You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 66>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:20am
Cool. If you have that much time, then you may as well head into Zurich earlier anyway, so there's little enough convenience on getting on the same train direct from the airport to Geneva.... and given that there is no saving to being on a direct train and given that airport prices are more expensive than city centre prices, even in Zurich, it probably makes sense to go into Zurich city centre for a while.

I went to a place called Zeughauskeller is Zurich when I was there. It was a bit touristy but still kinda cool. It wasn't madly expensive at least by Zurich prices. It looks traditional at least. If you have more time, you could go to the FIFA World Football museum too. I enjoyed it, even if the Italia 90 mug I bought got smashed by the f**king dogs two weeks later.
Sponsored Links

Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 8:12am
https://hallyink.com/products/ciao-mug

Here you go mate, get yourself a replacement mug.
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:25pm
LOLLOL
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 9:08am
And only £12.50 - Bargain! LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 9:26am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

And only £12.50 - Bargain! LOL

Reflects Swise prices quite well I thought.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 11:33am
Cheapest/most straight forward way home from this game on 16th?

The direct flights are a massive price now?
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 11:47am
Geneva to Manchester Easyjet - GBP £51

Dep 14.15
Arr 15.05

Manchester to Dublin Ryanair - GBP £26

Dep 17.35
Arr 18.40

Edited by Roberto_Carlow - 04 May 2019 at 11:48am
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 11:59am
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Cheapest/most straight forward way home from this game on 16th?

The direct flights are a massive price now?

Geneva - gatwick - dublin on the 16th can be done for €62. Leaving geneva at 7:00am with easyjey and then the 8:50am ryanair flight to dublin
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Geneva to Manchester Easyjet - GBP £51

Dep 14.15
Arr 15.05

Manchester to Dublin Ryanair - GBP £26

Dep 17.35
Arr 18.40

Think i'll go with that option.Dont fancy the 7am flights .

manchester airport security can be a bit of a nightmare but 2hr30 between should be ok ?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 2:27pm
Geneva to Amsterdam Easyjet CHF44.42 / about €39

Dep 15.15
Arr 16.50

Amsterdam to Dublin Ryanair €30.59

Dep 18.35
Arr 19.15

That option is marginally cheaper than the one above. However, there are two downsides to it: the first is that the transfer time is shorter, even though Schiphol is a good airport for connecting. That can be overcome if you book a later flight to Dublin, although then you lose the benefit of the shorter time, and it is in fact two hours longer. The second downside is practical: it is a non-UK connection. If you miss a connecting flight in the UK, there is always the option of sail-rail to get back home for about £40, from anywhere, including Manchester Airport. Indeed, even if the first flight is heavily delayed, you can leave Manchester Airport at 21:32, and still be back in Dublin for the following morning, with changes in Chester and Holyhead. I'm not saying it's ideal, just that flying through the UK always has that as a covering plan.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:43am
Thanks for that SD.
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 11:34am
Where and how is the cheapest way to book a Geneva - Zurich airport train at the moment? Flight home is from Zurich
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

Where and how is the cheapest way to book a Geneva - Zurich airport train at the moment? Flight home is from Zurich

What time is your flight and I'll have a look.

There are direct trains and tickets for them will go on sale 60 days in advance on sbb.ch but you may be able to book cheaper by splitting the ticket and booking a train to Germany via Zurich but just not taking the Zurich to Germany bit, then buying a separate Zurich HB to Zurich Airport ticket.
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

There are direct trains and tickets for them will go on sale 60 days in advance on sbb.ch but you may be able to book cheaper by splitting the ticket and booking a train to Germany via Zurich but just not taking the Zurich to Germany bit, then buying a separate Zurich HB to Zurich Airport ticket.

It's 12.50pm from Zurich on Wed 16th.

Yea, I saw your suggestion with Germany earlier on in the thread, does it matter where in Germany you choose as your destination?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 2:27pm
Freiburg via Zurich on bahn.com should work.

I'm just starting a meeting in work now but I'll send you a link later that should work and get a train that actually continues to the airport in Zurich. Some of the Geneva to Zurich HB trains continue to St Gallen via the airport and it's one of those you want to be on, albeit you will have two separate tickets, one from Geneva to Zurich (well, to Freiburg) and one from Zurich HB to Zurich Airport.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 6:42pm

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

It's 12.50pm from Zurich on Wed 16th.

Yea, I saw your suggestion with Germany earlier on in the thread, does it matter where in Germany you choose as your destination?

https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?ld=39153&protocol=https:&seqnr=1&ident=in.028277153.1557942284&rt=1&OK#focus

Try that link, it should work. If it doesn't, just amend it to include a stopover in "Zurich Main Station"

What you want is a ticket from Geneva to Freiburg (Bresgau) and (most importantly) via Zurich HB, departing Geneva at 07:42 on the direct train to St Gallen, which goes Zurich HB and Zurich Airport.

If you see a ticket for €19.90 that includes Geneva to Zurich HB direct on the 07:42 departure, then you're basically golden. The departures at xx:42 from Geneva basically all seem to go on direct to St Gallen via Zurich Airport.

You will then need an extra ticket for the Zurich HB to Zurich Airport part - you can only buy that from 60 days out, online at sbb.ch. That'll be a fixed price of 6.80 CHF. You can print that at home, just like the first ticket, then take both with you and show them on the train. 6.80 CHF for a nine minute journey is steep, but no one ever said Switzerland was cheap. It's not 3.40 CHF so deselect the half fare travelcard discount when booking the Swiss train tickets. I would guess you can also buy that particular ticket at the station in Geneva or possibly even on board the train in Switzerland but it is probably best not to risk it and just get it now. Hell, the odds on the ticket being inspected on the nine minute section from Zurich HB to the Airport are slim, but I definitely wouldn't risk that.

Of course, you can just wait until 60 days out, and buy one single ticket from Geneve to Zurich Airport on sbb.ch, likely only for few euro more but with a fair bit less hassle - up to yourself. But to give you an example: looking at that journey right now for Wednesday 10 July and the ticket is 52 CHF, which is €46, so it could save as much as €20 if you book the way I suggest above. And more is the point, you know right now that the price won't go up for the Zurich HB to Zurich Airport bit, and if it does, it'll only be a matter of cents.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 15 May 2019 at 6:45pm
Guf10 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
...fond of the jar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guf10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:07pm
Cheers for that info SD. On the Aer Lingus 11.15 from Zurich morning after the game
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:01pm
The 05:42 train it is for you then (well, you'll likely be grand on the 06:42 - Swiss trains, unlike German ones, actually do tend to run like clockwork).

Edited by SuperDave84 - 15 May 2019 at 10:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 66>
  Share Topic