Posted By: nvidic
Subject: Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:17am
As it says on the tin.

Replies:
Posted By: LO SCIENZIATO
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:29am
booked up for this. 

Direct Flight from Cork to Zurich on Monday and then back on Wednesday (decent flight times also for both legs). will get train from Zurich to Basel which takes about a hour on matchday. train station next to stadium. Train back from Basel to Zurich at 23.13 or 00.13 

expensive spot but looking forward to a different city on tour Clap 

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 10:36am
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

booked up for this. 

Direct Flight from Cork to Zurich on Monday and then back on Wednesday (decent flight times also for both legs). will get train from Zurich to Basel which takes about a hour on matchday. train station next to stadium. Train back from Basel to Zurich at 23.13 or 00.13 

That's the good thing about this trip - plenty of options for getting there and back. Thumbs Up

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: PaulB
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 11:10am

booked up for this. 

Is the match confirmed to be played in Basel?

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 11:18am
No, nothing is confirmed. 

Flights booked as well. Never been to Switzerland. 

Posted By: wanderer
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 11:19am
You'd imagine it'll be in Basel given they would expect a decent crowd for it 

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 11:20am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

booked up for this. 

nope but with transport being so easy in Switz basing yourself in Zurich will give you the option to travel anywhere. i think the game will be in Basel though as it holds the most 

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 11:56am

Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

booked up for this. 

nope but with transport being so easy in Switz basing yourself in Zurich will give you the option to travel anywhere. i think the game will be in Basel though as it holds the most 
If they have seen any of our matches for the past decade they could play it in Heidi's village!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:45pm
LOL

Posted By: JamieRed
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:36pm
hopefully not in basel , been there done that , crap 2-0 loss and clinto 1-1 

-------------
Peter Schmeichel will be like a father figure to Kasper Schmeichel.

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:13pm
Booked Pegasus from Tbilisi to Zurich on Sunday 13th. Poxy early flight but they always seem to be.
That flight was €105 one way last night.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Posted By: RobsYourUncle
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 10:12pm
Just booked this, hoping Denmark in June and the 2 NL trips are enough to get me over the line for a ticket. If things are going well going into the last few games can see there being a bit of a scramble for this.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by RobsYourUncle RobsYourUncle wrote:

Just booked this, hoping Denmark in June and the 2 NL trips are enough to get me over the line for a ticket. If things are going well going into the last few games can see there being a bit of a scramble for this.
All depends really but you could be tight enough there. Hopefully being a Tuesday helps ticket wise 

Posted By: belt
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 10:32pm
Have booked this for the Mon to Wed. Flying in to Zurich.

Posted By: Beavis
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by JamieRed JamieRed wrote:

hopefully not in basel , been there done that , crap 2-0 loss and clinto 1-1 

Second one was great trip I thought. Not bad town at all, nice bridge/frontage on the Rhine IIRC.

Posted By: willmcc83
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 1:51pm
Booked the Ryanair flight to Basel on the day of the game

-------------
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team

Posted By: Eire182
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 9:16pm
Dublin to zurich booked with aer lingus on sunday night after the fixtures were confirmed 145euro. basel or berne are only an hour from zurich by train.travelling Monday-Wednesday

Posted By: Jock
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 1:56pm
Any rough idea when we can expect venue to be announced?

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

Any rough idea when we can expect venue to be announced?

Should be tomorrow by all accounts 

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 2:52pm
iirc I saw somewhere the Swiss FA responded to a tweet to them saying they intended to announce the venue 4 months before the game.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: superp
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 3:21pm
Flight into basel morning of game dublin-munich- basel returning thursday 180€ with lufthansa.good value

-------------
irish to the core

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 3:50pm
Dublin-Frankfurt-Basel is a handy and cheap route.

Have a lovely apartment booked (Free cancellation) for Basel 13th-16th at a decent price so hopefully the match is played here.

Posted By: jeffhendrickshair
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:07am
Confirmed to be played in Geneva.

https://www.lematin.ch/ss/football/suisseeire-stade-geneve/story/28632077 - https://www.lematin.ch/sports/football/suisseeire-stade-geneve/story/28632077

Posted By: hoover
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:53am
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Booked the Ryanair flight to Basel on the day of the game

Same. Late flight out of Zurich the following day.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by jeffhendrickshair jeffhendrickshair wrote:

https://www.lematin.ch/ss/football/suisseeire-stade-geneve/story/28632077 - https://www.lematin.ch/sports/football/suisseeire-stade-geneve/story/28632077

some messing around with a train journey back to Zurich after the game or 5am the next morning LOL

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by jeffhendrickshair jeffhendrickshair wrote:

https://www.lematin.ch/ss/football/suisseeire-stade-geneve/story/28632077" rel="nofollow - https://www.lematin.ch/ss/football/suisseeire-stade-geneve/story/28632077 - https://www.lematin.ch/sports/football/suisseeire-stade-geneve/story/28632077" rel="nofollow - https://www.lematin.ch/sports/football/suisseeire-stade-geneve/story/28632077

Wouldn't say it was confirmed, it's just one source, FAI hadn't heard anything as of last night.

Personally wouldn't book anything based on that just yet.

Posted By: belt
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 2:51pm
Balls if it is Geneva, have booked Zurich which is only 1 hour train from Basel but nearly 3 from Geneva. 12 o'clock flight home the day after the game so will be an extra early start......
8,000 lower capacity in Geneva too.....

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 2:53pm
Geneva could put alot off traveling in terms of plans already made etc. It'll also make tickets more difficult for anyone who was planning it as a first away game, at a push we might get maybe 2k tickets i would guess 

Posted By: Adobolo
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 3:14pm
we've booked to fly to zuric and not flying home until 9pm day after the game so don't mind where it is but prefer Basel.  

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 3:16pm
As has been said though there's only one source for this story and it doesn't appear to have been carried in any other worthwhile outlet so let's wait and see. It would be madness not to have it in Basel. Full house 38k

Posted By: Adobolo
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Adobolo Adobolo wrote:

we've booked to fly to zuric and not flying home until 9pm day after the game so don't mind where it is but prefer Basel.  
Just had a look at hotels in Geneva, they have notions about themselves, average about €400 for two midweek nights in October!!! 

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 3:22pm
The article lays out criticism of the Swiss FA for not giving Geneva a big qualifier in recent years... instead they have only hosted diddy teams. The last time they played in Geneva was against Latvia in 2017.

As has been pointed out, there is only one source. I would hold fire until its officially confirmed. The Swiss FA website says in an article announcing Basel as the venue for the Denmark match in March that the other venues will be announced approx. 4 months in advance.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Darraghn92
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 3:25pm
Only 90 odd mins away from Lyon as well if the accommodation there was too expensive

Posted By: RobsYourUncle
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 4:07pm
https://twitter.com/SFV_ASF/status/1071027058002796544" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/SFV_ASF/status/1071027058002796544

They've confirmed their home game v Denmark for Basel anyway. Would indicate our game won't be there if they are sharing the games around..

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by RobsYourUncle RobsYourUncle wrote:

https://twitter.com/SFV_ASF/status/1071027058002796544" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/SFV_ASF/status/1071027058002796544

They've confirmed their home game v Denmark for Basel anyway. Would indicate our game won't be there if they are sharing the games around..
Yeah that's mentioned above but they also say no venue confirmed for the other games and they've played in Basel multiple times in a campaign. If it was confirmed I think you'd have more than 1 source which seems to be a small time outlet reporting it. Also seems to have a gripe with the Swiss FA.
Could see them playing Georgia and Gibraltar in different grounds but 2 games us and Denmark in Basel makes sense 

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 4:25pm
I'm bolloxed if this is in Geneva. Booked home through Zurich leaving at 9am. Not sure how I'll make that. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 4:31pm
We had a 3 hour train journey from Aarhus to Copenhagen for a 10.15am flight morning after game. Early train and head town!

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

We had a 3 hour train journey from Aarhus to Copenhagen for a 10.15am flight morning after game. Early train and head town!

yeah I was on the 4:10am train out of Aarhus. I don't see a train leaving early enough to give sufficient time to get to the airport for a 9am flight though. Really hope the game is held somewhere else!

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: VanBosch
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

yeah I was on the 4:10am train out of Aarhus. I don't see a train leaving early enough to give sufficient time to get to the airport for a 9am flight though. Really hope the game is held somewhere else!

Skip the beer and hire a car!!

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:07pm
Have booked a room in Geneva on free cancellation just in case. In Milan the night before so ok to get a train from their to Geneva on match day if the game played their train takes just under 4 hours

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:22pm

The only way of getting to Zurich at that time is getting the first flight from Geneva to Zurich, currently 96 Euro with SwissAir. 
You can get a train, but it involves a three hour stopover in Biel in the middle of the night.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The only way of getting to Zurich at that time is getting the first flight from Geneva to Zurich, currently 96 Euro with SwissAir. 
You can get a train, but it involves a three hour stopover in Biel in the middle of the night.

Yeah it could be easier to just book a new flight or plead with Swiss Air to allow me change the time and pay a few bob for the pleasure. 

Or as Ringerbell says, maybe car hire might be the shout. Hopefully the quality of football is better than we've been getting and the beer anesthetic is not required.

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:33pm
Booked return flights to Geneva.

They better be there! - Berne would't be too bad either.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Booked return flights to Geneva.

They better be there! - Berne would't be too bad either.

The article says Berne is not popular with the manager due to its plastic pitch. It may not get any games.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:37pm
I'd hold off on booking anything. We've no confirmation that it's here. Most booked Zurich with decent flight times as it's easy to get anywhere from Zurich except if you've flights early in the morning. 

There are afternoon flights to Dublin with Swiss air 

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:39pm
You can get a flight from Geneva to Dublin for cheaper than the flight to Zurich, at five in the evening too, with AerLingus. Might be easier to cut the losses.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:40pm

You can get a flight from Geneva to Dublin for cheaper than the flight to Zurich, at five in the evening too, with AerLingus. Might be easier to cut the losses.

And then if it's not in Geneva LOL

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

And then if it's not in Geneva LOL
Sure he would have nearly everywhere covered with those two! Maybe throw in a flight from Milan too.

-------------

Posted By: Scamper
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:46pm
The amount of lads who just panic and book a flight for the sake of it. ye must have money to burn ffsLOL 

wait till confirmation and book then. it's not rocket science

-------------
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:47pm
I wouldn't be panicing yet , really don't fancy a 3 hr  train after an 8 hour flight so hoping for Basel

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: forza trapp
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:57pm
I love how the stress and panic can move from Gibraltar to Switzerland in the space of a minute 😳

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 6:00pm
The games not for 10 months away yet no need to panic book flights till the venue in confirmed.

If those people that are doing the double header get a flight from Georgia to Switzerland or surrounding areas on the Sunday/Monday they be able to get to other possible venues for match day and then book a flight home once venue is confirmed

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Scamper Scamper wrote:

The amount of lads who just panic and book a flight for the sake of it. ye must have money to burn ffsLOL 

Maybe, just maybe lads book flights because they are cheap. Switzerland is small, there should be no panic no matter where you booked if you gave yourself enough time. 

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Maybe, just maybe lads book flights because they are cheap. Switzerland is small, there should be no panic no matter where you booked if you gave yourself enough time. 

Exactly it has one of the best train networks in Europe, doesn't really matter where you fly to.

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:18pm
Very true.

Just looking at trains there and you can get a train from Geneva to Basle for approx 21e and will take approx 2 hours 45 mins.

It's unlikely to be in Basel since the Denmark game is there.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:35pm

Very true.

Just looking at trains there and you can get a train from Geneva to Basle for approx 21e and will take approx 2 hours 45 mins.

Could well still be in Basel. They have 2 other games they can move around the country with. Nowhere else has carried this story bar some Swiss site. No Irish media running it

Posted By: Colum
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:37pm
Lovely city but very expensive and zero craic. Which could sum up any Swiss city to be fair. Hope it's not there.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Very true.

Could well still be in Basel. They have 2 other games they can move around the country with. Nowhere else has carried this story bar some Swiss site. No Irish media running it

Anything is possible.

I've an early flight over and a late flight back. f**k it, it's booked now anyway.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Missy
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 10:08pm
There will be enough to run a bus down with the amount of people arriving  between 11 and 1.30 

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 12:43am

I'm bolloxed if this is in Geneva. Booked home through Zurich leaving at 9am. Not sure how I'll make that. 

On that flight too, not too much craic if it is Geneva 

Posted By: foggy.nelson
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 9:20am

Seem to recall a flight to Copenhagen that was booked before the announcement of aarhus, was that rocket science 

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Seem to recall a flight to Copenhagen that was booked before the announcement of aarhus, was that rocket science 

Haha I was wondering when u would pop up. That was a one off I don't think anyone was expecting that. I was talking about countries that have 3 or 4 possible venues and just taking a chance.

-------------

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 12:59pm
Making those mistakes, taking a few gambles, and then trying to find yer way out of them at the lowest possible cost, is all part of being an away fan. If tis organised stuff with everything confirmed you are looking for, then give Abbey a shout. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 1:12pm
edit: Wrong thread....

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Making those mistakes, taking a few gambles, and then trying to find yer way out of them at the lowest possible cost, is all part of being an away fan. If tis organised stuff with everything confirmed you are looking for, then give Abbey a shout.

Exactly. It makes sense to book a flight now for €50 if there's a 50/50 chance of the game being there, as opposed to waiting for final confirmation and having to pay €150 for the same flight. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but in the long run you usually end up saving money.

I'd have saved money on my Malaga flights if I'd booked them quicker.

-------------

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 1:49pm
I agree with finding cheap and decent routes is all part of the fun of being an away fan. In fairness with the help of some of the lads on here we have found some cracking routes. The likes of Tuzla, Iassi and Kutasi spring to mind. 

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: The Boy Z
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 9:28pm
It's Geneva according to reports over there.

Search Tribune de Geneve on Facebook. 

They posted on Friday that our match is there.

-------------
Theres only one sport that matters..

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

It's Geneva according to reports over there.

Search Tribune de Geneve on Facebook. 

They posted on Friday that our match is there.
It's a copy and paste of the original article though and nobody else has picked up on it. You would have expected Irish media to report it if the case. Wait and see

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 11:03am
Geneva would be grand. 

Makes the travel back from Georgia a little easier as well. There's a direct flight to Paris on Sunday evening and then get the TGV down to Geneva. 

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 1:53pm
If it is Geneva looking at places nearby and then train.

Lyon? Turin? Basel?

Super Dave where are you?

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:07pm
I've flights booked for Zurich, can change accommodation no bother. Flights are at a decent time so train to Geneva, an added 3 hours but oh well

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Lyon? Turin? Basel?

There is a direct train from Lyon to Geneva - Takes about 2 hours. Flew back from Geneva after Euro 2016 and took it 

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:10pm
You can fly from Dublin to Geneva

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Lyon? Turin? Basel?

There is a direct train from Lyon to Geneva - Takes about 2 hours. Flew back from Geneva after Euro 2016 and took it 

Was looking there looks like that could be the best option. Train also appears to go from Milan to Geneva going via the the Alps and around the lake seems delightful does take 4 hours would be some great views unless majority of it is via an under mountain tunnel

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:12pm

That you can but of course that is bound to go from a nice reasonable price to overblown as soon as an official announcement is made.

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:16pm
There's a town on the French side of Lake Geneva called Yvoire, it's a stop on the ferry. One of the most beautiful places I have been. Well worth it and shouldn't be too busy at that time of the year.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:19pm

That you can but of course that is bound to go from a nice reasonable price to overblown as soon as an official announcement is made.
True. London prices don't get as affected though. I won't be booking for a few months anyway! Switzerland isn't a bad spot to travel to due to being so central, I wouldn't panic.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:27pm

There's a town on the French side of Lake Geneva called Yvoire, it's a stop on the ferry. One of the most beautiful places I have been. Well worth it and shouldn't be too busy at that time of the year.

Or Lac Léman as the French would say

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:35pm
We'll know 4 months before according to the Swiss fa when they announced the Denmark game 

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:55pm
the good thing also about Geneva is that is just across the lake from Montreux which any Queen fan is a must visit place

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:57pm
Near Annecy too. Some really beautiful places nearby.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:58pm

Lyon? Turin? Basel?

Was looking there looks like that could be the best option. Train also appears to go from Milan to Geneva going via the the Alps and around the lake seems delightful does take 4 hours would be some great views unless majority of it is via an under mountain tunnel

Only the 12 mile long Simplon tunnel which takes 8 minutes of the (roughly) 4 hour journey (I just checked this out because I'm going to go the same way). Aside from a few other short tunnels, it should be a scenic enough ride. The train itself is a decent, new enough Italian high speed train.

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/etr610.htm" rel="nofollow - https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/etr610.htm

It looks plenty scenic. If you arrive in Milan on Sunday (as opposed to Monday on the Kutaisi - Milan flight) and you want extra scenery, follow ColemanY2K's lead and look at the Bernina pass route. I've done that before and it is spectacular. However, you can't go that way and make Geneva in time for kick off if you only leave Milan on Tuesday morning, unless you fancy a very early start (06:20), a few tight connections (8 minutes in Tirano, 51 minutes in St Moritz, 6 minutes in Chur and 9 minutes in Zurich which is a massive station) and arriving in Geneva at 18:18 on matchday at the earliest, assuming you make all those connections.

