You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 523524525526527 735>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 11:52am
Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

"I'm a big supporter of the team, unless I can't get a baby sitter, or plan time off for a fixture that was announced about a year ago, or its against a team who I don't consider worthy of my attendance. I'll see you for the top seed game next year though"
This type of gatekeeping is so cringe. You don’t know anything about the circumstances of somebody’s life. Be it financial, logistical or anything else. Disgraceful carry on from anybody who shames people for daring to miss a match every now and then.

Edited by SeaSharp - 28 Sep 2022 at 11:52am
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

"I'm a big supporter of the team, unless I can't get a baby sitter, or plan time off for a fixture that was announced about a year ago, or its against a team who I don't consider worthy of my attendance. I'll see you for the top seed game next year though"
This type of gatekeeping is so cringe. You don’t know anything about the circumstances of somebody’s life. Be it financial, logistical or anything else. Disgraceful carry on from anybody who shames people for daring to miss a match every now and then.

Aye, we have enough cyclical arguments going on without rehashing another one.
Idah Dream!
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:50pm
Everyone is different and has different circumstances. Thousands of people can rock up to the ground and go to the match. For the price of the ticket

Others have to take a dsay off, maybe a day and a half, pay for diesel or train ticket, and maybe pay for a hotel.

So yeah, if someone doesn't make a game midweek, they don't owe anyone an explanation  
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:54pm

It's not gatekeeping at all, particularly when the discussion around Kenny is focused on the FAI's finances.
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:59pm
His game management over the 2 games was poor. Some bad decisions with the substitutions. I'm still under the opinion that he should get the Euro's campaign but I wouldn't be annoyed if the FAI were to seek a change now. I doubt it will happen though. 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:59pm

It's not gatekeeping at all, particularly when the discussion around Kenny is focused on the FAI's finances.
He  could have a season ticket for all you know so the financial questions irrelevant 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Everyone is different and has different circumstances. Thousands of people can rock up to the ground and go to the match. For the price of the ticket

Others have to take a dsay off, maybe a day and a half, pay for diesel or train ticket, and maybe pay for a hotel.

So yeah, if someone doesn't make a game midweek, they don't owe anyone an explanation  

Totally agree.  Personal circumstances should not be taken into account when allocating away points as was argued by a few posters on here previously but they should certainly be taken into account by fellow fans when talking about attending games.  My attendance of games has fallen off a cliff since young kids arrived and moving out of Dublin.  Couldn’t give a sh*t if someone judged me and would be well able to snap back if they did.  Have a family season ticket which gets used by family/friends. 

Edited by Baldrick - 28 Sep 2022 at 1:15pm
AKA pedantic kunt
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

He  could have a season ticket for all you know so the financial questions irrelevant 

I hope he is. It'll to cover the cost of Big Sam, Chris Hughton, Glenn Hoddle or whoever he has suggested for the job this week.

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Totally agree.  Personal circumstances should not be taken into account when allocating away points as was argued by a few posters on here previously but they should certainly be taken into account by fellow fans when talking about attending games.  My attendance of games has fallen off a cliff since young kids arrived and moving out of Dublin.  Couldn’t give a sh*t if someone judged me and would be well able to snap back if they did.  Have a family season ticket which gets used by family/friends. 
 Too busy on Tuesday's with the cross dressers club i take it Hug
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
williemc83 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williemc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:58pm
For me, I think we would have finished third in this Group and third in the last World Cup qualifying Group irrespective of who the manager was. We may have got better results against Finland in his first NL Group with a differebt manager but that campaign was a complete sh*t show of injuries and Covid. 

Could we have been more competitive in his 3 campaigns and finished third with more points with a different manager? Possibly, I expect McCarthy and O'Neill to draw home and away with Serbia but I would also expect us to have lost home and away to Portugal having surrendered possession for 90 minutes and been under constant pressure. McCarthy & O'Neill would likely have secured 1-0 defeats across the board against Luxembourg, Azerbaijan and Armenia but I'd struggle to see either of them compete against Ukraine and Scotland given the tactics employed. Similarly, I would expect Slovakia would have outplayed a team managed by McCarthy and O'Neill in the play off. 

There are justified reasons to criticise Kenny and everyone is entitled to their opinion but looking at it objectively we would likely be in the same place irrespective of the manager i.e. 3 seeds in draws and maintaining Group B status for NL. On a positive note - he is bringing through talent and getting people excited about football again. 
greengooner View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 2:16pm
BTW the players in the last two games have to take a measure of responsibility for:

a. blowing a one nil lead
b. (almost) blowing a two nil lead (they did blow it but got a 3rd thank god!)

when you get into those positions, as a professional footballer and from my limited understanding of professional football is that you're taught how to protect a lead.

You don't give away possession.
you don't do stupid stuff
you don't become lazy
you dont switch off

you work your bo11ix off for the team (i know this one is entirely optional and prob not taught to professionals Wink)

in both games, many/most/all the irish players were guilty of the first 4 above. the goals we conceded were as a result of all of the 4 above.

that's not entirely on Kenny TBF

Angry

Edited by greengooner - 28 Sep 2022 at 2:18pm
Platini are you listening
You'd better keep your trophy glistening
Cos we'll be over next year
To drink all your beer,
Walking in an Irish Wonderland.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 5:13pm

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

I hope he is. It'll to cover the cost of Big Sam, Chris Hughton, Glenn Hoddle or whoever he has suggested for the job this week.

Michael O'Neill

I never advocated Bog Sam

I threw GH out there as an open question as opposed to advocacy. 

I did suggest Hughton.  Yes.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 5:18pm
How did the Big Sam v Kenny dichotomy come about?

Is it just a figment of the imagination that this is the alternative?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 5:24pm
Its like Stephen Kenny is the only manager in the world that can play good football and would manage us.  Like I've said many time he might have great ideas but maybe he isnt the man to implement them.   I'd keep him on for the start of the Euros just about.  IMO he has good ideas but is a bit out of his depth and hasnt the personality or stature that the job warrants.  He also seems lacking in the tactical department at this level and seems to make the wrong substitutions or doesnt spot a problem and nip it in the bud.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

How did the Big Sam v Kenny dichotomy come about?

Is it just a figment of the imagination that this is the alternative?

The kennyites believe its either Kenny or sam. Its there of justifying Kenny.
Incidentally,  whod be more in demand by a club??????
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Its like Stephen Kenny is the only manager in the world that can play good football and would manage us.  Like I've said many time he might have great ideas but maybe he isnt the man to implement them.   I'd keep him on for the start of the Euros just about.  IMO he has good ideas but is a bit out of his depth and hasnt the personality or stature that the job warrants.  He also seems lacking in the tactical department at this level and seems to make the wrong substitutions or doesnt spot a problem and nip it in the bud.

Kind of agree with most of this. If a new manager came in I'd want to continue to try play as we have done but perhaps he can influence the team even further and help motivate us to play good for longer periods and not look weak at times when under pressure. But not sure who this manager could be. 
Thats why I think we go again and hope thise things get better with Kenny. If it goes to sh*te and we continue to have results you really can't afford like Armenia away, Lux and Azerbaijan then it's a case of this is just not good enough.

Maybe another coach in to help out too could be the answer for next campaign 

Edited by t_rAndy - 28 Sep 2022 at 5:52pm
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 6:04pm
One area where Kenny can immediately improve is being more conservative with what he is saying in the media. 
He is asking for trouble by saying things like "we should be going to win the group" and "the performance was exceptional". Even though I'm sure it's well intended in terms of trying to be positive, he is leaving himself open to critics. I

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 6:12pm
I enjoy watching this Irish side but the inconsistency is infuriating. Nobody knows what version of the team will turn up on any given night.

Another annoying thing is that we are not consistent over the 90 minutes. Sometimes good in the first half and then flat in the second, or vice versa.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 523524525526527 735>
  Share Topic