Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56712
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 8:31am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: It's the Stephen Kenny Thread
Posted By: Hans Moleman
Subject: It's the Stephen Kenny Thread
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 12:57pm
Will be a future Ireland manager I believe. Can't see it being this week as the FAI are looking for the easy option, and appealing to fans and media nostalgia is looking like their most likely policy.

Could end up being the best thing for the man I reckon. If Kenny gets the job now and is only on an 18 month contract, he could well be out on his ear in just over a years time. If he waits (obviously he may have option in that anyway!), and he continues being successful at Dundalk (which I'm pretty certain he will be) he'll be in pole position to take the job in a year or 2 time when the previous incumbent crashes and burns.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Replies:
Posted By: DangerHere
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:24pm
One thing I hope does NOT happen is that he puts so much hope into getting the Ireland job, only to be disappointed, and then loses sight at club level. Kind of like how Harry Redknapp did when he expected to get the England job. Because if Mick is given it (which I would not have much issue with) then Kenny at aged 47 could still be in line to be the next one after

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:42pm

It would be the ultimate honor for him, he would support LOI and have faith it's players in this really critical next few years when we start to see the fruits of the positive changes that have been made at underage. He is someone who could coach and manage the senior team but could also have a hand at all levels. He could come into the office in Abbotstown and oversee potential academy set up.

Maybe he can still do that role without being the manager of the senior team??? (Could also see someone like Lee Carsley in that role)

I'd get behind Mick of course but I just feel it never really works out second time around, I don't know if he would really have the hunger or energy to roll up the sleeves and get that into that type of role.

I think he would be almost exclusively working with the senior team.

Posted By: Tony Cousins
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:42pm
It would be illogical for Kenny to not get the Ireland job. Ireland will prosper under his reign. Delaney must not make a selfish decision as the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:44pm
Come on Kenny Clap

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:47pm
He's the the only option for me. Think of the shot in the arm it will give the domestic game in Ireland (no womder the Junkies have issued a statement endorsing him)

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:48pm
Needs to stay where he is.

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

He's the the only option for me. Think of the shot in the arm it will give the domestic game in Ireland (no womder the Junkies have issued a statement endorsing him)

Ive heard this said but what shot will it give? what shot did it give when kerr got the job? none. can't see how it will make any difference.

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:57pm
Don't see him getting it during this period at all. Maybe in the future. I would like to see Kenny get a job

in League 1 or so like Paul Cook and see how he does then. He needs to prove himself outside of the LOI

where there are only 2 clubs capable of winning the league. It is Mick or Sam for me right now. 

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:59pm
If he gets the job will he play no long ball at all? Five minutes to go in a vital match we need a goal, it's not happening, will he change it up and throw a big lad up front? Would he see that as against his principles?

Some long ball and physicality was always a part of the most successful Irish teams make-up. I'd like to see us play a lot more football and get back to being the team everyone hates playing against. That's more likely under Mick who I think will mix it up more.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:00pm
We just spent 5 years with MON. 

Kenny deserves his chance. 

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

If he gets the job will he play no long ball at all? Five minutes to go in a vital match we need a goal, it's not happening, will he change it up and throw a big lad up front? Would he see that as against his principles?

Some long ball and physicality was always a part of the most successful Irish teams make-up. I'd like to see us play a lot more football and get back to being the team everyone hates playing against. That's more likely under Mick who I think will mix it up more.

course we need a mixture. if were away to spain and 2-0 down after 20 mins our pretty football plan might have to go out the window.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Ive heard this said but what shot will it give? what shot did it give when kerr got the job? none. can't see how it will make any difference.

Different time. Only one player from that era went on to play for Ireland (wes). Squad was filled with majority of premiership players.

Now we don't have that many premiership players and many people in the squad have come through the LOI system and the growing trends of less Irish players getting picked up by English clubs suggests we will need to put extra emphasis on the league.

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Don't see him getting it during this period anyway. Maybe in the future. It is Mick or Sam for me right now. 
Getting him in last year would have been ideal for him as he would have had those friendlies and Nations League matches to get his ideas, system and methods bedded in before the qualifiers start in March.  Unfortunately, that luxury has gone (actually, 'wasted' would probably be more apt by keeping MONROY on when they were so obviously a busted flush but sure that's for another thread) so we need someone with experience like Mick who can hit the ground running. 

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:04pm
The people's choice Clap

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:04pm
I'm not sure I buy the "inexperienced" line. He's 47 years old and has been managing for the last 21 years.

Exactly how much experience is he supposed to get under his belt before he becomes eligible for the Ireland job?

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:09pm
Would love to see him get it but the time it to him was either 12 months ago, we have wasted the last 12 months completely. In an ideal situation he would get it after Euro 2020 having had a successful European run with Dundalk in the meantime. It would be an exciting appointment if he does get it at some stage.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I'm not sure I buy the "inexperienced" line. He's 47 years old and has been managing for the last 21 years.

Exactly how much experience is he supposed to get under his belt before he becomes eligible for the Ireland job?

