You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryan Johansson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 41>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skylarking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 10:11am
Two pre-seasons in a row can't be a bad thing though, can it? Especially considering the pool of players Bayern have at their disposal. Still pre-season should always be taken with a pinch of salt. 

Had a look at the 1st half v Arsenal. I'm not sure what my expectations were, but he definitely surpassed them. 
Sponsored Links

BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 10:52am
He is not listed in the Bayern II squad which contains a dozen 18 or 19 year olds
They play away in their first game of the season in 3BL

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 12:09pm
Hard to know what to think after watching that. Bayern clearly know a thing or two about developing players, but Johansson and the other young players looked very young and callow. Johansson in particular clearly has ability with the ball at his feet, but seemed slow to react and a step behind the action at times. That perception could in part be because of his rangy, languid style (think steve mcmanaman) but he lost possession a few times in the first 30 mins. His best spell was from 35 minutes onwards, and he certainly showed talent then. It’s a shame that he didn’t come out for the second half.

It will be interesting to see how Bayern manage his development. I’m sure he could get a loan, but perhaps they have another vision for him. He is clearly rated, but he’s not ready for the first team at Bayern. 

In comparison, Joe Willock and Alex Maitland-Niles are around the same age and both look ready for men’s football right now. Different players, different development curves, but probably more “our type” with their evident pace, urgency, and snap in tackles. 

If Noel King was still U21 manager, I’d be worried. I’m very hopeful that Kenny will bring something out of Johansson. Its already encouraging that he sees playing outside England and Ireland as a positive rather than a negative.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Hard to know what to think after watching that. Bayern clearly know a thing or two about developing players, but Johansson and the other young players looked very young and callow. Johansson in particular clearly has ability with the ball at his feet, but seemed slow to react and a step behind the action at times. That perception could in part be because of his rangy, languid style (think steve mcmanaman) but he lost possession a few times in the first 30 mins. His best spell was from 35 minutes onwards, and he certainly showed talent then. It’s a shame that he didn’t come out for the second half.

It will be interesting to see how Bayern manage his development. I’m sure he could get a loan, but perhaps they have another vision for him. He is clearly rated, but he’s not ready for the first team at Bayern. 

In comparison, Joe Willock and Alex Maitland-Niles are around the same age and both look ready for men’s football right now. Different players, different development curves, but probably more “our type” with their evident pace, urgency, and snap in tackles. 

If Noel King was still U21 manager, I’d be worried. I’m very hopeful that Kenny will bring something out of Johansson. Its already encouraging that he sees playing outside England and Ireland as a positive rather than a negative.

Johansson is definitely on a different development curve as you say. Both have been in and around the first team squad for a couple of seasons now though. Willock has played in the EL group stages over the last 2 seasons and Maitland-Niles has been more or less a matchday squad regular since he broke in to the team.

I don't think any of us are expecting him to break in to Bayern's team this year (although some probably are) and a loan move will benefit him more. As he is already playing in a European league, I don't think he'll have similar experiences to our other players who chose the wrong loan move in a league that is too physically competitive for them, stifling their development.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
eddiebro View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 4:23pm
Surprised how advanced he played. His passing was generally good reminded me a bit of Carrick. He was definitely lagging in that Aubameyang counter attack although it’s earlier in their preseason for Bayern and Auba is one of the fastest players in the game.
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 7:32pm
Starts tonight vs Spurs, it'll be interesting to see how he gets on
davekoolhill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekoolhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 8:04pm
He's still registered to Luxembourg. Has the switch not gone through yet?
Twitter: DaveOGrady1
Paul Andrew White View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Andrew White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 8:16pm
he is playing as a right midfielder i think 
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 8:18pm
Solid first half. Commentators referred to him as the Irish man anyway.
Paul Andrew White View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Andrew White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 8:35pm
what a flick from Johansson!!  Very classy type of midfielder,  he is playing in the hole i think
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 9:35pm
Was impressed with him tonight. Very good on the ball.pity parrott didn't see Any game time.
Adobolo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 9:44pm
 commentator on Bein sports kept mentioning Luxembourg every time he touched the ball!!
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 10:08pm
He’s already switched to Ireland. The commentator on ITV4 talked about how he’d switched from Luxembourg and would be playing for Ireland.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 10:10am
Well if the commentator said it, then it's fact Wink
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 10:11am
The lad on BBC 5 Live said he had declared for Sweden.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 10:57am
He's fairly forthright about his desire to play here. Presume Kenny will be calling him up for the qualifiers.

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 01 Aug 2019 at 10:58am
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
skylarking View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skylarking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 11:17am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The lad on BBC 5 Live said he had declared for Sweden.

That's just the tans at it again, no sweat.

I was very impressed by him - he was very busy, comfortable on the ball - very good at retaining possession and considerably more physically developed than the majority of our prospects. Bayern fans seem particularly happy about him. Heard he and Parrott swapped jerseys afterwards Clap 
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 11:34am
Call him up and give him a few mins vs Switzerland 

We need to tie down lads like this
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 41>
  Share Topic