The direct 12:23 train from Milan arrives at 16:21 which is, no doubt, the option I'll be taking.

-------------

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:20pm
Check out hotels just across the border in France.  Few hotels right on the France/Swiss border at the airport, and also at the opposite end in Gaillard like the Geneva Residence. Half the price per night, and only a taxi ride away from the centre. 

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:21pm
Switzerland is Schengen. So you can just walk across the border. No actual checks. 

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 6:43am

Lyon? Turin? Basel?

Unless they changed it, it does go along the lake and is some view. 

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 7:30am
Anyone with a bit of time on their hands is recommended to take the train between Lucerne and Interlaken. It can be incorporated into folks intinerary by those traveling from Zurich to Geneva and even those traveling Basle to Geneva (and in reverse). It's absolutely spectacular. Some of the carriages on the line have panoramic windows. The views are breathtaking.

It is known as the Golden Pass line 

-------------

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 8:54am
Been to interlaken myself many years ago now, savage scenery is an understatement.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 9:12am
Loads of cool tips here. Once venue is announced I can get planning. 

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 10:59am

Loads of cool tips here. Once venue is announced I can get planning
Presuming it's a toss-up between Basel and Geneva, I've already made a start and hedged my bets by booking a £30 flight from Dublin to Paris Orly the day before the match.  Trains from Paris to either of those cities take about 3 hours and go on sale 4 months in advance, at which stage the Swiss should have confirmed the venue.

I'll probably leave it until the venue is confirmed before I start booking a route home. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:12am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Presuming it's a toss-up between Basel and Geneva, I've already made a start and hedged my bets by booking a £30 flight from Dublin to Paris Orly the day before the match.  Trains from Paris to either of those cities take about 3 hours and go on sale 4 months in advance, at which stage the Swiss should have confirmed the venue.

I'll probably leave it until the venue is confirmed before I start booking a route home. 

Sure the direct flight to Geneva on the Monday is only €50

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:31am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

I considered that and knew that would be great - if we could be absolutely sure the game will be played there. But if it turns out to be in Basel (which actually wouldn't surprise me considering the matches they've played elsewhere have usually been against smaller teams which would attract less demand whereas this game could be a key match at the business end of the campaign), then I'd have to get a train anyway.  That's why I hedged my bets for this trip.

-------------

Posted By: cardwizzard
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 7:05pm

I considered that and knew that would be great - if we could be absolutely sure the game will be played there. But if it turns out to be in Basel (which actually wouldn't surprise me considering the matches they've played elsewhere have usually been against smaller teams which would attract less demand whereas this game could be a key match at the business end of the campaign), then I'd have to get a train anyway.  That's why I hedged my bets for this trip.

Conor, why not just book the flight to Geneva? If it's Basel, train it up.  Don't understand your logic...

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 7:44pm
LOL

These threads...

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:03pm
No one else noted the difference between kearney304's comments on this thread and the Gibraltar thread?

Seems a bit incongruous to be cool with driving 400km from Faro to Gibraltar on a minibus, but unwilling to book flights for the Swiss game, especially when there are multiple locations you can fly to from Cork and Dublin that connect easily with any of the venues in Switzerland.

Just me? No?

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

No one else noted the difference between kearney304's comments on this thread and the Gibraltar thread?

Seems a bit incongruous to be cool with driving 400km from Faro to Gibraltar on a minibus, but unwilling to book flights for the Swiss game, especially when there are multiple locations you can fly to from Cork and Dublin that connect easily with any of the venues in Switzerland.

Just me? No?
LOL

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Just me? No?

LOL

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:36pm
LOL

-------------

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:32am
LOLLOLLOL

Posted By: cardwizzard
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:41am
LOLLOL

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 9:22am
Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

Conor, why not just book the flight to Geneva? If it's Basel, train it up.  Don't understand your logic...
Took your hint and booked that Swiss Airlines flight to Geneva.  At least if the game is in Basel, it would be a much shorter train journey from Geneva instead of a 3-hour journey from Paris regardless of which host city is chosen. 

So at least the unused Paris flight was relatively cheap @ £30 (unless someone who leaves it till the last minute and finds that fares have ballooned and wants to buy it off me) so I haven't wasted that much money.  But with this being my 9th away trip in total, you'd think I'd be getting better and cleverer at planning ways to travel on away trips... EmbarrassedLOL

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net