True. Talking to an LOI player he is very much a man who is respected by his players too. After years of success I think it's not debatable that this man is (a) a leader  (b) a good coach (c) able to deal with grown men!
The media piece might be a difficult transition, but it is a tough job and you have to take it on

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:10pm

Go the Paul Cook route and see how he does then. His only venture outside the league of Ireland ended up with getting sacked by Dunfermline. For me, his record isn't any better than someone like Pat Fenlon apart from better football.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: notpropaganda73
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:10pm
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/stephen-kenny-i-am-absolutely-qualified-to-take-ireland-job-1.3707568%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/stephen-kenny-i-am-absolutely-qualified-to-take-ireland-job-1.3707568

Some great quotes from him here in my opinion. He obviously has a huge amount of self-belief, would love to see him get it 

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

True. Talking to an LOI player he is very much a man who is respected by his players too. After years of success I think it's not debatable that this man is (a) a leader  (b) a good coach (c) able to deal with grown men!
The media piece might be a difficult transition, but it is a tough job and you have to take it on

There are definite risks with an LOI manager but I think people are nearly focusing in on all the negatives and ignoring the positives. He's nearly 50 years old and has been managing (successfully) for two decades. It's not as if he is some clueless rookie who hasn't a clue.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:21pm

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

There are definite risks with an LOI manager but I think people are nearly focusing in on all the negatives and ignoring the positives. He's nearly 50 years old and has been managing (successfully) for two decades. It's not as if he is some clueless rookie who hasn't a clue.

thats all true but and this is coming from a LOI fan there would be a big step up. let be honest, that does not mean hes wouldnt be able to do it. if he got it he would have to come up against some big team with some serious players. its a measure of the guy that he is in the frame for the top job. no one knows if it would be too big for him unless he got it. he might be the best thing since sliced bread.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:23pm

Been at it a long time. Massively experienced, highs and lows tbf, but still clearly hugely hungry. Of course the national team is another step up but imo he's well capable.

In saying that I don't expect him to have us looking like a proper team within a couple of games, if he comes in now (I don't think he's any chance of getting it now, McCarthy seems the perfect fit for the FAI). It will take time for anyone to fix the mess left behind, and with those potential playoffs to come no matter how we do in qualifying, once there were clear signs of progress going into those playoffs, that would be enough for me (probably not for the majority though, and it's why I could see McCarthy being an utter disaster).

If I were Kenny though I'm not sure I'd take it on a short term contract, which is what I'm guessing will be offered to McCarthy. He needs a longer term contract with a bigger remit than just the senior team, possibly a say in the U21s, U19s appointments, or a director of football position with Kenny having a say in such an appointment. For that to happen I think his hand would be far stronger in 18 months time, if whoever comes in now does badly.

Either way, it would be a massive gamble for Kenny to take it on any sort of short term contract. He has a great gig at Dundalk and if he leaves that and it doesn't work out, where to from there?

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

If I were Kenny though I'm not sure I'd take it on a short term contract, which is what I'm guessing will be offered to McCarthy. 

Mick is hardly going to take a short term contract. If Mick was the manager and we qualified for the euros there is no way he is just going to give it up then. He would definitely want a World Cup campaign too at the very least.

-------------
The only way is up

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:32pm

Been at it a long time. Massively experienced, highs and lows tbf, but still clearly hugely hungry. Of course the national team is another step up but imo he's well capable.

In saying that I don't expect him to have us looking like a proper team within a couple of games, if he comes in now (I don't think he's any chance of getting it now, McCarthy seems the perfect fit for the FAI). It will take time for anyone to fix the mess left behind, and with those potential playoffs to come no matter how we do in qualifying, once there were clear signs of progress going into those playoffs, that would be enough for me (probably not for the majority though, and it's why I could see McCarthy being an utter disaster).

If I were Kenny though I'm not sure I'd take it on a short term contract, which is what I'm guessing will be offered to McCarthy. He needs a longer term contract with a bigger remit than just the senior team, possibly a say in the U21s, U19s appointments, or a director of football position with Kenny having a say in such an appointment. For that to happen I think his hand would be far stronger in 18 months time, if whoever comes in now does badly.

Either way, it would be a massive gamble for Kenny to take it on any sort of short term contract. He has a great gig at Dundalk and if he leaves that and it doesn't work out, where to from there?

A lot of good points here. If McCarthy does get it, there should be some way of integrating Kenny into the system and being given the nod that he is next in line to manage the team : being 'groomed' for the role so to speak. Everything about McCarthy getting it would suggest it was a quick fix solution for 2020 but there's a lot to be said for paving the way for Kenny.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:35pm
i do find the love for Kenny a little over the top. if you just came from mars and read all the media coverage you would swear he won 6 champions leagues. if he lost 4 or 5 of his first games people would be saying he was never up to it anyway. i bet they would. i'm not against him getting the job as i have said in quite a few posts but some of the love for him is over the top. like i said earlier half of the people who are screaming for him now were probably never at a LOI game and would laugh at it most weekends. 

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/stephen-kenny-i-am-absolutely-qualified-to-take-ireland-job-1.3707568%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/stephen-kenny-i-am-absolutely-qualified-to-take-ireland-job-1.3707568

Some great quotes from him here in my opinion. He obviously has a huge amount of self-belief, would love to see him get it 
I would have been on the fence before reading that, it's a no now. A distinct lack of pragmatism and realism. 

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:46pm

i do find the love for Kenny a little over the top. if you just came from mars and read all the media coverage you would swear he won 6 champions leagues. if he lost 4 or 5 of his first games people would be saying he was never up to it anyway. i bet they would. i'm not against him getting the job as i have said in quite a few posts but some of the love for him is over the top. like i said earlier half of the people who are screaming for him now were probably never at a LOI game and would laugh at it most weekends.

This. Reminds me of how Sean Gallagher almost became President a few years back. The media got behind him, his name was pushed to the moon, nobody really knew why they wanted him, he almost did it and now looking back the majority are delighted it didn't happen.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I would have been on the fence before reading that, it's a no now. A distinct lack of pragmatism and realism. 

If Guardiola was a Dubliner you'd find fault......

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:53pm

This. Reminds me of how Sean Gallagher almost became President a few years back. The media got behind him, his name was pushed to the moon, nobody really knew why they wanted him, he almost did it and now looking back the majority are delighted it didn't happen.

it seems every tom dick and harry are hell bent on kenny or no one. in reality if you put his credentials beside Mick's or Big Sams then he should not even be in the race. And by credentials i mean the level they have all coached at. now i'm not saying he shouldnt get the job but the way some people are going on you would swear hes some sort of messiah that will transform the national side into a second Dundalk. And im a fan of his.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:56pm
If Mick wasn't Irish I wonder would their be such a clamour from others for him. A lazy  quick fix appointment nothing more than that. 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:57pm

Go the Paul Cook route and see how he does then. His only venture outside the league of Ireland ended up with getting sacked by Dunfermline. For me, his record isn't any better than someone like Pat Fenlon apart from better football.
He also got Dunfermline to a cup final, beat a very good Rangers side and while there he was awarded person of the year by the Irish soccer journo awards. 

He also got Longford promoted and to a cup final. 

He got Derry and Bohs to cup finals 

You’d swear his management career read 
BLANK
relegated Dunfermline 
BLANK
Dundalk 

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Would love to see him get it but the time it to him was either 12 months ago, we have wasted the last 12 months completely. In an ideal situation he would get it after Euro 2020 having had a successful European run with Dundalk in the meantime. It would be an exciting appointment if he does get it at some stage.

Big time. A real missed opportunity.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

He also got Dunfermline to a cup final, beat a very good Rangers side and while there he was awarded person of the year by the Irish soccer journo awards. 

BLANK
relegated Dunfermline 
BLANK
Dundalk 

Bit of a gap there tho............I know, "A love that wont speak its name"...

-------------

Posted By: notpropaganda73
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:10pm

Ara jesus what a comparison

I just think Kenny has done some great work in club football, even his failure at Dunfermline included a cup run. He makes the right noises (imo) and has Dundalk playing good football. He talks about structures and tactics and instructions to players. Maybe the bar is low but that is good stuff to hear. 

That's not to say it's Kenny or bust, I just think he'd be an exciting appointment. It's not as if the talk about him is baseless ffs 

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

BLANK
relegated Dunfermline 
BLANK
Dundalk 

Bit of a gap there tho............I know, "A love that wont speak its name"...
His greatest achievement nearly....Wink in fairness a near impossible act to follow, and if given more time, who knows

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:14pm

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:15pm
That interview in the Irish Times is fantastic. If he speaks like that when he meets with the FAI it would be hard not to give him the job. 

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

That interview in the Irish Times is fantastic. If he speaks like that when he meets with the FAI it would be hard not to give him the job. 

The Irish Times piece is like a public interview for the job (and it's an impressive one) - he has nothing to lose at all by putting it out there too

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:25pm

If Guardiola was a Dubliner you'd find fault......
If he was a Dubliner he would have loads already...

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:37pm

The Irish Times piece is like a public interview for the job (and it's an impressive one) - he has nothing to lose at all by putting it out there too

Agreed. He comes across really well in that article.

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:41pm
If Barry Town won a few Welsh league titles,in an uncompetitive league,maybe even  a 2 horse race,would their manager be in the running for the Welsh National job? Genuine question 

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

If Barry Town won a few Welsh league titles,in an uncompetitive league,maybe even  a 2 horse race,would their manager be in the running for the Welsh National job? Genuine question 

clearly not but the LOI is ahead of the Welsh league. Dundalks european run has also enhanced his reputation obvisouly.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:46pm

Barry Town are not even close to the force they once were. 

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:50pm

clearly not but the LOI is ahead of the Welsh league. Dundalks european run has also enhanced his reputation obvisouly.

Their recent run ended with a 4-0 hammering from AEK Larnaca.

-------------
The only way is up

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:50pm

I'd say if Barry qualified for the Europa League group stages and picked up a few points then their manager probably would.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:51pm

Didn't Des Curley manage them?

Related image

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:52pm
Also, a league of Ireland manager has already gotten an international job off the back of winning the league of Ireland and qualifying for the Europa League group stages, and he hasn't done a bad job either.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:54pm

Their recent run ended with a 4-0 hammering from AEK Larnaca.

dundalk played poorly that day, a lot of defensive mistakes and on the face of it a bad result. Larnaca went on to hammer bigger sides than dundalk at home in europe after that result. they were a decent side.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:55pm

Is it that far ahead?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:56pm

Is it that far ahead?

Derry beat Aberyswyth something like 9-0 on agg. a few years ago.

Although, legendary club TNS did beat Boez 4-0.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:57pm

Is it that far ahead?

on a whole its a stronger league. TNS seem to win theirs every year.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Tony Cousins Tony Cousins wrote:

Also, a league of Ireland manager has already gotten an international job off the back of winning the league of Ireland and qualifying for the Europa League group stages, and he hasn't done a bad job either.

And has them playing better football (in comparison to us in recent years ) with a similar (maybe lower) standard players to ourselves 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:02pm
Anyone who thinks Stephen Kenny is a better option than McCarthy or Allardyce doesn’t understand football. 

I get the sentiment among LOI fans but that’s the equivalent of championing a foreigner who managed Sparta Prague and NEC Breda. 

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: Los Aros
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Anyone who thinks Stephen Kenny is a better option than McCarthy or Allardyce doesn’t understand football. 

I get the sentiment among LOI fans but that’s the equivalent of championing a foreigner who managed Sparta Prague and NEC Breda. 

Maybe they do and don't want to watch us park the bus for another 4 years.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:09pm

McCarthy has been tried and failed. Allardyce is a corrupt fat f**k.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

And has them playing better football (in comparison to us) with a similar (maybe lower) standard players to ourselves 
Dont think thats relevant at all

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:13pm
No doubt Kenny has done well with Dundalk. But I don’t buy this “he deserves a go at the top job”at all. 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:16pm

No doubt Kenny has done well with Dundalk. But I don’t buy this “he deserves a go at the top job”at all. 

Agreed and neither do I. His credentials are world's apart from Mick or Sam. It's not even a contest.

-------------
The only way is up

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:17pm

Exactly.

-------------

Posted By: Los Aros
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:18pm
Laughable that for every player or manager we pick we have to see how they do/did in England. Maybe we are their B team.

Croatia would give a manger from their league the national team league without even winning it.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:22pm

How did McCarthy fail exactly ? 

He was one of 2 managers who got us to a World Cup in 88 years of trying. Some of yis need a reality check. Getting to a World Cup is the only success we will ever achieve.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:24pm

He was one of 2 managers who got us to a World Cup in 88 years of trying. Some of yis need a reality check. Getting to a World Cup is the only success we will ever achieve.

We had a good squad at the time, for a weak world cup. The chance was there to do well. Then he alienated the best player we had and didn't even notice the opposition had less players than us.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Related image
No, but he drank in the Barry House cos there was nothin' on the telly..Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:28pm
Derry City have followed Pats in backing the people's choice Clap

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:29pm
On a point of pedantry, which is unlike me... Barry Town went to the wall and a new club called Barry Town united was formed. They were promoted last year and currently lie in third, level on points with TNS and a point behind Connah's Quay Nomads.

-------------

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:30pm

This.

If you are looking solely on what both candidates have achieved recently Micks achievements are much much greater than Kennys IMO.  No silverware granted but the job he did at Ipswich was nothing short of amazing considering the financial restrictions he was under.  Look at the state they are in now.  Regardless of what peoples perception is on his style of football he is the standout candidate of the two by quite a distance.  Personally i'd be looking further afield and taking a bit more time over the decision but if it is purely down to these two then it's Mick for me.

Taking absolutely nothing away from Kenny and the fantastic work he has done at domestic level but he wouldn't be my choice for this job just yet.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:30pm

Related image
No, but he drank in the Barry House cos there was nothin' on the telly..Wink

Mr. Burgess managed Barrytown.

I find it bizarre clubs calling for Kenny to be manager. I have never seen the likes.  I have to say its just an attempt to usurp the Dundalk gravy train.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:39pm
When Pat Fenlon was winning leagues and doing very well in Europe,was he ever championed for the top job? I can’t recall but I’d highly doubt it 

-------------

Posted By: tony grealish
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:42pm

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion man.

Do you need to know a lot about football to realise that the team you are playing against only has 10 players on the pitch and that your own team now has the advantage of having an extra man?

-------------
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by El_nino El_nino wrote:

This.

