cure gig at Hyde Park was supposed to be special alright.

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 12:45pm

HI was being as fair as possible. I know music is subjective and there are some songs and artists that I know are talentless knobs that I enjoy because of the above reason, but this is a bridge too far.
I’ll put it this way; how many bands have heard these ****s and been inspired to try and make music? They are like the reverse Clash. Their only redeeming feature is Flea being in The Big Lebowski. Christ, even his name is f**king annoying! 

Considering 95% of their songs are about California, surely they inspired somebody there to play!

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 3:12pm

Considering 95% of their songs are about California, surely they inspired somebody there to move!
Fixed.

Joking aside, you can judge how good they are musically by how other musicians view them. I am sure you can find a link to someone, somewhere admiring them, but must of the comments I have read from talented musicians seem to suggest that Nick Cave's view dominates.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 3:33pm

Considering 95% of their songs are about California, surely they inspired somebody there to move!

Fixed.

Joking aside, you can judge how good they are musically by how other musicians view them. I am sure you can find a link to someone, somewhere admiring them, but must of the comments I have read from talented musicians seem to suggest that Nick Cave's view dominates.

I had to check up the Nick Cave quote as I hadn't heard it before. Funny.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 4:02pm

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are getting a lot of stick, and a bit unfairly so. I'm no fan, but "By The Way" is a cracking album. To be fair though, I think the reason I like the album is because it is a point of reference to a happy time in my life. That is the beauty of music. Without sounding too corny, it can take you elsewhere.

Also, the Black Keys gig at the Point was sh*te

I was a big fan of them when I was 14/15 but I don't think their music has aged well. Kiedis' book is worth a read though.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 4:55pm
The Nick Cave insult is pretty funny.

Looking it up actually got me reading about Freddie Mercury, whose wit was amazing and cutting!

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 6:06pm
1. RATM at the point 2010
2. Nick Cave Manchester Arena 2017 (2nd gig there after the bombing)
3. Alice in Chains this year in the Olympia
4. Metallica RDS 2004
5. Arcade Fire Manchester 2017.

Best day of music was Slane 03 which was also my first gig. RHCP, Foos, QOTSA, PJ Harvey, Feeder. All bands in their prime

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 6:14pm
Yeah Freddie was a sharp one alright!
Personally I like both the chilliest and nick cave so that’s ok then.
Best 5 gigs, Ian Dury twice first in the late 70s/early80s in the Olympic ballroom in Camden st then in vicar st about 2000 I think.REM at slane were ok,therapy?in Prague in an old Art Deco hotel which was also showing the 94 World Cup in a beer room, deadly.same week Vaclav Havel and his jazz combo in an old Russian nuclear bunker. Also honourable mention to the one and only Chuck Berry, onstage at the Boys of Ballisodare folk festival in Sligo many moons ago, weird but enjoyable!!
Then the big Dalymount gigs, Lizzy, Bob Marley,real good days out. f**k I’m old

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

4. Metallica RDS 2004

Best day of music was Slane 03 which was also my first gig. RHCP, Foos, QOTSA, PJ Harvey, Feeder. All bands in their prime

I'll be seeing The Foos for the first time next month and I have hight hopes. Dave Grohl can be a bit shouty as a lead singer, but if they are anything like they were at Glastonbury a couple of years ago, I'll be well happy.

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

4. Metallica RDS 2004

Those Metallica gigs at the RDS were amazing m. The 2004 setlist was really diverse.

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 9:23am
Public Enemy, SFX 1995. They'd played the Trinity Ball the time previously they'd played Dublin, so were more than happy to be slumming it in the SFX with actual fans. Ended up on stage with Chuck D and Flava Flav. RIP to the SFX. Saw some great bands there over the years.

Dropkick Murphys, Slattery's, Capel St, March '99. When they used to be good, before the real diddley-eye sh*te. Their first ever Irish gig. 150 people squashed in to a venue allowed to hold 86. Support from US Bombs and a load of the cream of Irish punk at the time. It's up on YouTube somewhere now, had a vhs copy of it too.

Metallica, The Point, 1996. Back when they were just about still good, but by jaysus were they good back in the day. Opened with 'So What' by ANL. Still touring with the stage in the centre of the arena. Do they still do that now?

The Prodigy, New Year Eve 95 and December 96. Words can't do these gigs justice. Probably saw them live 10 or 12 times but these stand out for being so formative for me.

NOFX, The Olympia 2009. Seen them live a good few times, but this was the only time I saw them play The Decline. 

For some reason I have no recollection of the RATM gig in 2010, which is slightly scary.

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 9:25am
That NYE Prodigy gig was legendary. 

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 10:07am
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Public Enemy, SFX 1995. They'd played the Trinity Ball the time previously they'd played Dublin, so were more than happy to be slumming it in the SFX with actual fans. Ended up on stage with Chuck D and Flava Flav. RIP to the SFX. Saw some great bands there over the years.

Dropkick Murphys, Slattery's, Capel St, March '99. When they used to be good, before the real diddley-eye sh*te. Their first ever Irish gig. 150 people squashed in to a venue allowed to hold 86. Support from US Bombs and a load of the cream of Irish punk at the time. It's up on YouTube somewhere now, had a vhs copy of it too.

Metallica, The Point, 1996. Back when they were just about still good, but by jaysus were they good back in the day. Opened with 'So What' by ANL. Still touring with the stage in the centre of the arena. Do they still do that now?

The Prodigy, New Year Eve 95 and December 96. Words can't do these gigs justice. Probably saw them live 10 or 12 times but these stand out for being so formative for me.

NOFX, The Olympia 2009. Seen them live a good few times, but this was the only time I saw them play The Decline. 

For some reason I have no recollection of the RATM gig in 2010, which is slightly scary.

Metallica had the stage in the middle for the indoor part of the current tour alright

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 10:10am
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Some serious ones there H2H!

Metallica have continued with the “in the round”, but after The Point was redeveloped the consensus was it wasn’t suitable for the “in the round” model. I actually feel the Marquee in Cork could accommodate it, but either way, Metallica just played outdoor gigs in Ireland. The did play Belfast in the round in 2010. I’ve seen them indoors several times and it is breathtaking.

Interesting fact I recently learned about the 96 gig, which I think was the same night we beat Macedonia 3-0, Metallica were due to play successive nights at the point, but for some reason, the second was cancelled. I have seen an official shirt from the tour which confirmed the initial intent to have two dates.

Posted By: cullenswood
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 10:26am
I remember seeing RATM down in Feile in Tipp in 1994.   Had never heard of them but went out and bought their album when I got home.  
Saw the Prodigy down there too.   Was only getting into dance music at the time, but none of my mates were in it.   It was my first time seeing them, and I remember sitting in the stands and my mates sl*gging off "that sh1te techno stuff" and me sitting back in amazement thinking to myself THEY ARE CLASS!

Next time I saw them was down in Cork ahead of Oasis.

Posted By: BohsinMunich
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 2:46pm
Thin Lizzy : RDS : 1980.. year of Leaving Cert, when the traffic lights at the side of the stage went to Orange i lost the classmates I went with. Support by The Lookalikes who we used to go see regularly in the Crofton.

Stiff Little Fingers : Brixton early 90s... always put on a great show.

The Pogues : 1987/8ish  : Brixton i think it might even have been Paddy's Day . The place was mobbed . Met by a load of mounted police when the gig finished. Not a popular time for the Irish in England.

Imelda May : 59:1 (small club in Munich) 2011. They were flying back to play for Obama the next day. The place was rammed. They were great.

Sharon Jones & The Dapkings : 2016 : Muffathalle (I think) in Munich. Her last gig here . She was in recovery at the time from cancer treatment. . She gave it all. From the first time seeing her back in 2007 she was a great show.

Can't believe I omitted such as The Blades, The Undertones, The Clash , Bob Marley (see oldbilly you are not the only auld lad)

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 2:07am
I was at the Foo Fighters tonight. Absolutely brilliant gig. Definitely a contender for my top 5.

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 9:04am
When I saw this thread had a new post this morning I guessed it'd be about the Foos. I was there last night too, definitely top 5. Fantastic setlist and lead singer. Proper Rock 'n Roll. 2.5 hours in the weather seemed almost suited to it.

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 11:27am
I am sure that they are excellent live, there music is exceptional bland though. Maybe they have just never grabbed me, but it is all quite vapid.
Hard to dislike Grohl though.

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 12:06pm
Prince in London in 2007 as part of his 21 night residency.  Saw the first night.  Amazing.   His gig in Malahide was brilliant as was his gig in rds back in 1992.  

U2 in the RDS in 1993 as part of the Zoo TV tour.  U2 at their peak.  

Rage against The Machine at Feile in 1994.  Didnt know who they were and ray Darcy introduced them. To overcome both issues is some achievement.  

Bjork at same Feile.  Brilliant set and performance at the peak of her powers

Christy Moore in the Temple Bar Music Centre not sure of the year.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 12:19pm
Foals at EP 09

Nothing compares The Flaming Lips live for me, brilliant every time I've seen them.

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 1:04pm
Not a big fan or anything, but the Foo Fighters were tremendous last night

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 1:47pm

I am sure that they are excellent live, there music is exceptional bland though. Maybe they have just never grabbed me, but it is all quite vapid.

*their

Posted By: LO SCIENZIATO
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 1:58pm

*their

oooooohhhhhhhh Ouch

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 2:03pm
The opening post got me thinking which would be worse at a gig. 

Paulie in front of you
Aido beside you or

Murph behind you. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 2:05pm

*their
Thanks.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

The opening post got me thinking which would be worse at a gig. 

Paulie in front of you
Aido beside you or

Murph behind you. 

It's funny, even at packed gigs like last night, there's always a couple of feet of space behind me.

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 3:33pm
Grohl isn't a natural songwriter. He's a very good musician who by necessity taught himself to be a very competent songwriter. He's made a very good job of it in fairness to him, but was never going to get beyond that up to the highest level of creativity.

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 3:50pm
jeff buckley 1991 dublin ,
 rolling stones and acdc together 2000 hockenheim , 
rage against the machine and cypress hill ,feile 97 i think 
 iggy pop , holland in about 2007 
 tenacious D hockenheim again 2013
Paul simon graceland tour in Hyde park 
Bruce springsteen in hyde park when paul mccartney came in and they pulled the plug 

honorable mentions would go to about 100 other gigs but these stand out 

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 4:14pm

Paulie in front of you
Aido beside you  
Murph behind you. 

sounds like your ideal sandwich baldrick 

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 4:37pm

*their
Thanks.

Your welcome.

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 5:48pm

*their
Thanks.

Your welcome.
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Paulie in front of you
Aido beside you  
Murph behind you. 

sounds like your ideal sandwich baldrick 

The pillow talk would last longer than the foreplay with Aido about 😀

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: ChesterCopperpot
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 1:11pm
After being at the Foo Fighters on Wednesday who were excellent, was at Post Malone last night who was utter muck

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

After being at the Foo Fighters on Wednesday who were excellent, was at Post Malone last night who was utter muck
Surprised at that.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 1:58pm

Surprised at that.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 2:14pm

While I had heard of Post Malone, I had never heard any of his music, so upon reading your message I thought I'd give him a shot. I asked one of the younger folk in work to recommend a song, and one of them warily responded with "Superstar". To be fair, I lasted as far as the first line, which is more than it deserved. On an unrelated matter the person that made the recommendation is now dead. Sometimes things just work out for the best.

Posted By: eboue16
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 5:31pm
nice bit of scrapping at post Malone and all. 

-------------
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Foals at EP 09

Nothing compares The Flaming Lips live for me, brilliant every time I've seen them.
Just booked tickets to see them again in a few weeks. It has been too long since I have seen Wayne Coyne come out of a spaceship!

-------------

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 12:39pm

While I had heard of Post Malone, I had never heard any of his music, so upon reading your message I thought I'd give him a shot. I asked one of the younger folk in work to recommend a song, and one of them warily responded with "Superstar". To be fair, I lasted as far as the first line, which is more than it deserved. On an unrelated matter the person that made the recommendation is now dead. Sometimes things just work out for the best.

Jaysis

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 12:12pm

Foals at EP 09

Just booked tickets to see them again in a few weeks. It has been too long since I have seen Wayne Coyne come out of a spaceship!
Absolutely brilliant again last night and completely and utterly bonkers. Wayne Coyne riding around Brixton Academy on a unicorn.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 8:27pm
Was at Liam Gallagher last night. Focking awesomeClap

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 10:41am
Was there Saturday night.    He was class.    The voice held up much better than I had thought, plenty of oasis tunes, and I really enjoy his own stuff too.

The amount of pints being thrown was crazy....we were towards the back and stayed dry but can't see how too many people up the front could have.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 10:45am

Foals at EP 09

Absolutely brilliant again last night and completely and utterly bonkers. Wayne Coyne riding around Brixton Academy on a unicorn.
Just announced for Galway in July Big smileBig smile

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 10:46am
Saw his Glastonbury set on TV - looked very good. Lots of alternative Oasis songs - Columbia, Acquiesce

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 11:14am

Foals at EP 09

Class. Hopefully they do a few shows in England too. I think they are playing in Derbyshire in May or June.

-------------

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 12:54pm

Foals at EP 09

Thumbs Up

Tickets go on sale this Friday

Posted By: eboue16
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 7:30pm

Was at Liam Gallagher last night. Focking awesomeClap

Immense. 

-------------
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 9:30am
Pael Heaton boxed off for Good Friday next year...Thumbs Up

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 10:35am
In Galway on the Thursday too.. delighted Big smile

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 11:13am
I am confident enough to predict that Idles Saturday week will be close enough  to the list.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 12:33pm

I am confident enough to predict that Idles Saturday week will be close enough  to the list.

