You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 5 gigs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 5 gigs
    Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 3:32pm
As per the thread title, what are your top 5 gigs? Much like picking your favourite songs or albums, a list like this can change depending on the day of the week, or whatever, although there will usually be certain entrants that are a constant. Anyway, in no particular order, my top 5 gigs (for today anyway) are:

Pulp at Féile 1996 – Even though it was Féile, this gig was actually played at the Point. They were touring Different Class and were really in their prime. Pretty much every song from the album got an airing so they gave the people what they wanted.

Rage Against The Machine at the Point in 2010 – I’d been waiting years to see them and they didn’t disappoint. They walked out to their traditional siren and then it was just carnage for 90 minutes.

U2 at Croker in 2017 – What a setlist. I’ve nothing more to add.

Pearl Jam at Mad Cool Festival in 2018 – This is another band that I’d wanted to see for years, and they didn’t disappoint. I travelled over on my own and friends were joining me on day two so I was free to do as I wanted without having to consider what other people thought. Fantastic! Pearl Jam were on the opening day of the festival and things had not been going well up until the evening, due to dehydration (I was standing in a queue for hours to get in, in +30 degree heat with no shade or water, so was eventually taken away in an ambulance to the medicare area behind the main stage in order to hook me up to an IV so they could get some fluids into me…….and I hadn’t even had a beer at this point!). Anyway, I got out of there about an hour before they came on stage so I got a beer and found my spot. I was still feeling a bit stressed about what happened earlier but literally about 20 seconds into the first song, “Release”, all the bullsh*t and tension from earlier went away. They were just superb.

Depeche Mode at Mad Cool Festival in 2018 – I’ve see DM countless times and they always put on a great show. This was the first time though that I’d seen them at a festival, so the setlist was adjusted to suit the audience as a lot of them would not be familiar with their album tracks. Every single song was a belter and the crowd were well up for it. As for Dave Gahan, what a front man!

An honourable mention goes to The Pogues Christmas gigs that used to be held at the Point every year. Mental, but great fun.

So, anyone care to share theirs?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 3:33pm
1. Rhodri
2. Ryan
3. Their Da
4. Ryan's wife
5. Rhodri's wife
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 3:39pm
I'll have to come back to this. But worst gig, The Police, Croke Park 2007. They did not want to be there. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 3:48pm
I was at that RATM gig too, f*cking unreal. Gogol Bordello were class as the support act too.

Slipknot back in 2015 has to be the best I've been to, absolutely sensational set. Looks like they're coming back next year too, can't wait.

Queens of the Stone Age at Open'er in 2013 was up there too. Came out of it with busted ribs, but still a brilliant show.

Hard to pick which of The Prodigy gigs I was at was the best, but I'll go for 2014 in the Marquee because of MDMA.

I'll give a mention to Republic of Loose too. Saw them in Waterford City about 10 years ago, low key gig but they were some band back in the day.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

1. Rhodri
2. Ryan
3. Their Da
4. Ryan's wife
5. Rhodri's wife

The Da is a Wilson.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 4:00pm
Hard to pick a favourite Metallica gig out of the numerous I’ve attended. Twickenham recently was amazing. Their setlist at Wembley in 2007 was near perfection. “The Big Four” show at Knebworth in 2011 was serious. And seeing them play Master of Puppets and The Black Album in their entirety was special

I was at the RATM gig in 2010. No frills, just loud and brilliant. delighted to have seen them.

Earlier this decade Anthrax and Slayer made a habit of playing the Academy which was always an absolute blast. Ditto the occasions where they played “Among The Living” and “Reign in Blood” in their entirety.

Arcade Fire were superb in the 02 in 2010, and I got the offer of
A ticket out of the blue, which I accepted.

I also saw Mudvayne in the TBMC not long after they won a VMA, which was interesting, even if I generally wouldn’t listen to them anymore.

New Order at Forbidden Fruit 2012 was excellent

Seen numerous other bands which I really enjoyed and would go to see them again.

Two concerts stick out in my mind as being poor. I saw Deftones in 2006 and found the whole experience very underwhelming. I also thought Soundgarden in 2013 in Dublin were just downright poor, and the word had been that it wasn’t much of a step up from the 1995 show at Dalymount Park. Axl Rose having a meltdown in Dublin in 2010 wasn’t great either
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Rage Against The Machine at the Point in 2010 – I’d been waiting years to see them and they didn’t disappoint. They walked out to their traditional siren and then it was just carnage for 90 minutes.

The above my favourite gig I've been to, the crowd were unreal and band were flawless as always!

Green Day at the Ambassador in 2004 was excellent, to see them in such a small venue before they exploded into the mainstream (and subsequently went sh*t) was a real treat!

Pixies in the Olympia in 2013, amazing band and again seeing them in such a small venue was superb.

ACDC in Landsdowne was a great gig in 2015, i was a lot more sober than the time they played in Punchestown in '09 so I remember a lot more of the more recent one, they put on a great show!

The best band (music and sound wise) that I have seen are Muse, their gig in 2016 with the stage in the centre was quality and it was my first and only time seeing them indoors.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:40pm
1. U2 at Sane - my favorite album so loved the setlist (ashamed on one hand to admit that I was there when McAteer put it in the dutch net). The first one indoor at the Three a few years back was excellent too for the novelty of the big screen

2. Muse (saw them at the Three recently but their gig in Cork about 99 supporting Ash was a coming of age gig for my generation, their Oxegen show was great too)

3. Green Day American Idiot tour

For festivals, MGMT at Oxegen was emmense, tent was far too packed, people swinging from the rafters.

Then foreign wise, the year I was in Boston we got to see Stereophonics, Coldplay, Killers, Kings of Leon, Arcade fire in this very small venue.

More recently, the Foals at Olympia were very good.

My big regret is the Coldplay gig in Croker 2 years back, looked fantastic.

Edited by Shedite - 19 Jul 2019 at 5:42pm
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:46pm
1, Leonard cohen in kilmainham, front and centre 2012...great set, great venue, great seats, never forget it.

2, pogues in brixton academy,  xmas 00 or 01, great buzz on the tube going over great night, vanished after with a norwegian lass

3, waterboys in the bord gais theatre 2012-13 i think, played two sets the first was music based on w.b yeats poetry second was the greatest hits, great band.

4, alabama 3 in mandela hall, pilled off my nut, was great.

5, justice for the 96 tour 2011 i think, got to see mick jones and paul simeonon?? Do there clash stuff,, supported by the farm, puked up outside due to too much bouncing, and pints.

Edited by armahibee - 19 Jul 2019 at 6:48pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:07pm
Really hard to pick. NiN last year was pretty special. It was in the Southbank Centre which is a tiny venue, it made it even better.

Seeing the Pixies in Dublin years ago was unbelievable, even if they were supporting the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the world’s blandest drug addicts.

The Flaming Lips were immense in the Marquee in Cork years back. Planning to go and see them again this year. Pills required for ‘Race for the Prize’.

Massive Attack in the same place was also special. Coming up to ‘Angel’ was a spiritual experience.

I have seen the Manics thirty odd times and never been disappointed yet! The first time was special in the Point. Especially as they were supported by the SFAs, who are another brilliant live band. It was special seeing them in Cardiff too as the crowd knew the score. Hearing ‘The Holy Bible’ live and in full was class too. Never thought I would hear ‘Intense Humming of Evil’ live. JJ72 were class when I saw them support them too, a shame they never hung about.

Everybody should see The Boss live once. A true legend. I got soaked at the RDS but was well worth it.

Plenty others worth a mention, Placebo in particular, but the best gig I was at was The Sultans and The Franks at the Savoy in Cork in 2005. The whole thing was unreal. The Barracka leading them in, the Franks doing an unreal set that was then totally blown away by The Sultans with Niall in full lunacy mode.

Completely forgot about The Prodigy at Millstreet. Mental. 

Forgot about seeing Johnny Marr in a small venue in Bath too. Surreal. An absolute genius. Came in pants at the guitar solo in ‘Getting Away With It’, came again to ‘How Soon is Now’.

No way I could pick five!

Edited by pre Madonna - 19 Jul 2019 at 7:21pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

1. U2 at Sane - my favorite album so loved the setlist (ashamed on one hand to admit that I was there when McAteer put it in the dutch net). The first one indoor at the Three a few years back was excellent too for the novelty of the big screen

2. Muse (saw them at the Three recently but their gig in Cork about 99 supporting Ash was a coming of age gig for my generation, their Oxegen show was great too)

3. Green Day American Idiot tour

For festivals, MGMT at Oxegen was emmense, tent was far too packed, people swinging from the rafters.

Then foreign wise, the year I was in Boston we got to see Stereophonics, Coldplay, Killers, Kings of Leon, Arcade fire in this very small venue.

More recently, the Foals at Olympia were very good.

My big regret is the Coldplay gig in Croker 2 years back, looked fantastic.
I am not joking or trying to be funny when I say this, but Coldplay existing is one of my biggest regrets, even if I liked the first album. They have to take a lot of blame for the blandness of music today.
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Really hard to pick. NiN last year was pretty special. It was in the Southbank Centre which is a tiny venue, it made it even better.

Seeing the Pixies in Dublin years ago was unbelievable, even if they were supporting the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the world’s blandest drug addicts.

The Flaming Lips were immense in the Marquee in Cork years back. Planning to go and see them again this year. Pills required for ‘Race for the Prize’.

Massive Attack in the same place was also special. Coming up to ‘Angel’ was a spiritual experience.

I have seen the Manics thirty odd times and never been disappointed yet! The first time was special in the Point. Especially as they were supported by the SFAs, who are another brilliant live band. It was special seeing them in Cardiff too as the crowd knew the score. Hearing ‘The Holy Bible’ live and in full was class too. Never thought I would hear ‘Intense Humming of Evil’ live. JJ72 were class when I saw them support them too, a shame they never hung about.

Everybody should see The Boss live once. A true legend. I got soaked at the RDS but was well worth it.

Plenty others worth a mention, Placebo in particular, but the best gig I was at was The Sultans and The Franks at the Savoy in Cork in 2005. The whole thing was unreal. The Barracka leading them in, the Franks doing an unreal set that was then totally blown away by The Sultans with Niall in full lunacy mode.

Forgot about seeing Johnny Marr in a small venue in Bath too. Surreal. An absolute genius. Came in pants at the guitar solo in ‘Getting Away With It’, came again to ‘How Soon is Now’.

I believe the lead singer from 'Keane' holds the solo title. The coke obviously did f*ck all for him given how sh*te the music was.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:28pm
Pearl Jam, Berlin 2008 - an outdoor gig, around 3 days after seeing them in the new Point. The atmosphere was so different. Sun belting down in a phenomenal venue. I can't remember what it was called but it was like the Colleseum! Saying that, the gig in Dublin was excellent and that was the day I decided I am sitting down where possible at any gig going forward. Far more enjoyable. 

Muse, The Point, 2007. Wonderful live. Great performers and a great show.

Manics, Ambassador, 2009. I remember this was the day before we flew out to Sofia. They are fantastic live and the atmosphere in a small venue made it even better. Bradfield's voice as good live as any recording.

Eddie Vedder, The Point, 2018. Was never a huge fan of his solo stuff but I enjoyed this show way more than I ever expected to. He had a string quartet from Holland with him and they did the most spine tingling version of Jeremy which I'll never forget. Top class. Saw him again this year, another great show but omitted a couple of classics from the set list which was disappointing.

Jerron Paxton. Saw this guy in Edinburgh last year, he was doing a few gigs and we went to one by accident. Had never heard of him but immediately after the gig went and bought tickets for the following night. Went to see him in the sugar club last month and I think it was my favourite ever performance from possibly my favourite ever performer. An absolute master of his craft and a brilliant showman as well. Plays piano, banjo, guitar, harmonica and others. Mostly blues. Can't wait to see him again and would recommend him to anybody. 

Honourable mention to Metallica who I saw in the RDS in 03 and 04 if I recall. Was great craic and my first ever concerts. No idea if they were actually really good or it's my teenage memory! But super memories all the same 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:35pm
Springsteen at Croker ,River tour. 
Oasis in Cork 96/97
Stevie Wonder 09ish
Eagles RDS,year?
Rod Stewart,RDS year?
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

I believe the lead singer from 'Keane' holds the solo title. The coke obviously did f*ck all for him given how sh*te the music was.
Hardly an addict though, is he? Just a typical posh ****. A few lines to make the blandness bearable. Maybe a needle or two could have livened them up. Kiedis must be the only well known musician to shoot up and produce absolute dross.
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:54pm

Hardly an addict though, is he? Just a typical posh ****. A few lines to make the blandness bearable. Maybe a needle or two could have livened them up. Kiedis must be the only well known musician to shoot up and produce absolute dross.
Absolutely loath the chili peppers, i really cant stand flea, all his basslines are fundamentally the same, overblown gimp like the rest of them.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

Absolutely loath the chili peppers, i really cant stand flea, all his basslines are fundamentally the same, overblown gimp like the rest of them.
Clap
One of the few bands that make me genuinely angry. Westlife has more talent and I’m full sure one of them was a better drummer! That lad keeps time like Southern Rail!
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 8:38pm
Used to love Blood Sugar Sex Magic
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic