You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The rejects who only got tickets from the Quarters
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The rejects who only got tickets from the Quarters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 12:01am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

in this group too, infairness getting to moscow was piss easy and dont deserve a group ticket, also have a few pints in me so ignore this!
WTF??? Am I missing something here???

explain?
Sponsored Links

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 12:08am
Basically your entire post vidic
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
soccerc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soccerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 12:08am
Selective choices from me

Kharkiv 38500 v Wroclaw 41000
Lviv 35000 v Warsaw 58000

I can leave here and drive to Poland without the 'must fly' by taking a ferry.

The reason everyone would have been accommodated for tickets in Ukraine is simply down to the logistics of travelling to and around the country.   Had England been in Poland they expected up to100,000 to arrive whereas they now believe less than 10000 will make the trip.

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 12:10am

Basically your entire post vidic

sorry, as i said, was in the pub so posts might not make sense! but basically the 300 or so of us that went to Moscow were told we'd be okay for tickets for travelling that far and its turned out that wasnt true at all and like many ive ended up with no group stage tickets and just quarter final tickets.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 12:12am
Makes sense now, I agree, you were rightly shafted.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 12:15am

Makes sense now, I agree, you were rightly shafted.

We were but no point getting worked up over it, we're all still alive and in good health, nothing to get worked up over and it'll all work out in the endThumbs Up
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 5:09am
Originally posted by soccerc soccerc wrote:

The reason everyone would have been accommodated for tickets in Ukraine is simply down to the logistics of travelling to and around the country.   Had England been in Poland they expected up to100,000 to arrive whereas they now believe less than 10000 will make the trip.

Ukraine is not a third world country, everything is available. England won't bother travelling because not enough of them want to pay the cost of accommodation. Neither do we in Poland, so we'll end up in tents, campsites, vans, and well away from the host cities instead.

Sweden got the one-way ticket to Kiev, so they can set up camp for the week, and have literally thousands of tickets available. As for those crying over the travel logistics, many of our fans are experienced long-haul travellers, some were up and down Italy in 1990, and USA in 94, so it should make a few hours travelling in Ukraine seem a spin.

Edited by planning - 18 Mar 2012 at 5:16am
mactifosi View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mactifosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

We need flights because of where we are. Everyone else can get buses and trains to get around, even the English. They won't of course, but they could if they had to. 

Jesus there are loads of direct flights from Ireland to Poland unlike most other countries.
Some fans will have no option but to get multiple flights, trains etc.

I can tell having experience myself travelling in the Ukraine, Ireland is very lucky not to be based in Ukraine.

England for example have a couple of much bigger round trips on diabolical road and rail lines.
The trip to Gdansk is a bloody picnic in comparison - 5-6 hours

Germany have to go from Lviv to Kharkiv which will be complete torture with the Ukraine's infrastructure could be 24 hours by bus.

It is very easy getting tickets for matches in Ukraine, as most fans dont want to go there.
Based on personal experience I cant blame them.

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by mactifosi mactifosi wrote:

We need flights because of where we are. Everyone else can get buses and trains to get around, even the English. They won't of course, but they could if they had to. 

Jesus there are loads of direct flights from Ireland to Poland unlike most other countries.
Some fans will have no option but to get multiple flights, trains etc.

I can tell having experience myself travelling in the Ukraine, Ireland is very lucky not to be based in Ukraine.

England for example have a couple of much bigger round trips on diabolical road and rail lines.
The trip to Gdansk is a bloody picnic in comparison - 5-6 hours

Germany have to go from Lviv to Kharkiv which will be complete torture with the Ukraine's infrastructure could be 24 hours by bus.

It is very easy getting tickets for matches in Ukraine, as most fans dont want to go there.
Based on personal experience I cant blame them.

exactly, anybody who wanted Ukraine over Poland needs their head examined. If you think Poland prices are high now  imagine England/holland or Germany in our group. Poland is a piece of piss to get to
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
stoptheclocks View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stoptheclocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 11:29pm
I'm in this group and so is a fellow ST holder. We're not rejects, we're optimistic supporters. I can't wait for the Ireland v France rematch. I'll be there. We'll be putting that night in Paris behind us, once and for all. 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 4:38am
Originally posted by stoptheclocks stoptheclocks wrote:

I'm in this group and so is a fellow ST holder. We're not rejects, we're optimistic supporters. I can't wait for the Ireland v France rematch. I'll be there. We'll be putting that night in Paris behind us, once and for all

Good man stoptheclocks, see ya in KievClap

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 11:46am

Originally posted by soccerc soccerc wrote:

Ukraine is not a third world country, everything is available. England won't bother travelling because not enough of them want to pay the cost of accommodation. Neither do we in Poland, so we'll end up in tents, campsites, vans, and well away from the host cities instead.

Sweden got the one-way ticket to Kiev, so they can set up camp for the week, and have literally thousands of tickets available. As for those crying over the travel logistics, many of our fans are experienced long-haul travellers, some were up and down Italy in 1990, and USA in 94, so it should make a few hours travelling in Ukraine seem a spin.

We wouldn't have come close to selling our allocation for Ukraine either. 

Ukraine accommodation includes over 4,000 euro per night for a 4 star hotel and hundreds per night for the kips.  The logistics are a nightmare.   Hence England have failed to sell their ticket allocation as have anybody else there.      

In Poland we have the option of staying at normal prices in places like Torun, Bydgoszcz and Lodz.  There were also deals available in the host cities until shortly after the draw.

There were no such options for Ukraine.  I got qf tickets for Donetsk a year ago.  I tried loads of ways of going to that game but couldn't get any accommodation at a reasonable (or even somewhat unreasonable price).  In the end I gave up.  If we go to Donetsk I will be there and will sleep in the airport or train station if needs be but most are not willing to do that.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Ukraine accommodation includes over 4,000 euro per night for a 4 star hotel and hundreds per night for the kips.  The logistics are a nightmare.   Hence England have failed to sell their ticket allocation as have anybody else there.      

In Poland we have the option of staying at normal prices in places like Torun, Bydgoszcz and Lodz.  There were also deals available in the host cities until shortly after the draw.

At the end of the day, you have to look at priorities. Is it more important to see the games, or more important to have bullet trains and affordable hotels? For me, the games are the trip. I can take the inconvenience involved if it means I get to see the game, and I would have no trouble seeing them in Ukraine, I would get the tickets I wanted too, none of this different category stuff. If the budget isn't enough, then you can pick and choose what games you want to go to. We will find a way of getting to the venues.

Germans can base themselves if needed, in Kiev and travel in and out of there for their games. With respect, the cities mentioned above are also quite far from where we're playing. Poland may have the infrastructure, but it is a big rather dull country, and 10 days in some of those cities will be, even with daily piss-ups, hard going.

Edited by planning - 19 Mar 2012 at 12:54pm
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 1:20pm

At the end of the day, you have to look at priorities. Is it more important to see the games, or more important to have bullet trains and affordable hotels? For me, the games are the trip. I can take the inconvenience involved if it means I get to see the game, and I would have no trouble seeing them in Ukraine, I would get the tickets I wanted too, none of this different category stuff. If the budget isn't enough, then you can pick and choose what games you want to go to. We will find a way of getting to the venues.

Germans can base themselves if needed, in Kiev and travel in and out of there for their games. With respect, the cities mentioned above are also quite far from where we're playing. Poland may have the infrastructure, but it is a big rather dull country, and 10 days in some of those cities will be, even with daily piss-ups, hard going.

Mother of God.....is it 1970 again?

I and many other ybig forum members who have been there can say that Poland is far from a dull country. Yes some of the cities have monumental concrete blocks but the country was flattened firstly by the Germans and then by the Russians in the past century but apart from Warsaw the host cities have beautiful architecture and surrounding countryside. The Poles like the Irish enjoy a good drink and I for one cannot wait to have the craic wherever I may be in Poland in June.

Furthermore, I'm personally delighted to be based in Poland. Getting between the host cities in Ukraine would/could be painful. Lack of accommodation, corrupt cops/officials and proposed legalisation of prostitution in the Ukraine are examples of why I'm glad we're not in Ukraine (at least in group stage).

Edited by colemanY2K - 19 Mar 2012 at 1:38pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Mother of God.....is it 1970 again?

I and many other ybig forum members who have been there can say that Poland is far from a dull country. Yes some of the cities have monumental concrete blocks but the country was flattened firstly by the Germans and then by the Russians in the past century but apart from Warsaw the host cities have beautiful architecture and surrounding countryside. The Poles like the Irish enjoy a good drink and I for one cannot wait to have the craic wherever I may be in Poland in June.

Furthermore, I'm personally delighted to be based in Poland. Getting between the host cities in Ukraine would/could be painful. Lack of accommodation, corrupt cops/officials and proposed legalisation of prostitution in the Ukraine are examples of why I'm glad we're not in Ukraine (at least in group stage).

+1, Been Poland twice and absolutely love it, delighted we're going back, might even go back again with the lads in August for a weekend, great country
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

proposed legalisation of prostitution in the Ukraine

down with this sort of legislation Thumbs Down
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 2:20pm

In fact you can have your 30 euro tickets and probably walk around and sit on the halfway line if you like. 

No point getting 30 euro tickets when paying ridiculous prices for everything else.  The overall cost of a trip to Ukraine would be substantially more than Poland.  Ukraine have tried the South Africa trick of ripping everyone off on the basis that they'll travel anyway and pay the sky high prices.  It didn't work in South Africa and it sure looks like it has failed miserably for Ukraine.  Note Gdansk and Poznan have tried to some extent too but have just lost out to other Polish cities. 
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 2:25pm

Ukraine have tried the South Africa trick of ripping everyone off on the basis that they'll travel anyway and pay the sky high prices.  It didn't work in South Africa and it sure looks like it has failed miserably for Ukraine.  Note Gdansk and Poznan have tried to some extent too but have just lost out to other Polish cities. 

it would have worked out for poland if the germans , dutch and english were based there... we are blessed that they are not...
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic