Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Man City Thread*******

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 343344345346347 509>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 1:56pm
They had faded a lot in that time though. I think Rijkaard left after a hiding from Real. Not saying it was a miraculous achievement, but still a lot of responsibility for a Barcelona man. He deserves more credit for that than anything that has followed.
Sponsored Links

eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

Don't see it happening, but in the unlikely event it does
Not winning the Champions League at Man City
Pep Guardiola - Success or Failure? 

Success, without a shadow of a doubt

Of course he'd be deemed a success.

Let me put it this way if Liverpool don't win the CL would you deem Klopp a failure?
Jurgen Klopp doesn't have the billions of a human rights-abusing petro-state behind him
Since 2006 Liverpool have spent 1.1Bn and man City 1.4BN. They both spent massive money. Would Liverpool be higher for the last season? 
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 2:00pm
In fairness he got rid of Ronaldinho and Deco and sorted out Eto’o and put Yaya back in his box. Promoted Pedro and Busquets from reserves. And man-managed Messi who’s best mate was Ronaldinho.

In the 4-0 thrashing by Madrid he admitted to listening to the players who wanted to play the German way.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Since 2006 Liverpool have spent 1.1Bn and man City 1.4BN. They both spent massive money. Would Liverpool be higher for the last season? 
Is that net ?

Selling your best player and replacing him is not really splashing the cash.

Liverpool received massive money for Torres, Alonso, Masher, Suarez and Coutinho.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 2:14pm
Guardiola has a shocking record in big away European ties

The only really big one he's won is away to Real Madrid in 2011

With Barcelona the only other away legs he won were a second leg dead rubber against Shakhtar Donetsk when they were 5-1 up after the first leg and against a sh*t Bayer Leverkusen team

He won one with Bayern against a hapless Arsenal team in 2014

The only away ties he has won with Manchester City are against Basel and Schalke 04 and even in the latter City were crap and could have lost

That's six away ties he's won out of 26, with 10 draws and 10 losses

He failed to beat:
Lyon 2009
Bayern Munich 2009
Chelsea 2009
Stuttgart 2010
Arsenal 2010 
Inter 2010 L 
Arsenal 2011 L
Milan 2012
Chelsea 2012 L
Manchester United 2014
Real Madrid 2014 L
Shakhtar Donetsk 2015
Porto 2015 L
Barcelona 2015 L
Juventus 2016
Benfica 2016
Atletico Madrid 2016 L
Monaco 2017 L
Liverpool 2018 L
Tottenham 2019 L

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 2:17pm
He also somehow contrived to lose when two goals and a man up at home to Chelsea in 2012. Still one of the craziest games/results of modern times in the CL.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 2:25pm
He had a shocking record at winning titles after being knocked out at the quarter final stages of the CL as well, remember that post from about a month ago Sid LOL
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

He also somehow contrived to lose when two goals and a man up at home to Chelsea in 2012. Still one of the craziest games/results of modern times in the CL.

The very thing that makes Guardiola so strong in league competitions - his relentless attacking system - makes him vulnerable in the Champions League

Champions League ties often become wars 

Guardiola's teams don't know how to fight wars because they so rarely do so in league games

In most games his teams win easily but when they face a team who won't roll over for the system, they don't know what to do except to do the same thing over and over and over again

If an opposition coach figures out what to do against Guardiola, his teams can't respond, and Guardiola is stumped

It's not a coincidence how when his teams fail they often concede a number of goals in a short time
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

In fairness he got rid of Ronaldinho and Deco and sorted out Eto’o and put Yaya back in his box. Promoted Pedro and Busquets from reserves. And man-managed Messi who’s best mate was Ronaldinho.

In the 4-0 thrashing by Madrid he admitted to listening to the players who wanted to play the German way.

He also promoted Thiago, Sergi Roberto and Rafinha whilst at Barca. I'm pretty sure that he signed Pique back also.  
El Puto Amo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I'm saying it: Pep has been a failure in the Champions League his entire career and the two times he won it was because of a combination of inheriting a team head and shoulders above the opposition, bald luck and searing injustice.

He's had more bad luck than good luck in the CL
El Puto Amo
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

Hopefully Pep is away to Juve. 

Thank f**k Clap 

f**k off out of Manchester Pep, Adios.

You seem to get confirmation midway through making that post that Pep is away LOL

Is Coyne your source?

Says the man who frequently links stories from the Daily Mail LOL
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I'm saying it: Pep has been a failure in the Champions League his entire career and the two times he won it was because of a combination of inheriting a team head and shoulders above the opposition, bald luck and searing injustice.

He's had more bad luck than good luck in the CL

Recency bias. The two he won were when he the gods of fortune shone on his in a ridiculous way.

Being knocked out on away goals by Monaco in the last 16 isn't bad luck. Being beaten 5-1 on aggregate against Barca with 31 minutes to go isn't bad luck (even if they did pull 2 back). Losing 4-0 in a first leg of a semi final against Real Madrid isn't bad luck. Losing 5-1 on aggregate against a team who you'd finished above in the league for each of the last eight seasons isn't bad luck. The only one that is bad luck is the Atletico Madrid one in 2016 and even then, he has to take some blame for the fact his Bayern side couldn't score in Madrid.

In contrast, the two times he won it, one was massively assisted by a totally undeserved red card against van Persie and an inexplicable miss from Lord Bendtner and the other was massively assisted by some of the most bizarre refereeing ever in the Chelsea semi final and a late, totally undeserved, winner.

I'll give credit for one proper bad luck miss though, and that's the 2010 semi final against Inter, when they dominated. The only reason they lost was the Eyjafjallajokull volcanic ash cloud meant they had to travel overnight by bus to Milan for the semi final and they lost 3-1 in the first leg, taking the lead then visibly tiring to concede twice in the second half. Then again, even that could have been avoided if they had taken the direct overnight Barcelona to Milan train (it wasn't cancelled til 2011 or 2012, iirc, and it was definitely running at the time). If they'd done that, maybe they would have got a better night's sleep and not faded so badly in the second half.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 22 May 2019 at 3:20pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 3:33pm

Losing 4-0 in a first leg of a semi final against Real Madrid isn't bad luck.
They lost the first leg 1-0 in Madrid despite having something like 70% possession

But they barely created a chance

Ramos got a couple of away goals from set pieces early on in the second leg and that was tie over
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 3:35pm

You don't think they were a tad unlucky against Spurs this year?

Against Chelsea in 2012, they had 72% possession, 22 attempts on goal and Messi missed a peno. 

I can see your viewpoint though. Guardiola has a tendency to overthink the big CL games sometimes which has blown up in his face. I found myself thinking that he should just pick the best XI and let them get on with it rather than trying to pull a rabbit out of the hat to surprise everyone. 

El Puto Amo
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 3:42pm
Not only is he the top manager in what is shaping up to be the best League in the world, but he has been a (the?) leading figure in making it the best League (see eg the effect of his laying down the gauntlet to Liverpool and the rest).

For not only has he done so by building by far the best team England has seen in 20 years (at least), but he's done so by implementing an ultra-modern style of possession, passing football which until recently, many people would have said could never take root in the English game.

Which in turn has caused almost all the other leading clubs to try to emulate it, whilst dinosaurs like Allardyce (England manager less than 3 years ago!), Pulis and Warnock have been relegated to the also-rans.

Which may turn out to be his greatest legacy if/when he does leave the EPL. 

Then compare that eg with The Special One's legacy after his three separate goes in England and tell me which is the greater manager of the two?

Edited by Territorial - 22 May 2019 at 3:44pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

You don't think they were a tad unlucky against Spurs this year?

Against Chelsea in 2012, they had 72% possession, 22 attempts on goal and Messi missed a peno. 

I can see your viewpoint though. Guardiola has a tendency to overthink the big CL games sometimes which has blown up in his face. I found myself thinking that he should just pick the best XI and let them get on with it rather than trying to pull a rabbit out of the hat to surprise everyone. 

I think I acknowledged that when I mentioned recency bias. I also said that "The third season [at City], much like the third season at Bayern, was the only one where you can make an argument that he came close."

He was unlucky against Spurs but equally you can argue that it should never have come to pass; City were and are the better side yet failed over both games against Spurs. The last minute goal being disallowed was unfortunate but the flip side is that with the team he had, and the team he was up against, it should never have come down to relying on a last minute goal.

On the Chelsea one, I'm not accepting that. Chelsea had four penalty decisions turned down, at least two of them stronger than 50/50, and despite all of Barcelona's possession, they only had one shot on target (from which they scored) and again it was a last minute goal.

Sid: sorry, you're right on the Real point, my bad.

Pep has had some bad luck but he had magical luck in one of the years he won, decent luck in the other and hasn't even made a final otherwise, despite the teams he has managed.

Pep: UCL: Uefa's Champion Loser.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 22 May 2019 at 3:51pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

For not only has he done so by building by far the best team England has seen in 20 years (at least), but he's done so by implementing an ultra-modern style of possession, passing football which until recently, many people would have said could never take root in the English game.

Which in turn has caused almost all the other leading clubs to try to emulate it, whilst dinosaurs like Allardyce (England manager less than 3 years ago!), Pulis and Warnock have been relegated to the also-rans.

You're spot on there Terence. Good post
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 3:57pm
Yup. I know that's not a reply to my post and it is on a totally different point but I do agree with it. He has made a massive difference to English football.

My point is simply that he continues to fail in Europe. Judged solely on that, even if ignoring domestic performance is an arbitrary exclusion, he has failed. But then again, what is his job at these clubs if not to succeed at the highest level?

Will he still be at City in three seasons if he hasn't won a Champions League? I'm not sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 343344345346347 509>
  Share Topic