You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 359360361362363 470>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

how many league of Ireland clubs and how many provinces.   

Add up all the attendances for Longford Athlone Dundalk Drogheda and the Dublin clubs and Wexford and see what you get.  

Do the same for Cork and Waterford and Limerick. 

What do Galway and Sligo get combined.  

I am sure if there were four teams in Ireland competing against welsh and Scottish and Italian teams the attendances in Ireland would be decent.  

The club game in Ireland in rugby has been destroyed by the provincial game and I well remember crowds of 500 at Munster v Leinster games. Fast forward a few years and you had 80,000 and then a few more years and you had less than 7,000 for some Munster games.  

Putting rugby fans on a pedestal is as stupid as hating them because one of the players is called Hugo as a W@ker on here suggested 
I'm far from putting them on a pedestal, but with the amount of people who watch football, play football (including 5 a side), it's sad that there are more people who go to watch provincial or international rugby that football. We're obviously all football fans first on here, but you have to admit that you'd love to guarantee every Ireland match to be a sellout like the rugby lads do, and I'd love to have average attendaces of 12k at LOI games.

Average attendance of LOI last year was 2k (so multiply by 10 teams to get 20k)
Average attendacene for Pro14 Irish teams was 12k (so multiply by 4 to get to 48k)

We're a predominently TV-based set of fans unfortuantely. 

4 provincial teams playing in a regional tournament and a European tournament is not the same as 10 to 20 LOI Teams playing each other.  
More people go watch rugby in Ireland at the weekend than football. Whereas TV viewing figures, jersey sales etc are far higher for football.

I have explained the reason for that.   There are four teams play in competitions that involved 3 other countries.  This atteCtea sponsorship media coverage and fans.   If we had four irish football teams representing 4 regions of ireland and playing against Celtic Rangers Aberdeen Hibs  Wrexham Cardiff and Swansea and Linfield Clifdenville and another country say Holland wjth Ajax and PSV and Feyenoord I suspect the attendances would be decent. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Very poor risk/reward analysis from Sexton in that game regarding the penalties. Opening minute or two penalty to Ireland and a chance to knock it down the line and build a bit of early pressure - instead opts for the scrumhalf to take a huge punt at it from just inside our own half. Best case scenario we edge out a 3-0 lead but more likely result we give them back the ball (albeit with poor field position for them).

Then a few minutes before half time, we've conceded a try and lost the lead but, having scored a try ourselves earlier on, are now in the position to need a win by 6 points as opposed to 7. Penalty in what looked a fairly likely position to knock over for three points and cut the deficit to just one point but instead now opts to kick towards the corner. Ireland eventually turn it over and the French end the half four points up and with a huge psychological advantage.

I know in both cases you can say if it worked out great, but again in terms of the context of the game thought both those decisions were simply the wrong call. Not that we deserved to win anyway, but we really didn't help ourselves with that kind of decision making.
Agreed, awful calls & then whinged about been taken off. Don't think anyone was surprised apart from himself
Some people just deserve a slap
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Very poor risk/reward analysis from Sexton in that game regarding the penalties. Opening minute or two penalty to Ireland and a chance to knock it down the line and build a bit of early pressure - instead opts for the scrumhalf to take a huge punt at it from just inside our own half. Best case scenario we edge out a 3-0 lead but more likely result we give them back the ball (albeit with poor field position for them).

Then a few minutes before half time, we've conceded a try and lost the lead but, having scored a try ourselves earlier on, are now in the position to need a win by 6 points as opposed to 7. Penalty in what looked a fairly likely position to knock over for three points and cut the deficit to just one point but instead now opts to kick towards the corner. Ireland eventually turn it over and the French end the half four points up and with a huge psychological advantage.

I know in both cases you can say if it worked out great, but again in terms of the context of the game thought both those decisions were simply the wrong call. Not that we deserved to win anyway, but we really didn't help ourselves with that kind of decision making.
Agreed, awful calls & then whinged about been taken off. Don't think anyone was surprised apart from himself

The first one I thought was okay, there was no wind and it was central.
They obviously practice this and score them more than 50%. 

The one before HT was a high risk strategy we didn’t need to take on. Kick the 3 points and we going in 1 behind. 
When you only need to win by 6 you want the scores close.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 3:39pm

how many league of Ireland clubs and how many provinces.   

Add up all the attendances for Longford Athlone Dundalk Drogheda and the Dublin clubs and Wexford and see what you get.  

Do the same for Cork and Waterford and Limerick. 

What do Galway and Sligo get combined.  

I am sure if there were four teams in Ireland competing against welsh and Scottish and Italian teams the attendances in Ireland would be decent.  

The club game in Ireland in rugby has been destroyed by the provincial game and I well remember crowds of 500 at Munster v Leinster games. Fast forward a few years and you had 80,000 and then a few more years and you had less than 7,000 for some Munster games.  

Putting rugby fans on a pedestal is as stupid as hating them because one of the players is called Hugo as a W@ker on here suggested 
I'm far from putting them on a pedestal, but with the amount of people who watch football, play football (including 5 a side), it's sad that there are more people who go to watch provincial or international rugby that football. We're obviously all football fans first on here, but you have to admit that you'd love to guarantee every Ireland match to be a sellout like the rugby lads do, and I'd love to have average attendaces of 12k at LOI games.

Average attendance of LOI last year was 2k (so multiply by 10 teams to get 20k)
Average attendacene for Pro14 Irish teams was 12k (so multiply by 4 to get to 48k)

We're a predominently TV-based set of fans unfortuantely. 

4 provincial teams playing in a regional tournament and a European tournament is not the same as 10 to 20 LOI Teams playing each other.  
More people go watch rugby in Ireland at the weekend than football. Whereas TV viewing figures, jersey sales etc are far higher for football.

I have explained the reason for that.   There are four teams play in competitions that involved 3 other countries.  This atteCtea sponsorship media coverage and fans.   If we had four irish football teams representing 4 regions of ireland and playing against Celtic Rangers Aberdeen Hibs  Wrexham Cardiff and Swansea and Linfield Clifdenville and another country say Holland wjth Ajax and PSV and Feyenoord I suspect the attendances would be decent. 
I know they're different competition structures, I'm just pointing out more Rugby fans go to games regularly than football fans, wen I posted the original post it was in response to comments saying that rugby fans were only going to be seen

Kinda bleak to think that's never gonna change (as we're never getting a cross border league with Celtic/Ajax)
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 10:46am
Argentina!!!!!!!!!!
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 10:51am
Was the Half Test game against Wales not worthy of a mention here last night. 

Edited by irelandfan - 14 Nov 2020 at 10:53am
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 11:10am
I’d suspect most rugby heads on here are trying to figure out how Wales became a total shambles so quickly.talking to a welsh mate last night, not happy was putting it mildly.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 11:24am
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

I’d suspect most rugby heads on here are trying to figure out how Wales became a total shambles so quickly.talking to a welsh mate last night, not happy was putting it mildly.
Gatty is the best coach in world rugby so it's hardly surprising Wales have declined since he left
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Argentina!!!!!!!!!!

Wow impressive friendly win! Nearly as impressive as Finland beating France 2-0 in the football the other night.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Argentina!!!!!!!!!!

Wow impressive friendly win! Nearly as impressive as Finland beating France 2-0 in the football the other night.

Wasn't a friendly though, part of the 2020 Rugby Championship which is the southern hemisphere version of the Six Nations.

So lets just say before you try to make a joke perhaps educate yourself otherwise you look like a fool 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Argentina!!!!!!!!!!

Wasn't a friendly though, part of the 2020 Rugby Championship which is the southern hemisphere version of the Six Nations.

So lets just say before you try to make a joke perhaps educate yourself otherwise you look like a fool 
One of the most famous football matches in Irish history was England 0 Ireland 2 in 1949

That was a Test Match

England 3 Hungary 6 in 1953 is one of the most famous matches of all time

That was another Test Match

According to some lads here The Ashes in cricket is a series of friendly matches

But it isn't

The Ashes is a series of deadly serious Test Matches

Long live Test Matches

Edited by sid waddell - 14 Nov 2020 at 12:51pm
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 1:17pm
The Argies won't make a Documentary about this win would they? 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 2:06pm

Argentina!!!!!!!!!!

One of the most famous football matches in Irish history was England 0 Ireland 2 in 1949

That was a Test Match

According to some lads here The Ashes in cricket is a series of friendly matches

But it isn't

Long live Test Matches

Ohhhhh Cricket the Ashes is something else , never been to a day of one of the tests but would think it would be cracking .
Funny love to see England stick up the Aussies can't think of any other sport where i want England to win . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 2:09pm
went to the ashes with the scientist back in 2009
AKA pedantic kunt
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 2:29pm

Argentina!!!!!!!!!!

How was it a friendly? 
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Argentina!!!!!!!!!!

That was a Test Match

But it isn't

Long live Test Matches

Ohhhhh Cricket the Ashes is something else , never been to a day of one of the tests but would think it would be cracking .
Funny love to see England stick up the Aussies can't think of any other sport where i want England to win . 

Was at 3 days of it last summer, including day 1 of first test at Edgbaston. Some day out
@AntrimMan85
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Argentina!!!!!!!!!!

How was it a friendly? 
Come on nvidic, you know the rules, if it’s not part of a FIFA approved tournament, if a friendly to the rugby haters

Edited by Shedite - 14 Nov 2020 at 3:26pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 3:25pm

Argentina!!!!!!!!!!

Brenda Embarrassed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 359360361362363 470>
  Share Topic