You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 228229230231232 470>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 3:21pm
They are 1/5 to win the series - which just makes the 11/10 whitewash odds even more favourable.

That's the NZ Herald reaction to the squad. They don't seem particularly concerned unsurprisingly.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

They are 1/5 to win the series - which just makes the 11/10 whitewash odds even more favourable.

That's the NZ Herald reaction to the squad. They don't seem particularly concerned unsurprisingly.

Anyone else read that with a Kiwi accent?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 3:37pm
That is crazy, 1/5 to win two games and 11/10 to win three? Do they think that New Zealand are going to throw the last one or something?
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 3:41pm
To be fair since the professional era the Lions have only been whitewashed once before - but that was against the ABs in 2005!
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 3:46pm
The All Blacks on form can easily do a whitewash
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

To be fair since the professional era the Lions have only been whitewashed once before - but that was against the ABs in 2005!
With a better Lions and an arguably weaker New Zealand. I think anything but a whitewash will be a big surprise. I actually think the Lions could be beaten in more than just the test matches, the schedule is ridiculous, playing the Hurricanes and the Chiefs just after the first test is lunacy. 10 games and I reckon they might win 4.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 11:06pm
This yoke is the absolute pinnacle of Rugby marketing. 

There are 4 teams, all of whom have an ideal starting 15. That's 60 players. Yes, I know there are more than that available to him, but after that point, yer kind of redefining what an elite player is. 

Gatland named 41 in his squad. Five to ten more lads will eventually get to go with various injuries cropping up. 

That's nearly all of them so. Yet, to be selected for the squad is the pinnacle of the lads careers, we know this because we are told at every single available opportunity. Strangely, the rugby players themselves buy in to this, something I've never quite understood, it's almost like none of them stood back & had a look at it from even a short distance away. 

I do accept being on the test starting XV is indeed an honour/achievement for the players, and wouldn't have an issue with that, but making a giant squad, in order to play a few games V some club sides or sit on the bench, and maybe get a start if one or 2 of the fellas ahead of you is in poor form or gets injured is hardly the stuff of dreams. Well, seemingly it is in Rugby Country, but I don't really buy it. 

And for the traditionalists, even leaving out the oul apartheid supporting back in the day, surely is it against the ethos of that tradition to have as many New Zealanders in yer squad as Scotsmen. Rugby eligibility laws keep going the way they are and it will end up 2 teams from the southern hemisphere playing each other, the country of birth or the colour of the jersey will both be meaningless at that point. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

This yoke is the absolute pinnacle of Rugby marketing. 

There are 4 teams, all of whom have an ideal starting 15. That's 60 players. Yes, I know there are more than that available to him, but after that point, yer kind of redefining what an elite player is. 

Gatland named 41 in his squad. Five to ten more lads will eventually get to go with various injuries cropping up. 

That's nearly all of them so. Yet, to be selected for the squad is the pinnacle of the lads careers, we know this because we are told at every single available opportunity. Strangely, the rugby players themselves buy in to this, something I've never quite understood, it's almost like none of them stood back & had a look at it from even a short distance away. 

I do accept being on the test starting XV is indeed an honour/achievement for the players, and wouldn't have an issue with that, but making a giant squad, in order to play a few games V some club sides or sit on the bench, and maybe get a start if one or 2 of the fellas ahead of you is in poor form or gets injured is hardly the stuff of dreams. Well, seemingly it is in Rugby Country, but I don't really buy it. 

And for the traditionalists, even leaving out the oul apartheid supporting back in the day, surely is it against the ethos of that tradition to have as many New Zealanders in yer squad as Scotsmen. Rugby eligibility laws keep going the way they are and it will end up 2 teams from the southern hemisphere playing each other, the country of birth or the colour of the jersey will both be meaningless at that point. 

In bold is the part I struggle with, I understand the honour and prestige involved, but I have heard lads like O'Connell say it was the proudest moment of his career, a fella who was involved in only Ireland's second 'grand Slam' and won a few trinkets with his provincial franchise too. 
I enjoyed the last Lions tour and the unusual, anachronistic nature of it, but surely it can't be more important to a fella from Limerick than putting on an Irish jersey?
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 11:33pm
Along those lines (excuse the pun) PM, so many lads, especially in recent years, have gone on these biannual trips and then brought out books about the experience, I don't really know of any of them that said 

'' Actually, tis a bit of a load of bollix, I was delighted to be in it, made some new friends, saw some interesting places, but rugby wise, it was a bit of a letdown, all I really did was play 2 midweek mismatches V Club xyz & I didn't really feel a big part of the test games'' 

There were a few with gripes of Woodwards tour alright, but that was more so with him/Alistair Campbell etc than the concept itself. You would think, especially as the rugby lads are generally intelligent fellas with a decent standard of education, that at least one of them might have said something along those lines in the past few decades, but no, not a fecking peep, they may as well be reading the Sky autocue when the subject comes up. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 11:50pm

Along those lines (excuse the pun) PM, so many lads, especially in recent years, have gone on these biannual trips and then brought out books about the experience, I don't really know of any of them that said 

'' Actually, tis a bit of a load of bollix, I was delighted to be in it, made some new friends, saw some interesting places, but rugby wise, it was a bit of a letdown, all I really did was play 2 midweek mismatches V Club xyz & I didn't really feel a big part of the test games'' 

There were a few with gripes of Woodwards tour alright, but that was more so with him/Alistair Campbell etc than the concept itself. You would think, especially as the rugby lads are generally intelligent fellas with a decent standard of education, that at least one of them might have said something along those lines in the past few decades, but no, not a fecking peep, they may as well be reading the Sky autocue when the subject comes up. 

Deise, you should know better than to suggest those two things are connected! I would be of the opinion that a lot of rugby players may be well educated  and very well connected, look at the jobs they get when they retire, but I certainly wouldn't assume intelligence, in much the same way I don't express shock when a footballer has an interest beyond birds, bling and bantz. 
I am not really surprised that nobody has sl*gged it off either, a lot of them are made for life just from the after dinner circuit alone, I am just surprised that they overdo the fawning a little bit. When you hear someone like POC imply it meant more than an Irish 'Grand Slam' you feel he needs to tone it down a touch! 
I think it is more irregular than biannual too!
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 12:03am
True, education & intelligence aren't really linked, I suppose the angle I was getting at with the education bit is that it is quite likely some of them will have studied marketing and might be likely to see through the fog when things that are exaggerated by that marketing present themselves. 

Fair point on the post-rugby career/pundit/after dinner circuit too, I would have just thought out of sheer volume of numbers at least one Lions squad member over the last 20 years would have come out & said something a bit different, like any footballer or GAA fella or any sportsman, there simply has to be one with an opinion different to the rest of them.  A negative opinion of the Lions for a rugby player is a very niche market right now, the first fella to go about it properly has a chance of making a career out of it for himself, like an Egg Chasing Joe Brolly, for all the world. 

Biannual event, ha, got me there, maybe it just feels like it LOL. Some of said same marketing lads have already thought about it though, I'd be certain of that much !!

rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 12:14am
Lads looking for a career on tv after they retire probably can't afford to sl*g off the Lions tour.
Sky don't really go down the Brolly/Dunphy route everything has to be made out to be excellent so no lad will bad mouth it.

It's a load of bollix really in the amateur days it was probably a good thing get away for a months holiday and made a big difference getting sponsors etc.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 2:56am

True, education & intelligence aren't really linked, I suppose the angle I was getting at with the education bit is that it is quite likely some of them will have studied marketing and might be likely to see through the fog when things that are exaggerated by that marketing present themselves. 

Fair point on the post-rugby career/pundit/after dinner circuit too, I would have just thought out of sheer volume of numbers at least one Lions squad member over the last 20 years would have come out & said something a bit different, like any footballer or GAA fella or any sportsman, there simply has to be one with an opinion different to the rest of them.  A negative opinion of the Lions for a rugby player is a very niche market right now, the first fella to go about it properly has a chance of making a career out of it for himself, like an Egg Chasing Joe Brolly, for all the world. 

Biannual event, ha, got me there, maybe it just feels like it LOL. Some of said same marketing lads have already thought about it though, I'd be certain of that much !!

I think it is more likely to happen with an ex-Lion now, due to the professional era. Top level players can make enough to set themselves and don't need to tow the party line, there are also more of them coming from outside the traditional rugby backgrounds and won't have grown up within the structure of being sold the spiel. I very much doubt the South Sea Island lads , for example, give a flying f**k beyond the few quid they can make off it.
Rugby dressing rooms haven't always been known as bastions of independent thought or revolutionary theory, even in those areas that proclaim it as a game for dockers and coal miners there always seems to have been a subservience to societal structure, I think that is changing with the money in the game. I think the last England World Cup squad had 10 lads that went to state schools, many of them northern lads who once would have ended up at St. Helens, Wigan or Wakefield but the money enticed them to union and, by the law of averages, one or two of those lads are more likely to have a more flippant attitude towards what they see as the game's structures, especially after retiring.
What is more bizarre is the lack of introspective on it from the rugby media, which I suppose shows how the game propels itself. Even in the days of social media and online cranks(irony alert), you find very few dissenting voices from within the game's media or supporters. Most long-term football fans have a gripe without how the game is run, the money, television and sponsorship, FIFA/FAI/UEFA etc. yet rugby has problems too but much less dissent. it is quite clear that the Lions tour is a massive money spinner, especially for the host country but also for the four 'home' unions and the sponsors, but the only person I have seen to highlight this fact is Tipperary's Gerard Meagher in the Guardian last week. I added the article below.
 I do find the lack of dissenting voices within the game unusual, especially at a time when players seem to be playing far too much rugby and there are serious health repercussions from that. That very few people are not questioning the need for such a competitive tour , at a time where they are discussing 11 month seasons, it just doesn't sit right.
When there was talk of the 'end of the Lions' ,because of the dawn of professionalism ,it was all about finance, since they have found a way to profit from it it appears the Lions are more integral to rugby than ever, with the word tradition thrown around for good measure.
That isn't to say I won't enjoy watching it and the media circus around it and even the silly videos of Irish lads lighting Welsh lads fart or holding silly drunken 'courts' that would be mocked by anyone with a connection to reality but I do think there are people who refuse to accept it for what it is or admit what it is, especially those taking part

Edited by pre Madonna - 20 Apr 2017 at 3:24am
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 6:48am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

That is crazy, 1/5 to win two games and 11/10 to win three? Do they think that New Zealand are going to throw the last one or something?

Those odds are crazy.
NZ will want a 3-0 win to affirm their dominance and I can see them doing it.

alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 9:58am
the reason why there's more of a correlation between intelligence and rugby players is because nearly every one of them has a university/college degree of some sort. it's part of being within a province academy as well, that they have each academy player doing a diploma in professionalism too. there is the understanding that a rugby career isn't for life so to be positioning themselves in a way to have something lined up for once their playing career ends. also, look at the ages to when rugby players do become 'professional' players, it is certainly later than the age of professional footballers and allows the time to do their further studies etc.

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 10:26am
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

the reason why there's more of a correlation between intelligence and rugby players is because nearly every one of them has a university/college degree of some sort. it's part of being within a province academy as well, that they have each academy player doing a diploma in professionalism too. there is the understanding that a rugby career isn't for life so to be positioning themselves in a way to have something lined up for once their playing career ends. also, look at the ages to when rugby players do become 'professional' players, it is certainly later than the age of professional footballers and allows the time to do their further studies etc.

Also there is a prevalent culture of anti-intellectualism amongst football players (especially in the UK) that there isin't amongst Rugby or most other sports.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

We all agree that they are better educated, that doesn't correlate with being more intelligent. Has nobody here ever played rugby or, worse, met a professional rugby team socially? The definition of anti-intellectualism, the difference is that it is viewed through the school they went too and how it is reported in the media.
It is a huge part of the reason why those from other sports and none have a chip on their shoulder over the sport.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

What is more bizarre is the lack of introspective on it from the rugby media, which I suppose shows how the game propels itself. Even in the days of social media and online cranks(irony alert), you find very few dissenting voices from within the game's media or supporters. Most long-term football fans have a gripe without how the game is run, the money, television and sponsorship, FIFA/FAI/UEFA etc. yet rugby has problems too but much less dissent. it is quite clear that the Lions tour is a massive money spinner, especially for the host country but also for the four 'home' unions and the sponsors, but the only person I have seen to highlight this fact is Tipperary's Gerard Meagher in the Guardian last week.

There is constant criticism from the English and French about the structure of European club rugby. They threw the toys out of the pram and negotiated their own tv deal beyond the strictures of the European organisation which controlled the competition, until they got what they wanted, a bigger share of a smaller pot.

That is what the elite clubs in European football threatened on an ongoing basis (setting up a superleague) without ever following through with it. The French and English rugby clubs took the brinksmanship quite a bit further than the football clubs ever did, motivated almost entirely by nothing other than filthy lucre, especially where the reduction in size of the competition did not reduce the number of games played by each club who qualifies.

There was a fair whack of dissent all across the Celtic League nations about that behaviour, and the fact that they were forced to cave as a result of the bully boy behaviour of the big clubs. It is certainly not unique to football, and in certain respects they went further than any football organisation has ever gone.

Now, that's entirely separate from the Lions tour, which I think we can agree doesn't seem to attract the same level of negative voice, but I think that can arguably be put down to the fact rugby does not have the same mass appeal as football. I'd guess the reason that there is little negative said about the Lions is that a number of the more casual rugby fans simply don't care. Football coverage is more all-encompassing and saturating, whereas rugby only attracts mainstream attention a few times a year (Six Nations games, knockout Heineken cup games and the World Cup). Put it like this: the back page of most UK newspapers today will be more concerned with the outcome of last nights Champions League quarter finals, containing no UK teams, than the selection of the Lions squad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 228229230231232 470>
  Share Topic