Unreal band, had tickets for their gig in Iveagh Gardens in the summer but had to sell them Cry

Managed to get a ticket for Fontaines DC in Vicar St Saturday week, can't wait Clap 

-------------

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Unreal band, had tickets for their gig in Iveagh Gardens in the summer but had to sell them Cry

Managed to get a ticket for Fontaines DC in Vicar St Saturday week, can't wait Clap 

Managed to catch them 3 times over the weekend at Glastonbury - Were excellent. 

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 1:35pm

Saw Fontaines in August at a one day festival, looking forward to seeing them properly in February.

-------------

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 2:32pm

Saw Fontaines in August at a one day festival, looking forward to seeing them properly in February.

Saw idles in iveagh during the summer sober, that will never happen again. Unreal gig and definitely one of the best, great venue. Seeing Joe Talbot V ASIWYFA DJ set in belfast in 2 weeks. Fontaines next summer back in iveagh should be deadly.

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Same as. Never seen him

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 10:39pm

Just can't get into them. His voice grates on me

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 2:49am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

I'll be there

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 2:52am

Great live band. Fingers crossed they'll be back to Primavera next year.

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 3:05am
The Point seems like a very big venue for Paul Heaton. The gig at Trinity College was sold out, or thereabouts, but that's about 5,000 people.

Even a reduced capacity Point Depot holds about 8,000. That's even before we look at the people from outside of Dublin who will go to the gigs in other counties.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 8:33am
Only January but The Murder Capital last night here in a small club in Munich will be hard to beat in 2020. 
Excellent.
Attitude 
Tunes
Go see them

The support act Junior Brother didn't do it for me even with my love of Bonnie Prince Billy / Bob Dylan singing 🎼

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 8:23pm

The Point seems like a very big venue for Paul Heaton. The gig at Trinity College was sold out, or thereabouts, but that's about 5,000 people.

Even a reduced capacity Point Depot holds about 8,000. That's even before we look at the people from outside of Dublin who will go to the gigs in other counties.
Have tickets for Heaton and Abbott in the point but now they are playing in Ballybofey earlier in the week! Random one! I'm home anyway so will try get tickets

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 12:25pm
Looking for 2 tickets to Paul Heaton in Galway in April if anyone around these parts happen to hear of any spares.. Sickened I didn't get them when they first came out.

Posted By: RoyD
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 10:59pm
2 great gigs that spring to mind were in the big top in the Phoenix park, when they were doing up the point. Acrade fire and Ian Brown. Other than those gigs, the boss man in Nowlan park.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 9:35am
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

Only January but The Murder Capital last night here in a small club in Munich will be hard to beat in 2020. 
Excellent.
Attitude 
Tunes
Go see them

The support act Junior Brother didn't do it for me even with my love of Bonnie Prince Billy / Bob Dylan singing 🎼

Picked up tickets for their gig in Vicar St on Feb 27th last week, can't freakin wait Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 10:02am
BP
If you are not into moshing and being covered in beer best to avoid being upfront Big smile

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

BP
If you are not into moshing and being covered in beer best to avoid being upfront Big smile

Is there any other way to attend a gig? Wink

At Fontaines DC in December a few songs in and I was in the pit, great craic Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 1:59pm
I'll be seeing them in June. Great to have a couple of young Dublin bands making waves.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by RoyD RoyD wrote:

2 great gigs that spring to mind were in the big top in the Phoenix park, when they were doing up the point. Acrade fire and Ian Brown. Other than those gigs, the boss man in Nowlan park.

Saw Arcade Fire here, it was indeed class

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 10:53pm
rage against the machine at electric f**king picnic. What a f**king waste. f**king noodle eating craft beer drinking fancy f**king welly boot wearing daisy chain in my hair wearing f**kers who dont go to gigs unless its f**king kodalien or ed f**king Sheeran wont have a bean what's going on. What a f**king waste!!!!! 

Posted By: dundon13
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

rage against the machine at electric f**king picnic. What a f**king waste. f**king noodle eating craft beer drinking fancy f**king welly boot wearing daisy chain in my hair wearing f**kers wint have a bean what's going on. What a f**king waste!!!!!

+10000000000

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

rage against the machine at electric f**king picnic. What a f**king waste. f**king noodle eating craft beer drinking fancy f**king welly boot wearing daisy chain in my hair wearing f**kers who dont go to gigs unless its f**king kodalien or ed f**king Sheeran wont have a bean what's going on. What a f**king waste!!!!! 
I like you, we should be friends.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 11:38pm
f**k it anyway.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 11:44pm
Ah jesus, what a f*cking anticlimax

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 12:01am

Ah jesus, what a f*cking anticlimax
Poland or a f**king festival! Left wing ****s! 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net