You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taylor Gardner-Hickman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 12:12am
Attracting the attentions of PL clubs, and the English FA, according to John Fallon in the Irish Examiner.
Sponsored Links

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 1:02am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Attracting the attentions of PL clubs, and the English FA, according to John Fallon in the Irish Examiner.

His name didn't sound irish anyway 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 7:42am
Sounds like he has quite a limited link to Ireland (one grandparent) so I think he's one where if we get him great, but if he feels more English and they want him them hard to argue really.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 10:35pm
He no doubt feels more English as he is English. Rice and Grealish have shown our vulnerability on the granny rule so it is up to Kenny and those in charge to look at spotting talent early and tying good kids down early doors if the rules allow.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

He no doubt feels more English as he is English. Rice and Grealish have shown our vulnerability on the granny rule so it is up to Kenny and those in charge to look at spotting talent early and tying good kids down early doors if the rules allow.

Maybe he feels English and that and the fact he could be in his prime and has a chance of playing in the final stages of Euro 2028 in front of a home crowd in Wembley
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 4:29pm
Hard to see him sticking with us 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Hard to see him sticking with usĀ 

Why, he's got two of the best RBs in the PL who are 3 and 2 years older only. Has never been capped at underage by England and Max Aaron whose the current U21s RB has over 13k minutes in League games for Norwich.

Tino Livramento who starts for Southampton has played for the U21s this season along with Cody Drameh,and wouldn't be surprised to see Djed Spence whose being linked with Arsenal and Spurs called up this month for them.

He's probably got less chance of getting a game in midfield. If one cap for England means more to him than possibly 50+ for Ireland because he'll probably only get a handful at most with the talent available at their disposal.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 2:12am
Looks like this one can be moved to the rest of the world section.

Unfortunately it turns out he doesn't qualify for us.

Jim Crawford was on LOI central tonight and said when they went to do the paperwork he was a generation out with his great grandparents being Irish rather than his grandparents.

Massive shame.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 6:37am
That's happened a couple of times recently. Tommi O'Reilly from Aston Villa was in an under 19 squad and it turned out he didn't qualify either. Do these lads' parents not know where their own parents were born? Maybe it's more that they don't understand the eligibility rules and think any historic link to Ireland makes you eligible.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 8:31am
Is the onus not on the FAI to ensure that these lads are, in fact, eligible before calling them up and giving them squad places that could go to players who are actually Irish?

If you don't even know where your parents or grandparents were born, then the link is obviously not strong enough or important enough to them.

I don't know what I find harder to believe, that it would take this long for a person to find out whether they're eligible or not, or that the FAI continue to insist on embarrassing themselves in their trawl for any English player with an Irish link to play underage for us.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 09 Mar 2022 at 8:32am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 8:53am
In O'Reilly's case it was just an overseas training camp he came in for, think it was the one where we brought in loads of overseas players that we hadn't heard of before. He might not have been the only ineligible player in it. I don't think he'd have been called up to a proper squad without confirming his eligibility.

To be fair Gardner Hickman has never been called up. It sounds like a mistake from the parents who genuinely thought he had an Irish born grandparent, but it turned out he didn't, it was a great grandparent. A bit mad that they didn't know that to start with, but it seems that is what happened.

Edited by You Tell Me - 09 Mar 2022 at 9:12am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic