You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rory McIlroy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 7:42pm
Hard to fault losing to a -8 round. Before the day I thought a -2 or -3 would be enough. Ratboy had his putting grove on again after losing it on Saturday. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 7:57pm
I don’t know why, as I’ve little or no interest in golf, but watching mcilroy lose warms the cockles, can’t stand the lad.
No Pasaran!
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 8:11pm
Golf is such a tough one, not much you can do to influence your opponent, on another day -18 would have been enough to win. Tough one for him to take tho
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

I don’t know why, as I’ve little or no interest in golf, but watching mcilroy lose warms the cockles, can’t stand the lad.

He gets a lot of hate, don’t understand why he comes across well I think 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

+1 The Gerry Armstrong of golf. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 10:14pm
Delighted to see him get so close and then fail! 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 11:14pm
He completely blew it today, the course in those conditions was playing about a par 68 for those lads, so 70 was a poor score when it mattered most. Nine years now without a major by the time the masters rolls around next April.

Have to think having his mate caddying for him instead of a proper professional caddy has cost him a couple of majors in the last few years. Might only count for 3 or 4 shots over 72 holes but that was the difference between winning and losing today.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 12:16am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

He completely blew it today, the course in those conditions was playing about a par 68 for those lads, so 70 was a poor score when it mattered most. Nine years now without a major by the time the masters rolls around next April.

Have to think having his mate caddying for him instead of a proper professional caddy has cost him a couple of majors in the last few years. Might only count for 3 or 4 shots over 72 holes but that was the difference between winning and losing today.

Think that's overly harsh. No bogeys, hit every green in regulation, no three putts. He didn't do anything wrong per ce. 

Not saying he didn't need to to do more but for someone to hit six under on one back nine at the final day of a major is genuinely staggering stuff. It was incredible from Smith. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 18 Jul 2022 at 12:17am
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Think that's overly harsh. No bogeys, hit every green in regulation, no three putts. He didn't do anything wrong per ce. 

Not saying he didn't need to to do more but for someone to hit six under on one back nine at the final day of a major is genuinely staggering stuff. It was incredible from Smith. 

He made 36 putts in the final round, the second most putts he has ever made in his major career so of course he done plenty wrong! 

Cam Smith was brilliant but let’s not forget Cameron Young also finished ahead of McIlroy, he was four clear of both going in to the final round, course was set up perfectly and a 70 was a really poor score given the circumstances.

Edited by BrendanD88 - 18 Jul 2022 at 12:24am
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 7:29am
Sensational round by Cam Smith. 

McIlroy's putter just went cold on the wrong day. I'm by no means his biggest fan but don't think he did much wrong yesterday.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 9:05am
Don’t understand the hate.  

Can only think it’s because he has not embraced the tricolor and his Irish identity and has gone for a more NI identity.  

If he waves tricolors after he won he would be loved on here. 
AKA pedantic kunt
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Don’t understand the hate.  

Can only think it’s because he has not embraced the tricolor and his Irish identity and has gone for a more NI identity.  

If he waves tricolors after he won he would be loved on here. 

Agreed
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 10:57am
He did represent Ireland at the last Olympics. He could have played for Team Great Britain ( a branding name that irked unionists by excluding NI-they wanted it changed to Team UK ) but he chose to stay with Ireland as he had represented them through the youth structures. He did once say that he felt more British than Irish, and his background growing up in Holywood would have been typical of many Alliance Party types who are not exercised by traditional nationalist/unionist politics and whose votes are ultimately likely to decide a border poll, but he is no Declan Rice at the end of the day.

Edited by Green Cockade - 18 Jul 2022 at 10:59am
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 11:37am
I remember when he pulled out of the Rio Olympics due to the zika virus him getting dogs abuse from the haters, then when big loveable tricolour waving Shane Lowry did the same thing for the exact same reason the same people didn't say a word about it......

Haters gonna hate
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

He did represent Ireland at the last Olympics. He could have played for Team Great Britain ( a branding name that irked unionists by excluding NI-they wanted it changed to Team UK ) but he chose to stay with Ireland as he had represented them through the youth structures. He did once say that he felt more British than Irish, and his background growing up in Holywood would have been typical of many Alliance Party types who are not exercised by traditional nationalist/unionist politics and whose votes are ultimately likely to decide a border poll, but he is no Declan Rice at the end of the day.

AFAIK not many Unionists represent this team and most if not all of them represent Ireland.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 12:56pm
True, likely because it’s a bit easier to qualify with Team Ireland rather than issues regarding identity. There was a lot of the will he/ won’t he stuff going on with McIlroy before he decided, akin to the Rice/Grealish sagas. He appeared genuinely conflicted though and concerned about upsetting a significant number of his fans. In the end he opted for the country he had always previously represented.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 1:40pm

True, likely because it’s a bit easier to qualify with Team Ireland rather than issues regarding identity.

Exactly.

Their British until they realise they haven't a hope of representing them in the major championships.

In Athletics which I would follow, there is a few athletes from the North that would very rarely set foot in the 26, while there are others of a Unionist persuasion never had an issue competing in and for Ireland until the tricolour.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

True, likely because it’s a bit easier to qualify with Team Ireland rather than issues regarding identity.

Exactly.

Their British until they realise they haven't a hope of representing them in the major championships.

In Athletics which I would follow, there is a few athletes from the North that would very rarely set foot in the 26, while there are others of a Unionist persuasion never had an issue competing in and for Ireland until the tricolour.
Sports like swimming and athletics too, a lot of athletes were able to get funding from both Dublin and London, handy little boost for them
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic