You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 735>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I'm not sure I buy the "inexperienced" line. He's 47 years old and has been managing for the last 21 years.

Exactly how much experience is he supposed to get under his belt before he becomes eligible for the Ireland job?

Go the Paul Cook route and see how he does then. His only venture outside the league of Ireland ended up with getting sacked by Dunfermline. For me, his record isn't any better than someone like Pat Fenlon apart from better football.
The only way is up
Sponsored Links

notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:10pm
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/stephen-kenny-i-am-absolutely-qualified-to-take-ireland-job-1.3707568

Some great quotes from him here in my opinion. He obviously has a huge amount of self-belief, would love to see him get it 
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I'm not sure I buy the "inexperienced" line. He's 47 years old and has been managing for the last 21 years.

Exactly how much experience is he supposed to get under his belt before he becomes eligible for the Ireland job?

True. Talking to an LOI player he is very much a man who is respected by his players too. After years of success I think it's not debatable that this man is (a) a leader  (b) a good coach (c) able to deal with grown men!
The media piece might be a difficult transition, but it is a tough job and you have to take it on

There are definite risks with an LOI manager but I think people are nearly focusing in on all the negatives and ignoring the positives. He's nearly 50 years old and has been managing (successfully) for two decades. It's not as if he is some clueless rookie who hasn't a clue.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:21pm

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

True. Talking to an LOI player he is very much a man who is respected by his players too. After years of success I think it's not debatable that this man is (a) a leader  (b) a good coach (c) able to deal with grown men!
The media piece might be a difficult transition, but it is a tough job and you have to take it on

There are definite risks with an LOI manager but I think people are nearly focusing in on all the negatives and ignoring the positives. He's nearly 50 years old and has been managing (successfully) for two decades. It's not as if he is some clueless rookie who hasn't a clue.

thats all true but and this is coming from a LOI fan there would be a big step up. let be honest, that does not mean hes wouldnt be able to do it. if he got it he would have to come up against some big team with some serious players. its a measure of the guy that he is in the frame for the top job. no one knows if it would be too big for him unless he got it. he might be the best thing since sliced bread.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:23pm

Been at it a long time. Massively experienced, highs and lows tbf, but still clearly hugely hungry. Of course the national team is another step up but imo he's well capable.

In saying that I don't expect him to have us looking like a proper team within a couple of games, if he comes in now (I don't think he's any chance of getting it now, McCarthy seems the perfect fit for the FAI). It will take time for anyone to fix the mess left behind, and with those potential playoffs to come no matter how we do in qualifying, once there were clear signs of progress going into those playoffs, that would be enough for me (probably not for the majority though, and it's why I could see McCarthy being an utter disaster).

If I were Kenny though I'm not sure I'd take it on a short term contract, which is what I'm guessing will be offered to McCarthy. He needs a longer term contract with a bigger remit than just the senior team, possibly a say in the U21s, U19s appointments, or a director of football position with Kenny having a say in such an appointment. For that to happen I think his hand would be far stronger in 18 months time, if whoever comes in now does badly.

Either way, it would be a massive gamble for Kenny to take it on any sort of short term contract. He has a great gig at Dundalk and if he leaves that and it doesn't work out, where to from there?
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

If I were Kenny though I'm not sure I'd take it on a short term contract, which is what I'm guessing will be offered to McCarthy. 

Mick is hardly going to take a short term contract. If Mick was the manager and we qualified for the euros there is no way he is just going to give it up then. He would definitely want a World Cup campaign too at the very least.

Edited by grannyrule - 23 Nov 2018 at 3:03pm
The only way is up
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Been at it a long time. Massively experienced, highs and lows tbf, but still clearly hugely hungry. Of course the national team is another step up but imo he's well capable.

In saying that I don't expect him to have us looking like a proper team within a couple of games, if he comes in now (I don't think he's any chance of getting it now, McCarthy seems the perfect fit for the FAI). It will take time for anyone to fix the mess left behind, and with those potential playoffs to come no matter how we do in qualifying, once there were clear signs of progress going into those playoffs, that would be enough for me (probably not for the majority though, and it's why I could see McCarthy being an utter disaster).

If I were Kenny though I'm not sure I'd take it on a short term contract, which is what I'm guessing will be offered to McCarthy. He needs a longer term contract with a bigger remit than just the senior team, possibly a say in the U21s, U19s appointments, or a director of football position with Kenny having a say in such an appointment. For that to happen I think his hand would be far stronger in 18 months time, if whoever comes in now does badly.

