You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The YBIG DIY Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Dont talk to me about f**king toilets, the pipe got a clog the other day out at the shore and had everything backing up from the jax, washing machine, dishwasher, sink and showers. The absolute f**king stench of it, was out prodding it with hangers and hoses in the baltic cold in just a t-shirt for half an hour trying to get the thing moving along while also bursting for a sh*te. In the end I just had to raw dog it, cocktail of sh*te up to me shoulders, face millimeters from the surface retching the whole time as I scoped it into a bucket. No idea how anyone could do that for a living. Got it sorted though and had both one of best sh*tes and showers in my life afterwards.

Do you not mean Prarie Dogging it LOL

Raw dog is a completely different euphamisim 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 02 Dec 2023 at 7:10pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 9:35pm

Dont talk to me about f**king toilets, the pipe got a clog the other day out at the shore and had everything backing up from the jax, washing machine, dishwasher, sink and showers. The absolute f**king stench of it, was out prodding it with hangers and hoses in the baltic cold in just a t-shirt for half an hour trying to get the thing moving along while also bursting for a sh*te. In the end I just had to raw dog it, cocktail of sh*te up to me shoulders, face millimeters from the surface retching the whole time as I scoped it into a bucket. No idea how anyone could do that for a living. Got it sorted though and had both one of best sh*tes and showers in my life afterwards.

sh*tting in the shower is what probably got you into that mess.
The dark side.. And the light
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2023 at 9:45am

Happens once every 12/18 months in my gaff, seemingly the FALL the drop the builder put the drain for the downstairs Jack not steep enough, also never ever flush baby wipes

Normally Ill spend the doh on the tool to do a job myself, but this one is a one I leave to the pros, Got the lads private number now and get him out for cash.
Getting old and intolerant
Patman Scoop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman Scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2023 at 12:04pm
Worth checking your home insurance policy too , I'm with Zurich and had a blocked pipe a couple of months back , it's covered under their emergency call outs , plumber out that same day , blockage sorted and he replaced a part in the toilet , didn't cost me a penny and it's not considered a claim against the policy 
Why no wine??!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Paid €25 per square metre for spray on icynene in the attic of my house at roof level this year. That's a full fill for 4 inch joists. Makes some difference, expands to fill the space, really clean, no vent card needed as it is breathable and is certified to current building regs. Icynene is the market leading product for spray insulation. 

The One down side is that the finish isn't totally flush like boards but it's a superior product and no cutting or mess. 

Who did this for you?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 4:49pm
Quick one folks 

Quote of €5.2k for seven windows full glass replacement (supply and fit) with uvalue 1.0 in typical three bed semi. Windows about 10% larger than average.

Keeping existing uPVC frames that are only 20mm thick.  They can't take triple glaze units.

Budget won stretch to replace units fully. Two windows are already fogged so need to be done.

Prominent reputable company with 10 year guarantee.

Same company looking at 13k to replace frames and windows 

€5200 Seems ok to me?
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Paid €25 per square metre for spray on icynene in the attic of my house at roof level this year. That's a full fill for 4 inch joists. Makes some difference, expands to fill the space, really clean, no vent card needed as it is breathable and is certified to current building regs. Icynene is the market leading product for spray insulation. 

The One down side is that the finish isn't totally flush like boards but it's a superior product and no cutting or mess. 

Who did this for you?

Was weather shield hb
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 4:57pm

Quick one folks 

Quote of €5.2k for seven windows full glass replacement (supply and fit) with uvalue 1.0 in typical three bed semi. Windows about 10% larger than average.

Keeping existing uPVC frames that are only 20mm thick.  They can't take triple glaze units.

Budget won stretch to replace units fully. Two windows are already fogged so need to be done.

€5200 Seems ok to me?
Assume you got a few quotes Tom? Are the frames in good nick and sealed properly also? Could prove to be a false economy of sorts to replace the glass if the frames aren’t sealed properly to the blockwork.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Quick one folks 

€5200 Seems ok to me?
Assume you got a few quotes Tom? Are the frames in good nick and sealed properly also? Could prove to be a false economy of sorts to replace the glass if the frames aren’t sealed properly to the blockwork.

1st quote but have done homework on the product (pilkington branded) and this is the best I can get into existing frames. I also want a reputable large provider and not a favour/nicer to rely on a long guarantee

Will have the outer seals checked during survey to be sure. Good tip.

Well try a few others for peace of mind but if anyone has a sense check I'd be grateful.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Quick one folks 

€5200 Seems ok to me?

This. 100%.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 5:29pm
And to add, you’d be amazed the difference new window boards make also. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 5:32pm
How much ballpark to get new double glazing for a 4 bed semi?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

How much ballpark to get new double glazing for a 4 bed semi?

These guys quoted €13k for new triple glazing and frames for a 3 bed (7 windows). Dublin pricing.

.8 uvalue. 

Not including doors.

Paid €2600 about 3 years ago for a large Palladio door with two side lights.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 6:56pm
They avin a fackin giraffe or wot!?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 8:50pm

Who did this for you?

Was weather shield hb

Was it worth it?

I have major insulation issues in my house (mainly at the front of the house) as it's about 20 years old and the builders took every shortcut in the book no doubt.

Am half thinking about the external insulation but not 100% convinced it's worth the money.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 9:28pm
Double glazing more than enough spec for the gig Tom Thumbs Up
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 9:30pm

Who did this for you?

Was weather shield hb

Was it worth it?

I have major insulation issues in my house (mainly at the front of the house) as it's about 20 years old and the builders took every shortcut in the book no doubt.

Am half thinking about the external insulation but not 100% convinced it's worth the money.

Slab the inside of it HB. Fraction of the cost.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 3:42pm

Quick one folks 

€5200 Seems ok to me?

Anyone got thoughts on the price quoted for this? Is it ok or off the wall?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
  Share Topic