Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 416417418419420 735>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 12:23am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

I had been a very vocal critic of Kenny particularly in the first part of the campaign..I thought we looked badly organised and despite some odd passages of play that were encouraging we didn't really seem to click. The change to 3-4-2-1 has been a game changer for us. Robinson has suited it especially as have Doherty; Cullen and MGrath in particular. The emergence of some young guys like Bazunu, Omoobidele, Connolly, Idah, Knight and O'Shea has certainly given some hope. A regain of form for Hendrick and Duffy with Cullen emerging as a real linchpin means we look very settled and capable. I wouldn't just be for jumping the gun yet with Kenny and would wait until the Nations league to make a decision one way or the other on him.
 As you i am in the same boat as you stick , but i did think Portugal were poor on the night and i am still in the Kenny has to go brigade as when you look at the table on Sunday night does anyone think that would be good enough ?

Exit out of the internet and just give it up.

Embarrassing. Honestly. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 4:06am

I had been a very vocal critic of Kenny particularly in the first part of the campaign..I thought we looked badly organised and despite some odd passages of play that were encouraging we didn't really seem to click. The change to 3-4-2-1 has been a game changer for us. Robinson has suited it especially as have Doherty; Cullen and MGrath in particular. The emergence of some young guys like Bazunu, Omoobidele, Connolly, Idah, Knight and O'Shea has certainly given some hope. A regain of form for Hendrick and Duffy with Cullen emerging as a real linchpin means we look very settled and capable. I wouldn't just be for jumping the gun yet with Kenny and would wait until the Nations league to make a decision one way or the other on him.
 As you i am in the same boat as you stick , but i did think Portugal were poor on the night and i am still in the Kenny has to go brigade as when you look at the table on Sunday night does anyone think that would be good enough ?

It's obvious your opinion on him won't be changed, which is fair enough. 

But if you seriously looked at the draw and thought we had a chance of finishing ahead of either Serbia or Portugal, then that's even more bizarre than your agenda.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 8:34am
It’s clearly a personal thing with the Kenny out lads, From the start they’ve said the opposite but it’s clear as day now.

Lads so entrenched in their views that they’re willing to make eejits out of themselves rather than acknowledge what’s going on around them. Spamming this thread in dwindling numbers just because of some personal anti Dublin, anti league of Ireland personal bullsh*t. 

If anyone can offer me a good reason why we need a new manager I’m all ears. Because despite the numerous posts on here telling us he’s not our man we haven’t been told why exactly, a decent reasoned explanation is needed. 

Otherwise grow up, shut up & get behind the team 
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:01am
If there was another poll on keeping Stephen Kenny, or not, it would have to be up around 95% now.

I just can't get my head around the few on here that keep saying 'Look at the table' or 'We lost at home to Luxembourg'.

We were never going to get out of this group and finally we are playing something that resembles football.

There is nobody I can think of who will know our players the way he does, play this style and do it for that salary.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Do you see progress?

If you say yes, then why would you get rid of a manager?

If you say no, you are ...

A.) In denial
B.) Consiously spoofing us
C.) Have no idea about football

Or maybe you (for whatever reason) just hate Stephen Kenny. Just be honest. Your critique makes no sense.

I missed this last night. Few too many cans.

I'd like Murph to answer the above. Nice set of questions. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:16am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

It’s clearly a personal thing with the Kenny out lads, From the start they’ve said the opposite but it’s clear as day now.

Lads so entrenched in their views that they’re willing to make eejits out of themselves rather than acknowledge what’s going on around them. Spamming this thread in dwindling numbers just because of some personal anti Dublin, anti league of Ireland personal bullsh*t. 

If anyone can offer me a good reason why we need a new manager I’m all ears. Because despite the numerous posts on here telling us he’s not our man we haven’t been told why exactly, a decent reasoned explanation is needed. 

I would very much doubt anyone has a personal animosity towards Kenny. Such language doesn't support your second paragraph where you declare you are all ears to anyone suggesting a different manager. Now I was for quite a while though Kenny has won me over a bit. I am not so stubborn as to ignore what we have been seeing recently. A win tonight would cement a feeling that we are on the right track. There are some caveats though:

- We have been playing without any real pressure recently as no chance of qualification.

- Anthony Barry seems to have made a huge difference since coming on board. It is imperative he is kept on.

- We have still only won one game in the qualifying campaign. Tonight is huge and a win crucial. Anything less will take the shine off recent performances.

Now this isn't to say that things have not improved and for me Kenny deserves the Nations league campaign but I would be holding off on a new contract just yet.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:24am

I would very much doubt anyone has a personal animosity towards Kenny. Such language doesn't support your second paragraph where you declare you are all ears to anyone suggesting a different manager. Now I was for quite a while though Kenny has won me over a bit. I am not so stubborn as to ignore what we have been seeing recently. A win tonight would cement a feeling that we are on the right track. There are some caveats though:

- We have been playing without any real pressure recently as no chance of qualification.

- Anthony Barry seems to have made a huge difference since coming on board. It is imperative he is kept on.

- We have still only won one game in the qualifying campaign. Tonight is huge and a win crucial. Anything less will take the shine off recent performances.

Now this isn't to say that things have not improved and for me Kenny deserves the Nations league campaign but I would be holding off on a new contract just yet.
You tell me has form In this regard and has been pretty open about it. 
Im obviously not accusing all of the Kenny out lads of the same thing though. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:55am
the other thing that we have to consider as well is just how fine the margins have been in all the games under Kenny. I think apart from the England game, we have generally been right in the game and maybe with a better finisher could have got the more positive result while on the other hand we were outdone by things like:
Losing the penalty shootout (a lottery)
Conceding to excellent finishes (Lux, Az)
Star player drags his team to beat us by skin of their teeth (Serbia, Portugal).

We have such a good foundation of a team, flooded with very goo keepers and defenders. Our midfield and forwards are solid workmanlike players. What we just need is really that one or two players who are really talented in final third. If we had a quality number 10 or striker then we would be a very good team I think.
Wouldn’t give up on Connolly or Parrott yet but hopefully something else comes up soon from underage 

Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:12am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Exit out of the internet and just give it up.

Embarrassing. Honestly. 

LOL
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:17am
We are constantly reminded that football is "all about opinions". But for a small very vocal minority on here even mild criticism of Kenny's record leads to a pile-on, accusations of personal vendettas etc etc. Ex-players opinions are dismissed, unless of course they support Kenny. Finishing 4th in this competition is failure, unless the word failure has lost all its meaning. I think (hope) we will finish 3rd, that reflects our current level. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:35am
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

We are constantly reminded that football is "all about opinions". But for a small very vocal minority on here even mild criticism of Kenny's record leads to a pile-on, accusations of personal vendettas etc etc. Ex-players opinions are dismissed, unless of course they support Kenny. Finishing 4th in this competition is failure, unless the word failure has lost all its meaning. I think (hope) we will finish 3rd, that reflects our current level. 

But what do you want? 
What are your expectations? 
Have you seen any improvement in how we play now to 2-3 years ago? 

These are the questions none of you have answered. 
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:40am

But what do you want? 

Finish 3rd, that would reflect our current capabilities, not sure what is so extreme about that position.
In the last 3 matches there has been a notable improvement in not just results but performances too.
If that continues then SK is entitled to expect a contract extension.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:43am

But what do you want? 

Improvement in how we play from 2-3 years ago is relative. We are playing easier on the eye football yet 2 years ago we were one goal from automatic qualification to the Euros in a group containing Denmark and Switzerland. My expectations at the beginning of the campaign was to be pushing for a play off spot. I want to qualify for tournaments. Has Kenny shown enough? Not wholly convinced he has to be honest. But more time needed.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:51am
Those who are so voiciferous in defending SK....would you happy to give him a contract until 2026 ? I assume the majority will say No as they would have an expectation of improved results sooner rather than later. So, at what stage do they believe a change is necessary ? Are they prepared to write off the 2022 NL as well? Or even Euro 2024 ? Are they happy to accept nice possession based football with no cutting edge and non qualification ? The alternative is a more direct approach which not as pretty on the eye but has proven to get better results.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:55am
Oh ya hoof it long again and we will be banging in the goals. We have the same forwards no matter how we play. We have been doung ok recently with chances created. Were working on the goals part but we cannot create a ready made goal scorer if he aint there yet.
I love beer gardens
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Those who are so voiciferous in defending SK....would you happy to give him a contract until 2026 ? I assume the majority will say No as they would have an expectation of improved results sooner rather than later. So, at what stage do they believe a change is necessary ? Are they prepared to write off the 2022 NL as well? Or even Euro 2024 ? Are they happy to accept nice possession based football with no cutting edge and non qualification ? The alternative is a more direct approach which not as pretty on the eye but has proven to get better results.

Proven? How is hoof ball proven to get results? What results are these you speak of? I must’ve missed the part in our history when were absolutely tearing it up LOL 
We’ve qualified for 3 tournaments in 30 years ffs 
SK should 100% given Euro 2024 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:57am
Scored 7 in our last 3, conceded none and had a perfect goal disallowed. We're not in a bad place at all Clap
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:58am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Oh ya hoof it long again and we will be banging in the goals. We have the same forwards no matter how we play. We have been doung ok recently with chances created. Were working on the goals part but we cannot create a ready made goal scorer if he aint there yet.

Ffs why are you obsessed with the hoof it long. As if that is the only alternative. Direct play doesn't necessarily mean hoof ball.

Edited by Stickittotheman - 14 Nov 2021 at 10:59am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 416417418419420 735>
  Share Topic