You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The outlook for Autumn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The outlook for Autumn
    Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 9:22pm
Just trying to look at what each of the four top teams in Ireland's group has, fixture-wise, what the probability is that each team can get to where they would want to be, and what the results might be, given each team's performance in the group so far. Would be interested to hear others' thoughts or analysis. 

--------
Ireland
---------

Current standing - 12 points (2nd)

Fixtures, predicted results, final tally - Georgia (A) = Narrow win, Serbia (H) = Scoring draw, Moldova (H) = Comfortable win, Wales (A) = Nervy draw. 20 points.

Crucial game - Serbia (H). Shame that Ireland didn't go two points clear so far. I think it likely that Ireland will fold under the weight of expectation surrounding this game and deliver a frustratingly cautious performance. However, I don't expect Serbia to come out all guns blazing either as they'd know that a draw in the game would likely be enough to squeak over the line in 1st place. 

If Ireland can't beat Georgia or Moldova, then they simply don't deserve to qualify anyway. Georgia have shown themselves to be a bit weaker this time around. How Wales will develop is anyone's guess, but completely discounting themselves at this point would be a little bit foolhardy. 

-----------
Serbia
-----------

Current standing - 12 pts (1st)

Fixtures, predicted results and final tally - Moldova (A) = Win, Ireland (A) = Draw, Austria (A) = Win, Georgia (H) = Win. 22 pts. 

Crucial Game - Austria (A). Austria already look demoralised, and will likely be out of the race by the time their game with Serbia comes around. I believe it presents to Serbia a slightly better chance to grab a win than away to Ireland. 

-----------
Wales
-----------

Current standing - 8 pts

Fixtures, predicted results and final tally - Austria (H) = Draw, Moldova (A) = Win, Georgia (A) = Win, Ireland (H) = Draw. 16 points

Crucial Game - Austria (H). Wales cannot afford a single misstep, but most of all, they need a win to start that chain that would take them to 20 points. Anything less than a win here and their hopes hinge upon poor results elsewhere. 

-----------
Austria
-----------

Current standing - 8 pts

Fixtures, predicted results and final tally - Wales (A) = Draw, Georgia (H) = Win, Serbia (H) = Loss, Moldova (A) = Win. 15 points. 

Crucial Game - Wales (A). Austria are in the same boat as Wales. That first game of the Autumn is a must win for both teams if they want to have any realistic hopes of 2nd.

Sponsored Links

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 9:26pm
Can't see Serbia winning in Vienna
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

I don't know, that Austrian team is very poor.
BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:06pm
It's likely that the Austrians will be further demoralised come the game v. Serbia. They'll be needing a win in Cardiff, but likely will come up against a motivated Welsh side. I think they'll cancel each other out and it'll be a stalemate. From here, their lack of motivation will be met with a motivated Serbian side, which I think will be enough to net the Serbs a sneaky win. The Serbs look to be the most able team in the group by a slim margin. 
killer kilbane View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:15pm
That could be true but could the same not be said of Wales. If they are out of it also. Maybe you are counting on it being a derby game
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by BriMurt BriMurt wrote:

It's likely that the Austrians will be further demoralised come the game v. Serbia. They'll be needing a win in Cardiff, but likely will come up against a motivated Welsh side. I think they'll cancel each other out and it'll be a stalemate. From here, their lack of motivation will be met with a motivated Serbian side, which I think will be enough to net the Serbs a sneaky win. The Serbs look to be the most able team in the group by a slim margin. 

We clearly want an Austrian win in Cardiff if it isn't a draw. It keeps Austria in it against Serbia (and a lot more than a draw does - even if it might be a double edged sword), it increases the chances of Wales being out of it before we go to Cardiff (again more than a draw does, because Wales are much more likely to win games 8 & 9 than Austria are) and it increases the chances of us winning the group with a game to spare (again an Austrian win does that more than a Welsh win, because Wales are more likely to win games 8 & 9 than Austria are, and it increases Austria's motivation against Serbia). I know the last of those stinks of wishful thinking but the least preferable result is definitely a Wales win. After that, an Austrian win has definite benefits above a draw, along with definite downsides.
BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:43pm
Above all else, there should be a mindset in the Irish team, a real mindset, of securing 1st place in this group. It bears reminding that Ireland are currently second last in the table of second placed teams, and therefore last in the teams eligible to go to the playoffs. Thinking that second would be any way a good result is tantamount to putting the team's hopes on a knife edge. 
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 1:48am
I can't see us finishing lower than second, the problem is i doubt we'll finish any higher. We won't take lower than 7 points from our last four, two expected wins and then a draw against the Serbs (probably one against Wales too). I can see us matching Serbia's results until the end and then missing out on top spot on goal difference. We are gonna need a result that they don't get to win this group.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 20 Jun 2017 at 1:50am
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 8:49am
Wishful thinking maybe but I genuinely think we will win this group. I think we will win our next 3 games which has to be enough regardless of our result in Cardiff. 

I can't see how Wales won't beat Austria at home but Serbia will win away in Vienna. Wales IMO are a better side than Serbia (on their day).

I'm hoping the other teams kill each other with draws and we scrape that vital 3 points in Dublin. 

Forgetting Wales a second, we have a better run in that Serbia. Imagine we had Vienna and Belgrade away. MON will get us the win and we should top the group.

Edited by kearney304 - 20 Jun 2017 at 8:51am
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:08am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

I don't know, that Austrian team is very poor.

I think Serbia will draw in Austria. I think we will draw in Wales. 

Its going to come down to the home game against Serbia. Win that and we top the group.
Anything else and we will be 2nd.

Everybody and his dog would have taken that scenario to get to a World Cup.

DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:58am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Wishful thinking maybe but I genuinely think we will win this group. I think we will win our next 3 games which has to be enough regardless of our result in Cardiff. 

I can't see how Wales won't beat Austria at home but Serbia will win away in Vienna. Wales IMO are a better side than Serbia (on their day).

I'm hoping the other teams kill each other with draws and we scrape that vital 3 points in Dublin. 

Forgetting Wales a second, we have a better run in that Serbia. Imagine we had Vienna and Belgrade away. MON will get us the win and we should top the group.

I would like to be in this frame of mind, however after witnessing the home games against the other 2 top sides in the group (Wales and Austria) it seems to me that it isn't a case of whether or not we CAN beat Serbia but whether or not we TRY to. We didn't try to beat Wales or Austria
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 1:19pm
Hopefully the pressure is off us for the Serbia match and we are not expected to get the 3 points. 

Start Wes and we have every chance of winning.
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

I would like to be in this frame of mind, however after witnessing the home games against the other 2 top sides in the group (Wales and Austria) it seems to me that it isn't a case of whether or not we CAN beat Serbia but whether or not we TRY to. We didn't try to beat Wales or Austria
And I find it hard to imagine us trying to beat Serbia either, that's another game that's got 'draw' stamped all over it. I hope I'm wrong and that we're not looking back on that game in mid-November after a play-off exit thinking 'what if'. Cry 

Still, stranger things have happened - Germany, anyone...? Big smile
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

And I find it hard to imagine us trying to beat Serbia either, that's another game that's got 'draw' stamped all over it. I hope I'm wrong and that we're not looking back on that game in mid-November after a play-off exit thinking 'what if'. Cry 

Still, stranger things have happened - Germany, anyone...? Big smile

Yep! 1-1 draw, 0-0 away to Wales, 2-1 away to Georgia and 3-0 at home to Moldova. 20 points and 2nd place
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Hopefully the pressure is off us for the Serbia match and we are not expected to get the 3 points. 

Start Wes and we have every chance of winning.

How would the pressure be off us?

At home to Serbia. The pressure will be very much on both sides
BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 5:00pm
There's only two goals between Ireland and Serbia at the moment. The possibility hasn't even been discussed that if Ireland lashed on the goals against Moldova in Dublin, there's every possibility Ireland wouldn't even need to beat Serbia or Wales. It's not overly likely that Ireland will be able to catch Serbia on this score given that Serbia also have Moldova at home, but is it out of the question? 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 5:23pm
Basically impossible. The only really plausible scenario where we can finish ahead of Serbia on GD while not beating them or Wales, and keeping ourselves ahead of both Wales and Austria, is where we draw with Serbia, and beat Georgia and Moldova, and where Serbia draw against Austria.

That scenario also requires the following, in addition to winning in Georgia:
Ireland being at least four points ahead of Austria going into the final day (which happens if Austria drop points in one of their next three games - probably against Wales, Serbia or both);
Ireland being at least four points ahead of Wales (which only happens if they don't beat Austria, or if they drop points in Georgia).

There's also the scenario where Austria draw in Wales but beat Serbia. If that happens, along with the following:
Ireland beat Georgia and Moldova, draw with Serbia;
Wales beat Georgia and Moldova, draw with Austria;
Serbia draw with Ireland, lose to Austria, beat Moldova;
then Ireland would be 4 ahead of Wales and (at least) 4 head of Austria going into the last day, and three ahead of the Serbs, with GD potentially deciding the group winner if Ireland lose to Wales and Serbia beat Georgia.

HOWEVER, in *any* scenario involving the potential for GD to play a part, Serbia will have massive motivation to hockey Georgia at home in their final game. Having said that, we would presumably be aware of the potential for GD to matter while playing Moldova the game day before (i.e. winning, while hoping Serbia simultaneously drop points in Vienna), so we would have motivation to score plenty.

But the basic point is this: no matter the scenario, while playing in Cardiff on the final day, any plausible scenario on which we qualify on GD after not beating Serbia or Wales involves the Serbs not being able to score the requisite number at home to Georgia, which means we will be playing to win in any event.

There is the possibility of us qualifying on GD while not beating Wales, but chances are, it would go down to the end of the group were it to happen that way. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go to Cardiff 4 ahead of Wales and Austria, 2 ahead of Serbia, and with a GD advantage of +3 over Serbia, knowing a draw would possibly be enough, but I don't think it's going to happen, and it definitely wouldn't be comfortable if we were drawing 0-0 in Cardiff with ten minutes to go, and Serbia 2-0 up against Georgia.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 20 Jun 2017 at 5:29pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 6:45pm
Can we not just merge this with the group d thread?
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic