Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 735>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 8:24am
All Kenny needs to do is play something that resembles football while mainitaining the standard we are used to i.e battling it out for 2nd,
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

All Kenny needs to do is play something that resembles football while mainitaining the standard we are used to i.e battling it out for 2nd,

Which would you you prefer: Playing conservative football the manager deems will get a result against superior opposition and gets us to the finals or playing football that resembles your idea of football and finish third?

Why do we always accept 2nd best, it's such a crippling small country Irish mentality! Roy Keane had the right attitude in 2002. He was there to win the tournament, not just to make up the numbers and we can all admit Ireland should have gone a lot further in that competition.

Kenny will implement a new system which, demands us to play football. International football is nowhere near the standard of recent decades and smaller nations have proved they can compete with a competent system or style regardless of the standard of players eg. Iceland, Northern Ireland and more recently Finland punching above their respective weights.

Can we for once abolish the myth that "we don't have the players". We have a lot of decent Premier League standard footballers who are more than capable of stringing some passes together with fluidity. I will be the first to admit we have always punched slightly above our weight by remaining competitive since the 1980's but with the current crop of exciting youngsters emerging, it is the right time for Kenny to put his stamp on Irish football.

"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 10:42am

Which would you you prefer: Playing conservative football the manager deems will get a result against superior opposition and gets us to the finals or playing football that resembles your idea of football and finish third?

Football. Sick to death of hoofball.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 11:42am
Kenny deserves his chance. Look at the managers of places like Sweden, Norway and Iceland for example, their coaches would not have had much of a playing career either, it's not that unusual anymore. He has had a phenomenal record in the LoI and has always had his teams over achieving and playing nice football, he has a track record of making players better and has already proven this with the u21s team over the past 12 months. The arrangement with Mick taking the job and then Kenny taking over after was unusual and risky, but it looks like it will be a good idea at the moment as Kenny has won people over with the u21s and has now built a relationship with the very promising group coming through.

I have to disagree that we can only expect 3 or 4 players to emerge from this crop of players. Molumby, Connolly, Parrott, Obafemi, O'Connor, Idah, O'Shea to name but a few who I would expect to have good careers and that is excluding some other very good players in that team. 

Another thing possibly worth noting is that we needed to stop paying our managers ridiculous wages. I don't know what Kenny will be on, but I would imagine it will be a fair whack less than what Trap or O'Neill were earning and that's the way it should be in future.

I think he will be the right man to blend the young crop coming through with the current squad and will get us playing better football which we have been crying out for. Agree 100% that fans will need to manage their expectations though, regardless of who was in charge it would be highly unlikely for us to qualify for the WC2022.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 12:42pm

Football. Sick to death of hoofball.

Can't stomach going to home games or aways anymore. We have watched some rancid games in the past 10 years boys. I will be more than patient with Kenny if it's going in the right direction. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 12:54pm

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Why do we always accept 2nd best, it's such a crippling small country Irish mentality! Roy Keane had the right attitude in 2002. He was there to win the tournament, not just to make up the numbers and we can all admit Ireland should have gone a lot further in that competition.

Kenny will implement a new system which, demands us to play football. International football is nowhere near the standard of recent decades and smaller nations have proved they can compete with a competent system or style regardless of the standard of players eg. Iceland, Northern Ireland and more recently Finland punching above their respective weights.

Can we for once abolish the myth that "we don't have the players". We have a lot of decent Premier League standard footballers who are more than capable of stringing some passes together with fluidity. I will be the first to admit we have always punched slightly above our weight by remaining competitive since the 1980's but with the current crop of exciting youngsters emerging, it is the right time for Kenny to put his stamp on Irish football.

Is that the last time Roy Keane was right about anything? Four years later we would have at least reached the semi-finals, possibly the final, if we had a world-class midfielder giving his all for the green jersey. But, of course, that world-class midfielder was behaving like Roy Keane. Lest we forget.

4 years later was Germany 2006 where we failed to qualify?! I assume you're referring to 2002?

It's all ifs and buts with the pre tournament debacle in 2002. Some players maintain they performed better without the pressure of Keane on their backs.

As long as Kenny implements something that mildly represents a system of play, unlike the current and previous regime where the "philosophy" is a tight defence and hot potato hoofball in the hope of nicking a goal from a set piece or mistake. Cry

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 07 Feb 2020 at 12:56pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:56pm
Finally the FAI are taking adult decisions and have appointed Stephen Kenny as Ireland manager. 

The possibilty of having a very young team at a Euro's is worth it alone.

Molumby,Parrott,Connolly, O'Shea, Knight,Obafemi, Collins and probably O'Connor will be the ones promoted from the under 21's immediately.

Exciting times.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:04pm
I honestly don’t think we can conjecture what SK will do. We simply don’t know. His first efforts may be to use the bulk of the current squad, and promote lads like McCarthy, Long and Arter to more prominent positions in the team. He may see that through to the Euros before looking to evolve with the new lads. Alternatively, he may instantly promote youth and try and build from there.

We are also going to have several months football, in the event that it gets back on track in June (unlikely as I feel that is). Some players will hit form, others will lose it, players will transfer, players will fall out of favour with clubs. There may even be a few players out there that Kenny has earmarked, that we don’t necessarily expect (Johnny Hayes as an example).

This is a different brief to the one held by Trapp, MON, and Mick, which was to qualify at all costs. This will have a serious development angle, much like with Southgate, and with a domestic vibe too, given Kenny’s history with the LOI.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:10pm
All managers, bar some true greats and a few lucky lunatics, are conservative in nature. This is even more true when one bad residing, especially at international level, is so hard to recover from. I can’t see changes being made for changes sake. Some lads will get a chance due to the reality of the situation. 
Most of those players are still just potential without even putting down a full season for their clubs. Molumby has a decent chance as we have no midfield, but I don’t think there is going to be massive changes immediately. 

Mick didn’t just keep picking lads because they aren’t great, it was because there often wasn’t a choice! 

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:19pm
I think what PM said is mainly right about Mick and whom he picked was what was available to him.

Let’s be honest if Kenny’s first game is the playoff you are going to see one maybe 2 young lads in the team and possibly one more in the squad.

If the nations league comes first then things could be a lot different 
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Finally the FAI are taking adult decisions and have appointed Stephen Kenny as Ireland manager. 

Molumby,Parrott,Connolly, O'Shea, Knight,Obafemi, Collins and probably O'Connor will be the ones promoted from the under 21's immediately.

Exciting times.

O'Connor's not going to get picked playing in the Scottish championship

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 04 Apr 2020 at 6:48pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:50pm
Legs have gone 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Exciting times.

Especially when he was benched at Thistle for the last 2 games before league was suspended
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 7:00pm
Plenty of the fans of the Tan League Live and hope he f**ks up and the league of Ireland Loyalists feel he will be our Johan Cruyff. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 7:02pm
On a positive note... exciting times for ireland. A much needed boost of optimism
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 7:05pm
I wish him the best. He needs time though it not going to all gel over night
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Exciting times.

Especially when he was benched at Thistle for the last 2 games before league was suspended

I added probably there over that but he is very highly rated and can play 4-5 positions.
I wouldn't hold a loan spell at a team that is totally struggling against him. They are playing an awful brand of hoofball in a sh*t league. He will be back at Celtic next year and promoted to senior team.
The fact he was Celtic youth captain within 3-4 games tells more than a crappy loan spell to harden him up.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 7:44pm
Really hope he's a success...his first game of any description might not be until 2021. 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 735>
  Share Topic