You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 22>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 4:45pm

I started running and left all my problems behind
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Put a heal raise in your shoe, this will take the immediate strain off the calf. A piece of cardboard will do the trick.

Won't solve the issue though. I'd recommend focusing more on strengthening the calf muscles or getting a good warm-up drill in for the achilles tendon/calves instead.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 5:23pm
Get 2 kettlebells and do raised calfs, all you’re doing is pivoting the back of your foot in mid air and back.

Something like a kerb is good to use
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 5:37pm

Put a heal raise in your shoe, this will take the immediate strain off the calf. A piece of cardboard will do the trick.

Will try that thanks. Heel raises available in sports shops?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Get 2 kettlebells and do raised calfs, all you’re doing is pivoting the back of your foot in mid air and back.

Something like a kerb is good to use

Have actually been doing that as a stretch before and after my last few runs, without the kettle bells
Thumbs Up
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Won't solve the issue though. I'd recommend focusing more on strengthening the calf muscles or getting a good warm-up drill in for the achilles tendon/calves instead.

Of course.

But he should do both. Might want to look at your running shows and posture too.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Bham_McDermott View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 9:08am
Around South Dublin this morning and upto Stephens Green and back home... 10.5km... want to get a 13km done this month... 17km in July
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 9:48am
Got up at 6am and did 5k....
It’s great to get it done in the morning but when that alarms goes a tough decision is made. Every single time.

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Injured my calf while on a run about 4 weeks ago, so have had to scale back the running a bit. In the last week it isn't as sore but i'm just taking it slower now. Was averaging about 7 and a half minute miles before the injury but somewhere between 8.5 and 9 now. Would rather get out and get something done even if its at a slow pace than become an even fatter bastard and do nothing, but at the same time feel if I run any faster it'll go again

Get yourself some Kinesio Tape down in the Chemists, works wonders for muscle injuries Thumbs Up

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Got up at 6am and did 5k....
It’s great to get it done in the morning but when that alarms goes a tough decision is made. Every single time.
Love the morning runs once you can drag yourself out of the bed. Grand and quiet at that hour & feel the better of it when its all done
Some people just deserve a slap
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Injured my calf while on a run about 4 weeks ago, so have had to scale back the running a bit. In the last week it isn't as sore but i'm just taking it slower now. Was averaging about 7 and a half minute miles before the injury but somewhere between 8.5 and 9 now. Would rather get out and get something done even if its at a slow pace than become an even fatter bastard and do nothing, but at the same time feel if I run any faster it'll go again

Get yourself some Kinesio Tape down in the Chemists, works wonders for muscle injuries Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 4:57pm

Thumbs Up

any tips for plantar fasciitis, can't seem to shift it last 3 weeks Cry
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

Thumbs Up

Got it a good few years ago preseason training for rugby running in Cratloe woods. Only thing that worked was taking 3-4 weeks off no running on the road and got new runners. Didn't come back again.

Edited by Flanno7hi - 16 Jun 2020 at 6:00pm
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 6:16pm

Thumbs Up

Having suffered with it over the course of a few years, I know what a frustrating injury plantar fasciitis can be. I'd have swapped that injury for a fracture, to be quite honest. At least there's a more definitive timescale for recovery from a fracture.

Start with resting for a few weeks, but try to strengthen your calf muscles with stretching exercises. PF is often related to tightness in the calf muscles.

I tried numerous things to resolve mine, but eventually the only thing that worked was shockwave therapy.  It required six sessions of shockwave therapy - one 5-minute session per week.

Hopefully your's isn't as bad as mine was. Rest seems to be the solution for most people.
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

Thumbs Up

Having suffered with it over the course of a few years, I know what a frustrating injury plantar fasciitis can be. I'd have swapped that injury for a fracture, to be quite honest. At least there's a more definitive timescale for recovery from a fracture.

Start with resting for a few weeks, but try to strengthen your calf muscles with stretching exercises. PF is often related to tightness in the calf muscles.

I tried numerous things to resolve mine, but eventually the only thing that worked was shockwave therapy.  It required six sessions of shockwave therapy - one 5-minute session per week.

Hopefully your's isn't as bad as mine was. Rest seems to be the solution for most people.

thanks, yeah iv just got to wait it out, annoying though as i ran 110 days in a row since before lockdown LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 9:28pm
How far were you running each day on average 
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 10:27pm

How far were you running each day on average 

6km
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 11:48pm
I've been running with this on lately - https://www.amazon.co.uk/RDX-Neoprene-Slimming-Exercise-Training/dp/B010ASJL5G

The stories of losing 5-6lbs of water weight per session is true but you're not buying neoprene for the water weight, when you're running your body overheats and effectively turns into a sauna thus gaining the benefits from that - Detoxification and anti inflammtion. 

Any more than 10km running with it on is dangerous however, it's very easy to become dehydrated
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 22>
  Share Topic