You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rocky Films Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

also... that Jaws franchise LOL

It got so f**king ridiculous. What was Michael Caine thinking when he read the script to one of them. The shark followed the widow to Jamaica LOL

The lovely house his fee bought him 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 7:51pm

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Here’s a discussion for yis.

Best to worst Rocky films, feel free to include to include the 2 Creed films. I’ll start off.

4 the best, 3, creed 1, rocky 2, creed 2, 1, 5, 6 is the worst 

Can't take anyone who diesn't appreciate Rocky I as being the best seriously.

Is there any franchise or series where the first instalment is considered the best though? Jaws is the only one which one I can think of atm.

I think in my most people's eyes 2 will always be greater than 1 because that's when the scenes such as the running through the scenes and the theme song really becomes popular.

The lord of the rings

Indiana Jones and terminator depending on your personal taste

No no no I can't be having this!! Angry 

Fellowship of the ring is better than Two Towers and Return of the King?! I'd even say the 3rd Hobbit film is better than the 1st LOTR!

Terminator 1 is better than Terminator 2?!

Raiders of the Last Ark is better than Lost Crusade?!

JAWS though LOL 1st one was good, 2nd was alright, the others need to be deleted from the archives LOL

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 8:02pm

Best to worst Rocky films, feel free to include to include the 2 Creed films. I’ll start off.

Is there any franchise or series where the first instalment is considered the best though? Jaws is the only one which one I can think of atm.

I think in my most people's eyes 2 will always be greater than 1 because that's when the scenes such as the running through the scenes and the theme song really becomes popular.

I think the fact that Rocky was nominated for ten Oscars and won three including best film means that in most people's eyes it will always be considered greater than II. And than all the others.

The rest are great lowest common denominator entertainment, especially III and IV. Rocky I is actually a great film. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 21 Apr 2020 at 8:03pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 8:13pm

I think the fact that Rocky was nominated for ten Oscars and won three including best film means that in most people's eyes it will always be considered greater than II. And than all the others.

You might have a point here actually. 1 gated more than 2 and 3 also. But 4 came top in that category.

Why do you rate 4 so lowly, it's a fantastic film. The story is very corny but everything about it from the soundtrack is just pure class.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 8:19pm

also... that Jaws franchise LOL

It got so f**king ridiculous. What was Michael Caine thinking when he read the script to one of them. The shark followed the widow to Jamaica LOL
"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.”LOL
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 8:35pm

You might have a point here actually. 1 gated more than 2 and 3 also. But 4 came top in that category.

Why do you rate 4 so lowly, it's a fantastic film. The story is very corny but everything about it from the soundtrack is just pure class.

I actually love Rocky IV, it's gas. But it's not a serious film, it's a cartoon. It's kind of like World Cups, a list of my mates are attached to it because they were kids when it was out and they have good memories of it. It was very of its time in a very OTT era of film making.

I remember my Da bringing me to the cinema when Rocky III was out and we discovered that the Savoy  (I think) was showing a double bill of I and II so we decided to do that instead as I'd seen neither. I was about 11 or 12 but was blown away by both but particularly I.

We went back to see III again but even at that age I knew it was a different type of film even though I really enjoyed it. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 10:07pm
Ghostbusters
First Blood
The Matrix
The French Connection
Police Academy

All better than their sequels.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 10:44pm
the original is generally better than the sequel I find
The amount of sequel flops out there compared to the odd sequel being better than the first. 

I do love rocky IV though but more for the soundtrack and drama of creed dying and the Russia vs USA angle. But how many scenes with actual dialogue were there? Not that many! 

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Ghostbusters
The Matrix

All better than their sequels.

My heads blown.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 11:35am
Watched Rocky 1V last night and don’t get the hate for it. He takes some punishment from Drago and goes on to win the fight. Got to give him kudos for that
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 11:51am
I think Rocky IV is class. Cheese personified. 

He's like a piece of iron....
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 7:19pm

Best Rocky song too. 
I must break it to you....Burning Heart tops Eye of the Tiger 

Edited by Steve Amsterdam - 25 Apr 2020 at 7:19pm
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 7:31pm
Hearts on Fire while on a jog keeps you going.

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Best Rocky song too. 
100%
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 9:34am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Best Rocky song too. 
100%

For the pubquiz aficionados out there; If you think the voice of the Survivor lead singer sounds familiar in 'Burning Heart', just think back to Baywatch.
No, not Pammie her 2 talents. But the intro song is the same guy; Jimi Jamison.

Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 8:44pm
I see Sly has put the rod out LOL

Says he has a screenplay for Rocky VII (Adrian's revenge) but it didnt happen "because of certain individuals"

Hey yo Rocky, i reckon those certain individuals had come around to the fact that the horse was well and truly flogged to death
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 8:50pm
Cracking bump on a Sunday night ClapLOL

I still can't get over the brutally realistic boxing scenes when neither the protagonist or the cartoon villain opponent (except Apollo R.I.P.)  seem to put up any sort of defence when clear punches are raining down on them. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 9:03pm

I see Sly has put the rod out LOL

Says he has a screenplay for Rocky VII (Adrian's revenge) but it didnt happen "because of certain individuals"

Hey yo Rocky, i reckon those certain individuals had come around to the fact that the horse was well and truly flogged to death

Sure Rocky VII & VIII were basically Creed I & II!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic