Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=51691
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 9:49am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Running
Posted By: Sono
Subject: Running
Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:14pm
Anyone else on here do any running of any sort if so what distances?

I started doing this in March and I could barely make the 3km mark I know it's pathetic but I have stuck with this and was determined to improve and I am running my first 10km race on Sunday and aiming to enter the Dublin half marathon in September, a lot of training required but I'm hopeful.

So not only am I getting fitter it clears the head and I feel a lot better in myself too, never thought I would get a buzz from running but there you go, half also lost half a stone in the meantime without trying very hard.

All in all running is good!

Replies:
Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:33pm
Do 5k every couple of days with my dogs. Walk around 3k days in between.

Running

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:33pm
Iif snapchat is anything to go by its all you do......

Good stuff though, well done

Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:35pm
LogYourRun is a great app if you like your running / walking / cycling .

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:44pm
You wouldn't be too far off Sham

Can definitely feel the benefits of it though, a very enoyable past time.

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 12:08am
Good for you Sono.....you have got the buzz.....I got hooked on distance running after having to give up football some many years ago.....physical challenge and a new experience....mental challenge

I did two full marathons and dozens of half marathons...... was doing 2 races a month so needed very little training in between

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 9:33am
Yeah I do a lot of running, done a few marathons, half, 10k's. Really enjoy getting out for a run on a Monday after a boozy weekend or after a rough day at work. Good for the mind.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 9:36am
I don't think there is anything more boring than running.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 10:07am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Used to think this myself but I'm hooked on it now, having the Phoenix park to use nearby is great and you feel great after a good run.

@shedite how long did it take you to build up for a marathon or even half marathon? Serious training for both I'm sure, fair play

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 10:24am
I've been out this morning for a short run only about 3.5/4 miles gradually getting back into it after heirna problems.
Back in the day I did the Sunderland half marathon three times and the Great North Run hopefully going to step it up with my brother.
Not a big fan of running on your own.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: daboi89
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 11:30am
My goal for the end of the summer is 10 k in under 50 mins

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Used to think this myself but I'm hooked on it now, having the Phoenix park to use nearby is great and you feel great after a good run.

@shedite how long did it take you to build up for a marathon or even half marathon? Serious training for both I'm sure, fair play

LOL 

Do you do run the main road in the park? Always see people running it and then turning back to go again, it's one long c*nt of a road so I'd say it's a pain in the hole to run. It's great to have targets like the race series to aim for, keeps you motivated. Best of luck in them.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 12:45pm
I do a fair bit , just load up second captains and otb and you are sorted to ease the boredom
Have done a couple of half marathons, I just do it to keep myself fit for football.

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

LOL 

Do you do run the main road in the park? Always see people running it and then turning back to go again, it's one long c*nt of a road so I'd say it's a pain in the hole to run. It's great to have targets like the race series to aim for, keeps you motivated. Best of luck in them.

I run down by Blackhorse avenue up through the front of the park and back up, takes me up to just under 10km, I find that route tough but I have other ones when im not up to the longer distance, generally run 8km when I'm down there.

@daboi the aim for tmw is in around the 55min mark, when I started out my times for 5k was very slow and I have knocked 4mins off that in a short space of time, you'd be surprised how much the fitness builds once you stick with it.

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

I do a fair bit , just load up second captains and otb and you are sorted to ease the boredom
Have done a couple of half marathons, I just do it to keep myself fit for football.

What kind of training do you do for the half marathons Milla? I'm not doing the one in September unless I know I'll be able to finish it and not be walking for a few k, run it or I'm out for me

Posted By: daboi89
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:15pm
I'll take that on board sono . Just back from 4k this morning. 22 minutes.

My best 5k is 26.53

That run tactic app

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:19pm
That's decent going, another thing I have been advised by people is to not increase distance at any one time by more than 10-15%, steady progress and you'll notice yourself when you get comfortable at say 4k when you're ready to step it up and go further, there is a great feeling knowing you're getting fitter, best of luck Daboi

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:35pm

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

What kind of training do you do for the half marathons Milla? I'm not doing the one in September unless I know I'll be able to finish it and not be walking for a few k, run it or I'm out for me

Started training for 10k races first sono. Concentrating on keeping moving and not stopping to walk. Me first race was a 7 k charity race. Then did a few 10k , started getting up to 14 and then 18.

When I did me first halfer I had never ran 22k before but when you are in the competition you always push yourself more.

Best thing is forget about any other distance except for 10k and see how you feel after you do one, there is practically one held every weekend around Dublin

-------------

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:40pm
Tmw will be my first 10k race, we will see how that goes and take it from there, I generally get out 3/4 times a week or as much as I can. I would love to do the half marathon but will see how the training goes in the next few months, Gaz is considering it as well. I hear you on the not walking in any of the race tmw I don't think that will happen to be honest, I'll report back tmw and let you know how it goes.

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:42pm

Tmw will be my first 10k race, we will see how that goes and take it from there, I generally get out 3/4 times a week or as much as I can. I would love to do the half marathon but will see how the training goes in the next few months, Gaz is considering it as well. I hear you on the not walking in any of the race tmw I don't think that will happen to be honest, I'll report back tmw and let you know how it goes.

Good man , good luck!

-------------

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:21pm
I'd go running a few times a week, it's great for stress relief and you always feel much better for it. It's such an easy activity to get into and maintain regularly.

I've done a few marathons but now I just stick to the 10k races/runs.

-------------

Posted By: JohnnyD87
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:33pm
Achill ultramarathon end of august. 3 x 10 mile runs a week and a half marathon 0nce a week, training /distance will increase over the nxt few weeks/months find it important also to do a bit of strength training on days off from the running.

Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 3:43pm

I was on a route of about 6k which I used to run a few times a week, then decided one new years day to try the Marathon in Cork that year. That was June Bank Holiday so took about 5 months to do that.

It's amazing him quickly it can build up if ya go 5-10% further each week

Posted By: Gavintheslob
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 5:04pm
Started doing a bit of running last year not too much maybe 2-3kms 2 or 3 times a week, doing a couple of 5k races this year

Have to agree you do feel so much better after you have done it

-------------
Its very frustrating being a Slob

Posted By: Bo Jackson
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 5:31pm
Took it up in my 3rd year of college, would regularly run 5km on the tradmill to finish my gym session. Recorded my times when I was in my final year and got my best at 21 minutes 50 seconds. Unfortunately around that time I went back playing Gaelic Football and the switching of surfaces caused damage to my knee ligaments. Happened again a year later when I was training for a triathlon so I dont go on treadmills anymore. Between general laziness and GAA & Soccer training, I don't go for a run as often anymore.

Currently training for another triathlon in 2 weeks time and decided to time myself for the Darkness Into Light run 2 weeks ago, surprised myself by doing it in 22 minutes 8 seconds, having trouble with my hamstring of late but really enjoyed it. Will be doing a lot more in the lead up to the race.

-------------
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 8:51am
Originally posted by JohnnyD87 JohnnyD87 wrote:

Achill ultramarathon end of august. 3 x 10 mile runs a week and a half marathon 0nce a week, training /distance will increase over the nxt few weeks/months find it important also to do a bit of strength training on days off from the running.

That sounds tough going, fair play.

Strength training is actually really effective for increasing aerobic capacity in endurance athletes. There's plenty of ways to train for distance running without having to lash out the distances.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: ShayGivensBum
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 11:22am
Fair play. Love seeing people on a fitness buzz

Portmarnock beach is a nice run sono. You should try there.

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:01pm
Race done, 52:11 absolutely delighted with the time, feel like a few pints now!

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:28pm

Well done Sono... excellent time

My PB for 10k is 38 minutes....but was a long while ago

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:36pm
Jaysus that's some time SH! I was on for 50mins up until 7km then I just crashed and slowed down but still reasonably happy considering I hadn't gone the full 10k distance before, onwards and upwards.

Posted By: ShayGivensBum
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:40pm
Well done.

Posted By: Barna Bee
Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:42pm
Do 12.5k 2 to 3 times a week ....takes well over an hour but just to keep the weight down and engine ticking over ... As someone mentioned great for stress relief too....have been feeling sore shins /lower legs recently so have started to do a bit of swimming ...lucky to have the choice of 2 beautiful 50 m pools where I live so it's great too

-------------
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:44pm
That's great running Barna fair play, read about your weight loss in the other thread, unbelievable achievement well done.

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:50pm

That's class Sono, the sub 2hr halfer could be in your grasp !

-------------

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:28am

ClapClapClapClapClapClap

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 10:02am
Fair play Sono, well done

Have just taken up the running too after about 2 years of doing nothing. Doing 4k twice a week at the minute (all that have time for) and its a struggle but am getting through it, be it with a couple of minutes rest whilst doing it. Only at it 3/4 weeks but can notice being able to go that little bit further each time before resting/stretching which is good I suppose. Aim is to try run a 5k race without stopping sometime during the summer and then maybe see if a 10k is possible down the line.

I agree with the feeling better part - the thoughts of going aren't too appealing, you question yourself when you're doing it & then when you're home and showered you feel the better of it and the head feels fresher. Good runners are a must though, had a old pair of Asics and had to upgrade at the weekend and noticed a huge difference last night on the ankles & knees.

Best of luck with it anyway, keep us updated

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:02pm
will anybody be taking part in the rainbow run next month in Dun Laoighre

-------------

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:05pm
Would love to do more running but I seem to have a gammy knee. Use to do a few laps of marley park (struggling) and it would often click with the joints until I'm unable to go any further.
Often try a few k on treadmill as a warm up but then can't walk without limping. 

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Gavintheslob Gavintheslob wrote:

Date is it on and distance? Might pop over if I'm around

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:13pm

Is that the gay run?

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Is that the gay run?

Is that what it is for, i thought it was for some charity

its on Saturday June the 20th, only 5k Sono

-------------

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Would love to do more running but I seem to have a gammy knee. Use to do a few laps of marley park (struggling) and it would often click with the joints until I'm unable to go any further.
Often try a few k on treadmill as a warm up but then can't walk without limping. 

I think I know what this is based on the very little information you have given

Check out - iliotibial band syndrome

This can be easily enough resolved using a roller and stretching.

I could be completely wrong though

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 2:23pm
Started running a few years ago and lost over 3-4 stone! Absolutely love running now nearly go every day now for between 5-8 miles, done a 5k race last year and came 7th in 19.38 so was happy enough with that!

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 2:53pm
Jaysus Trig that's an unbelievable time! Well done on the weight loss, have lost 10 pounds since March basically all down to running, haven't changed my diet at all really.

Did you ever suffer from any foot pains starting out? Awful metatarsal pains in my right foot the past couple of weeks that I'm trying to sort out cos it's doing my head in.

Posted By: Barna Bee
Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 3:15pm
I started using those decompression socks recently and now the aches in my shins have subsided enough to allow me to run again....anyone with muscle aches in their lower legs should try them. 

not sure about feet though ....Althoug I can say that if you are running any distance at all ....don't go cheap on the runnrs...get your stride analysed and ensure you buy the proper foot wear. They can save you knees etc too.

A proper strectch out both before and after running cannot be underestimated either.

-------------
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"

Posted By: ParkLife
Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Started running a few years ago and lost over 3-4 stone! Absolutely love running now nearly go every day now for between 5-8 miles, done a 5k race last year and came 7th in 19.38 so was happy enough with that!

I've run one sub 20 minute 5K. And nearly coughed up a lung.
I came to the realisation that I'll never run a sub 40min 10K so gave up.

I'll do 2 or 3 10ks a week to keep ticking over.

For anyone into running at any level I would highly recommend reading 
Born to run or Eat and run.

Eat and Run being my favourite. That fella was a machine!!

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 3:56pm
I used to love running up until recently and had done a 10k. It was great to get out in the park with a good podcast in your ears. Constant shin splints has put paid to it though Cry

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by ParkLife ParkLife wrote:

I came to the realisation that I'll never run a sub 40min 10K so gave up.
Been trying to crack that nut myself - Three times now I've run between 40.11 - 40.33

I'll do it someday! 

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 5:49pm

Jaysus Trig that's an unbelievable time! Well done on the weight loss, have lost 10 pounds since March basically all down to running, haven't changed my diet at all really.

Did you ever suffer from any foot pains starting out? Awful metatarsal pains in my right foot the past couple of weeks that I'm trying to sort out cos it's doing my head in.

thanks sono! The only pain i get from time to time is shin splints really, for that run i was extremely motivated as there was one or two others that i had to beat, kind of put pressure on myself the week before but on the day i was flying! The finish of the race was uphill for the last 1-2k and i passed by many there as i wouldn't be the best at the early stages of a race, not sure if you know of newlands cross and the Belgard road i run up that hill quite a bit so the uphill finish suited fine! Fair play on your weight loss, you don't have to change your diet i eat some rubbish aswell just don't eat any junk after say 9pm all i eat after 9 is carrots and tomatoes! A man once said to me the best way to lose some weight is to buy a pair of runners and go and break a few footpaths! there was a 10k race from Greystones to Bray and it was won by someone with a time of 35.34!

Posted By: Hoosay
Date Posted: 30 May 2015 at 2:31pm
Downloaded the C25K app the other day and went out for my first run today (mainly walking to be fair with 1 minute jogs in between). Haven't done much running in years but need to get into it as I had a health check this morning and my weight was pretty shocking.

So 8 weeks for now I should be running 5k pretty handy if this app is any good.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 30 May 2015 at 2:41pm
Don't know if this is the right place to put this story but was in the pub with a mate who does a lot of running, marathons etc. Local knob comes over trying to start a conversation "I see you are doing a lot of running Gareth"- Gareth "yeah, away from the likes of you".

Top answer!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 11:31pm
Right, I have managed to give up beer and put on weight. My diet has probably deteriorated a bit. Anyway, started running a bit but when I did it before I got shin splints. Have tried to remedy this by getting a proper pair of runners, I assume cheapo options may have been my problem. Any other advice? Not just on shin splints but on taking it up? Just doing it to help clear my head, lose a few pounds and get a bit fitter, not run a marathon!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 11:42pm
Stay off the roads, paths and hard surfaces. Go jogging on grass or even on the beach and you won't suffer from shin splints plus it's better for your joints.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 11:45pm
Beach sounds like a plan actually, didn't think of that!

-------------

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Beach sounds like a plan actually, didn't think of that!

Don't bother with the runners on the beach if the sand is soft.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 10:43am
Shin splints are the work of the devil. I had them or 2 years and had to rest for that time. Just try do less and stop before you feel the pain.
Run on soft grass or sand.
Get proper runners.
Get Gait Analysis in Elvery's - I think it's free.
Strengthen your calm muscles using a towell - google the exercises.
Stretch your calf muscles every day for long periods - 60 seconds and then do some strengthen exercises too.

The key is manage shin splints by not over doing it.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 12:57pm
Completed the 23km triathlon I was (sort of) training for in last few weeks in 1 hour 26 minutes which I'm happy with for a first attempt. Nailed the running sections, keeping my 22 minute 5k time average. Smile There was another 2k after a kayak section and that was tough going but once I got myself into a rhythm it wasn't bad at all.

-------------
You don't know Bo?

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 1:48pm
Thanks horsebox, I appreciate all the advise. Just off for a trot now.

Fair play Bo👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 slab of beer and a greasy snack box to celebrate?

-------------

Posted By: jamo1
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 1:49pm
Do 5k on treadmill with 1.0% incline, just about manage it in under 30 mins. 

-------------
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Posted By: whitesideOnside
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 12:27am
I often wonder why so many runners become consumed with distance. There's a near epidemic of people who have taken up running and their great aim is to run a marathon. I do some running but keep to less than 10k and try to improve the times. Unless you are a proper athlete, doing serious training and strectching, a marathon will damage your body and cause you to become slower.
My aim this summer is to run a 5k in under 20 minutes.
Anyway, each to their own I guess,

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 12:31am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Thanks horsebox, I appreciate all the advise. Just off for a trot now.

Fair play Bo👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 slab of beer and a greasy snack box to celebrate?

copious amounts of alcohol were consumed with fast food to soak it up on saturday! LOL

-------------
You don't know Bo?

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 9:20am
Still aiming to do this half marathon in September, there's a 10mile race in August in the park which will be a decent indicator whether I will be up to this or not. I recently started running on grass and the difference it has made to my right foot has been massive, no longer running on concrete the impact was absolutely killing me. Off out for 12k in a few, lovely morning for it

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 1:30pm
8.5k Saturday 7k Sunday and 10k last night, not quite good enough for half marathon but hoping I can manage the 10mile race on 22nd August, although the thoughts of running on concrete really is putting me off. Anyone else on here training for marathon or half even?

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 1:35pm
The thread-mill is the only place I can really do long distance running on tbh.

I've hamstring tendonitis and a metal rod holding my left leg together so hard ground is a no-no and the soft ground is a nightmare for my hamstrings.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 1:37pm
Would you not find the treadmill very boring GD? Never knew how many niggles you could pick up running it's a right pain in the hoop!

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 2:15pm

Would you not find the treadmill very boring GD? Never knew how many niggles you could pick up running it's a right pain in the hoop!

It's not overly exciting but it has its advantages, I'd have the towel beside me, a water bottle, no fear of getting drenched from the rain etc.

Ah stop, shin splints are a curse mate! Take plenty of hot baths with radox muscle soak its a life saver. Also get yourself a foam roller if you don't have one.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 3:39pm
Good advice, GD. Also, get some epsom salts from the chemist and lob them in with the radox.

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 4:24pm

8.5k Saturday 7k Sunday and 10k last night, not quite good enough for half marathon but hoping I can manage the 10mile race on 22nd August, although the thoughts of running on concrete really is putting me off. Anyone else on here training for marathon or half even?

Hav an ultra end of august, if your doin that trainin above on a weekly basis n maybe a day or two of hiit trainin you'd have no issues with a half marathon come the 22nd august

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 6:00pm
That's the thing Johnny I'm not really doing anything else at the minute other than the running, need to sort it out and get into some classes maybe.

@GD and H2H thanks for the advice I have noted this and intend to use it!

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 6:57pm

That's the thing Johnny I'm not really doing anything else at the minute other than the running, need to sort it out and get into some classes maybe.

@GD and H2H thanks for the advice I have noted this and intend to use it!

If poss try get a few hours a week out cycling, gd for improvin performance ova distances like 5k, 10k, half marathon, also gd if ya can do some swimmin, beneficial say after doin a 10k (on your rest days).

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 7:01pm
Cheers Johnny appreciate the help

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 7:34pm
Johnny is spot on Sono....variety is key as well as changing distance for pace ...the body and brain get complacent....I run 5k fast or slower 10k 3 or 4 times a week.... and my walking will be a long steady 30-40 miles then next weekend a shorter faster walk of only 20 miles

-------------

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 8:13pm
I used to jog 8k Mon-Fri every most evenings for a few years with a mate but he then moved to Oz & was going out on my own . It wasn't the same and soon gave it up . This summer I have started doing it on my own & enjoying it again . If ye are jogging on the beach make sure its on the flat & not at a slope as it is very bad for the hips & will give you big problems in later years . I did 4.4k in 23mins with a very steep hill thrown into that distance so not a bad time & hope to wipe 4 mins of that before mid August

Posted By: dotts101
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 11:30pm
only really do it on a threadmill, normally only do 3-5k. quickest is 5k in 20.31 2years ago but then went to oz and soon gave up the running, gearing up to do 5k in 20mins, did 4k in 18mins 2days ago so hopefull

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 7:30pm
Completed 13k today, only 3k off the race in August, absolutely delighted to see the progress since I started in March. Just need to keep going and push myself as much as I can and I should be able for the 10miler.

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 9:55pm
Gonna get a new pair of running shoes . Anyone have any Sketchers jogging shoes or recommend a decent pair , md choice out there now

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 9:56pm
Asics Gel, never done my wrong yet. 

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 10:08pm
Got asics ones myself too, got them online for €75 and lifestyle wanted €125 for the same pair, butch you want the name of the site I bought off?

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 11:01pm

Got asics ones myself too, got them online for €75 and lifestyle wanted €125 for the same pair, butch you want the name of the site I bought off?

Yea send it on please and thanks

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 11:06pm
Sorry on phone so can't post link properly but this is the site, highly recommend them and you should save yourself a few quid.

http://www.runningwarehouse.eu/

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 11:17pm

Sorry on phone so can't post link properly but this is the site, highly recommend them and you should save yourself a few quid.

http://www.runningwarehouse.eu/

Sound , will have a flick through tomorrow

Posted By: foggy.nelson
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 11:30pm
Nike free are pretty good I find, felt a huge difference between then and the Adidas running ones I had before them

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 12:02am
If you are going to be spending a decent wedge on a pair of running shoes,its a good idea to go to one of the specialist shops.
Amphibian King are supposed to be very good.

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 9:39am
M&Mdirect are good for Asics too - much cheaper than town

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 9:58pm
10mile race in the Phoenix park tmw morning, anyone else entering it? Will be a good indicator to see where I'm at for the half marathon in a few weeks.

A huge turnout expected and good luck to anyone doing it.

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 10:26pm

10mile race in the Phoenix park tmw morning, anyone else entering it? Will be a good indicator to see where I'm at for the half marathon in a few weeks.

good luck tomorrow! Let me know when the next race is on and i might do it!

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 10:37pm

Best of luck Sono.....most of all... enjoy the buzz/event...I love 10 mile / half marathons. ....you can "race" twice a month and not have to train

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 10:28am
Cheers lads, completed it in 1:26 so was very happy with that, pace dropped considerably in the last 3k as it was uphill and a massive struggle!

Over 5k there and a great day to involved, roll on the half marathon on 19th sept 👍

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 12:01pm

Cheers lads, completed it in 1:26 so was very happy with that, pace dropped considerably in the last 3k as it was uphill and a massive struggle!

Over 5k there and a great day to involved, roll on the half marathon on 19th sept 👍

Good work Sono

1:26 is my PB for a half marathon

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 7:51am
Jaysus Hornet only seen your post now, 1:26 for a half marathon that's a serious pace!

2 weeks till the half marathon and feeling good about it, if I get under the 2hr mark I'll be happy enough just need to keep the training up between now and race day.

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 11:38am
Good man Sono, glad to see a bit of interest here for the oul running.
I'm doing the Berlin Marathon in three weeks time. H'on.

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 11:45am
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

Good man Sono, glad to see a bit of interest here for the oul running.
I'm doing the Berlin Marathon in three weeks time. H'on.

what kinda time you aiming for? I might aim for full marathon next October if I stick with it during the winter. Best of luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 2:55pm
Hopefully sub 3. Ran 3'09 two years ago in Dublin. Was on course for 2'49 when the wheels came off spectacularly.

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 3:17pm
f**king hell that is some time fair play, unbelievable stuff.

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 3:27pm
If only he was that quick to go up and get the pints in ..

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

If only he was that quick to go up and get the pints in ..

First round in Warsaw is on you for that spurious accusation Angry

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 7:27pm
Dublin half marathon in the morning, anyone else on here doing it? Not too nervous but probably will be when I see 10,000 people lined up trying to get out of that is gonna be a nightmare but it's all part of it I guess.

Best of luck to anyone who is doing it, should be a great day for it

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 8:08pm
23 yr old man died close the finish line today following a cardiac event according to organisers. Very sad. RIP

How'd you get on Sono?

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 8:14pm
Ran past him towards the finish and there was a load of people around him, at the time I didn't think too much of it but when I read the news I was shocked, awful sad news and puts it all into perspective.

On my run I did it 2hrs bang on so was reasonably pleased even though the app on my phone said I had completed nearly 1km over the half marathon distance so dunno what happened there. It was a great day and just a shame that happened to the young man.

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 8:16pm
Yeah sad alright, go for a run and dont go home......

Well done yourself thought

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net