You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seinfeld

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 10:05am
I think Seinfeld is excellent but it’s the type of show that will not be universally popular.  It’s not for everyone the same way Frazier or Curb you Enthusiasm isn’t either.  

Watching us office at the moment and it’s brilliant.  Skipped 1st season as it’s just a rehash of the uk one. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 10:28am
I'm watching Seinfeld for the first time. I'm enjoying it but I think the hype/popularity is a bit ott. The stand up bits are awful and the music can be a bit annoying but they only take up about 2 mins maximum of each episode so I can live with that. On the plus side I like all 4 of the central characters and it's not too focussed on Seinfeld with the laughs being split fairly evenly. Overall I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the likes of Friends, Frasier or The American Office, but it is better than a lot of other so called comedies that also got huge ratings (eg Schitt's Creek).
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

I'm watching Seinfeld for the first time. I'm enjoying it but I think the hype/popularity is a bit ott. The stand up bits are awful and the music can be a bit annoying but they only take up about 2 mins maximum of each episode so I can live with that. On the plus side I like all 4 of the central characters and it's not too focussed on Seinfeld with the laughs being split fairly evenly. Overall I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the likes of Friends, Frasier or The American Office, but it is better than a lot of other so called comedies that also got huge ratings (eg Schitt's Creek).

I think the whole point of the show is that you don’t like them.  The show is basically showing they are are selfish characters who only think of themselves.  

AKA pedantic kunt
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 10:43am
They are incredibly selfish but ultimately they care about each other. I do laugh though at the enjoyment they get from each other's misfortune
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 10:46am
The stand up gags and takes are Confusedabsolutely woeful. Id be looking for my money back if i attended one of his gigs unless they were funny 30 years ago. 

But outside of that and yes, the overuse of the bass, i think it's a great show with brilliant, bizarre characters.

George Clap
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 12:18pm

Step away from the bottle  - the masturbation episode , on a mainstream US channel itself is a work of genius

George's parents, Jerrys parents , elaine boss all great secondary characters    
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Step away from the bottle  - the masturbation episode , on a mainstream US channel itself is a work of genius

I'm only on season 2 so it's early doors yet.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 2:07pm

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

I'm only on season 2 so it's early doors yet.

S2 might as well be a different show. Gets going in S3 and starts really hitting its stride from S6.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 6:40pm
Had never watched this before so started it with all the talk of it recently. 
Still only on the first season, which is only about 5 episodes but it's not really wowing me. 
It started in 1989 so a bit dated now and the stand up parts are not very funny. Will stick with it and see. 
It's also mad that in season 1 George is only 30. He looks a lot older. 
The dark side.. And the light
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 2:30pm
This has really grown on me. George cracks me up. I've never seen a lad go from absolute joy to utter despair in a matter of seconds on such a regular basis. To be fair I enjoy all the characters, even if they're pretty awful human beings .

As an aside, it's mad to see the number of actors in it with one off small roles that later went on to be pretty big stars.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 3:21pm
The whole set is a replica of Friends and then the coffee house etc...

I'm watching it and currently on S2 and I don't think it's funny, is it meant to be? - you blink and the episodes are over.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 3:25pm
Seinfeld pre dates Friends so if there is any copying it's at Friends end.

I agree. The episodes are short and snappy but i think that's why i like them. I have found myself rewatching some ive already watched as i've been distracted.

It's not laugh out loud funny ever but i do find it amusing and that's down to the characters. Looking forward to George's Dad coming into it as i remember seeing bits of episodes with him in them and they were great.
AS YOU WERE McGx

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 4:23pm
Festivus Clap

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The whole set is a replica of Friends and then the coffee house etc...

I'm watching it and currently on S2 and I don't think it's funny, is it meant to be? - you blink and the episodes are over.

As mentioned above it predates Friends and is next level when it comes to writing, tying various bizarre narratives together in one episode and just being laugh out loud funny. The magic eye picture episode (called The Gymnast apparently) is one of the funniest things I've ever watched. 

Unlike Friends which I never found remotely amusing to be fair. 

Comparing the two is like comparing The Beatles to the Spice Girls imo, no offence meant. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 29 Oct 2021 at 4:27pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 4:30pm
I now think HB was referring to the fact that the whole show is filmed in few scenarios i.e. Jerrys flat, down to Monks and back again and very little deviating. 

AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I now think HB was referring to the fact that the whole show is filmed in few scenarios i.e. Jerrys flat, down to Monks and back again and very little deviating. 

Exactly.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 6:16pm
Jerry Stiller is even funnier in King of Queens.

Arthur Spooner. Clap

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 6:24pm
George’s pre nup , the fiancée and the wedding invites - top of their game writing  

Edited by Newryrep - 29 Oct 2021 at 6:24pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic