You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Toon Army

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 252253254255256 267>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 8:14pm
6 points from safety and, in terms of the other teams in the relegation zone, Norwich are resurgent under a new manager while Burnley have been decent and have a game in hand.

Baffling how Hendrick can't get game time, even off the bench.

Do they watch their players while they're on international duty or what?
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

6 points from safety and, in terms of the other teams in the relegation zone, Norwich are resurgent under a new manager while Burnley have been decent and have a game in hand.

Since football began way back in 1992, until this season, four teams failed to record a win in their first 12 games.

Of these only one, Derby County in 2000/01, managed to avoid relegation, getting their first win in their 14th game and eventually finishing 17th. (They finished bottom of the table the following season).

Newcastle have now gone 13 games without a win, with Norwich next up at SJP.

Edited by Territorial - 27 Nov 2021 at 9:08pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 9:09pm
They can’t be hugely motivated as players if they feel money will be spent in the winter and they’ll be relegated to bit-part players or sent to the stands to await an inevitable transfer.
Rolling boh View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolling boh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 10:49pm
must be a factor knowing you will not really be wanted when the new owners start their investment. 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 8:43am
Massive two games with Norwich and Burnley coming up .
They are getting cut adrift and need a win from somewhere 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 9:44am
They need 6 or 7 points from their next 3 games as after that it’s Liverpool city and united. Leeds Watford and Brentford also have difficulty December fixtures but also play each other.

As well as motivating the players that are there it will be hard to get players who are currently starters in unless they pay ridiculous money to their clubs. Loan deals for the likes of Bale, Ramsey the likeliest I’d say.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 2:25am
It would be brilliant if they get relegated and spend a few seasons in the Championship
It would damage this forums' reputation
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

It would be brilliant if they get relegated...

Absolutely.

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

... and spend a few seasons in the Championship
Sadly with the parachute payments available to them, NUFC wouldn't even need  to dip into their Saudi blood money to come straight back up again.

With the EFL finally beginning to enforce their FFP rules properly (QPR, Derby, Reading etc), the Championship is becoming less competitive than ever, since parachute money now skews the competition wildly, hence the yo-yo clubs. This is made worse by the fact that there are currently fewer "big" clubs lleft in it, like egi Leeds and Villa, or Sheff Wed and Sunderland.

Meaning any half decent club with a bit of money behind it should be able to stroll to promotion - see eg Fulham and Bounemouth this season.
Slow & Blind View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 2:17pm
I was there last night, two very poor teams that'll be playing each other in the league again next season. The state of the squad is the big problem. Not buying a defender since 2018 is really showing, not that the midfield is any better. The January transfer market will be interesting. Do they blow £200 million to try and stay up or accept relegation, move onto the championship and invest heavily in the first season back. 

The stadium is starting to look better, it's been power washed and cleaned up, new PA sound system and the broken seats have been fixed. 

I don't think Ciaran Clark will play for Newcastle again, awful error last night.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 2:28pm
I think they’ll want to spend. But they might do so for loan signings, and focus on high wages and large loan fees. I think players line Ramsey, Bale, Coutinho, Lingard, Barkley etc all seem like reasonable potentials.
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I think they’ll want to spend. But they might do so for loan signings, and focus on high wages and large loan fees. I think players line Ramsey, Bale, Coutinho, Lingard, Barkley etc all seem like reasonable potentials.
While I'd love to see that calibre of player come in, it's 4 good season defeners that needed. Connor Cody, Nathan Ake and similar experienced premier league players have to arrive at the start of January to have any chance of avoiding relegation. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

I was there last night, two very poor teams that'll be playing each other in the league again next season. The state of the squad is the big problem. Not buying a defender since 2018 is really showing, not that the midfield is any better. The January transfer market will be interesting. Do they blow £200 million to try and stay up or accept relegation, move onto the championship and invest heavily in the first season back. 

The stadium is starting to look better, it's been power washed and cleaned up, new PA sound system and the broken seats have been fixed. 

I don't think Ciaran Clark will play for Newcastle again, awful error last night.

It's embarrassing that they have to go begging for money from people from a different continent to show a little civic pride.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 2:35pm

IThe January transfer market will be interesting. Do they blow £200 million to try and stay up or accept relegation, move onto the championship and invest heavily in the first season back.

The indications are that they won't go on a spree in January. Here is what was being said on the BBC website before yesterday's game:

[Howe]  "It's very difficult to make any promises of saying we will definitely spend money and sign players but I can promise the owners will support me and the team in trying to achieve what we need."

If that sounded cautious for a team which is now 80% owned by Saudi investors worth hundreds of billions of pounds, it also echoes noises coming out of the club that there will not be a transfer splurge.

There is no set budget, "transfer kitty" or "war-chest". Instead, the club will focus on what they need, and whether they can improve on the players they have, but most importantly whether those players are available.

Then there is the small matter of convincing them to join a team which could be destined for relegation. As Howe said on Monday: "January is an incredibly difficult time to recruit, especially when your league position is difficult."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59478889

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 2:39pm

While I'd love to see that calibre of player come in, it's 4 good season defeners that needed. Connor Cody, Nathan Ake and similar experienced premier league players have to arrive at the start of January to have any chance of avoiding relegation. 

Ake would fit the loan model and ultimately Newcastle have the funds to buy. I suspect Wolves would need a massive offer to sell Cody.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 3:57pm
Loan deals will be their best bet to stay up. BEtter chance to get players like Origi that other might be willing to let go for games, without the risk to the player of ending up in Championship.
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Ake would fit the loan model and ultimately Newcastle have the funds to buy. I suspect Wolves would need a massive offer to sell Cody.
Have you seen the price of diesel? 
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

It's embarrassing that they have to go begging for money from people from a different continent to show a little civic pride.
I don't think it's embarrassing for fans, there was nothing we could do to maintain the stadium. In the 14 years Mike Ashley had the club the only visible investment was painting the training complex in 2018, nothing was spent on the ground.
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 4:48pm
I don't see why a club at either end of the table would do business with Newcastle this January - either a relegation competitor or one of the top clubs.... unless its very large offer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 252253254255256 267>
  Share Topic