You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Space Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Space Thread
    Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 5:33pm
Next week on the 15th of February an asteroid the size of a swimming pool is going to skim past the earth. It will pass inside the orbit of earths satellites. No chance of it hitting is though. When it passes at the closest point Europe will be in darkness therefore should be spectacular.

Last time one this big hit earth it was in 1908 and crashed into siberia flattening 80 million trees.

This should be fun
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 5:37pm
If you live in a city such as London, would the lights from the city not mess it up?
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 5:37pm
Fantastic!! Great heads up, hoping for a clear night
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 5:55pm
Good man. I love astronomy. Cannot wait for this
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

If you live in a city such as London, would the lights from the city not mess it up?
Don't know but id doubt it. It will be big but you'll need a binoculars to see it. For space that's damn close. Hampstead or shooters hill would be the best places to see it.

There's another one heading our way at the end of the year which is even bigger.

Edited by colemanY2K - 08 Feb 2013 at 6:09pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 6:18pm
If the asteroid was due to hit earth, would the relevant authorities tell us? Shocked 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 6:21pm
Will Sky Television be covering this? Wink
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 9:05pm
Asteroids are now strongly believed to be the spark for life to begin on earth. So Astreroids could be our great ancestorsCool.

Asteroids a great bunch of lads
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Asteroids are now strongly believed to be the spark for life to begin on earth. So Astreroids could be our great ancestorsCool.

Jaysus Bob, might be an idea to delete this before the lizards get word of your new beliefs......
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Jaysus Bob, might be an idea to delete this before the lizards get word of your new beliefs......

LOL sh*t my cover's blown, I'm sorry Lizards your still Number 1.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 9:42pm

maybe there's something in this scientology lark after all
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 10:56pm
my little one got a telescope for christmas, this will be the business
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Dukla View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 11:03pm
Apparently only Australia & parts of Asia will be able to see it.
deisedevil View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deisedevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Next week on the 15th of February an asteroid the size of a swimming pool is going to skim past the earth. It will pass inside the orbit of earths satellites. No chance of it hitting is though. When it passes at the closest point Europe will be in darkness therefore should be spectacular.

Last time one this big hit earth it was in 1908 and crashed into siberia flattening 80 million trees.

This should be fun

who counted the trees?Confused
Metal Paul View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
The Dude

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metal Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by deisedevil deisedevil wrote:

This should be fun

That's exactly what I thought when I read that! 
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 12:37am

LOL

80 million trees, very specific!

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 7:55am
Originally posted by deisedevil deisedevil wrote:

This should be fun

quite simple really. Just count how many trees there are in a square kilometre and pro rata. The area of the strike was extremely remote. This event was called the tunguska event.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 7:57am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

LOL

80 million trees, very specific!

Get out of it ya cowboy. I should have said "estimated". Google tunguska event to learn more
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic