You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 66>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

I'm staying on in Switzerland for a few days after.
Looking at a train from Geneva to Grindewald. It stops off in Bern and Interlaken. Would I be able to get off and have a look around the city and use the same ticket to get back on? Or would need some special kind of ticket? 

Interlaken town itself isn't really that interesting, bit of a tourist trap to be honest but the surrounding towns like Grindelwald and Wilderswil are worth visiting. Check out the Schilthorn for an alternative to Jungfrau. Has the revolvong restaurant that was used in a James Bond movie with great views from it. You can also ski down if that's your thing although not sure whether that's possible in October, it was when I visited in March so so maybe. 

Bern definitely worth walking around for a few hours. Lovely town. I think it's  possible to get a later train. I passed through Lucerne and wandered around and had some grub for a few hours but I genuinely can't remember if that was planned in advance or spur of the moment so, I think we just decided at the time. 

Great country to travel by rail. Comfortable, punctual and amazing scenery. Highly recommended.
Sponsored Links

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 2:00pm

Geneva. Of course it is. That's my flight home from Zurich the morning after the game fooked. SwissAir were outstandingly unhelpful over the phone. The agent seemed pleased to offer me no solutions. 
Superb. 

El Puto Amo
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Geneva. Of course it is. That's my flight home from Zurich the morning after the game fooked. SwissAir were outstandingly unhelpful over the phone. The agent seemed pleased to offer me no solutions. 
Superb. 

If you booked the cheapest ticket with Swissair, then it can't be changed or refunded. Just book another flight from Geneva, as it is still less than €100.

They do have to give you the taxes & airport charges back, so maybe cancel and ask for that, although they will usually charge an admin fee suspiciously close to the amount of taxes and charges.

The alternative is to sit tight and see if they retime the flight - not so you can catch it, but so that you can get the full refund. If they retime the flight, they may offer you a full refund. I had booked a flight to CPH for the Denmark game before it was announced in Aarhus. When they moved it, I cancelled my flight to CPH and got the taxes and charges back. However, about a week later, SAS retimed the flight, and everyone who was booked on it was offered a full refund. If I had sat tight, I'd have got a full refund.

So my suggestion would be as follows:
1) Book a new flight / new flights home
2) Don't cancel the Swiss flight from Zurich yet
3) Only cancel the Swiss flight from Zurich a week or two before travel, to get the taxes and charges back

Only a suggestion but there is nothing to lose from it. Now, it might be different if you booked a flight *to* Switzerland with Swiss as well, with the Zurich Dublin leg being the return - it might not be possible to cancel the return leg as a standalone.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 21 Feb 2019 at 2:10pm
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Superb. 

I rang them and asked to change my flight, took 20 mins but finally she quoted me €180 to move my flight from Zurich to Dublin to Geneva to Dublin, the Geneva flight was €50 odd if booked itself, she seemed shocked I didn't want to pay the €180.

When I booked the flight out I booked Dub-Gen-Zur, cost extra €13 but thought I'd do it on off chance we were in Geneva and could also use the lounge for two hours if taking the Zurich flight, worked out well in the end.
Tyronebhoy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Geneva accommodation prices are lively. Cheapest spot I could find for a twin room was €150 a night.

Happy with £275 for 3 nights in Hotel Central, but it was booked on spec few months back. Prices have definitely gone up since. Dear oul trip alright, Copenhagen and Stockholm level spending coming up Shocked
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 4:47pm

Cheers SD and NVidic. Yeah, its not the end of the world. I'll book a new flight from Geneva. I just felt like having a whinge. 
El Puto Amo
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 9:00pm
Try Thonex. Effectively a suburb of Geneva, but right on the border. So French side. Just over 90 for a 2-bedroom apartment per night. So 45 per double. Walk across the border is easy. Switzerland Schengen too.
6k from the city, so closer than say the Geneva airport. 

Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 9:22pm
Yeah, the hotels are way, way cheaper there.

By way of example, the Ibis Annemasse (just over the border) was €150 per night cheaper than the Ibis Geneve (by the main train station). €65 a night for a twin room compared to over €200. From the centre of Geneva, it's a 20 minute tram ride and a 15 minute walk.

If it wasn't for the fact that we only get into Geneva at 16:15 on match day, I'd probably stay there rather in Geneva.

Edit: bus 61 actually goes the whole way from Geneva main station to Annemasse main station, every 15 minutes or so. I think it is 3.40CHF but I'm not 100% on that. I think a tram ticket is 3.00CHF so it probably makes sense just to get the bus ticket for the whole journey.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 21 Feb 2019 at 9:43pm
Colum View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 9:48pm
Good info there, lads. Any idea on when trams stop running? I’ve barely looked at accommodation yet but there’s no way I’m paying €200 a night for an IBIS. Have been to Geneva before and from memory I paid about half of that for a four star with lake view (just about if you get the right angle) and ten minute walk to old town so seemingly the world and his dog has booked up. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Colum Colum wrote:

Good info there, lads. Any idea on when trams stop running? I’ve barely looked at accommodation yet but there’s no way I’m paying €200 a night for an IBIS. Have been to Geneva before and from memory I paid about half of that for a four star with lake view (just about if you get the right angle) and ten minute walk to old town so seemingly the world and his dog has booked up. 

The last tram to Annemasse leaves Bel-Air (in the centre of Geneva) at 00:20 on a weeknight.

Colum View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 1:11am
Taxi it is so Smile

Thanks Clap
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 7:57am
Two words when put into the same sentence strike fear into me...Taxi and Geneva !

Edited by colemanY2K - 22 Feb 2019 at 7:58am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
TBWRA View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBWRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 8:21am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Two words when put into the same sentence strike fear into me...Taxi and Geneva !

LOL
"The Football Grounds of Europe" about Dalymount that :- "You walk down lanes you'd expect to find a backstreet mechanic only to stumble onto a national stadium steeped in tradition and history"
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 9:10am
Originally posted by TBWRA TBWRA wrote:

LOL
OuchOuchOuchLOLLOLLOL

You might have to suck it up late at night after the trams finish up for the night but the hotel I've booked (Ibis Geneve Petit-Lancy) apparently provide free public transport cards - so the Trip Advisor reviews are saying anyway.  So you should check if your hotel does this (would still be handy the rest of the day, apart from whatever issues you may have late at night). Thumbs Up

I've also found (apologies if already mentioned) that if you're flying into Geneva airport, you should look out for a machine in the baggage reclaim hall where you can get a free public transport ticket as long as you complete the journey within 80 minutes of collecting the ticket from the machine. Clap

Just as well considering how expensive I've heard Geneva is otherwise meant to be. LOL

Edited by ConorMac77 - 22 Feb 2019 at 9:22am
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by TBWRA TBWRA wrote:

LOL

uber Clap
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

That's my plan. I'm on the Ryanair flight to Basel on the 15th October and going to board the Freiburg to Geneva train in Basel SSB at 14:03
We're also on this flight. I'd imagine there are quite a few.
As the trains are steep would there be any appetite for arranging a bus direct from Basel airport?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 4:02pm
Book Freiburg to Geneva on bahn.com six months out, for €19.90 per person, and just don't get the Freiburg to Basel bit. Perfectly legitimate, though you have to buy a new ticket if you miss the pre-booked train.

I have no doubt that organising a bus in Switzerland will cost more than €20 per person for the same distance. Everything there is mad expensive.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 27 Feb 2019 at 4:06pm
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 4:54pm
Looked into hiring a bus from Freiburg to Geneva one way on match day cost was astronomical.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 66>
  Share Topic