You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 527528529530531 735>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 10:11pm
Although Kenny has gotten the team playing some more attractive football and is looking to bring in some young players, it just seems like every bit of progress is met with a setback with some crappy result that scuppers a campaign before it even begins. That cannot continue indefinitely. 

To be honest, I don't think this is even Kenny's fault, really. With the best will in the world, if the players you have lack that bit of extra quality to really mix it with the best of them, you're always going to be bumping up against a glass ceiling. You'll nick a result against a pot 1 team once in a while but then get some terrible result against Azerbaijan. Beyond any manager, the bigger problem remains that the Irish system has not in many years produced a real giant of a player to base the team around, like Roy Keane, like Paul McGrath, or like Robbie Keane. That's what the team needs most of all. Not one has emerged in 20 years. Hell of a barren patch. 

Best of luck to Kenny in his next campaign and I will be hoping that his project bears some real fruit. I like him as a person and for what he's trying to do with the team, but he will still have to go if he continues to fail to get some real results. 
Sponsored Links

xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by BriMurt BriMurt wrote:

Although Kenny has gotten the team playing some more attractive football and is looking to bring in some young players, it just seems like every bit of progress is met with a setback with some crappy result that scuppers a campaign before it even begins. That cannot continue indefinitely. 

To be honest, I don't think this is even Kenny's fault, really. With the best will in the world, if the players you have lack that bit of extra quality to really mix it with the best of them, you're always going to be bumping up against a glass ceiling. You'll nick a result against a pot 1 team once in a while but then get some terrible result against Azerbaijan. Beyond any manager, the bigger problem remains that the Irish system has not in many years produced a real giant of a player to base the team around, like Roy Keane, like Paul McGrath, or like Robbie Keane. That's what the team needs most of all. Not one has emerged in 20 years. Hell of a barren patch. 

Best of luck to Kenny in his next campaign and I will be hoping that his project bears some real fruit. I like him as a person and for what he's trying to do with the team, but he will still have to go if he continues to fail to get some real results. 

How long does he have to get 'some real results' before he has to go? Is it indefinite?
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

How long does he have to get 'some real results' before he has to go? Is it indefinite?
Tbf, general consensus seems to be the upcoming campaign and you'll probably find he's got some real results already,, not enough, but some!
Idah Dream!
Scamper View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

The so called 'Friday night merchants' are the ones who are actually financially investing in Irish football simply by their existence. The bar stooler in the Liverpool/United/Celtic jersey is the one actively taking money out of the local football economy here. Every shirt they buy, every trip they across the water they take, is detrimental to Irish football. 

f**k their opinion because it means nothing. The good will behind the manager at the moment is generated by the real fans in the country. The ones who actually 'get' Irish football. (The fans that don't put on faux manc or scouse acents in the pub). We may or may nor be successful in the short term. C'est la vie! At least we have someone in charge who is trying to change the rotten culture we have in this country around football. If that's his only legacy, at least its a noble one.

Most fans (including many here) only tune in to Irish football when the senior mens team is playing. That is where their understanding of Irish football begins and ends

What a total crock of sh*t, go give your head a wobble ffs.

Oh and BTW I am 100% behind Kenny and backing him through the Euro campaign 

Edited by Scamper - 30 Sep 2022 at 11:45pm
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 2:18am
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

But even his fanatical legions must know that's a hoof too far.

Good man Mr Brick!  Tell us how it is! It's not enough to make your point on a forum, it's even better if you denigrate everyone who might have a different opinion! Frame them as a rabid horde, a lot flock of bleating sheep, a frothing mob!

Unfortunately his interpretation has produced nothing only frustration.

For you! And it must be even more frustrating for you that many of us think your opinion is restricted by your black and white view of Irish football.

Just a metaphor - toughen up, princess. I note elsewhere you'll withdraw your Kenny support if he picks a certain player. Some supporter.  
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 9:17am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Tbf, general consensus seems to be the upcoming campaign and you'll probably find he's got some real results already,, not enough, but some!

That was what some people said a year ago as well ("after the next campaign"). Despite the remarkable 3-0 win over Scotland, it was a very bad nations league campaign. We were never going to win the group, but we lost to Armenia, Ukraine's second string team, and barely beat Armenia at home thanks to two red cards and a VAR penalty in injury time. 

I was delighted when Kenny was appointed. I'm delighted to see us play better football. But it's a results based business. The players won't stay young forever. The aim is to get to a tournament, or get very close to one. That Nations League campaign nearly rules us out of Euro 2024, which is 2 years away. So do you keep him until 2025 and try to qualify for the 2026 World Cup? Confused

I will admit the biggest issue is there are no obvious candidates to replace him. I'd probably go for Chris Hughton, if I was changing manager. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 9:28am
What bearing did the 2 red cards have on the result of the game.  Very little.  

Also we have a good chance of going through the playoffs. It’s more likely than less likely in my view.

Also if we got for Hughton, we would not just be sacking Kenny for his results but also saying his style of play is wrong and we would be returning to the Trap/MON style of play. 

Edited by Baldrick - 01 Oct 2022 at 9:30am
AKA pedantic kunt
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Also we have a good chance of going through the playoffs. It’s more likely than less likely in my view.

Also if we got for Hughton, we would not just be sacking Kenny for his results but also saying his style of play is wrong and we would be returning to the Trap/MON style of play. 

But Kenny’s style of play isn’t working the goals we conceded against Armenia is because of the way Kenny asks the team to play.
This was against an Armenian side that hadn’t scored away from home all campaign.

Yes it looks nice but we are not good enough at it!!

Edited by Fruice - 01 Oct 2022 at 9:45am
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 10:01am

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but based on playoffs which would likely be a semi v Norway and a final v Ukraine, or a semi v Finland and a final v Serbia, it is not likely we will qualify. 
We have only beaten a team ranked above us once in 7 years. It is likely we'll have to beat 2 of them in the same month in March 2024, if we make it to the playoffs. 

Edited by xRedmanLFCx - 01 Oct 2022 at 10:02am
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 10:16am

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but based on playoffs which would likely be a semi v Norway and a final v Ukraine, or a semi v Finland and a final v Serbia, it is not likely we will qualify. 
We have only beaten a team ranked above us once in 7 years. It is likely we'll have to beat 2 of them in the same month in March 2024, if we make it to the playoffs. 
If those are the playoffs we got we would have absolutely zero chance, regardless of manager tbh. Norway and Serbia? Absolutely streets ahead of us in every department.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 10:35am

An error in my original mail. I meant to the playoffs rather than through.  

At this moment in time I think it’s a 50/50 if we would get through a playoff.  However if we have 2nd a good rattle and just missed out I think we would have a very good Chance.  However if we were a 3rd like our World Cup campaign then I think we would be in bother regardless of who we get in.  

However I think we will qualify for the playoffs based on our NL campaign.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

But Kenny’s style of play isn’t working the goals we conceded against Armenia is because of the way Kenny asks the team to play.
This was against an Armenian side that hadn’t scored away from home all campaign.

When you are remodeling a team or a company or making any huge changes across the board and change to strategy you are going to have teething problems and when you do it with younger players you are going to have inconsistencies.  However we could have continued with a very practical manager who looks at players limitations and sets them up like Mick and MON did and because our players were dropping in the standard they play at it probably would have delivered no qualification and non promotion from the NL but we may have had 3 or 4 more points in each group.  However we would probably be going into this campaign with a team like this and no experience for our young players. 

Bazunu

Coleman Duffy Egan McClean

Doherty Hendrick Cullen Hourihane Brady

Obafemi 

So limited practical football will get you slightly more points in the short term but it won’t deliver the change we need to make and it puts a ceiling on your ambition.  The Kenny approach and re correct approach in my view Carries more risk in the short term but in the long term the potential is higher and it’s actually necessary for the players that are coming through that are all playing in environments where keeping the ball is the approach rather than row z merchants. 

Edited by Baldrick - 01 Oct 2022 at 10:43am
AKA pedantic kunt
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 11:34am
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

If those are the playoffs we got we would have absolutely zero chance, regardless of manager tbh. Norway and Serbia? Absolutely streets ahead of us in every department.
The play offs will be between teams who are not among the 20 plus Germany who have not qualified. We are currently ranked 26 in Europe. Whatever about having to play one team of the calibre of Norway, it is highly unlikely we would have to play both serbia, who will likely qualify automatically and norway. Anyway, for now it's absolutely pointless pondering over whether or nor we could get through the play off process. Top 2 and we qualify, let's hope for a reasonable draw.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 11:37am
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Will they be in 15 months time, look where we were 15 months ago!
Idah Dream!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 11:37am
Yeah my point was it’s pretty likely we will get to the playoff and Redman was saying that because of Kenny and our performance in NL that we would not make the playoffs.  

Impossible to say whether we would get through or not. 

Edited by Baldrick - 01 Oct 2022 at 11:37am
AKA pedantic kunt
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 11:41am

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

That was what some people said a year ago as well ("after the next campaign"). Despite the remarkable 3-0 win over Scotland, it was a very bad nations league campaign. We were never going to win the group, but we lost to Armenia, Ukraine's second string team, and barely beat Armenia at home thanks to two red cards and a VAR penalty in injury time. 

I was delighted when Kenny was appointed. I'm delighted to see us play better football. But it's a results based business. The players won't stay young forever. The aim is to get to a tournament, or get very close to one. That Nations League campaign nearly rules us out of Euro 2024, which is 2 years away. So do you keep him until 2025 and try to qualify for the 2026 World Cup? Confused

I will admit the biggest issue is there are no obvious candidates to replace him. I'd probably go for Chris Hughton, if I was changing manager. 

80% on here disagree with you. As for your hughton shout, pah, somebody like anthony barry maybe who wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater
Idah Dream!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 11:50am

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

When you are remodeling a team or a company or making any huge changes across the board and change to strategy you are going to have teething problems and when you do it with younger players you are going to have inconsistencies.  However we could have continued with a very practical manager who looks at players limitations and sets them up like Mick and MON did and because our players were dropping in the standard they play at it probably would have delivered no qualification and non promotion from the NL but we may have had 3 or 4 more points in each group.  However we would probably be going into this campaign with a team like this and no experience for our young players. 

Bazunu

Coleman Duffy Egan McClean

Doherty Hendrick Cullen Hourihane Brady

Obafemi 

So limited practical football will get you slightly more points in the short term but it won’t deliver the change we need to make and it puts a ceiling on your ambition.  The Kenny approach and re correct approach in my view Carries more risk in the short term but in the long term the potential is higher and it’s actually necessary for the players that are coming through that are all playing in environments where keeping the ball is the approach rather than row z merchants. 

The obvious doppelganger for Mick and MON would be Hughton and there is no way he or others would have ignored the rise of Collins, O'Shea, Omobamidele, Knight, Obafemi, Ogbene and one or two others. One of the core selling points for Kenny is the emphasis on regeneration, but the suggestion other managers would have ignored it is fanciful - as is the notion the hoof would have been embraced as nauseum. Maybe the negativity towards SK is less complicated. Maybe those awful, unreasonable, 20 per centers simply believe a better manager would have done a better job. 

Edited by Mr Brick - 01 Oct 2022 at 11:52am
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 12:09pm

Yeah my point was it’s pretty likely we will get to the playoff and Redman was saying that because of Kenny and our performance in NL that we would not make the playoffs.  

Impossible to say whether we would get through or not. 

Agreed, we are more likely to get a play off spot than not and possibly through Path A, which counterintuitively may actually be the best route.

As you say, it's impossible at this stage to even guess who we might get if such an eventuality occurs, but it is highly, highly unlikely that we would have to beat 2 teams already ranked in the Top 20 in Europe to qualify, one perhaps!
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 527528529530531 735>
  Share Topic