You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Only Fools And Horses Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 58>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Watching this last night. The episode where Rodney meets Lady Victoria Marsham Hayles and she brings him up to Berkshire.

This storyline doesn't make sense to me. In the episode Del Boy does everything he can for Rodney to impress her.  He gets him opera tickets and spends hundreds on getting Rodney kitted out in country hunting gear for his trip up to Berkshire.  Del says that her dad has probably told her to marry a scrag to water the old blue blood down and he thinks Rodney is in the frame.  So he goes to all this trouble to make it happen then arrives at the Mansion in Berkshire and makes a fool of Rodney in front of the nobility.  At the end of the episode he alludes that he did it on purpose because if Rodney ended up with Vicky the Special Branch would bunk Rodney off for having a criminal record.
If this was what he was thinking then why go to all the expense and bother buying 4 very expensive opera tickets, expensive clothes etc...ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

They were sourced through a shady character and mate of Del's, so no doubt he paid nowhere near full price. The clothes were probably knock off too! 

Del was blind drunk though, he has no class even when he's sober so it wasn't done out of badness on his part imo. Del just loves attention!

He no more did it on purpose either, Del made a show of himself and the family and was covering his back because Rodney is too dim to go any long period of time without thinking Del's word isn't anything but the gospel LOL

He bought the tickets off a tout Lukey Lionel.  As Albert said t''hey are going to cost you buying off him Del Boy'' and Del said ''what is money when it comes to rodney's happiness''.

Del and Rodney went to a hunting shop to buy the clothes and in the episode the snobby shop owner looks down upon them until Del produces a sh*t load of money and puts it down on the counter to pay for the clobber upon which the shopkeepers attitude totally changes towards them.

So he does go to a lot of expense.  
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 12:47pm
This episode is often regarded by fans as the worst of the series for the inconsistencies you've mentioned and also for how totally unlikable Del is in this episode, which again he isn't really in any other episode.

For me the only other episodes that were anyway near as bad as that one were the 1991 Christmas special double bill Miami Twice. In these episodes David Jason has the duel role of Del Trotter and a mafia godfather and there are almost no laughs at all in them.

The strange thing is they got David Jason to introduce the best 20 Only Fools and Horses episodes on UK gold a couple of years ago. During that they asked him what his favourite episodes was.He had a lot of classic episodes to pick from. He thought and said he had to pick two episodes ; the Miami Twice double bill! It was a terrible choice and I think it's his favourite just because he got to show off by using an an American accent and pretending to be Marlon Brando.

I suppose that's the essence of being an actor. Being a show off and an ego maniac. Smile

Edited by TonyNotJack - 03 Jun 2017 at 12:54pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

This episode is often regarded by fans as the worst of the series for the inconsistencies you've mentioned and also for how totally unlikable Del is in this episode, which again he isn't really in any other episode.

For me the only other episodes that were anyway near as bad as that one were the 1991 Christmas special double bill Miami Twice. In these episodes David Jason has the duel role of Del Trotter and a mafia godfather and there are almost no laughs at all in them.

The strange thing is they got David Jason to introduce the best 20 Only Fools and Horses episodes on UK gold a couple of years ago. During that they asked him what his favourite episodes was.He had a lot of classic episodes to pick from. He thought and said he had to pick two episodes ; the Miami Vice double bill! It was a terrible choice and I think it's his favourite just because he got to show off by using an an American accent and pretending to be Marlon Brando.

I suppose that's the essence of being an actor. Being a show off and an ego maniac. Smile

Absolute sh*te and the only episodes I won't watch Dead
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 12:54pm

Watching this last night. The episode where Rodney meets Lady Victoria Marsham Hayles and she brings him up to Berkshire.

This storyline doesn't make sense to me. In the episode Del Boy does everything he can for Rodney to impress her.  He gets him opera tickets and spends hundreds on getting Rodney kitted out in country hunting gear for his trip up to Berkshire.  Del says that her dad has probably told her to marry a scrag to water the old blue blood down and he thinks Rodney is in the frame.  So he goes to all this trouble to make it happen then arrives at the Mansion in Berkshire and makes a fool of Rodney in front of the nobility.  At the end of the episode he alludes that he did it on purpose because if Rodney ended up with Vicky the Special Branch would bunk Rodney off for having a criminal record.
If this was what he was thinking then why go to all the expense and bother buying 4 very expensive opera tickets, expensive clothes etc...ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

They were sourced through a shady character and mate of Del's, so no doubt he paid nowhere near full price. The clothes were probably knock off too! 

Del was blind drunk though, he has no class even when he's sober so it wasn't done out of badness on his part imo. Del just loves attention!

He no more did it on purpose either, Del made a show of himself and the family and was covering his back because Rodney is too dim to go any long period of time without thinking Del's word isn't anything but the gospel LOL

He bought the tickets off a tout Lukey Lionel.  As Albert said t''hey are going to cost you buying off him Del Boy'' and Del said ''what is money when it comes to rodney's happiness''.

Del and Rodney went to a hunting shop to buy the clothes and in the episode the snobby shop owner looks down upon them until Del produces a sh*t load of money and puts it down on the counter to pay for the clobber upon which the shopkeepers attitude totally changes towards them.

You definitely know with Del though that he got them for cheap or on a discounted price, the man is a chancer LOL

I can't remember that part at all and I've watched the episode countless times, my mind is gone blank 
LOL

One of my fav episodes is the fish trip, what a classic! 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 12:56pm

The strange thing is they got David Jason to introduce the best 20 Only Fools and Horses episodes on UK gold a couple of years ago. During that they asked him what his favourite episodes was.He had a lot of classic episodes to pick from. He thought and said he had to pick two episodes ; the Miami Vice double bill! It was a terrible choice and I think it's his favourite just because he got to show off by using an an American accent and pretending to be Marlon Brando.

+1 A complete cringefest.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

+1 A complete cringefest.

Anytime it comes on I just switch it off, it half angers me (sad I know) AngryLOL

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 1:11pm

You definitely know with Del though that he got them for cheap or on a discounted price, the man is a chancer LOL

I can't remember that part at all and I've watched the episode countless times, my mind is gone blank 
LOL

One of my fav episodes is the fish trip, what a classic! 

I didn't make it up!  Del boy walks in with Rodney and the snobby shopkeeper asks ''can I help you sir?''
Del: ''I want you to tart him up for a weekend in the country. You know the jacket, pants the whole  lot''
Shopkeeper:''And what is Sir's pleasure?''
Del: ''Birds and curry I suppose''

Goes along those lines.

Again its not a dodgy shop its a swanky joint in Saville row or somewhere and Del throws down a few hundred quid on the counter to foot the bill for it.

At the end of the episode he agrees a 1000 pound price to get rid of Rodney out of Vicky life which her dad offers to Rodney who refuses it. Del hints that he had to break them up or they would have bunked him off for his cannabis record.  Again makes no sense.

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 3:43pm
It's vintage Del in this episode. Ready when you are John. Great scene
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 5:08pm
Del gets the tickets off Lionel the tout and knowing dels character he probably didn't pay for them.He puts £500 down in the posh clothes shop for Rodneys gear.At that stage he thinks Rodney could marry her so its worth "investing" in him so he looks the part.

At the end he "negotiates" with the Lord for £1000 to get Rodney to walk away from his daughter.So he's £500 quid up on the whole thing and has drunk his lordship dry of his fanciest wine/champagne/brandy!

I think its a great episode and dont think del was being obnoxiously. Dont like the Miami episode at all
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

Del gets the tickets off Lionel the tout and knowing dels character he probably didn't pay for them.He puts £500 down in the posh clothes shop for Rodneys gear.At that stage he thinks Rodney could marry her so its worth "investing" in him so he looks the part.

At the end he "negotiates" with the Lord for £1000 to get Rodney to walk away from his daughter.So he's £500 quid up on the whole thing and has drunk his lordship dry of his fanciest wine/champagne/brandy!

I think its a great episode and dont think del was being obnoxiously. Dont like the Miami episode at all

Yeah but if had have acted decently Rodney had a chance.  Did he cock it up on purpose or accidentally? At the end its implied he acted boorishly on purpose to get a payday.

I still don't get that though because there was no guarantee of a payoff and if not he had cocked up Rodneys chances and was at least 500 quid down.

At the Opera he had 4 tickets for a show that was sold out and even her dad couldnt get tickets.

irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 8:03pm

Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

Yeah but if had have acted decently Rodney had a chance.  Did he cock it up on purpose or accidentally? At the end its implied he acted boorishly on purpose to get a payday.

I still don't get that though because there was no guarantee of a payoff and if not he had cocked up Rodneys chances and was at least 500 quid down.

At the Opera he had 4 tickets for a show that was sold out and even her dad couldnt get tickets.

Part of Del boy never wants him to let Rodney get ahead.Not because he doesn't love him but because he loves him so much.Del knows Rodney hasnt got a real chance with lady victoria.he knows her old boy wouldnt allow it.Del gave up everything to mind Rodney.One of the saddest OFAH scenes is del standing on his own after everyone has left rodneys wedding reception.Del acts that way at dinner to insure he can cut a deal.At the end of the meal he is legless but still knows he is winding the lord up "is that a da Vinci"!!😂

Its a really brilliant episode.

Edited by irelandshirts - 03 Jun 2017 at 8:04pm
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 8:16pm
Jesus 64 episodes (had to Google that) and people give out about 1 episode.
All time great programme, what made it great for me was all the brilliant supporting roles....Trigger....Boycie....Jim Broadbent as Roy Slater was class.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 8:24pm
Im not giving out. I love OFAH. Watched every episode countless times. This episode juat doesnt add up though. I still love watching it though. My favourite episodes are:

Del Boy playing Boycie at poker and looks like he has lost everything only to pull a fast one at the last minute to win over a grand.

I like the chain gang episode where Arnie pulls a stroke but ends up getting his cummupence.

The Mr.Rahm episode

Margate

I love the lot tbh

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 11:06am
Miami. And to hull and back. Are these the only episodes with no background laughing?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 11:09am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Miami. And to hull and back. Are these the only episodes with no background laughing?

Hull and Back is one of the best. 

Miami Twice not too good and every episode after 1996 was sh*te

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 1:10pm
I like Miami Twice,the only episode I don't like is the first one big brother! Plenty on uk gold today
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 11:51am
For me it really hit top form when Uncle Albert entered. Season 5-6 and the specials around that time are some of the best tv you'll see.

The Jolly Boys outing will always be my fave but Dates, Yuppy Love, The Chain Gang, Hull and Back, Time on our hands, Peckham Spring are utter class.

Watcha Dave!
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 11:54am
I only recently discovered that Newport County fans refer to their ground*, Rodney Parade, as Dave. I got a good kick out of that.

*I know it is owned by Newport RFC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 58>
  Share Topic