Either way, it would be a massive gamble for Kenny to take it on any sort of short term contract. He has a great gig at Dundalk and if he leaves that and it doesn't work out, where to from there?

A lot of good points here. If McCarthy does get it, there should be some way of integrating Kenny into the system and being given the nod that he is next in line to manage the team : being 'groomed' for the role so to speak. Everything about McCarthy getting it would suggest it was a quick fix solution for 2020 but there's a lot to be said for paving the way for Kenny.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:35pm
i do find the love for Kenny a little over the top. if you just came from mars and read all the media coverage you would swear he won 6 champions leagues. if he lost 4 or 5 of his first games people would be saying he was never up to it anyway. i bet they would. i'm not against him getting the job as i have said in quite a few posts but some of the love for him is over the top. like i said earlier half of the people who are screaming for him now were probably never at a LOI game and would laugh at it most weekends. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/stephen-kenny-i-am-absolutely-qualified-to-take-ireland-job-1.3707568

Some great quotes from him here in my opinion. He obviously has a huge amount of self-belief, would love to see him get it 
I would have been on the fence before reading that, it's a no now. A distinct lack of pragmatism and realism. 
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

i do find the love for Kenny a little over the top. if you just came from mars and read all the media coverage you would swear he won 6 champions leagues. if he lost 4 or 5 of his first games people would be saying he was never up to it anyway. i bet they would. i'm not against him getting the job as i have said in quite a few posts but some of the love for him is over the top. like i said earlier half of the people who are screaming for him now were probably never at a LOI game and would laugh at it most weekends.

This. Reminds me of how Sean Gallagher almost became President a few years back. The media got behind him, his name was pushed to the moon, nobody really knew why they wanted him, he almost did it and now looking back the majority are delighted it didn't happen.
The only way is up
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

I would have been on the fence before reading that, it's a no now. A distinct lack of pragmatism and realism. 

If Guardiola was a Dubliner you'd find fault......
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

This. Reminds me of how Sean Gallagher almost became President a few years back. The media got behind him, his name was pushed to the moon, nobody really knew why they wanted him, he almost did it and now looking back the majority are delighted it didn't happen.

it seems every tom dick and harry are hell bent on kenny or no one. in reality if you put his credentials beside Mick's or Big Sams then he should not even be in the race. And by credentials i mean the level they have all coached at. now i'm not saying he shouldnt get the job but the way some people are going on you would swear hes some sort of messiah that will transform the national side into a second Dundalk. And im a fan of his.

Edited by doherty - 23 Nov 2018 at 2:54pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:56pm
If Mick wasn't Irish I wonder would their be such a clamour from others for him. A lazy  quick fix appointment nothing more than that. 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:57pm

Go the Paul Cook route and see how he does then. His only venture outside the league of Ireland ended up with getting sacked by Dunfermline. For me, his record isn't any better than someone like Pat Fenlon apart from better football.
He also got Dunfermline to a cup final, beat a very good Rangers side and while there he was awarded person of the year by the Irish soccer journo awards. 

He also got Longford promoted and to a cup final. 

He got Derry and Bohs to cup finals 

You’d swear his management career read 
BLANK
relegated Dunfermline 
BLANK
Dundalk 

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Would love to see him get it but the time it to him was either 12 months ago, we have wasted the last 12 months completely. In an ideal situation he would get it after Euro 2020 having had a successful European run with Dundalk in the meantime. It would be an exciting appointment if he does get it at some stage.

Big time. A real missed opportunity.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

He also got Dunfermline to a cup final, beat a very good Rangers side and while there he was awarded person of the year by the Irish soccer journo awards. 

BLANK
relegated Dunfermline 
BLANK
Dundalk 

Bit of a gap there tho............I know, "A love that wont speak its name"...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:10pm

Ara jesus what a comparison

I just think Kenny has done some great work in club football, even his failure at Dunfermline included a cup run. He makes the right noises (imo) and has Dundalk playing good football. He talks about structures and tactics and instructions to players. Maybe the bar is low but that is good stuff to hear. 

That's not to say it's Kenny or bust, I just think he'd be an exciting appointment. It's not as if the talk about him is baseless ffs 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

BLANK
relegated Dunfermline 
BLANK
Dundalk 

Bit of a gap there tho............I know, "A love that wont speak its name"...
His greatest achievement nearly....Wink in fairness a near impossible act to follow, and if given more time, who knows
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 735>
  Share Topic