You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Social Welfare.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 1:28am
Soccer from your experience is there any policies which you think are inefficient. Rather than from an operations perspective but actual policies that do not achieve what they set out to achieve or that the cost of the policy is higher than the benefit of having the policy
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 1:29am
Originally posted by soccerc soccerc wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Surprised nobody has mentioned pensions which form a massive percentage of the TOtal spend of social welfare and until now have not been touched.

Sorry Baldrick but pensions have been reduced, not all, but some including disability.

Yes I should have clarified that by saying what was known as the old age Pension
AKA pedantic kunt
jackshat View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Jack shat in case you're wondering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackshat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 1:38am
The state pension should be means tested.
It's Jack Shat
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 1:42am

It's not the photo part of the ID that is the problem per se but the proposed data to be held on the card concerning the client that has caused Data Protection issues.

From my interactions with various Department sections the system is disjointed and does not offer consistent service levels.  Decentralisation hasn't helped

I can accept that there have been difficulties, but surely it's up to the dept to resolve this issue and do whatever is necessary to resolve it? I still cannot see why the Date protection issues could not be resolved.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 1:45am
Ahhh the Irish approach to everything means test this means test that.

That policy is one of the reasons we have such a two tier system where one group of people largely pay the taxes and see very little back from the state and another group of people do the opposite and it creates poverty traps etc. Universalism works pretty well in many scandanavian countries.

In relation to means testing the pension who are you trying to rule out, I don't quite understand that point. Because as far as I know it is means tested.

http://per.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/Department-of-Social-Protection.pdf

Interesting reading this report.

The flexi system on welfare is an interesting idea

Edited by Baldrick - 04 Mar 2012 at 1:47am
AKA pedantic kunt
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 1:48am

Sorry Baldrick but pensions have been reduced, not all, but some including disability.

See, this is why claimants getting loot when they shouldn't, irritates me.

Most people on disability have absolutely no choice whatsover and very few have the option of any work.
Cutting their benefits to balance books is callous and unforgivable, when other more obvious ways of reducing the costs are not tackled.

soccerc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soccerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 1:57am

In relation to means testing the pension who are you trying to rule out, I don't quite understand that point. Because as far as I know it is means tested.

Contributory Pension is not means tested but Non contributory is.
jackshat View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Jack shat in case you're wondering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackshat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 2:05am

Ahhh the Irish approach to everything means test this means test that.

That policy is one of the reasons we have such a two tier system where one group of people largely pay the taxes and see very little back from the state and another group of people do the opposite and it creates poverty traps etc. Universalism works pretty well in many scandanavian countries.

http://per.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/Department-of-Social-Protection.pdf

Interesting reading this report.

The flexi system on welfare is an interesting idea

It's not means tested. There are multi millionaires out there who are claiming the full state pension.

It's Jack Shat
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 2:12am
No they are not jack it is means tested. They are just getting the money they put in back.

It's an insurance fund against them retring and they are only getting the money that they put in and if they are millionaires I would say they are getting way less than they put in.

Means testing the contributory pension would be the maddesy policy ever. Talk about a dis incentive to work and pay prsi and it would be particularly harsh on women who go out to work.

If anything I think we should increase contributory benefits over non contributory benefits as an incentive to work funded by a increase in prsi. The prsi model is a good one if used properly in my view. It rewards work and is a safety net when a worker falls on hard times or retires.
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 2:16am
Soccerc has clarifies this. For me I don't deem the contributory pension sangha state pension.

It's basically just getting your own money back. Why this would ever be means tested is beyond me.
AKA pedantic kunt
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 2:41am
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

It's not the photo part of the ID that is the problem per se but the proposed data to be held on the card concerning the client that has caused Data Protection issues.

From my interactions with various Department sections the system is disjointed and does not offer consistent service levels.  Decentralisation hasn't helped

I can accept that there have been difficulties, but surely it's up to the dept to resolve this issue and do whatever is necessary to resolve it? I still cannot see why the Date protection issues could not be resolved.

I think the argument against ID cards is horsesh*t of the highest order. Why I hear you say? Because people in their everyday lives give away personal information willy nilly on the net, on the street, over the phone or wherever without thinking about it.....signing up for this that and everything. If anything having a national ID will be your only way truly proving your identification (passports can be fraudently copied....just ask the Israeli's).

Ireland is one of only 4 countries in the EU that do not require their citizens to carry IDs. Denmark, Sweden and the UK are the others. The reason Denmark doesn't is because they have a card called the National Health Insurance Card which has all the information on it anyway (no photo), Sweden technically has an ID card but it's not legally required however now a lot of Swedish institutions/banks etc require it therefore their citizens have had to apply for it and campaigners in Britain successfully lobbied against it (even though labour did their best to railroad it in).

Well I didn't mean to rant so long about ID cards but it's a joke when a small number of campaigners cause so much noise that politicians end up sweeping policies or potential legislation that would benefit the country as a whole under the carpet.

Now back to Social Welfare  LOL

It's too easy for a lot of people who are drawing on the dole to remain on it without making any effort. A friend and I were out in our local town a few months ago and my friend made a valid observation in a pub with approx 50 patrons. He said look around which I did....everybody in front of you is on social welfare...and you know what he was right. I was shocked...the people who did have jobs were at home saving the pennies because they were not getting a free house off the council or mortgage protection or whatever else.

The issue is to do with mindset and that will never be changed. We've always been a country of chancers and we'll always be a country of chancers.

Edited by colemanY2K - 04 Mar 2012 at 2:44am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 11:11am
The State (Contributory) Pension is not means tested, it's based on a yearly average of your employment contributions in your working life.  State Non Contributory Pension is means tested.  

You must have photographic ID to CLAIM a Jobseeker's Payment but not necessarily to collect your payment at the Post Office.  Some POs insist on ID, most don't and as far as I know it's not mandatory that you have your ID but you can be asked for it if there's a doubt.  As we all know as well, photo ID can easily be forged.  The "new" Social Welfare Services Card took an eternity to be rolled out thanks to the usual civil liberties bullsh*t and other red-tape, but anyone trying to collect state funds should have this SWS Card that has your photo before it can be paid.  Electronic signing has recently come into being as well in some offices in that the you sign an electronic pad when you're signing on.  If the signatures don't match, suspicions can and will be raised as to ID of the person.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 11:53am
Does anyone actually think that the State Contributory Pension should be means tested.  Considering there is a test already to get it which is that you have paid enough stamps over the course of your career. 

To then put in another test would be crazy. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Percy View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 12:05pm
Right Welfare seekers . report for duty tomorrow morning in the phoenix park
You will be supplied with the following on arrival:

Under 65 -orange bib and a sweeping brush

Over 65- yellow bib and a secateurs

Sincerely

Department of the abolition of free money.
MERRY CHRISTMAS

@IrishPercy
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 12:09pm
Quick question, what happens if they don't turn up and then you cut off their dole. 

What do you think would happen then. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 12:19pm
if they bring in new technology will we have the usual case of civil servants refusing to use the machines unless they get a pay rise?
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 12:26pm
Whats your definition of usual Citizen.  Is usual that it happens once a week or once a month or once a year or once a decade. 

I know for a fact that civil servants embrace new technology day in day out. I think I have read one story over the last 3 years in relation to finger printing that suggested there was an issue there.  Don't know the ins and outs on it though.

Edited by Baldrick - 04 Mar 2012 at 12:27pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Percy Percy wrote:

Right Welfare seekers . report for duty tomorrow morning in the phoenix park
You will be supplied with the following on arrival:

Under 65 -orange bib and a sweeping brush

Over 65- yellow bib and a secateurs

Sincerely

Department of the abolition of free money.

LOL
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic