URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58015
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 3:24pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Seinfeld
Posted By: McG
Subject: Seinfeld
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 9:03pm
Deserves it's own thread.

Way late to the party. Never gave it time when it was on tv originally and with the re runs but it has landed on Netflix and ive been milling through the episodes. Brilliant show. Nothing really happens but yet it is brilliantly done. Love how petty and childish the characters are. Just into Season 2 and the bit part characters are entering the fray. George LOLClap

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Replies:
Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 9:12pm
Class show. Started rewatching it recently while waiting for new season 11 of curb your enthusiasm (starts tonight). Seinfeld gr at characters. Kramer one of best ever but love George too

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 9:16pm
Hits its stride halfway through and never loses steam, unlike Curb. 

A lot of people say it got worse when Larry David left but I disagree with that. It's noticeably different but I'd say it had a new zest to it in the last two seasons, and they double down on the morbidity and selfishness of the characters and situations.

The finale, however, is an abomination, and is the only episode that made me hate Kramer.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Way late to the party. Never gave it time when it was on tv originally and with the re runs but it has landed on Netflix and ive been milling through the episodes. Brilliant show. Nothing really happens but yet it is brilliantly done. Love how petty and childish the characters are. Just into Season 2 and the bit part characters are entering the fray. George LOLClap

Funny , I was scrolling through Netflix last night and stumbled across it , didn’t know it was on it - great show 

Now if they could only get Larry sanders as well 

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 9:25pm
Watched the odd episode years ago when it was on Sky 1. Enjoyed it but wasn’t mad into it. Started watching it about two weeks ago on Netflix and love it. Watch 2 episodes on my lunch break each day.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Watched the odd episode years ago when it was on Sky 1. Enjoyed it but wasn’t mad into it. Started watching it about two weeks ago on Netflix and love it. Watch 2 episodes on my lunch break each day.

Same as.

Maybe an age thing and you appreciate it more as you tick on

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 9:30pm
Michael Richards turned down the role of Monk after Seinfeld finished. Worst decision of his career.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Funny , I was scrolling through Netflix last night and stumbled across it , didn’t know it was on it - great show 

You like something? Shocked

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

You like something? Shocked
Seinfeld 
Larry sanders 
Stella Artois 
My baseball caps 
My fleg 

Am sure tree are a few others 

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 3:44pm
I'd watch an episode here and there when it was on tv and always enjoyed it but never followed a whole series. Might set that right during the winter Thumbs Up

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 4:06pm
People don't talk enough about how pathetic Larry David's public rant towards Alan Dershowitz was.

He doesn't care about Dershowitz representing a pedophile, Jeffrey Epstein. He doesn't care about Dershowitz having sex with children.

But being friends with Donald Trump is where he draws the line!

Says it all about the complete and utter fantasy world these people do be living in. 

But, then again, look who we're talking about - someone whose idol is Woody Allen.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 5:03pm
What’s that got to do with show itself Prop?

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 6:59pm
always thought it was a ****y American comedy

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 7:16pm
Watched 1 episode earlier and meh 

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Don't let the slap bass and standup bits turn you off. It's hilarious.

-------------

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Don't let the slap bass and standup bits turn you off. It's hilarious.

Its the f**king laughing track that goes through my head.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 4:46am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Same, the stand-up bits are brutal and the background laughter just remind you of friends.

Don't think I'll be trying another episode.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 7:02am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Same, the stand-up bits are brutal and the background laughter just remind you of friends.

Don't think I'll be trying another episode.

Jesus lads you have to give it more than one episode 

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 10:05am
I think Seinfeld is excellent but it’s the type of show that will not be universally popular.  It’s not for everyone the same way Frazier or Curb you Enthusiasm isn’t either.  

Watching us office at the moment and it’s brilliant.  Skipped 1st season as it’s just a rehash of the uk one. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 10:28am
I'm watching Seinfeld for the first time. I'm enjoying it but I think the hype/popularity is a bit ott. The stand up bits are awful and the music can be a bit annoying but they only take up about 2 mins maximum of each episode so I can live with that. On the plus side I like all 4 of the central characters and it's not too focussed on Seinfeld with the laughs being split fairly evenly. Overall I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the likes of Friends, Frasier or The American Office, but it is better than a lot of other so called comedies that also got huge ratings (eg Schitt's Creek).

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

I'm watching Seinfeld for the first time. I'm enjoying it but I think the hype/popularity is a bit ott. The stand up bits are awful and the music can be a bit annoying but they only take up about 2 mins maximum of each episode so I can live with that. On the plus side I like all 4 of the central characters and it's not too focussed on Seinfeld with the laughs being split fairly evenly. Overall I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the likes of Friends, Frasier or The American Office, but it is better than a lot of other so called comedies that also got huge ratings (eg Schitt's Creek).

I think the whole point of the show is that you don’t like them.  The show is basically showing they are are selfish characters who only think of themselves.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 10:43am
They are incredibly selfish but ultimately they care about each other. I do laugh though at the enjoyment they get from each other's misfortune

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 10:46am
The stand up gags and takes are Confusedabsolutely woeful. Id be looking for my money back if i attended one of his gigs unless they were funny 30 years ago. 

But outside of that and yes, the overuse of the bass, i think it's a great show with brilliant, bizarre characters.

George Clap

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 12:18pm

Step away from the bottle  - the masturbation episode , on a mainstream US channel itself is a work of genius

George's parents, Jerrys parents , elaine boss all great secondary characters    

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 12:24pm

Step away from the bottle  - the masturbation episode , on a mainstream US channel itself is a work of genius

I'm only on season 2 so it's early doors yet.

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 2:07pm

I'm only on season 2 so it's early doors yet.

S2 might as well be a different show. Gets going in S3 and starts really hitting its stride from S6.

-------------

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 6:40pm
Had never watched this before so started it with all the talk of it recently. 
Still only on the first season, which is only about 5 episodes but it's not really wowing me. 
It started in 1989 so a bit dated now and the stand up parts are not very funny. Will stick with it and see. 
It's also mad that in season 1 George is only 30. He looks a lot older. 

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 2:30pm
This has really grown on me. George cracks me up. I've never seen a lad go from absolute joy to utter despair in a matter of seconds on such a regular basis. To be fair I enjoy all the characters, even if they're pretty awful human beings .

As an aside, it's mad to see the number of actors in it with one off small roles that later went on to be pretty big stars.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 3:21pm
The whole set is a replica of Friends and then the coffee house etc...

I'm watching it and currently on S2 and I don't think it's funny, is it meant to be? - you blink and the episodes are over.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 3:25pm
Seinfeld pre dates Friends so if there is any copying it's at Friends end.

I agree. The episodes are short and snappy but i think that's why i like them. I have found myself rewatching some ive already watched as i've been distracted.

It's not laugh out loud funny ever but i do find it amusing and that's down to the characters. Looking forward to George's Dad coming into it as i remember seeing bits of episodes with him in them and they were great.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 4:23pm
Festivus Clap

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 4:25pm

The whole set is a replica of Friends and then the coffee house etc...

I'm watching it and currently on S2 and I don't think it's funny, is it meant to be? - you blink and the episodes are over.

As mentioned above it predates Friends and is next level when it comes to writing, tying various bizarre narratives together in one episode and just being laugh out loud funny. The magic eye picture episode (called The Gymnast apparently) is one of the funniest things I've ever watched. 

Unlike Friends which I never found remotely amusing to be fair. 

Comparing the two is like comparing The Beatles to the Spice Girls imo, no offence meant. 

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 4:30pm
I now think HB was referring to the fact that the whole show is filmed in few scenarios i.e. Jerrys flat, down to Monks and back again and very little deviating. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 5:27pm

I now think HB was referring to the fact that the whole show is filmed in few scenarios i.e. Jerrys flat, down to Monks and back again and very little deviating. 

Exactly.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 6:16pm
Jerry Stiller is even funnier in King of Queens.

Arthur Spooner. Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 6:24pm
George’s pre nup , the fiancée and the wedding invites - top of their game writing  

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 6:35pm

George’s pre nup , the fiancée and the wedding invites - top of their game writing  

Funnily enough, the main cast didn't like working with the lady who played George's fiance. I thought she was good! The episode where she befriends Elaine and Jerry to George's dismay is great - especially the scene where he confronts them in the cinema.

The closure to that storyline is morbid as f**k, but ballsy for a sitcom of that era.

-------------

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Jerry Stiller is even funnier in King of Queens.

Arthur Spooner. Clap

Absolutely brilliant. What a character and actor. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 11:02am
I’ve seen bits of this over the years. Never found it funny at all. Same with Friends. 
Cheers is probably the only American comedy I’d watch. 

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 11:18am

I’ve seen bits of this over the years. Never found it funny at all. Same with Friends. 
Cheers is probably the only American comedy I’d watch. 

Modern Family is an uderated American comedy, check it out even if its just to watch yer one called Gloria 💦💦

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 1:08am
Watched it previously years ago and loved it but seeing it again now on Netflix it’s even better.

Curb for me is the greatest but Seinfeld is a gallant second. 

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 1:50am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Watched it previously years ago and loved it but seeing it again now on Netflix it’s even better.

Curb for me is the greatest but Seinfeld is a gallant second. 
Good to hear from you..KOH

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 10:58am
Back on this. Into S3. Michael Chiklis cameoing with the escort episode. Classic series Clap

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net