If you are looking solely on what both candidates have achieved recently Micks achievements are much much greater than Kennys IMO.  No silverware granted but the job he did at Ipswich was nothing short of amazing considering the financial restrictions he was under.  Look at the state they are in now.  Regardless of what peoples perception is on his style of football he is the standout candidate of the two by quite a distance.  Personally i'd be looking further afield and taking a bit more time over the decision but if it is purely down to these two then it's Mick for me.

Taking absolutely nothing away from Kenny and the fantastic work he has done at domestic level but he wouldn't be my choice for this job just yet.

Is keeping Ipswich in the Championship really better than getting Dundalk (who were in the gutter when he took over) to the group stages of the UEFA Cup? I'm not sure I'd concur with that. Mick did a good, solid job with Ipswich; but what Kenny has done with Dundalk is incredible.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:48pm

When Pat Fenlon was winning leagues and doing very well in Europe,was he ever championed for the top job? I can’t recall but I’d highly doubt it 

Exactly. I would be shocked to the core if Delaney went for Kenny...which he won't. Good domestic manager no doubt but not for International level.

-------------
The only way is up

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:51pm

I find it bizarre clubs calling for Kenny to be manager. I have never seen the likes.  I have to say its just an attempt to usurp the Dundalk gravy train.

Just looking for a bit of media attention for a few hours.

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

This.

Is keeping Ipswich in the Championship really better than getting Dundalk (who were in the gutter when he took over) to the group stages of the UEFA Cup? I'm not sure I'd concur with that. Mick did a good, solid job with Ipswich; but what Kenny has done with Dundalk is incredible.

I think you are doing McCarthy a bit of disservice by saying he just kept Ipswich in the Championship. He did so comfortably and had them finishing top half in 4 of his seasons and finishing in the playoffs once. They finished 12th, 9th, 6th, 7th and 15th during his time in charge.  15th being the lowest finish in his first season and if memory serves me right he took over mid way through that season when Ipswich hadn't won a game in a long time and were in a bad state (or in the gutter!).  He had nothing to spend or very little to spend during his time in charge.

Again i am certainly not rubbishing Kennys recent achievements with Dundalk far from it but IMO i think McCarthys at Ipswich over the 5 year period he was in charge are better at a higher level.  i think the general consensus is that the championship is a remarkably competitive league.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:07pm

We had a good squad at the time, for a weak world cup. The chance was there to do well. Then he alienated the best player we had and didn't even notice the opposition had less players than us.

I look forward to the response to this. The amount of times McCarthy made a balls of things while in charge of Ireland was massive, but his disciples will not have a bad word said about him.

Kennys last few years in management are simply light years ahead of what McCarthy has achieved. I'm not for one second saying Kenny is the only option for the job, there are hundreds of great coaches out there if the FAI did their homework.

I'd so far as to say that those calling for McCarthy over Kenny don't know anything about football. See, we can all do that.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:11pm
I'm not advocating Kenny by any means, I think the interview highlighted some of the doubts I have about him, but there is no comparison between what Kenny achieved and Pat Fenton. 
Pat Fenlon won his league titles with the biggest budget in the league, when Kenny took over Dundalk they had just stayed in the league. He didn't just win a few titles, he took a provincial town club, admittedly one with a great LOI history, from hopping between the divisions to being the biggest club in the country within a few years, that is without mentioning Europe. 
The reason the league is a two horse race is because of Kenny. 

-------------

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:14pm
I’m not sure I want SK to get it just yet, I’ve a feeling it’s all about to go tits up with I’ll duce dragged kicking and screaming out of office and our brilliantly talented playing staff will only accept a huuuuge presence like Magical Mick(according to that ballsack kilbane anyway).they couldn’t accept a manager who only managed Europa league ffs , champions league or nothing!!

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:15pm

I'm not advocating Kenny by any means, I think the interview highlighted some of the doubts I have about him, but there is no comparison between what Kenny achieved and Pat Fenton. 
Pat Fenlon won his league titles with the biggest budget in the league, when Kenny took over Dundalk they had just stayed in the league. He didn't just win a few titles, he took a provincial town club, admittedly one with a great LOI history, from hopping between the divisions to being the biggest club in the country within a few years, that is without mentioning Europe. 

And Bradser.......

-------------

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:25pm

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

This.

I think you are doing McCarthy a bit of disservice by saying he just kept Ipswich in the Championship. He did so comfortably and had them finishing top half in 4 of his seasons and finishing in the playoffs once. They finished 12th, 9th, 6th, 7th and 15th during his time in charge.  15th being the lowest finish in his first season and if memory serves me right he took over mid way through that season when Ipswich hadn't won a game in a long time and were in a bad state (or in the gutter!).  He had nothing to spend or very little to spend during his time in charge.

Again i am certainly not rubbishing Kennys recent achievements with Dundalk far from it but IMO i think McCarthys at Ipswich over the 5 year period he was in charge are better at a higher level.  i think the general consensus is that the championship is a remarkably competitive league.

That is nonsense tbh. McCarthy kept a side in the Championship who have pretty much always been in the Championship; in other words he didn't really move them too far back or forwards. As I said, he did a very solid job, but he hardly worked miracles!

Kenny on the other hand took a side who were languishing near the bottom of the LOI, and within a few years had them holding their own in the group stages of the Europa League. There simply is no comparison; Mick did well, but Kenny performed wonders.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:31pm

And Bradser.......
LOLLOL

Again, this isn't saying McCarthy should be manager, but Ipswich were a club in a mess. They have had, for the past few years, one of the smallest playing budgets in the division. They also sold their key players every year.
As is being shown this year, McCarthy overachieved massively at Ipswich, it was far more than a solid job. Like a lot of these jobs he has done it only looks better a few years down the line.

-------------

Posted By: tony grealish
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:48pm

I look forward to the response to this. The amount of times McCarthy made a balls of things while in charge of Ireland was massive, but his disciples will not have a bad word said about him.

Kennys last few years in management are simply light years ahead of what McCarthy has achieved. I'm not for one second saying Kenny is the only option for the job, there are hundreds of great coaches out there if the FAI did their homework.

I'd so far as to say that those calling for McCarthy over Kenny don't know anything about football. See, we can all do that.

Clap

-------------
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''

Posted By: Jocky Wilson
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:55pm

He's won many leagues and cups. He's managed in the Europa league and Champions league. Mick McCarthy has never won a national league as a manager. 

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 6:22pm

Just looking for a bit of media attention for a few hours.

Yeah very weird behaviour from certain clubs regarding Kenny. 

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:18am
Starting to worry about most on here. Have we all not just watched a dinosaur in charge with sh*te football. So why do we want it again? Mick has been at Ipswich struggling. Kenny has been reinventing Dundalk at home and in Europe and making people say who are Dundalk. Who the f**k are Ipswich. There is not 1 club chasing Yorkshire Mick. Yes he made a World Cup but how many tournaments did he f**k up I'm qualifying. 

Kenny plays good football - Mick doesn't 

If we don't offer Mick the job, is there a massive queue to get him?

Kenny has worked miracles with nearly all the teams he has managed. And big Sam. FFS - lay off the gear 

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:16am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Starting to worry about most on here. Have we all not just watched a dinosaur in charge with sh*te football. So why do we want it again? Mick has been at Ipswich struggling. Kenny has been reinventing Dundalk at home and in Europe and making people say who are Dundalk. Who the f**k are Ipswich. There is not 1 club chasing Yorkshire Mick. Yes he made a World Cup but how many tournaments did he f**k up I'm qualifying. 

Kenny has worked miracles with nearly all the teams he has managed. And big Sam. FFS - lay off the gear 

Just on this, I nearly p*ssed myself laughing when RTE were bigging McCarthy up about offers from abroad, I think I heard China and Qatar mentioned somewhere else LOL

I doubt there is a championship team who would go near McCarthy again. I'm absolutely certain there isn't an English club ever going to pay McCarthy 1.2m again in the rest of his career. Our decision to do so is another level of moronic. Sickening.

I genuinely have to laugh as well at so many belittling Kennys achievements in the past few years in comparison to McCarthys achievements. This place is f*cking mental.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:48am
Don't think Kenny is the messiah but he would have been different. Risky yes but all managers are a risk

Posted By: Conan
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 2:18am
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

That’s easy to answer. Manage outside of Ireland. The league is a pathetic standard with attendances lower than GAA or rugby. The pressure isn’t there. He’s never had the pressure to success of a huge club Never mind country.

He’s perfect for the u21 role, not senior. 

Do you think Liam Kelly, Harry Arter, Cyrus Christie, Scott Hogan, Callum Robinson, David McGoldrick, Declan Rice have a clue who Stephen Kenny is? They’ll quite literally go, who’s this lad. Managed in Ireland? So what?

That’s the reality, simple as that. You need to respect the gaffer. Mick appeals to the English lads, who make up the core of our team. We need Kelly, we need Crowley we need Rice. We don’t need Stephen Kenny. 

Stephen Kenny manages Dundalk, there’s villages in England bigger then Dundalk. It’s a different level of expectation which Mick has handled his entire career, bringing Wolves up, keeping a non funded Ipswich team in the Championship each season getting the most from players. Could Kenny do that? No he couldn’t if he tried his style of play with those players Mick had they’d of been in League One. I know many here adore their LOI but it’s a goldfish bowl. Most League 2 sides would beat them all bar Dundalk, and Dundalk over a season would get relegated from the Championship. Just the reality.

Actually. The grass roots stuff is nonsense. We face an issue in Ireland and it’ll always be there, no matter how good we make the LOI. Players at 16/17/18 will continue to flood through the gates to English youth academies. Very few want to stick it out with Finn Harps. You all need to get some reality here. Football is the third place sports organisation in the country now. We have, and will to an extend always rely on non Irish born players to declare for Ireland. Look at Jacks teams, we need that again. 
Mick the same, since Mick left we lost the ability to get more and more to declare we’ve lost an absolute tone. Mark Noble being one who I’ve alwahs believed Mick would of got on board.

Don’t disregard how important it’ll be have an English born backroom team (Mick-Terry Connor) to get dual citizenship lads to declare. Hopefully Liam Kelly, Crowley and Rice are available for March. 
Disapprove This post just sums up everything wrong with the mindset of the typical Ireland football fan. We should have management from England because that will make English footballers want to play for us so that it will feel more like they are playing for England?
And who cares if we have a sh*te league  because England's will always be better than ours so lets just forget about it and ship all our players across as soon as they hit puberty because England is the key to all our footballing dreams and worthiness?
People like yourself deserve us to have the crap football team we currently do and you have clearly never  learnt anything about the contribution our pitiful dependence on our ex colonial masters has contributed to our present woefulness. You should be wearing a blazer in an FAI committee.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 8:58am

That’s easy to answer. Manage outside of Ireland. The league is a pathetic standard with attendances lower than GAA or rugby. The pressure isn’t there. He’s never had the pressure to success of a huge club Never mind country.

Do you think Liam Kelly, Harry Arter, Cyrus Christie, Scott Hogan, Callum Robinson, David McGoldrick, Declan Rice have a clue who Stephen Kenny is? They’ll quite literally go, who’s this lad. Managed in Ireland? So what?

That’s the reality, simple as that. You need to respect the gaffer. Mick appeals to the English lads, who make up the core of our team. We need Kelly, we need Crowley we need Rice. We don’t need Stephen Kenny. 

Stephen Kenny manages Dundalk, there’s villages in England bigger then Dundalk. It’s a different level of expectation which Mick has handled his entire career, bringing Wolves up, keeping a non funded Ipswich team in the Championship each season. Stephen Kenny went to Scotland, got relegated and left. He’s another Pat Fenlon essentially. Only Fenlon managed a large club in Scotland. You could argue Fenlon has more experience for tbe job.

Actually. The grass roots stuff is nonsense. We face an issue in Ireland and it’ll always be there, no matter how good we make the LOI. Players at 16/17/18 will continue to flood through the gates to English youth academies. Very few want to stick it out with Finn Harps. You all need to get some reality here. Football is the third place sports organisation in the country now. We have, and will to an extend always rely on non Irish born players to declare for Ireland. Look at Jacks teams, we need that again. 
Mick the same, since Mick left we lost the ability to get more and more to declare we’ve lost an absolute tone. Mark Noble being one who I’ve alwahs believed Mick would of got on board.

Don’t disregard how important it’ll be have an English born backroom team (Mick-Terry Connor) to get dual citizenship lads to declare. Hopefully Liam Kelly, Crowley and Rice are available for March. 
This is literally one of the worst posts I’ve read on here ever LOL
WTF has GAA attendances got to do with anything?
Mark Noble didn’t declare for us because he is English, and to say Mick would’ve got him on board is ridiculous. 
You clearly no f**k all about Stephen Kenny so please don’t bother with the history lesson. 
And then bring Bundee Ake, CJ Stander and incorrect LOI attendance figures into it LOLLOLLOL All while supporting the FAI board!! 

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 9:13am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

You should go back and watch one of the games from 2002 World Cup.

It's a bit of a shock as I watched one last year.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 9:25am
I’d like the FAI to get Stephen involved in the Irish set up.

Obviously Mick will bring his own No2 but should the FAI get Kenny on board in some capacity so he can be groomed to be the next Ireland manager - a bit of forward planning.

After all the publicity I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kenny move to a bigger club than Dundalk in the near future.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I’d like the FAI to get Stephen involved in the Irish set up.

Obviously Mick will bring his own No2 but should the FAI get Kenny on board in some capacity so he can be groomed to be the next Ireland manager - a bit of forward planning.

After all the publicity I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kenny move to a bigger club than Dundalk in the near future.

+1
I understand it would have been a big step up for Kenny and without friendlies etc. maybe it wasn't the best time as qualfying for 2020 would be a big thing for our country.

I do still believe in the dream of having a fully linked youth and senior team football philosophy and there should be a head of coaching overseeing it who maybe also be U21 manager with a view that he can become the senior team manager at some point. 
Maybe it's Kenny, maybe Carsley. Maybe someone not even Irish but just best suited for role. Either way, I think the FAI should take the examples of Belgium and England and look to copy similar. You can be sure all the other associations are doing the same. We don't want to fall even further behind!

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:47am

Stephen Kenny manages Dundalk, there’s villages in England bigger then Dundalk. It’s a different level of expectation which Mick has handled his entire career, bringing Wolves up, keeping a non funded Ipswich team in the Championship each season. Stephen Kenny went to Scotland, got relegated and left. He’s another Pat Fenlon essentially. Only Fenlon managed a large club in Scotland. You could argue Fenlon has more experience for tbe job.

We should strive to be able to stand on our own two feet and developer out own players and not rely on other jurisdictions to do that. 
The child prodigies will still go off to England I'm sure but for the rest we can do so much better in this country to help young footballers reach their potential in this country. Maybe they get a move to a better league on the back of it. 
To help people reach their potential you need give them the right platform and that is facilities, coaching, contact hours and competition. Football is seriously lacking in these areas. That's the underlying problem wrong with football and it's much bigger than any manager or coach we could hire in the short term. It will get worse if we don't make a complete overhaul of system as more and more people looking to the GAA and rugby. 
Kenny has not managed at the top level but he buys into the need that we need to change the philosophy. I think that's why people were excited about him potentially coming on board as maybe its one step closer.to yhr dream. Whereas Mick feels like more of the same  

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:14pm

This is literally one of the worst posts I’ve read on here ever LOL
WTF has GAA attendances got to do with anything?
Mark Noble didn’t declare for us because he is English, and to say Mick would’ve got him on board is ridiculous. 
You clearly no f**k all about Stephen Kenny so please don’t bother with the history lesson. 
And then bring Bundee Ake, CJ Stander and incorrect LOI attendance figures into it LOLLOLLOL All while supporting the FAI board!! 

Brilliant gibberish! I am sure there was a point in there somewhere!

-------------

Posted By: The GerK
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:16pm
Kenny had never managed near the required level and was sacked from Rovers, Bohs and Dunfermline.

Posted By: cardwizzard
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Kenny had never managed near the required level and was sacked from Rovers, Bohs and Dunfermline.

Got Longford Town, promoted, to a cup final and to the UEFA Cup. Longford!

Smashing job at Derry and Bohs, shafted by Rovers and took Fundalk from relegation battles to the team they are today. 

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:38pm

English lads do not make up ''the core of our team''

Liam Kelly is a player struggling to nail down a place in the Championship's bottom team and has declined to be called up on more than one occasion. Given that the actual Mick McCarthy would have swam over to Dublin to play for us, I'm not sure that his attitude will be greatly appreciated, nor do I see Mick (a fella who left his father's deathbed to manage us in a game) doing an awful lot of chasing these lads. In short, I don't think the manager we appointed is the same Mick that exists in your head. 

Cyrus Christie is our 3rd best right back, and despite what MON thinks, not a midfielder. A useful squad player in the event of injuries to Coleman or Doherty. 

Scott Hogan has done fcuk all for either club or Ireland and any progress he makes from here on in, or doesn't make, is more down to Dean Smith than anyone else. He is not a core member of anything at the moment. 

Harry Arter has played well in one half of a competitive game for us (2nd half, Austria away) and has done nothing since to suggest he can be an important player for us. Eddie Howe decided he wasn't good enough to be a part of what he's doing at Bournemouth either, and Eddie's judgement seems to generally be sound. 

Declan Rice- aye, he will be swayed away from England because we've appointed a manager who kept Ipswich up last year, that's the type of thing that impresses him. I'd suggest that his decision will have little to do with the manager one way or another, though Mick is welcome to the credit if he does re-appear. 

Dan Crowley may or may not be good enough, at the minute he is just a ybig cause celebre and an unknown to the football world in general. Whether he ever plays for us or not, tis unlikely he will ever hit the heights of the greatness predicted for him by assorted granny rule obsessives on this forum. 

Callum Robinson does look promising and will have a role to play, and McGoldrick will probably return. That only tells us we have an issue with strikers more than anything else, both are decent championship strikers and nothing more than that. 

Your last incarnations were banned for repeated trolling, continue on with this obvious bullsh*t and your latest one will join them. Won't be saying it again, so up to yerself after that. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: saintjoey
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:40pm

This post is bizarre.

Anyway shame for Kenny but I think micks the right choice this time to at least try hit the ground running we have to give our best shot of qualifying for this one with us potentially having a couple of home games and there's no time to implement a completely new style as our next game is a qualifier.

One things for sure if Kenny carries on doing what hes doing and cracks Europe groups again with dundalk then he has to get it whenever micks finished up 

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by saintjoey saintjoey wrote:

Anyway shame for Kenny but I think micks the right choice this time to at least try hit the ground running we have to give our best shot of qualifying for this one with us potentially having a couple of home games and there's no time to implement a completely new style as our next game is a qualifier.

One things for sure if Kenny carries on doing what hes doing and cracks Europe groups again with dundalk then he has to get it whenever micks finished up 

I think Stephen's time will come. The very fact that nearly everyone was openly discussing him as the next Ireland manager this week shows how high his stock is and how well regarded he is. if he can keep the Dundalk thing going, he may well be the automatic choice next time.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:53pm

Originally posted by saintjoey saintjoey wrote:

I think Stephen's time will come. The very fact that nearly everyone was openly discussing him as the next Ireland manager this week shows how high his stock is and how well regarded he is. if he can keep the Dundalk thing going, he may well be the automatic choice next time.

Absolutely.

He's still a very young manager.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:57pm
Not disappointed Kenny didn't get it. I hope he can be a future manager for us

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net