Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58044
Printed Date: 02 May 2024 at 2:27am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Taylor Gardner-Hickman
Posted By: Heimatklange
Subject: Taylor Gardner-Hickman
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 8:50pm
gets his debut for west brom playing left wing back.

Replies:
Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 8:54pm
What's the connection with Ireland? 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 9:02pm
Sounds like an insurance company

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

https://twitter.com/RepTracker/status/1455977139728273411" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/RepTracker/status/1455977139728273411

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 9:07pm
He must be one of the Ballyjamesduff Gardner-Hickmans.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 9:25pm
Sounds like he's playing quite well. Is overage for our under 19s so could only be called up to the under 21 squad if he is indeed eligible.

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Sounds like he's playing quite well. Is overage for our under 19s so could only be called up to the under 21 squad if he is indeed eligible.

Well he's definitely eligible seeing as he's played for us already.

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Willie O’Keane’s step brother.

Posted By: aviva8
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 10:25pm
He played really well. 

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Has he played in a competitive game for us? I can't find anything to say he has. If he has just been in camp with the under 19s or even played friendly games, that doesn't actually mean he's definitely eligible. There have been cases before where players have been involved in international camps but when it came to it couldn't provide the necessary paperwork.

Having said all that, he probably is eligible, I just don't think we can be 100% sure at this point.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 12:02pm
starts again today

Posted By: Bukowski
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Sounds like an insurance company

LOL

-------------
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

starts again today

He is bursting with pride and can't wait to play for the country.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 12:28pm
Playing in midfield too with Livermore and Molumby suspended.

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

starts again today

He is bursting with pride and can't wait to play for the country.
Team GB. Dressage or showjumping?

Posted By: greenshoots
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Playing in midfield too with Livermore and Molumby suspended.

Thats interesting. I know nothing about the lad but the fact he is trusted at such a young age to play CM too shows that the club have plenty of faith in him. Hopefully we can get him signed up!

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 5:01pm
Positive reports on him again today. Seems to be in the MoM conversation every game he plays.

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 9:41pm

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Has he played in a competitive game for us? I can't find anything to say he has. If he has just been in camp with the under 19s or even played friendly games, that doesn't actually mean he's definitely eligible. There have been cases before where players have been involved in international camps but when it came to it couldn't provide the necessary paperwork.

Having said all that, he probably is eligible, I just don't think we can be 100% sure at this point.

He has Irish grandparents, currently waiting for his Irish passport which has been delayed due to the backlog caused by the pandemic. 

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 9:46pm
he should be called up and tied down asap.

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 9:49pm

Positive reports on him again today. Seems to be in the MoM conversation every game he plays.
appears to have played left back today and was outstanding in the position from what I read. West Brom fans fearing already they'll lose him on the cheap to a bigger club. Could be a long term left back for Ireland if Southgate doesn't nab him first. 

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Greenie50
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

appears to have played left back today and was outstanding in the position from what I read. West Brom fans fearing already they'll lose him on the cheap to a bigger club. Could be a long term left back for Ireland if Southgate doesn't nab him first. 

This is what getting carried away looks like.

A handful of senior games for WBA, 1 game at LWB (he's a right sided player), & all of a sudden he could be Irelands starting LWB for years to come.

Put him with the U21s and let him settle in.

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

A handful of senior games for WBA, 1 game at LWB (he's a right sided player), & all of a sudden he could be Irelands starting LWB for years to come.

I think you missed the word 'could' Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: Greenie50
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 10:22pm

Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

I think you missed the word 'could' Embarrassed

No, I included it. LOL

Lets see how TGH does over an extended period of time.

Realistically Manning (in his 6th season in the Championship) is next in line for LWB.

And again, TGH is right footed. If he does join us he'll be used on the right anyway.

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 10:30pm
Probably won't be far from an England under 21 call up if he keeps up this form. Currently without an Irish passport meaning he's eligible for them and not for us, so not hard to imagine he'd accept an England call up if it came along.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 10:53pm
I don;t think we have ever had a double barrel name play for The EIRE

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 11:03pm
Young-Doherty.

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 11:15pm
F**king-McShane

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Young-Doherty.

LOL

Yes I forgot him

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

You're right, we havent!

..and another guff stat, Omobamidele has the longest surname to have played for Ireland.

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 12:38am

he should be called up and tied down asap.

It's not that simple. Unless we kidnap him and force him to play under duress. 

If he's potentially good enough for England, he'll be happy to truck along in our U21 team for the time being while he assesses his options.

He's not going to come on for the last kick of a competitive game to tie down his entire intl future just because it's beneficial to us.

Not to mention, this kind of talk cheapens the integrity of a cap. They should be given on merit, and whoever wants to play for us, will find their way into our team if they've earned it and want to represent us with their heart and soul.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 8:01am
Omobamidele does not have the longest surname of capped Irish players. That accolade surely belongs to St Ledger-Hall.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 9:22am

Omobamidele does not have the longest surname of capped Irish players. That accolade surely belongs to St Ledger-Hall.

Olamide Oluwatimilehin Babatunde Oluwaka Shodipo

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 10:03am

Probably won't be far from an England under 21 call up if he keeps up this form. Currently without an Irish passport meaning he's eligible for them and not for us, so not hard to imagine he'd accept an England call up if it came along.

Any dual national RB would be wise to explore his options as he ain't getting near that RB spot unless he's a top class player.

He would make a good back up option for their U21s given his versitility. Max Aarons is their current RB and TGH is two days overage for the next campaign.

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

You're right, we havent!

..and another guff stat, Omobamidele has the longest surname to have played for Ireland.
With 11 letters, it's the joint longest with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Fitzpatrick_%28Irish_footballer%29" rel="nofollow - Kevin Fitzpatrick and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Farquharson" rel="nofollow - Tom Farquharson
And, if we're counting apostrophes, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_OCallaghan" rel="nofollow - Brendan O'Callaghan and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_OCallaghan" rel="nofollow - Kevin O'Callaghan

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 10:47am

Nearly had one with St. Ledger in that name itself but his full name is St. Ledger - Hall

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 1:31pm
Which is also 12 letters, 13 if you count the hyphen, either way the longest surname as well as the only double-barrelled one ?

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 12:12am
Attracting the attentions of PL clubs, and the English FA, according to John Fallon in the Irish Examiner.

-------------

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 1:02am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Attracting the attentions of PL clubs, and the English FA, according to John Fallon in the Irish Examiner.

His name didn't sound irish anyway 

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 7:42am
Sounds like he has quite a limited link to Ireland (one grandparent) so I think he's one where if we get him great, but if he feels more English and they want him them hard to argue really.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 10:35pm
He no doubt feels more English as he is English. Rice and Grealish have shown our vulnerability on the granny rule so it is up to Kenny and those in charge to look at spotting talent early and tying good kids down early doors if the rules allow.

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 12:43am

He no doubt feels more English as he is English. Rice and Grealish have shown our vulnerability on the granny rule so it is up to Kenny and those in charge to look at spotting talent early and tying good kids down early doors if the rules allow.

Maybe he feels English and that and the fact he could be in his prime and has a chance of playing in the final stages of Euro 2028 in front of a home crowd in Wembley

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 4:29pm
Hard to see him sticking with us 

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Hard to see him sticking with us 

Why, he's got two of the best RBs in the PL who are 3 and 2 years older only. Has never been capped at underage by England and Max Aaron whose the current U21s RB has over 13k minutes in League games for Norwich.

Tino Livramento who starts for Southampton has played for the U21s this season along with Cody Drameh,and wouldn't be surprised to see Djed Spence whose being linked with Arsenal and Spurs called up this month for them.

He's probably got less chance of getting a game in midfield. If one cap for England means more to him than possibly 50+ for Ireland because he'll probably only get a handful at most with the talent available at their disposal.

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 2:12am
Looks like this one can be moved to the rest of the world section.

Unfortunately it turns out he doesn't qualify for us.

Jim Crawford was on LOI central tonight and said when they went to do the paperwork he was a generation out with his great grandparents being Irish rather than his grandparents.

Massive shame.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 6:37am
That's happened a couple of times recently. Tommi O'Reilly from Aston Villa was in an under 19 squad and it turned out he didn't qualify either. Do these lads' parents not know where their own parents were born? Maybe it's more that they don't understand the eligibility rules and think any historic link to Ireland makes you eligible.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 8:31am
Is the onus not on the FAI to ensure that these lads are, in fact, eligible before calling them up and giving them squad places that could go to players who are actually Irish?

If you don't even know where your parents or grandparents were born, then the link is obviously not strong enough or important enough to them.

I don't know what I find harder to believe, that it would take this long for a person to find out whether they're eligible or not, or that the FAI continue to insist on embarrassing themselves in their trawl for any English player with an Irish link to play underage for us.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 8:53am
In O'Reilly's case it was just an overseas training camp he came in for, think it was the one where we brought in loads of overseas players that we hadn't heard of before. He might not have been the only ineligible player in it. I don't think he'd have been called up to a proper squad without confirming his eligibility.

To be fair Gardner Hickman has never been called up. It sounds like a mistake from the parents who genuinely thought he had an Irish born grandparent, but it turned out he didn't, it was a great grandparent. A bit mad that they didn't know that to start with, but it seems that is what happened.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net