You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 8th - Repealed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 42>
Poll Question: Will you vote to Repeal the 8th amendment?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
74 [64.35%]
41 [35.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Darraghn92 Darraghn92 wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

There were 3 or 4 protesters in Carlow Town earlier with a massive poster of a dead baby standing protesting near the main shopping centre, absolutely disgusting to see such a graffic poster being used.
Same thing every smoker has to see every time they pick up a pack of cigarettes. Images help illustrate what we're actually voting for. 

The images aren't pretty, neither is abortion

No it doesn't, those pictures are used completely out of context. The legislation would not involve abortions after a 12 week period, and so having pictures implying that abortions on any grounds up to 6 months will be available is completely deceitful and scare mongering. Abortions post 24 weeks are only ever done on the ground of medical necessity where the mothers life is at risk. These posters don't show that, and imply that pregnancies can be terminated up to 6 months for any reason. In the UK there were just over 200 abortions performed at that stage. It's just plain and simple scare mongering and misinformation.
Didn't see the poster GD mentions, if it's a fully formed baby then absolutely it's out of order, presumed it was the poster around Dublin of a 12 week baby
Darraghn92 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 11:58am

Originally posted by Darraghn92 Darraghn92 wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

There were 3 or 4 protesters in Carlow Town earlier with a massive poster of a dead baby standing protesting near the main shopping centre, absolutely disgusting to see such a graffic poster being used.
Same thing every smoker has to see every time they pick up a pack of cigarettes. Images help illustrate what we're actually voting for. 

The images aren't pretty, neither is abortion

No it doesn't, those pictures are used completely out of context. The legislation would not involve abortions after a 12 week period, and so having pictures implying that abortions on any grounds up to 6 months will be available is completely deceitful and scare mongering. Abortions post 24 weeks are only ever done on the ground of medical necessity where the mothers life is at risk. These posters don't show that, and imply that pregnancies can be terminated up to 6 months for any reason. In the UK there were just over 200 abortions performed at that stage. It's just plain and simple scare mongering and misinformation.
Didn't see the poster GD mentions, if it's a fully formed baby then absolutely it's out of order, presumed it was the poster around Dublin of a 12 week baby

Ah OK because there are some referencing abortions at 6 months that I saw yesterday. Personally I think all posters should be banned, such eyesores
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/poll-finds-drop-in-support-for-repeal-of-eighth-amendment-which-remains-well-ahead-of-no-side-838297.html

Yes side at 47%
No side at 28%
Undecided at 20%
Rest not voting/not answering 

Those figures would concern me. I think it is valid, and rightly cautious to view a greater number of the "Don't Knows" as against Repeal. Many people who are silent on the issue are doing so based on the current climate where it is unpopular to argue against Repeal.

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/poll-finds-drop-in-support-for-repeal-of-eighth-amendment-which-remains-well-ahead-of-no-side-838297.html

Yes side at 47%
No side at 28%
Undecided at 20%
Rest not voting/not answering 

Those figures would concern me. I think it is valid, and rightly cautious to view a greater number of the "Don't Knows" as against Repeal. Many people who are silent on the issue are doing so based on the current climate where it is unpopular to argue against Repeal.

Taking out the 25% that didn't respond positively about their intention to vote either way that's 62% for Yes. 

In the same sex marriage referendum, the last four polls had Yes support hovering around 70%, when you take out those who didn't respond positively about their intention to vote either way.

The actual Yes vote was 62.07%. 

At this stage in the campaign in 2015, there was a poll that showed the No vote at just 14% with undecideds included, yet they ended up with 38%. 

I've always thought this will be a 50-49 job either way and I still think that.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 4:11pm
The main caution I have about the comparison with the marriage equality referendum was that it had the potential for conservative thinkers to change their mind. The opposition was disjointed and the reasoning for opposing it were tenuous. I also suspect that there were voters who voted yes to marriage equality who wouldn't dream of voting for anything which might permit abortion "on demand". The issues are sufficiently widely apart that it is hard to compare them.

However, the fact that nearly 40% of people voted against marriage equality does show that there remains a significant conservative viewpoint in Ireland, and I think we can count on that almost 40% to vote no again. This leaves those who would vote for marriage equality, but not to repeal the 8th. That is the demographic that needs to be targeted and convinced of the merits of repeal.
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:29am
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/mickey-harte-gaa-athletes-no-vote-157530

This doesn't sit well with me feel Mickey harte using the gaa to push his beliefs onto others and to launch something like this after running a kids training session just makes it worse. Not to mention the small that 3 of the 5 named gaa personal only 2 actually have a vote on the matter 
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:15am
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

This doesn't sit well with me feel Mickey harte using the gaa to push his beliefs onto others and to launch something like this after running a kids training session just makes it worse. Not to mention the small that 3 of the 5 named gaa personal only 2 actually have a vote on the matter 

That's actually disgusting. 
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:16am

The GAA? Being backwards? Never!
Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:41am
Originally posted by adineen98 adineen98 wrote:

The GAA? Being backwards? Never!

5 people from a gaa background doesn't represent the whole gaa community though. During the week ex Donegal gaa player eamon mcgee helped launch the Donegal together for yes campaign and will be many more gaa members on both sides of the issue

It' well known Mickey harte is a devoted Catholic and it would be his views because of that, That is making him comment on the subject. He's entitled to his opinion on it but to set up a campaign using the gaa associations name and to launch it along side a kids training session is just wrong and something the association should remove themselves from

Edited by ringerbell - 21 Apr 2018 at 10:42am
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 11:45am

Nothing new here for Micky unfortunately 

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 11:51am
Sinn Fein have not missed a trick to self promote with this referendum. It would be nice if they stuck to the issues.

Edited by Het-field - 21 Apr 2018 at 11:52am
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 12:16pm

However, the fact that nearly 40% of people voted against marriage equality does show that there remains a significant conservative viewpoint in Ireland, and I think we can count on that almost 40% to vote no again.
That's a good point actually, the No side basically has 40% in the bag before they start. 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 12:28pm

Sinn Fein have not missed a trick to self promote with this referendum. It would be nice if they stuck to the issues.

Ah here, mate. Leave your hatred of Sinn Fein out of things, especially on a rare issue where you agree with them.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Ah here, mate. Leave your hatred of Sinn Fein out of things, especially on a rare issue where you agree with them.

Since Lisbon 1 I've always disliked the personalisation of referendums. It's something I don't think is appropriate, and doesn't get to the issue. I'd willingly criticise other parties who are not putting up posters, which I feel is moral cowardice. I'm pleased that Sinn Fein have the courage to poster, in spite of the PP not being united on the issue, but there didn't need to be any personal aspect to it.

Edited by Het-field - 21 Apr 2018 at 1:01pm
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 6:06pm
Listened to Matt Coopers show on the radio for five minutes on my way home and he was talking about Mickey Harte and the GAA guys who have started a campaign for no. He finished his questioning of an Antrim footballer by asking why those with no vote in Northern Ireland felt the need to get involved in another juristiction's referendum. What a prick. Partitionists like him disgust me.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 6:46pm
He was right to ask that. These lads formed a group to give the impression that the GAA is backing the no vote, and they could be very influential in the outcome, yet they don't actually have a vote themselves.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

He was right to ask that. These lads formed a group to give the impression that the GAA is backing the no vote, and they could be very influential in the outcome, yet they don't actually have a vote themselves.

People from the north could quite easily cross the border for an abortion so this affects everyone on the island. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
DonkeyOatey View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonkeyOatey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

People from the north could quite easily cross the border for an abortion so this affects everyone on the island. 

I have yet to read any literature relating to the repeal the 8th yet, but is this the case? Would we offer it to anyone that arrived into the jurisdiction or would proof of residence be required? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 42>
  Share Topic