You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Kenny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 206207208209210 294>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 9:57pm
I love this people are pissed off because Kenny did get us a trip to a tournament ( not that we could travel even if it was on)

What people are pissed off with is Kenny played an attractive brand of football the u 21’s under him we’re playing the best football the country had ever seen and at the same time Mick had the seniors plodding along and just keeping pace in the group.
And that when Kenny got hold of the seniors we would be transformed but what has transpired is nothing of the sort we have 1 goal from a set piece and people are worried can he takes us forward and if he doesn’t hit the ground running in the group his time will be sort lived 
Sponsored Links

Mr Brick View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Brick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 2:35am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

What's it got to do with Mick? constantly referring back to Mick is just as bad as the saga around Gerry Peyton!

He should be given the campaign. I can't see the FAI sacking him anyway.

He needs to get a result against Serbia and a win against Luxembourg. If he doesn't he'll be fighting an uphill battle and any support will be gone out the window.

The reference is that is a precedent and it’s a fair treatment of a previous manager who had a similar start to Kenny.  There is no reason Kenny should be treated any differently just because a number of posters have pre judged Kenny before he got the job and they are pissed off they can’t go to a tournament.   Kerr also got a campaign and a half.  Kenny should at least be allowed the world
Cup campaign and then he can be judged fairy and squarely.  It’s not that unreasonable but the likes of Murph and Brick made up their mind before a ball was even kicked.  Crazy stuff.  
McCarthy's friendlies were against the likes of Russia, Holland, Croatia, Czech Republic, Mexico and Portugal. Ireland scored nine goals. Not great, but light years ahead of your "similar" goalless drudgery against mighty Finland, Wales and Bulgaria (to be fair, Kenny's best performance was the competitive game v Slovakia). I believe he'll survive a defeat in Serbia but not embarrassment against Luxembourg.  
Is fearr Gaeilge briste ná Béarla clíste.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 6:40am
ah lads stop will yeh, Juergen or Jose wouldn’t coax a performance out of this group ffs, time to stop blaming managers for lads who just can’t manage it at international level. Kenny got sacked for panicking under pressure at bohs , did a good job at Derry, was in charge at a small club in Scotland and didn’t achieve, failed at rovers and was great at Dundalk, he plays or tries to play good passing football and might be ok at this level , but it doesn’t look good till he gets a full squad and the team show some bollocks and he shows he can tactically change it up if needs be.
Wes_Wanderers View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes_Wanderers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 7:39am
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

ah lads stop will yeh, Juergen or Jose wouldn’t coax a performance out of this group ffs, time to stop blaming managers for lads who just can’t manage it at international level. Kenny got sacked for panicking under pressure at bohs , did a good job at Derry, was in charge at a small club in Scotland and didn’t achieve, failed at rovers and was great at Dundalk, he plays or tries to play good passing football and might be ok at this level , but it doesn’t look good till he gets a full squad and the team show some bollocks and he shows he can tactically change it up if needs be.

Kenny lasted three years at Bohemians getting to a cup final and winning the League. He also got Dunfermline to a cup final and despite being relegated, it must be remembered they were already stone dead last when he took over. It should not be forgotten that he also got Longford promoted and into the Uefa cup qualifiers. I would say Shamrock Rovers is the only job of his career where he really failed to achieve anything.

Edited by Wes_Wanderers - 11 Jan 2021 at 7:40am
oldbilly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 8:29am
don’t get me wrong I enjoyed kennys spell at bohs it was great football, but at the end he was visibly making bad calls. Still think he was sacked too soon but he was demanding and getting a very big budget so was always under pressure to produce.

Edited by oldbilly - 11 Jan 2021 at 8:29am
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

I love this people are pissed off because Kenny did get us a trip to a tournament ( not that we could travel even if it was on)

What people are pissed off with is Kenny played an attractive brand of football the u 21’s under him we’re playing the best football the country had ever seen and at the same time Mick had the seniors plodding along and just keeping pace in the group.
And that when Kenny got hold of the seniors we would be transformed but what has transpired is nothing of the sort we have 1 goal from a set piece and people are worried can he takes us forward and if he doesn’t hit the ground running in the group his time will be sort lived 
Lest we forget the behind closed doors friendly Kennys 21s played vs McCarthys crop of seniors and the 21s beat them LOL

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man.
Wes_Wanderers View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes_Wanderers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 9:11am
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

don’t get me wrong I enjoyed kennys spell at bohs it was great football, but at the end he was visibly making bad calls. Still think he was sacked too soon but he was demanding and getting a very big budget so was always under pressure to produce.

That is fair enough, but still, in his first season he took them from the lower end of the table to second, in his second year they won the league, and his third year they finished runners up to a great Shelbourne team. With all that I do not think it could be painted as a bad spell in his career.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 9:51am
When any manager takes over I like to give them time, some I'm more positive about then others. I'm very much in favour of Kenny for now, but if this campaign pans out like the NL I'll have to change my mind. I don't get why some fans are so trenchant in their opinions and feel the need to follow through all the way with it and not just go with the flow, it seems their egos will not allow them to change their opinion. They'll just double down on it. 

It was the same as the Trap v O'Neill arguments, they both had good results for a certain period playing horrible football, and yet some were so one sided they would argue how great their favourite was and how terrible the other was. 

Why cant Mr Brick, Murphy and Ebouie209 not just let him have this WC campaign and judge him on that? 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 10:23am
lads of the World Cup campaign is like the NL campaigns I don’t think anyone will be saying Kenny should stay on.  

That’s the difference.  Many of us are being fair and giving the man time but also know that it results continue like this all the way through the campaign he will be in a difficult position.  

Counter that against the likes of Murph who were against Kenny from the start and have never given him a chance and others who want him to go after 1 competitive game and a load of friendlies.  He deserves a campaign like any other manager previously.  Esp when we are at a time when the squad needs rebuilding and it is poor in quality.  

AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 10:55am
https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/duffs-shock-ireland-exit-could-clear-way-for-john-oshea-to-move-up-39953649.html

Thus article suggests o Shea is a possible coach. Would make sense.  Also suggests that duff defended Kenny but also suggested changes but this sounds like classic counter briefing by the fai.  Interesting the last line regarding Alan Kelly. 😀😀😀
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 11:18am
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/duffs-shock-ireland-exit-could-clear-way-for-john-oshea-to-move-up-39953649.html

Click in the link and delete the following %20/

Edited by horsebox - 11 Jan 2021 at 11:24am

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

lads of the World Cup campaign is like the NL campaigns I don’t think anyone will be saying Kenny should stay on.  

That’s the difference.  Many of us are being fair and giving the man time but also know that it results continue like this all the way through the campaign he will be in a difficult position.  

Counter that against the likes of Murph who were against Kenny from the start and have never given him a chance and others who want him to go after 1 competitive game and a load of friendlies.  He deserves a campaign like any other manager previously.  Esp when we are at a time when the squad needs rebuilding and it is poor in quality.  

He deserves a campaign, we'll know by the end of it if we are going anywhere or if it's a dead horse. 
Of course, we have to take into account the squad is not very good at the moment, but I think there comes a time when you just know. 
Personally, I think with a full team together we can attack for 2nd place and if he achieves that then he deserves the next campaign too. If he doesn't, then it really depends on how we performed. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 11:22am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/duffs-shock-ireland-exit-could-clear-way-for-john-oshea-to-move-up-39953649.html

Site is breaking the link...open it and delete the last few chars after .html and it loads fine.
Het-field View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 11:33am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

He deserves a campaign, we'll know by the end of it if we are going anywhere or if it's a dead horse. 
Of course, we have to take into account the squad is not very good at the moment, but I think there comes a time when you just know. 
Personally, I think with a full team together we can attack for 2nd place and if he achieves that then he deserves the next campaign too. If he doesn't, then it really depends on how we performed. 

I think its in Kenny's hands. If we qualify, he is in situ going forward. No questions asked. If we don't qualify, but there is a development of the team, with the involvement of young and new players, and some positive performances and results, he will get another round. 

The problem arises if the results are not good, and he sticks with the so called "tried and trusted". At this point, we will be 18 months into his reign, development would be essentially minimal on a competitive scale, and the results would either be static, or in further decline. At that point, there will be a serious discussion.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I think its in Kenny's hands. If we qualify, he is in situ going forward. No questions asked. If we don't qualify, but there is a development of the team, with the involvement of young and new players, and some positive performances and results, he will get another round. 

The problem arises if the results are not good, and he sticks with the so called "tried and trusted". At this point, we will be 18 months into his reign, development would be essentially minimal on a competitive scale, and the results would either be static, or in further decline. At that point, there will be a serious discussion.

It will be up there with the loaves and the fishes
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 12:12pm
The Examiner say Duff left due to issues with the FAI not with Kenny. The journalist seems to think Duff is a candidate for the Celtic job which seems pretty far fetched  

It would damage this forums' reputation
Het-field View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

It will be up there with the loaves and the fishes

Oh, don't get me wrong, qualification is extraordinarily unlikely right now.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

The Examiner say Duff left due to issues with the FAI not with Kenny. The journalist seems to think Duff is a candidate for the Celtic job which seems pretty far fetched  

That story was Published on sat.  David Sneyed a very good football journalist imo who clearly spoke to sources close to Kenny and Duffer and the dressing room.  

The Indo article was published today and to me there is a bit of counter briefing in their which releases info that duffer didn’t just have a problem with the reaction to the video but also suggested changes with the setup.  This is someone close to the action briefing against Kenny in response to the examiner article IMO.  

I would say the Indo’s sources are closer to the blazers and the examiner sources are closer to the tracksuits hence the difference emphasis.  That’s my reading of it. 
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 206207208209210 294>
  Share Topic